PDA

View Full Version : Core Skills: Help Me Refine the Class Skill System of 3.5

wayfare
2011-11-09, 01:27 PM
Hey All:

I had an idea recently to add a bit of versatility to the 3.5 classes.

Basically, each class would get a set of 4-6 skills that were defining features of the class.

Each character would also get 5 skill choices that would be considered class skills no matter what their class was -- so you could make a Fighter who takes UMB, Spot, and Seach as class skills. This choice is made at character creation, and is more like a racial feature than anything else.

I was wondering if anyone could give me help making the narrowed-down class skill list for the core classes.

Many Thanks

--wayfare

erikun
2011-11-09, 01:44 PM
One thing that I do is give Knowledge: Local and Search to all classes, because being observant and knowing your neighbors shouldn't be that difficult to accomplish. I've also considered giving more "generic" classes a choice of at least a couple of skills. The Fighter, for example, would be able to choose any two skills to add to their skill list, like the Expert/Human Paragon. (I also gave the Fighter Appraise, Use Rope, and physical stuff like Balance. And 4+INT skill points.)

If you are looking at 4-6 defining skills, you might want to increase the number of skill points various classes have. The Fighter or Cleric with 2+INT generally have difficulty covering 4 skills, typically requiring Human and a small investment in INT to do so.

kulosle
2011-11-09, 02:49 PM
something i've done in before is let characters add their int mod of skills to there list. and those skills are always class skill. this is to represent the characters personal tendency to practice certain skills. just because a bard starts adventuring on the open seas (became a dread pirate) doesn't mean he can't practice singing. now if you wanted a few key skills based of class, i wouldn't do more then 1-2. or you could make it based of the classes skill points, classes that get 2+int only get 2, while the rogue would get 8. just a thought. actually half that. you don't want a character spending all their available skill points on this. so 1-4 depending on the class

bard:perform (all of them or any 3)
barbarian: intimidate
cleric: heal or diplomacy for good bluff or intimidate for evil? not sure
druid:handle animal, survival
fighter:craft (any one)
monk: any two physical stats maybe jump, balance
paladin: heal (different ones for the different aligned paladins)
ranger: ride, handle animal
sorcerer: spellcraft or knowledge arcana
wizard: any one knowledge