PDA

View Full Version : Attack Dogs!!

Hefty Lefty
2011-11-09, 02:07 PM
Hey everyone.

I have a Paladin and I essentially want to give him a police dog German Shepard. I've maxed out Handle Animal, but the kind of dog listed in the SRD simply isn't strong at all. The paladin is only level 3 and already the dog's +2 attack, 1d4+1 damage, and 6hp is pretty pathetic. The SRD entry for "Dog" is recorded to "describe a fairly small dog of about 20 to 50 pounds in weight." A K-9 is a strong German Shepard male - typically about 80 pounds. Are there any books which list an improved dog?

Chilingsworth
2011-11-09, 02:12 PM
Hey everyone.

I have a Paladin and I essentially want to give him a police dog German Shepard. I've maxed out Handle Animal, but the kind of dog listed in the SRD simply isn't strong at all. The paladin is only level 3 and already the dog's +2 attack, 1d4+1 damage, and 6hp is pretty pathetic. The SRD entry for "Dog" is recorded to "describe a fairly small dog of about 20 to 50 pounds in weight." A K-9 is a strong German Shepard male - typically about 80 pounds. Are there any books which list an improved dog?

Umm... try the riding dog (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dogRiding.htm)?

Or the Wolf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/wolf.htm)

Hefty Lefty
2011-11-09, 02:17 PM
Welp, I feel dumb. I read "riding" and just instantly thought it wouldn't be good for fighting. It's still a bit weak though...

Is there a way to change the Paladin Mount feature I'll get in two levels to something like a "Paladin Animal Companion?" I'm not a huge fan of horses... they can't enter buildings/dungeons and they give your whole party away in any sneaking event.

Chilingsworth
2011-11-09, 02:21 PM
Welp, I feel dumb. I read "riding" and just instantly thought it wouldn't be good for fighting. It's still a bit weak though...

Is there a way to change the Paladin Mount feature I'll get in two levels to something like a "Paladin Animal Companion?" I'm not a huge fan of horses... they can't enter buildings/dungeons and they give your whole party away in any sneaking event.

I believe a small-sized paladin can take a riding dog as a special mount. Maybe you could get your DM to let you chose one even as a non-small character? Not quite what you want, but it would be a start.

Hefty Lefty
2011-11-09, 02:25 PM
I believe a small-sized paladin can take a riding dog as a special mount. Maybe you could get your DM to let you chose one even as a non-small character? Not quite what you want, but it would be a start.

Perhaps. I'll see what he says come two levels. Thanks!

navar100
2011-11-09, 03:37 PM
No harm in changing Bonded Mount into Bonded Dog. Adjust numbers as necessary so that the Dog can live long and prosper as the levels increase. At some higher level, the Dog can get a holy transformation into a Blink Dog. DM may want to require a feat cost for that. Call it Improved Bonded Mount as a house rule feat if not already published somewhere.

Sappy: At some high level when it's possible, get Leadership feat and have your cohort be a Hound Archon. :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2011-11-09, 03:39 PM
Well, considering the difference between "Dog" and "Riding Dog" in the MM, Riding Dog is definitely the better choice. Better stats all around.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-09, 03:46 PM
Great Modthulhu: Thread moved to the 28/8 Edition subforum.

Burble.

JaronK
2011-11-09, 07:21 PM
IIRC Halflings can already get a Riding Dog as a Special Mount anyway. So you could just get it and not ride it.

Another option is to do the whole Supermount thing, though this would require not being lawful, and does take a while to get going (IIRC around level 12 before the build actually comes together). A basic build would be Fey Variant Divine Bard 5/Animal Domain Cleric 1/PrC Ranger 1/PrC Paladin of Freedom 2/Halfling Outrider 10. You'd have to be a Halfling of course, but using Devoted Tracker (makes your mount + animal companion bonuses all stack on one creature) with Holy Mount (all divine classes stack with Paladin levels for purposes of your mount) gives you some serious benefits. Halfling Outrider is notable because it stacks for Druid, Ranger, and Paladin Mounts/Companions. So with this you'd have an effective Druid level of 26 for Animal Companion benefits and 21 Paladin levels for purposes of mounts. Not too shabby.

Or as a very basic thing if you just want a better doggy, consider ClericX/PrC Paladin 2/Other Divine Casting PrC Y with Holy Mount. Holy Mount means all your divine levels stack for your mount, but PrC Paladin gets level +3 for mount purposes, so you've got a better mount (and much better casting of course). Combine this with DMM:Persistant buffs that effect your doggie (Vigorous Circle, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, etc) and you should be good to go.

JaronK

Psyren
2011-11-09, 07:25 PM
Give him a Blink Dog! They are LG and kick ass :smallsmile:

Aegis013
2011-11-09, 07:31 PM
If you just want to purchase an animal, or capture a wild one (could be a fun adventure if your DM wants to do that) you could see if you could get templates applied. Hunt down an elusive Dark Riding Dog (Dark creature template from ToM) or see if you can find a Feral Wolf or something (Feral creature is from Savage Species).

Otherwise see if you can purchase a Warbeast or train your animal to gain the Warbeast template (MMII).

Such things can help the creature to be a bit tougher, but they'll still fall behind in power, I'd suspect.

gorfnab
2011-11-09, 07:33 PM
Magebred Warbeast Riding Dog

vitkiraven
2011-11-09, 10:48 PM
What bout the Wild Cohort feat? A way to boost the dogs power without sapping you bonded mount. Then again, if its DM™ approved, you could use it with your bonded mount for those feats and PRC's.

Coidzor
2011-11-09, 11:04 PM
28/8?

*turns laptop sideways*

Nope. Still don't get it. :smallconfused:

Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) link for ya.

I think the pfsrd has some things on it that can beef up a dog a bit more than standard riding dog.

Keld Denar
2011-11-09, 11:05 PM
28/8 = 3.5

What's a Burble?

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-09, 11:06 PM
Do the division. 28 / 8 = ?

hewhosaysfish
2011-11-10, 08:23 AM
What's a Burble?

I'm not sure it means anything; I think it's just a noise that Eldritch Horrors in the Playground make. Although if anyone would know for sure I would have thought it would be the man with the Fhtagn-Dasz avatar...

Tokuhara
2011-11-10, 09:06 AM
Hey everyone.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff427/Jared_Ryan_Hays/Releasethehounds.jpg

The Glyphstone
2011-11-10, 10:37 AM
28/8 = 3.5

What's a Burble?

I'm not sure it means anything; I think it's just a noise that Eldritch Horrors in the Playground make. Although if anyone would know for sure I would have thought it would be the man with the Fhtagn-Dasz avatar...

It's the sound of a content Eldritch Horror, performing Eldritch Horror duties that don't require invoking the wrath of the Elder Mods.