PDA

View Full Version : 2E Fourth Level Spell Help Needed

Jay R
2011-11-08, 01:30 PM
I'm playing 2E for the first time, and don't know most of the details. One player just reached 7th level MU, and another will soon. Under the DM's rules, we will get only two 4th level spells to start off. So what are the two to four most generally useful 4th level spells?

We have a wizard and an elven mage / thief, if that matters. (When the thief reaches that level, he particularly wants Improved Invisibility.)

We are currently trying to bring the long-lost prince back across the sea to reclaim his name and title, and have a longer arc trying to stop Spelljamming slavers (who only take elf children) and another against priests of Lolth, who are probably (but not certainly) connected to the slavers.

LibraryOgre
2011-11-08, 01:58 PM
Polymorph Other and Minor Globe of invulnerability both have huge usages, though, the second is somewhat limited (it does the one thing).

Lapak
2011-11-08, 02:15 PM
I always liked Fire Shield on a Fighter/Mage, but you don't have one of those. Hmm.

Actually, if you're trying to transport a vulnerable person through a dangerous environment, you could do a lot worse than taking Otiluke's Resilient Sphere. You can use it to bubble up enemies OR use it to protect the prince from getting caught up in your battles. It's a broadly useful spell to have anyway.

hamlet
2011-11-08, 02:31 PM
There are a lot of great 4th level spells.

The various wall spells (Ice and Fire at this level) are always fun to have.

Polymorph other and self are great.

Charm Monster.

Fumble.

Leomunds Secure Shelter.

Really, by that point, they're all quite fun.

El Dorado
2011-11-08, 07:40 PM
Dimension Door is a great escape option.
Evard's Black Tentacles is great when cast in an enemy horde, though PCs should be careful not to get too close.
Stoneskin is a great defensive spell. Completely negates a handful of physical attacks. That makes it especially good when fighting big creatures who don't get a lot of attacks per round.

+1 for improved invis, wall of fire, and poly self.

ken-do-nim
2011-11-08, 07:57 PM
We are currently trying to bring the long-lost prince back across the sea to reclaim his name and title, and have a longer arc trying to stop Spelljamming slavers (who only take elf children) and another against priests of Lolth, who are probably (but not certainly) connected to the slavers.

With a sea voyage and spelljammers, you might need water breathing and flying abilities. Get both with polymorph self. Priests of Lolth cast a lot of hold persons, so you'll want minor globe of invulnerability. Just try to convince your DM that the part about it being immobile is a mistake. (I asked Luke Gygax; he said it was mobile in Gary's games.)

Jay R
2011-11-10, 11:55 AM
Really, by that point, they're all quite fun.

That's actually the problem. I could easily choose 20 spells, but I have to choose 2, and then two more, which means choosing not to have all the rest. Which two have higher overall value than the rest?

hamlet
2011-11-10, 12:58 PM
That's actually the problem. I could easily choose 20 spells, but I have to choose 2, and then two more, which means choosing not to have all the rest. Which two have higher overall value than the rest?

Entirely too situational to really say objectively "which is best."

In your situation, I'd probably grab something like Resiliant Sphere as a way of protecting your charge, even if he gets bumped overboard.

I'd also probably grab either improved invisibility, or Leomund's Secure Shelter.

But don't understimate the power of Charm Monster, which you can use to assemble your army of sea creatures to defend and aid you.

Toofey
2011-11-10, 01:05 PM
Polymorph other/self
Dimension Door
Wall of Ice (Crazy Awesome Spell)
Minor Globe of Invulnerability
Improved Invisibility
Stoneskin (so good you might want to ban it)
Wizard Eye
Confusion

I know you only asked for 4, but those are IMO the must haves of the level

My top 4 personally are
Improved Invisibility
Wall of Ice
Stone Skin
Dimension Door

Every one of your bad guys should have Confusion memorized.

EDIT: I totally forgot Charm Monster.... Charm Monster is big.

Jay R
2011-11-10, 03:45 PM
Thanks for all the help.

One more fact I forgot to mention, which may make a difference. Since we are researching them ourselves, we are not restricted to the PHB. Any spell in a D&D 2E supplement is available, unless it is restricted to a race or group we don't belong to.

Does that make a difference?

Toofey
2011-11-11, 12:03 AM
Not really.