PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Spirit Longbow: magic item question

drawingfreak
2011-11-08, 05:39 PM
I created the following magical weapon but I'm not sure about the balance of level to powers. I've listed it as rare because it was specially crafted in my world for a single individual.

{table]Spirit Longbow; Level 8 Rare
Lvl 8; +2; 3,800 gp
Weapon: Longbow
Enhancement: Attack and damage rolls
Property: You do not benefit from the enhancement bonus or the Daily power until you gather one spirit of each following creature origin or type: aberrant, animate, beast, elemental, fey, humanoid, immortal, magical beast, natural, shadow, and undead. If a slain creature fits two options, choose one.
Power (At-Will): Minor Action. You gather the spirit of a creature that you have slain with this weapon.
Power (Daily): Free Action. Requirement: Sacrifice one of the spirits you have gathered. You gain a +5 to your next attack roll.[/table]

Reluctance
2011-11-08, 06:11 PM
The property is poorly written. Do you merely have to have had each sort of spirit in order to power it up, or do you need to keep one of each sort of spirit to keep it going? Both are annoying for a bit before becoming completely irrelevant, so I suggest dropping the requirement.

I'd suggest either making the daily power a reroll, or requiring the activation to be called before the attack is rolled. Retroactive bonuses to hit are pretty strong, and I'd be careful attaching one to a Heroic item.

If you want to make it an honest spirit-drinking power, allow it to store the spirit of one creature it killed. Require a minor, or a free if the daily power was used in that attack. You can only keep one spirit at a time (taking a new one releases the previous catch), and releasing it as a minor encounter power gives you a benefit as per the Collect Life Spark Life-Stealer PP power. That alone would probably put it up to L8. Add the reroll/hit bonus, L9 is probably more fitting.