PDA

View Full Version : Vow of Peace Question 3.5

dextercorvia
2011-11-08, 12:58 PM
Would using PAO to change an opponent into a construct or undead violate the vow?

Quietus
2011-11-08, 01:29 PM
No. However, if the goal of doing so is to then allow you to attack them, as a DM I'd probably have you fall so incredibly quickly it isn't even funny.

Psyren
2011-11-08, 01:34 PM
"This spell functions like polymorph..."

"The subject’s creature type and subtype (if any) change to match the new form."

Since the target's type changes, they are safe to attack. You can fall for other reasons however; your DM gets to define "immediate potential to cause death or great harm," and will almost certainly invoke this clause to keep you from doing an end-run around your vows.

noparlpf
2011-11-08, 02:10 PM
No. However, if the goal of doing so is to then allow you to attack them, as a DM I'd probably have you fall so incredibly quickly it isn't even funny.

This. ^
woo filler characters

lunar2
2011-11-08, 02:18 PM
Changing their type wouldn't break the vow. subsequently attacking them would (they still have a living soul, and it's the soul that the Celestial Powers are concerned with, not the body).

dextercorvia
2011-11-08, 02:23 PM
"This spell functions like polymorph..."

"The subject’s creature type and subtype (if any) change to match the new form."

Since the target's type changes, they are safe to attack. You can fall for other reasons however; your DM gets to define "immediate potential to cause death or great harm," and will almost certainly invoke this clause to keep you from doing an end-run around your vows.

That was the clause I was worried about. I recognize that it is up to DM interpretation, and wanted to see what people thought.

I also wondered about using PAO (or baleful polymorph) to neutralize a threat. The way it is phrased, I think would have to take them captive -- I couldn't just leave them as a bunny in the forest.