PDA

View Full Version : How does one find a D&D game in meatspace?

The Succubus
2011-11-09, 07:35 AM
Howdy,

I've been interested in D&D for quite a while now, got my 3.5 rulebook set and am engaged in a couple of PbP games, but what I really want to do is play a game with real, living, breathing people. The only problem is that I have no idea where to start looking.

Work is not an option as the people I work with are all somewhat older than me and preoccupied with families and whatnot, plus my geekdar is showing up empty.

My two friends are also preoccupied with families at the moment, together with the fact that we all live some distance apart and that meeting up is something of a difficulty for us.

So, mysterious denizens of non-meatspace, can you help this London based 30-something finally play his first game of D&D 3.5 with real dice? :smallsmile:

Eldan
2011-11-09, 07:42 AM
Your country may in fact contain comic- and/or gamestores, which could provide helpful here. Alternatively, try the fantasy section of a local bookstore. I've actually found a fellow geek there. He worked at the counter.

Alternatively: I know for a fact that there are tons of England- and London-based people on these boards. Go over to General Discussion, maybe and make a "Hello, anyone from London?" thread?

Knaight
2011-11-09, 08:03 AM
My two friends are also preoccupied with families at the moment, together with the fact that we all live some distance apart and that meeting up is something of a difficulty for us.

What about the rest of your friends? If you have any nerdy connections, inviting them for a game could easily work, as could making a D&D joke and seeing what happens - I have a friend and had a gaming group because someone did that when I was around, and we both hung out and acted like huge nerds for a while because it was clear we had similar hobbies. Now we are still friends, and occasionally are able to game together.

The Random NPC
2011-11-09, 09:07 AM
There are various sites dedicated to getting people together, such as meetup.com or gamers seeking gamers at enworld.org. Registering at one of those may give surprising results.

Edit: Fixed a typo.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-09, 09:15 AM
If you can I suggest looking in Gamestores or hobby stores I met my current group in one of those. Though it is possible the group you find plays another systems like 4e or something completely different like WoD, in that case you should try it anyway as you might like it and maybe even convince the group to try other things.

caden_varn
2011-11-09, 10:16 AM
You could have a look at Leisure Games Clubs and players noticeboard http://www.leisuregames.com/acatalog/ClubsAndPlayers.html.

They are London-based, so you are likely to find clubs in the area at least. Not used it myself, so no idea how up to date it is.

Talesin
2011-11-09, 12:14 PM
You say London based so i'd advise having a look at http://www.ukroleplayers.com/forum/. They've got a big list of clubs plus a section that people post on who are specifically looking for players or are players looking for games near them.

Given it's London i'd be fairly certain that there will be at least one game somewhere near you or at least a tube ride away. Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for!

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-09, 12:48 PM
Go to your local comic or gaming store, ask to see where their bulletin board with all of the 'seeking game' or 'seeking gamers' ads are, and when they have open gaming sessions in the store. If they don't have that sort of thing, look very very confused and start asking them why not...

Dr.Epic
2011-11-09, 12:50 PM
Search for gaming shops. You're find people there.

kaomera
2011-11-09, 07:31 PM
Try this out:

http://www.meetup.com/London-DnD/events/39927152/

Stallion
2011-11-10, 08:29 AM
Make posters. Serious about that one.

The Reverend
2011-11-10, 04:59 PM
Posters with a little tearable email on them will net a wide varity of gamers. I would talk with geek and nerd friends.

Jayabalard
2011-11-10, 05:24 PM
Work is not an option as the people I work with are all somewhat older than me and preoccupied with families and whatnot, plus my geekdar is showing up empty.You might not want to assume...

My Google-fu turns up: http://www.orcsnest.com/clubs.htm

might be worth looking into

Psyren
2011-11-10, 11:13 PM
Definitely seconding Meetup. I found 4 different sessions (two of them Pathfinder Society) through them before moving away.

Knaight
2011-11-11, 12:48 AM
You might not want to assume...

That is very true. Some of us have practiced not showing up on geek-dar. And really, compared to some secret keeping (such as being a religious minority or something) it is effortless.

urgcalech
2011-11-11, 01:49 AM
Think you guys must follow the basic rule of the games. allow me to tell you the way to play this one.

Find group.
Create character based on GM's setting and other requirements.
To play, roll d20 and add bonuses/subtract penalties, and compare to target number to determine success.
Creating a character:
Have a character sheet to record character information.
Choose race of character.
Choose character class of character.
Figure out what scheme of character point allocations the GM wants.
Use said scheme to create six basic stats for character. Adjust based on racial bonuses/penalties if necessary. Record other racial features.
Give character class features up to the level specified by GM.
Derive Save bonuses based on class save bonuses (up to specified level) and appropriate basic stats.
Choose feats. (Be wary of prerequisites.)
Determine what skills are class skills based on class. Derive number of skill points per level. Multiply by four. Distribute skill points as among skills; non-class skill ranks cost double. Sum ranks and inherent bonuses to find net bonuses to each skill.
Choose magic spells, psionic powers, eldritch blasts, etc. as appropriate to class.
Ask GM for funds and/or starting items. Buy weapons, armor, and equipment.
Calculate AC and HP.
Create backstory if desired.
Create name, choose eye color, hair color, etc..

suhkkaet
2011-11-11, 07:06 AM
I'm currently away from my "Dungeons & Dragons for Dummies"-book, but it does provide a few helpful pointers as to how/where to find other people who play.
As others have suggested, the internet is a great resource of finding someone (although, it's enworld.org, not enworld.com..).
A local gaming-store is also great (and given that you're in the London Area, I know there are at least a few around), alternatively, book stores and libraries are great places to look for people. Hell, even your local coffe-shop might be great.

So, ask the clerk at those places if they know someone who plays. If the answer is all negative, ask them if they have a place where people can put up posters and such. If they do, look at it to find someone - if there's nothing, you could put up your own ("looking for group")! If they don't, try the next place.
Also look around your local campus or college (or similar), they're (almost) bound to have at least some knowledge about someone who knows something.

If all else fails, start your own group. Do what you've been doing already, but instead of looking for a group to join, look for people to join your group. If any of the people who've spoken with (thus far) have expressed interest, grab 'em while you can.
Put up posters at the places you've visited, where you leave a contact number (or email), and find some people.

If you're afraid of starting a group of your own (either because you're not rules-savvy enough or whatever), pick up a copy of "Dungeons and Dragons for Dummies" and read through the DM's section. You might not be the best DM in the first few sessions, but practice makes perfect as they say.
It also includes a sample adventure and ready-to-play characters for any new players (and DM's) to go through.
Even if it is a "for Dummies" book, I believe a lot of people might benefit from reading through it. I read through it, and even though I've been playing for nearly 10 years, I still learned something.

PS. there's a section (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51) on these fora which is dedicated to the whole "finding people". Either post a thread there, or search through it to see if you can find someone already looking.

PPS. If you're like me, you'll not want to actually go out and ask people like that. In that case, looking at the internet and billboards is optimal - mostly because, if the billboard has anything, you're minimizing the amount of people you need to get in contact with. And if it doesn't, you can put up your own, with a contact email (a newly made email works), where people can write to you (and you can answer on your own terms).

Edit;
I've been looking for a group for a while myself. It's easier than it sounds, but it takes a determined mindset. I found people to play with at my local bar, because the subject randomly came up.
Sometimes, even the most unexpected people will want to play. (Hell, my fiancée plays now, too!)
PPPS. I didn't mean for this post to be such a WOT. Sorry. :smalleek:

Templarkommando
2011-11-12, 07:41 PM
You can always try getting a fake beard and sitting in the darkest corner of your local pub. That always seems to work.

Psyren
2011-11-14, 03:08 PM
You can always try getting a fake beard and sitting in the darkest corner of your local pub. That always seems to work.

And don't say anything. Just stare into your mug a little. Get an eyepatch too if you can.

Eldan
2011-11-14, 03:37 PM
And a cloak.