View Full Version : Swift hunter/swift ambusher variant for swordsage

aza9999
2011-11-08, 06:09 PM
I'm wondering if would be too unbalanced to have a feat that allows swordsage levels to stack with scout levels for skirmish progression, in the same way that swift hunter allows scout/ranger levels to stack.

swift hunter and swift ambusher also progress the other class in some way (favored enemies and qualifying for ambush feats). I think progressing maneuvers known/readied would definitely be too overpowered so im trying to think of an appropriate thing to progress.
One idea i had would be to progress initiator levels, effectively making scout a martial class for calculating maneuver eligibility.

Opinions/thoughts/criticisms?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-08, 06:18 PM
Feats like Swift Hunter progress at least 1 class feature of each class. Depending on the feature, they may progress more than one if they combined are about equal to a strong class feature. Thats why the Asectic feats progress several Monk features since they all pretty much suck.

Normally, when taking feats like this, you choose the class you'd prefer to progress more, Ranger in the case of Swift Hunter. Then you progress the other class to the bare minimum to qualify and stop. Looking at this, a Scout 4/Swordsage X would be useful for the levels after the feat was taken, your missing out on the improved IL for Swordsage 1because you couldn't take it till 6th. So keeping that in mind, I'd progress another Swordsage feature. I agree that manuevers known and/or readied would be overpowered. So how about progressing Quick to Act? I think that or the Discipline Focus. I'd personally prefer Quick to Act of Discipline Focus. Rocket-tag and all.

My 2 coppers.

aza9999
2011-11-08, 07:21 PM
Quick to act does seem like a good choice.

At this stage I'm looking at taking 5 levels of scout (for evasion) and more levels of swordsage. Splashes of Ranger and dervish prestige are also under consideration

Malachei
2011-11-08, 07:22 PM
IMO the ToB classes don't need much buffing, but Swordsage has the terrible recovery mechanic and is very feat-demanding, so in this case, a feat progressing initiator level may work out. You'd have to look for abuse, though, as ToB Prestige Classes are progressing Initiator level, as well, and ToB is very dippable in general.

Curmudgeon
2011-11-08, 07:25 PM
Feats like Swift Hunter progress at least 1 class feature of each class.
That's often true, but not always. Ascetic Rogue only advances Monk class features, and does nothing for Rogue abilities.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-08, 07:27 PM
That's often true, but not always. Ascetic Rogue only advances Monk class features, and does nothing for Rogue abilities.

Well all be darn, so Monk abilities are so great that those monk levels are totally worth the lost Sneak Attack dice and skills. Totally worth it :smallannoyed: I ask my self everyday, what were the designers thinking?

Safety Sword
2011-11-08, 07:30 PM

Ironic feat name if ever I saw one.

And MesiDoomstalker: They weren't thinking! EVER!