PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Trying to Balance a Cleric PrC. Pls Help.

Barendd
2011-11-08, 11:29 AM
Hi all,

I am a first time poster here, so first off, I would like to say hello!

Now, on to my question. I am running a relatively high-powered game and I have a player with a neutral good cleric who is looking for a prestige class. None of the published classes quite fit what he had in mind, so I wrote this class up for him. As I mentioned, this is a high-powered game where I regularly pit the PCs against challenges well above their level, so I don't mind it being a powerful class, but I wanted to make sure that it is at least roughly in line with published PrCs like the Dweomerkeeper or the Radiant Servant of Pelor. I have told the player that he has to commit to the class if he takes it, which means that I don't have to worry about dipping, and generally with this player I am not worried about him trying to pull any cheesy shenanigans anyways. Also, I already have all the fluff figured out: all I need is advice on how the mechanical abilities of the class stack up against other powerful cleric PrCs. Basically my thought was to require the player to take subpar skills, feats (denying him DMM or persist until high levels), and a domain in exchange for some good class features.

Any and all suggestions/comments are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sunvale Crusader
HD: 1d8

Requirements:
Alignment: Neutral Good
Skills: Heal 8 ranks, Sense Motive 5 ranks
Feats: Endurance, Indomitable Soul (feat in PHB2), Iron Will
Spells: Able to cast 3rd-level divine spells and access to the good domain.

Skills: Concentration, Diplomacy, Heal, Sense Motive.
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int Modifier.

Special:
Sunvale Crusader advances divine spellcasting at every level. In addition:
1st: Aura of Good, Smite Evil
2nd: Divine Fortune
3rd: Smite Evil 2/day, Magic Circle
4th: Fiendslaying +1/+1d6
5th: Smite Evil 3/day, Mettle
6th: Fiendslaying +2/+2d6
7th: Smite Evil 4/day, Rally
8th: Sanctify Martial Strike
9th: Smite Evil 5/day, Fiendslaying +3/+3d6
10th:
11th: Sunder Evil Item
12th: Fiendslaying +4/+4d6

Aura of Good: Class levels stack with cleric or paladin levels for purposes of Aura of Good.

Smite Evil: As the paladin ability.

Divine Fortune: At 2nd level, a crusader gains the divine fortune (feat from the PHB2) feat as a bonus feat.

Magic Circle: A 3rd-level crusader is constantly surrounded by a magic circle against evil effect, as the spell cast by a cleric of the crusader’s character level.

Fiendslaying (Ex): Crusaders gain a number of special benefits in combat with evil outsiders. A 4th-level crusader gets a +1 competence bonus on attack rolls against evil outsiders. On a successful attack, she deals an extra 1d6 points of damage due to her expertise in combating these creatures. These bonuses increase as the righteous crusader advances in level, indicated.

A 4th-level crusader’s competence bonus also applies to Intimidate, Listen, Sense Motive, and Spot checks when she uses these skills against evil outsiders. She gets the same bonus on Will saving throws against attacks from evil outsiders, and on opposed ability checks she makes against evil outsiders.

Mettle (Ex): A crusader can resist magical attacks with greater effectiveness than other warriors. By drawing on her boundless energy and dedication to her cause, a crusader can shrug off effects that would hinder even the toughest warrior. Beginning at 5th level, if a crusader succeeds on a Fortitude or Will save against an attack that would normally produce a lesser effect on a successful save (such as a spell with a saving throw entry of Will half or Fortitude partial), she instead negates the effect. The crusader does not gain the benefit of mettle when she is unconscious or sleeping.

Rally (Ex): Beginning at 7th level, a crusader who currently is not suffering from a fear effect can use this ability as a standard action. Allies within 60 feet who are suffering from any fear effect and who can hear the crusader are allowed another saving throw against the fear effect, with a +1 morale bonus per crusader level.

Sanctify Martial Strike: At 8th level, a crusader gains the Sanctify Martial Strike (feat from the Book of Exalted Deeds) feat as a bonus feat.

Sunder Evil Item (Su): At 11th-level, whenever a righteous crusader attacks an object that is evil (such as an unholy sword or a darkskull) or an evil construct (such as a retriever), she deals double damage. This does not stack with the benefits of the Great Sunder feat.

bloodtide
2011-11-08, 02:07 PM
The Compliance bonus feels wrong for this class, and it might make it over powered. As this is a 'holy/divine' class, that should be a Scared Bonus. And make that 1d6 extra damage Scared too.

Drop 'Divine Fortune', it's not that great. But for an good class that fights outsiders you'd want to add here ''All the Sunny Crusaders weapon attacks are [Good] type damage''. So he can fight them outsiders.

Barendd
2011-11-10, 05:48 AM
The Compliance bonus feels wrong for this class, and it might make it over powered. As this is a 'holy/divine' class, that should be a Scared Bonus. And make that 1d6 extra damage Scared too.

Drop 'Divine Fortune', it's not that great. But for an good class that fights outsiders you'd want to add here ''All the Sunny Crusaders weapon attacks are [Good] type damage''. So he can fight them outsiders.

Thanks a lot bloodtide for the tips. I think you're totally right on the sacred versus competence bonus for the Fiendslaying ability. I'll make that change. The character in my game for whom this class is designed has already acquired a +1 holy morningstar, so I think his ability to over come [Good} damage reduction should not be a problem.

With regards to the 'Divine Fortune' feat, I agree its not that powerful, but I wanted to give the class something to do with turn undead attempts, since it does not advance turn undead progression and requires several feats for entry. Do you think something like the 'Holy Warrior' ability from ordained champion would be more appropriate?

Holy Warrior (Sp): At 5th level, you can spend one daily use of your turn/rebuke undead ability as a swift action to bring your Wisdom into play in combat. For 5 rounds after you activate this ability, you can use your Wisdom modifier in place of your Strength modifier on attack rolls and damage rolls.