PDA

View Full Version : X-COM Soldiers

graymachine
2011-11-08, 07:49 PM
I just started a new game of X-COM: UFO Defense after having not played in a while. I'm running my squad through a mission and this is the first time I've ever paid attention to their stats; normally I just spam tech development and stack rookie bodies like cord wood.

I noted, that for rookies, almost all of them are excellent shots, but I'm experiencing a notable problem in gameplay; apparently my troops have a lot of jelly-rolls since I've had to rest them to get back energy every turn for 5 turns, meaning that they all have sub-par stamina. Should I scrap them and get new troops because of this, despite their excellent marksmanship?

Also, is there an active XCOM thread on GitP?

Gnoman
2011-11-08, 07:57 PM
How heavily are they loaded out? You may have simply given them too much gear. I find weapon+clip in weapon+two reloads is an excellent light load. If you think you'll need more ammo, leave it on the ship where you can go back to it (excellent for rockets).

In any case, they are very likely to improve their strength by surviving missions, you'll be recruting heavily to replace losses no matter how good you are, and good shots are hard to come by, especially if you can develop their accuracy from the beginning. Once you get laser rifles or heavy lasers (to make aimed shot do enough damage to bother with), a high accuracy will be invaluable.

tyckspoon
2011-11-08, 07:57 PM
Threads come and go; it generally doesn't sustain a single-topic thread unless somebody is doing a Let's Play.

I'd just get a tank or two and let it do the moving until your soldiers train enough endurance to march around better. Shouldn't take too terribly long, and as stat flaws go that's a pretty light weight one.. just to make sure, are their gear loadouts alright? They tire a lot more quickly if you've got them lugging around heavy weapons and demolition packs and whatnot compared to the basic rifle/spare ammo clip/couple of grenades kit.

chiasaur11
2011-11-08, 07:59 PM
I just started a new game of X-COM: UFO Defense after having not played in a while. I'm running my squad through a mission and this is the first time I've ever paid attention to their stats; normally I just spam tech development and stack rookie bodies like cord wood.

I noted, that for rookies, almost all of them are excellent shots, but I'm experiencing a notable problem in gameplay; apparently my troops have a lot of jelly-rolls since I've had to rest them to get back energy every turn for 5 turns, meaning that they all have sub-par stamina. Should I scrap them and get new troops because of this, despite their excellent marksmanship?

Also, is there an active XCOM thread on GitP?

No on both counts.

Stamina builds up fairly easy, and you don't need it full to fight. Regen never goes up, one of two things that doesn't, but it's hardly a reason to scrap good troops. Just hire more guys to spot for your snipers, who can stay back and shoot without using any energy.

Of course, I never fire anyone until testing for the Secret Stat is done. That one is more important than the rest put together.

Wraith
2011-11-08, 08:00 PM
There was once a flourishing XCom thread on the Forum, but it long ago fell by the wayside. Now that XCom is available cheaply on Steam and that the FPS version has been announced, I, for one, am overjoyed to see that it might return :smallbiggrin:

But to answer your question, I always found that it was better not to worry about your guys' stats until you have built a Psy-Lab.
From middle-to-end of the game, you NEED guys with a particularly high resistance to psychic attacks (PSY Rating), so unless you have found someone who is obviously a liability to you in all other areas, don't spend money cycling through them until you know that you're not getting rid of your PSY Experts.

These guys can quite happily sit in your Skyranger with a PSY Amp and not have to worry about their accuracy or other stats while still having a massive effect on the outcome of the fight. This will make them invaluable even if you're not going to abuse the power of Psychic Control and just want to play through without everyone being controlled every turn. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Wow, ninja'd by 3 people in a row. That's possibly my personal best :smalltongue:

graymachine
2011-11-08, 08:03 PM
They are all carrying a rifle, a clip, and a grenade, implying that their strength is abysmal across the board. A little moot right now, as 3 of them just died, but two of them were squaddies and one was a sergeant, so they had some xp.

I'm running with 1 rocket tank at the moment until I can afford another; my preferred load-out is 6 solders and 2 tanks.

EDIT: Normally I'd wait until I have a Psy-Lab, but I just finished a mission that took 15 turns when it should have taken 6.

SECOND EDIT: As an aside, should we work on letting people know about cheap X-COM on Steam? It's obvious that people don't since the Steam servers haven't crashed from traffic. :smallamused:

tensai_oni
2011-11-08, 09:09 PM
Load does not affect energy. Overloaded soldiers have less time units per round, that's it.

It is natural that newbie soldiers run out of energy quickly. This disappears in time because that stat, just like TUs, upgrades with everything you do.

VonFenris
2011-11-09, 05:39 AM
this X-Com has always intrigued me, and I see steam offers me all the games for 15 bucks. However, is it worth it? Is ufo defense the only good one? Just asking some guidance from the fans before proceeding to the buying part :smallwink:

PerXX
2011-11-09, 06:12 AM
X-com is a great game! For those of us who played it back in the days, it's often still considered one of the top games ever.
It is however an ancient game by now, and if you haven't played it before, I can easily imagine it being hard to enjoy in the same way. Nostalgia does help a bit there :smalltongue:

Terror from the Deep is also not a bad game, and I did have some fun playing Interceptor. It's not very relevant to the X-com universe though, and there's loads of much better space fighter simulators (Free Space!!) available. The rest of the games are pretty poor. I would stick with just getting UFO: Enemy Unknown (or X-COM: UFO Defence if you're American).

Trazoi
2011-11-09, 07:19 AM
this X-Com has always intrigued me, and I see steam offers me all the games for 15 bucks. However, is it worth it? Is ufo defense the only good one? Just asking some guidance from the fans before proceeding to the buying part :smallwink:
I bought the Steam pack but only played X-COM: UFO Defense, haven't finished a game yet. But it's really neat. As turn based tactics go, it's got just enough commands to be tactically challenging without so many that it's overwhelming.

I should try and play through another game sometime soon with an aim to finish this time. The last couple of times I've tried I get bogged down when the aliens start getting serious. This is usually around the point when I've got two squads in operation (Europe, North America), starting up a third in Asia (either research or production oriented) and a few listening posts in the other continents. The aliens start swarming everywhere and my teams can't cope, then they usually storm one of the main bases when the troops are out of town. :smallfrown:

Cespenar
2011-11-09, 07:24 AM
Also, IIRC, if you use all of a unit's TUs in a given turn, it'll eat up more energy. Makes sense, in that using all of your TUs means that you're exerting yourself to your limit.

And again, IIRC, you can put extra grenades and clips and such on a "reserve" guy, keep him in the back, and have him throw the stuff at whoever needs that item.

polity4life
2011-11-09, 07:44 AM
I always used my worst soldiers as suicide bombers. Sure, my mission score was hurt, but when you have the unfortunate luck of taking down a terror ship way too early in the game, that dude with 10 bravery and 40 accuracy that can't do anything right has a lot of value when you plug a high explosive on him, set the charge to one turn, and just run in the ship.

Of course, this required me to have the cash flow necessary to constantly recruit soldiers, which affected my base build to accomodate more engineers and workshops than I otherwise would have built.

No matter the case, it worked even if it wasn't optimal. And that's what makes the game great; the opportunity to make a dumb, tactical policy, roll with it, and find success.

king.com
2011-11-09, 07:51 AM
What are you guys talking about, Xcom is an FPS, you dont have stats....:smallfrown:

Misery Esquire
2011-11-09, 07:53 AM
No matter the case, it worked even if it wasn't optimal. And that's what makes the game great; the opportunity to make a dumb, tactical policy, roll with it, and find success.

1. Get Laser Rifles
2. Sit just outside Skyranger and destroy all terrain on the map
3. Send out mook spotters

...Yeah, Terror Missions were a cities' worst nightmare. Because X-Com would come "save" them. :smalltongue:

polity4life
2011-11-09, 07:57 AM
1. Get Laser Rifles
2. Sit just outside Skyranger and destroy all terrain on the map
3. Send out mook spotters

...Yeah, Terror Missions were a cities' worst nightmare. Because X-Com would come "save" them. :smalltongue:

And you never ran into the joy of a well-place alien grenade? I'm envious.

And yes, save can be a very relative word. In hindsight, doing a terror site mission made me feel like Team America or the Ghostbusters on their first job.

But I don't mean the terror sites themselves. I mean the three-story ships which, I was told at the time, are the ships that cause terror site missions once they land.

ninja_penguin
2011-11-09, 07:58 AM
What are you guys talking about, Xcom is an FPS, you dont have stats....:smallfrown:

ALL OF MY HATE. although I assume you're being sarcastic.

Anyway, another thing to do with poor rookies across the board is to send them in hordes with stun batons.

I had always used tanks for spotting, my troopers always instead tended to try and move from cover to cover using the buddy system (one guy has LOS downrange, the other moves, repeat), and make sure that you still have TUs left for reaction fire.

I also always liked the 'pile around the door and wait for them to come out' strategy early game.

Also, once you get them, and have lots of engineers? Laser cannons. Start arming the entire world and make hilarious amounts of money that way.

PerXX
2011-11-09, 08:26 AM

Hah, yeah. There's rarely a house standing untouched in missions like that.
This seem to be a reasonable representative of how my missions usually go: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=10432753#post10432753

Misery Esquire
2011-11-09, 08:38 AM

Well, "around the Skyranger" is literally all over the place around the landing gear and ramp. I've never had one of the grenades get more than half. (Usually the poor suckers that were a little further out than thier friends.)

Cespenar
2011-11-09, 08:42 AM
I had always used tanks for spotting, my troopers always instead tended to try and move from cover to cover using the buddy system (one guy has LOS downrange, the other moves, repeat), and make sure that you still have TUs left for reaction fire.

Come on, you don't play X-com like that. X-com is about suicide bombing, mindraping contests, alien abduction (that is, abducting aliens), and other fun experiments such as "how many passes can I make with this primed grenade before it explodes".

SlyGuyMcFly
2011-11-09, 08:48 AM
This seem to be a reasonable representative of how my missions usually go: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=10432753#post10432753

Seems about par for the course, that. Scratch that. X-Com didn't score a single Civilian Kill and lost only two of their own. That's a resounding success in my books.

Premier
2011-11-09, 08:58 AM

Grenade? Bah!

Three Cyberdisks right outside the Skyranger, with a line of fire into the passenger/cargo hold. On Turn 1.

Fun.

Archonic Energy
2011-11-09, 09:24 AM

nah, TftD is good as well you should try that one first as it is the easier of the two...

/evil

Asheram
2011-11-09, 10:00 AM
nah, TftD is good as well you should try that one first as it is the easier of the two...

/evil

Hehehehehe... :smallbiggrin:
Yes. TFTD first.

tensai_oni
2011-11-09, 11:22 AM
Enemy Unknown is a great game, and is better than Apocalypse (good game), which is better than Terror from the Deep (okay but flawed game). All three are playable, even if TftD mostly for the atmosphere.

Spiritual sequels: Aftermath is good, Aftershock is moderately unfair and very buggy, Afterlight is very unfair and moderately buggy. I suggest you play first and skip two others.

GloatingSwine
2011-11-09, 11:59 AM
I'm running with 1 rocket tank at the moment until I can afford another; my preferred load-out is 6 solders and 2 tanks.

Remember never to shoot anything with the tanks. They're for demolition work, leave the XP awards to the real soldiers.

tyckspoon
2011-11-09, 12:18 PM
Remember never to shoot anything with the tanks. They're for demolition work, leave the XP awards to the real soldiers.

Demolition work or "FFFFFF everybody missed I'll just blow up the wall next to it" situations. And sometimes if the RNG really hates you, taking out terror units in early Terror raids when you don't have enough laser rifles to cover everything yet.

GloatingSwine
2011-11-09, 12:43 PM
Demolition work or "FFFFFF everybody missed I'll just blow up the wall next to it" situations. And sometimes if the RNG really hates you, taking out terror units in early Terror raids when you don't have enough laser rifles to cover everything yet.

You have a guy with a rocket launcher for that.

Remember, the aliens can't take over the world if it's at the bottom of a crater still smoking.

tyckspoon
2011-11-09, 12:47 PM
Eh. My 'heavy weapons' soldier is just a guy lugging around four or five demolition packs.

chiasaur11
2011-11-09, 01:00 PM
Just remember what Sgt. Rock said.

Yesterday's "Coward" is tomorrow's "Hero".

I had a Commander with mediocre stats in my second ironman game. Some pink-slip happy directors would have dropped her then and there.

They wouldn't have learned that some people are immortal, even in X-Com.

A plasma shot bent around her. One of four survivors from touchdown to cydonia.

Gnoman
2011-11-09, 01:28 PM
Personally, I thing Apocalypse had the best promise of any of the X-com games, and TfTD had a lot more atmosphere (the fact that it is insanely hard even on the easiest difficulty is more of a bonus to me anyway). The original game was kind of bland, and the maps were way too small. It was the most polished and the bugs were much lower in severity than TfTD's (except for the savegame crash bug) however, which gives it a strength.

Thanatos 51-50
2011-11-09, 05:10 PM
Speaking of stupid tactics:
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/thanatos5150/DeadMansSwitch.jpg

It seems Dead Man Switches are one of them.

GloatingSwine
2011-11-09, 06:16 PM
and TfTD had a lot more atmosphere (the fact that it is insanely hard even on the easiest difficulty is more of a bonus to me anyway).

That's because UFO had a bug where no matter what difficulty you selected it got reset to the easiest after the first mission. So everyone complained it was too easy.

So in TFTD they made all your guns suck and all the enemies far tougher.

And fixed the difficulty bug that made everyone complain it was too easy.

Trazoi
2011-11-09, 06:17 PM
I never used the tanks and rarely used heavy weapons - was I missing out?

For the first half of the game everyone got lasers or plasma pistols or rifles. Red shirts get prods and kicked into the UFOs first. Combat armour will be available after a four month waiting period.

GloatingSwine
2011-11-09, 06:19 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/thanatos5150/DeadMansSwitch.jpg

It seems Dead Man Switches are one of them.

Most X-Com commanders would look at that and think "Well, at least it wasn't cryssalids".

GloatingSwine
2011-11-09, 06:21 PM

Tanks can move quite a long way and have the heaviest armour of anything you can deploy. Plus, as they can't gain XP you're not losing anything valuable if they blow up.

They are, therefore, perfect as expendable scouts to soak up alien reaction fire.

As for heavy weapons, well, if there are buildings left standing on a map, X-Com's work is not yet done.

Wraith
2011-11-09, 06:23 PM

There is nothing stupid about the Dead Man's Switch. Properly executed, it has one of the fewest casualty rate of nearly any XCom tactic! :smalltongue:

GloatingSwine
2011-11-09, 06:32 PM
There is nothing stupid about the Dead Man's Switch. Properly executed, it has one of the fewest casualty rate of nearly any XCom tactic! :smalltongue:

Although there it's not on a terror map, and it's really intended as an anti-Chryssalid weapon, as the chryssalid will definitely be standing next to the grenade and take full damage.

No, stupid X-Com tactics is giving the blaster launcher and the ammo for the blaster launcher to the same soldier.

That never ends well.

Trazoi
2011-11-09, 06:36 PM
Was there a fan patch somewhere that fixed the difficulty resetting to easy somewhere? And did it work for the DOS version?

Admittedly I might need the game on the easiest setting, but I'm curious. :smallsmile:

tensai_oni
2011-11-09, 06:48 PM
The difficulty bug is fixed with XComUtil. The version you get from Steam, GOG or whatnot also has it fixed.

The game is not much more difficult on Superhuman than on Beginner. It's not good for first time players, because you need to know what to research and not just try things blindly. But other than this, there is little difference - and it even gets easier in some parts because more aliens means more alien toys to sell.

The exception are alien bases. On harder difficulty, you really must act quickly or they will put a blaster bomb in the middle of your formation.

EDIT:
Also, best way to clear a Medium Scout, or any UFO where there is a lot of aliens at the entrance. Put the unlucky rookie in, but make sure he wears at least Personal Armor first. And when he's inside, fire an incendiary rocket at his back.

Then make other soldiers fire incendiary rounds at whatever. Terrain, buildings, each other. As long as they don't die from burns, so make sure they are armored too. Auto cannons are best for this. Keep firing until enemies inside the UFO are all fried from stacking fire damage.

tyckspoon
2011-11-09, 07:53 PM

For the first half of the game everyone got lasers or plasma pistols or rifles. Red shirts get prods and kicked into the UFOs first. Combat armour will be available after a four month waiting period.

Tanks have tons of TU, higher health than any rookie can hope for, and armor. That makes them good scouts and an excellent candidate to be first off the ship when you don't know what's around yet; they're much more likely to survive those situations where you have 3 aliens standing around the ramp just waiting to reaction-fire on whatever comes out. And I think it causes less of a morale hit when they blow up, too, so if they do get shot down it's not as dangerous to the overall success of your mission, although I wouldn't swear to that.

Heavy weapons are mostly employed for demolitions purposes, especially on terror missions and the farmstead map with all the buildings. Think/know there's an alien lurking inside a building, and don't want to risk somebody getting shot as they go through the door to prove it? Take out the wall. Want better sight lines? Blow up everything obstructing the view. You can do that with other weapons as well- grenades, heavy explosive packs, even the laser rifles are pretty good at removing trees/fences/non-alien walls- but heavy weapons do it more efficiently, reliably, and in the case of a rocket tank can be conveniently combined with your disposable scout.

Trazoi
2011-11-09, 08:22 PM
The difficulty bug is fixed with XComUtil. The version you get from Steam, GOG or whatnot also has it fixed.
Fixed as in patched into the DOS executable? Then that's great. I've got the Steam version but I'd like to launch under DOSBox on a Mac.

XComUtil has a bunch of interesting gameplay tweaks but I'm not sure if using them would be considered cheating. For XCOM fans, is it wise to complete a purist game first before tinkering around with the settings?

chiasaur11
2011-11-09, 08:26 PM

Nope. Glitch is still there.

Done testing.

tensai_oni
2011-11-09, 08:57 PM
Are you sure? This is bad then.

For XCOM fans, is it wise to complete a purist game first before tinkering around with the settings?

It is the best way to start. Even with the difficulty bug. Do not worry, even on Beginner you will die a lot.

iyaerP
2011-11-09, 09:48 PM
Oh man, speakiong of the "enemy at the bottom of your ramp" bull****, I had one mission where it was a muton soldier with a BLASTER BOMB LAUNCHER. Killed almost my entire super-elite team, eight or so out of 12 of them and their two hovertanks.

I immediately savescummed. Because there is "unlucky", and there is "The Computer is a Cheating Bastard".

Something for those of you starting out, if you want to make base defence missions stupidly easy, just get a bunch of lasertanks, and leave them in your base. They don't require elerium to manufacture, so they aren't taking away from your precious stockpiles of that, and all the previous mentioned points in this thread about tanks still stand. I was routinely able to swamp the aliens in heavy weapons fire without much of a worry about losing valuable soldiers who didn't start the mission witht their guns or armour or whatever.

Trazoi
2011-11-09, 10:05 PM
It is the best way to start. Even with the difficulty bug. Do not worry, even on Beginner you will die a lot.
Since I was having difficulties with Beginner, might as well finish on that mode first. Figuring out the research paths by myself is part of the fun.

Without too many spoilers, what's the general recommended strategy for teams and bases? Last time I made my first base covering Europe and generalist in scope, with the second covering North America specialising in research; each had a fairly complete team of soliders. The third base was in China/East Asia covering production (pumping out armour and selling laser weapons on the open market) with a smaller backup team. Then the plan was a bunch of smaller listening posts with sensors and not much else scattered around the remaining continents.

Works fine for a while, but usually I get swamped by UFOs everywhere and the two main teams can't cope. And if a main base gets wiped out, it's effectively game over.

tensai_oni
2011-11-09, 10:17 PM
Spread bases so you get a lot of radar and interceptor coverage. Skyranger has a huge range so you generally do not need more than one base with soldiers to put on missions. You can have more if you want to, or to guard the bases if aliens want to retaliate, but this is only your decision.

Remember that you never have to go on a mission to retrieve a crash landed ufo. It gives items, experience and points. But if you are busy elsewhere or too many soldiers are wounded, then don't go. There's no penalty. Terror Missions are different of course. Never leave them alone.

chiasaur11
2011-11-09, 10:20 PM
Oh man, speakiong of the "enemy at the bottom of your ramp" bull****, I had one mission where it was a muton soldier with a BLASTER BOMB LAUNCHER. Killed almost my entire super-elite team, eight or so out of 12 of them and their two hovertanks.

I immediately savescummed. Because there is "unlucky", and there is "The Computer is a Cheating Bastard".

Something for those of you starting out, if you want to make base defence missions stupidly easy, just get a bunch of lasertanks, and leave them in your base. They don't require elerium to manufacture, so they aren't taking away from your precious stockpiles of that, and all the previous mentioned points in this thread about tanks still stand. I was routinely able to swamp the aliens in heavy weapons fire without much of a worry about losing valuable soldiers who didn't start the mission witht their guns or armour or whatever.

There's a problem with tanks, though.

They cost a lot of money and research, which is better spent right out the gate on armor, psi, and plasma.

Rookies are 40K. Tanks? Ten times that. And a good killing field works just as much in a rook's favor as a tank.

And I know bad luck. The same run with Commander Immortal had a plasma hovertank die.

Right off the ramp.

On its first mission.

To one shot from a Muton.

I ran the numbers. There are 230 possible states for a heavy plasma shot. Of them, only one takes a plasma hovertank in one shot.

And, again, it was factory fresh. And that was the first move on its first mission.

Eurocom had the world's worst luck.

Gnoman
2011-11-09, 11:38 PM
The two best places for your starting base are France or the central US.

Each base has a "circle of protection" around it, which is the amount of territory that it can protect unassisted. This is a combination of sensor range and ship flight time.

Europe has a lot of little funding countries that add up to a sizable sum, so a base in France allows you to protect these easily. Because no one country is the primary source of funds, doing badly hurts less because the funding cuts will be a fraction of a fraction of your income.

North America has three countries that can be protected, each of which is a major contributor on it's own. This means that each country is more important, but victories will be more beneficial because you'll be doing the bulk of your fighting in one country, which makes that country happy, and each country is a substansial percentage of your income anyway, so fluctuations matter more.

Trazoi
2011-11-09, 11:45 PM
The two best places for your starting base are France or the central US.
My first two bases were in Austria (central Europe) and on the U.S./Canada border (equi-distant from both coasts). I spent ages deciding the European one though; it was a question of covering Russia or being closer to the U.K.

factotum
2011-11-10, 02:50 AM
No, stupid X-Com tactics is giving the blaster launcher and the ammo for the blaster launcher to the same soldier.

That never ends well.

Really? I used to do that all the time. Mind you, my usual tactic with the blaster launcher guy was to leave him in the Skyranger and just fire from there (being careful to set the waypoints so he wouldn't inadvertently blow himself up, of course)...once I found the alien spacecraft, a blaster bomb to take out the entrance doors, then another one to go through said doors and straight up to the top floor, was pretty effective all told!

Archonic Energy
2011-11-10, 04:46 AM
And fixed the difficulty bug that made everyone complain it was too easy.

by making it jump to superhuman after the first mission... some fix! :smallamused:

Without too many spoilers, what's the general recommended strategy for teams and bases? Last time I made my first base covering Europe and generalist in scope, with the second covering North America specialising in research; each had a fairly complete team of soliders. The third base was in China/East Asia covering production (pumping out armour and selling laser weapons on the open market) with a smaller backup team. Then the plan was a bunch of smaller listening posts with sensors and not much else scattered around the remaining continents.

Works fine for a while, but usually I get swamped by UFOs everywhere and the two main teams can't cope. And if a main base gets wiped out, it's effectively game over.

X-Com HQ (London)
Area 52 (US desert east of Vegas)
Research (antartica)
Kapustin Yar (east Russia)

Trazoi
2011-11-10, 04:57 AM
Research (antartica)
I've seen Antartica bases as part of a self-imposed challenge, but is there a benefit to putting one there if you're playing normally? Other than the cool factor?

Archonic Energy
2011-11-10, 05:04 AM
I've seen Antartica bases as part of a self-imposed challenge, but is there a benefit to putting one there if you're playing normally? Other than the cool factor?

less likely to be found as there is little scout activity
less likely to be invaded as... see above.

there's a reason i house 254 Scientists & 4 tanks there!

GloatingSwine
2011-11-10, 07:34 AM
Really? I used to do that all the time. Mind you, my usual tactic with the blaster launcher guy was to leave him in the Skyranger and just fire from there (being careful to set the waypoints so he wouldn't inadvertently blow himself up, of course)...once I found the alien spacecraft, a blaster bomb to take out the entrance doors, then another one to go through said doors and straight up to the top floor, was pretty effective all told!

Just make sure he doesn't see anything. Best thing is to have him standing on a pile of ammo.

factotum
2011-11-10, 08:17 AM
Just make sure he doesn't see anything. Best thing is to have him standing on a pile of ammo.

Pretty sure it was possible to switch off reaction fire to prevent any little accidents...

GloatingSwine
2011-11-10, 09:01 AM
Pretty sure it was possible to switch off reaction fire to prevent any little accidents...

Only by walking around in circles until you had no TU left.

tensai_oni
2011-11-10, 09:49 AM
by making it jump to superhuman after the first mission... some fix! :smallamused:

This is an urban legend.

Asheram
2011-11-10, 10:42 AM
That does remind me though. Chiasaur, isn't it time for another X-com lets play soon? ;)

graymachine
2011-11-10, 11:48 AM
In case anyone is interested:
XCOM Rename Petition (http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/renamexcom)

graymachine
2011-11-10, 12:03 PM
That does remind me though. Chiasaur, isn't it time for another X-com lets play soon? ;)

This, seconded.

Archonic Energy
2011-11-10, 12:30 PM
This is an urban legend.

shhhhh. it makes me feel better about myself for beating this if i beleive that.

Thanatos 51-50
2011-11-10, 02:01 PM
Most X-Com commanders would look at that and think "Well, at least it wasn't cryssalids".

I almost never have issues with Chrysallids. It seems liberal use of full-auto laser rifles and pistols and razing houses takes care of that.

chiasaur11
2011-11-10, 02:16 PM

Well, I did one on another forum a couple months back, which covered me for a bit.

Of course, you tailor work to an audience to some degree, and it might not suit all the same tastes. Bare minimum on potential issues, the language is less PG-13 and more HBO original programming.

Still, if you want a link, I could wrangle it. Just, you know, fair warning.

Slayn82
2011-11-10, 03:14 PM
Xenonauts is looking gorgeous. Guess i'm gonna have to spare some of my Christmas cash on pre-order of that game.

graymachine
2011-11-10, 10:39 PM
I'd like to be part of a LP for X-Com, mostly because I've watched a few and don't really understand how everyone contributes; I think I'd enjoy the experience. If there's one coming up here, or if someone can point me to a thread where it's starting up, I'd be very grateful. :smallsmile:

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-11-10, 10:49 PM
I'd like to be part of a LP for X-Com, mostly because I've watched a few and don't really understand how everyone contributes; I think I'd enjoy the experience. If there's one coming up here, or if someone can point me to a thread where it's starting up, I'd be very grateful. :smallsmile:

Nothing will ever compare to Cheesegear's X-Com LP. That one was amazing, I fell in love with Cheesegear then.

iyaerP
2011-11-10, 11:13 PM
Oh man, provide link? Cuz cheesegear does awesometacular writing stuffs, and I am really bored at work right now.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-11-10, 11:20 PM
I lied, it was chiasaur11. I get the two of them confused all the time.
Started way back in June, 2009 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116489)
Ended in August.

He did some LP's with the later games too, but they weren't as brilliant.

chiasaur11
2011-11-11, 12:09 AM
I lied, it was chiasaur11. I get the two of them confused all the time.
Started way back in June, 2009 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116489)
Ended in August.

He did some LP's with the later games too, but they weren't as brilliant.

Pity.

Not the "Not as brilliant" thing. Although to some degree, that, let's be honest. The whole "best work behind you"...
More the not having something new to read. Ah well, such is life.