PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Paths

Mesousa
2011-11-08, 07:31 PM
My group is thinking about switching to Pathfinder from the homebrew system we've been using so far. While discussing this, we touched upon the subject of Paizo's Adventure Paths.

Do they all start at lvl 1 and take the party to lvl 15-20? If so, how long are they or the single installments? Do you get to really experience any given level, or is advancement too fast for that?

How railroady are they? Can the characters make meaningful choices, or is the outcome of any particular adventure a given for the next one to make sense? Could you easily insert other non-path adventures in between if you want to side-trek?

Malachei
2011-11-08, 07:42 PM
They all cover 1-15. I don't think that advancement is more hasty than in normal campaigns. Also, you could always adjust XP. From what I've seen, I'd also consider them perfectly playable with 3.5 material.

Some are considered more railroady, others less. Kingmaker is probably the prime example for a Sandbox campaign, as the players create their own kingdom.

All the APs follow a theme. Whereas the first APs still had been more "classic" campaigns with a generic feel, the later APs had more specialized themes (Gothic Horror, now Pirates). I think they are all widely regarded as excellent. Although I'd never run them 100% as written, I think they are outstanding products, and the map material is among the best you can find.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-08, 11:42 PM
It was, sadly, never quite completed, but the sandboxy aspects were much more fun than the actual story plot in my opinion, at least in my opinion. Just, take out the fetch quests, or at least make them feel less MMORPG "Collect 10 bear asses" style. We rule a <expletive redacted?> kingdom/duchy/barony, why should we listen to you boss us around, oh NPC?
Your PC are going to be filthy rich if they play things right, but in my players perspective opinion, this is to be expected as you run a nation.
Someone would probably be better served by buying the expanded rules (http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/j/jonBrazerEnterprises/v5748btpy8kgr&source=search) without the story.
In fact, I intend to acquire said item at some point in future.
But of all Adventure Paths, I loved Legacy of Fire the most. Playing in pseudo-Arabia, getting invested in protecting places and people, it may have been the Path, it was probably the DM, but it was awesome.