PDA

View Full Version : DnD 3.5 Prestige Class: Troubadour--Mounted Healer (PEACH)

desmond1323
2011-11-09, 02:59 PM
I had been replaying Fire Emblem a while back, and was inspired for this from the Troubadour there. Of the few classes and PrCs I've made, this is perhaps one I feel is the most solid about. But as ever, I shall ask the playground what they think. This is a little dated, and probably needs a little bit of polish to clean it up some, but tell me what you think. Thanks as ever!

The Troubadour

On the battlefield, those with the power to heal are cherished—a miraculous sight to allies and cursed by their enemies. The Troubadour specializes in getting their healing magic to those who need it as soon as they possibly can. Riding atop the swiftest of steeds, they dart amongst their allies to keep them safe and healthy. Coming from a musical tradition, the Troubadour also supports his allies with musical talents not dissimilar to the Bard—eventually, even the music of the Troubadour can heal. Troubadours also wander the lands, healing not only mortal wounds in the midst of combat, but spreading tunes and tales to all they can. For a Troubadour, healing is more than just curing the sick and injured, it is also easing the mind and uplifting the spirit.

Limits: Must be Good.

HD: d6
Proficiencies: No new proficiencies gained.
Skills: Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Gather information, Knowledge (all, individually), Listen, Perform, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device.
Skill Points: 4 + Int mod per level

Requirements: Bardic music ability. 9 ranks in Perform. 9 ranks in Heal. Mounted Combat feat

TROUBADOUR
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells Per Day

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Minstrel, Healing Specialty, Master Healer, Swiftest Cure 1/day|
+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Unstoppable Healer|

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Mounted Physician (+10 ft, +2 AC), Swiftest Cure 2/day|

4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Emergency Aid 4/day|

5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Unicorn Mount, Swiftest Cure 3/day|

6th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Sonorous Heal, Mounted Physician (+20 ft, +4 AC), Emergency Heal 6/day|

7th|
+3|
+2|
+2|
+5|Healing Song, Swiftest Cure 4/day|

8th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+6|Panacea Touch, Emergency Aid 4/day|

9th|
+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Swiftest Cure 5/day, Mounted Physician (+30ft, +6 AC)|

10th|
+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Song of Life|
[/table]

Abilities:

*Spells per day. The Troubadour focuses on healing and with it the magic that fuels it. A Troubadour gains spells and spells per day each level.

Minstrel. A Troubadour continues his musical progress while focusing on the healing arts, traveling to and fro learning and sharing tales and songs. A Troubadour adds his troubadour levels to his Bard levels to determine his uses of bardic music per day. As well, he adds his Troubadour levels to his Bardic Knowledge checks.

Healing Specialty. Unique spell selection—The Troubadour’s specialization in healing spells grants him access to certain very powerful spells he would normally not be granted, however, this does require the sacrifice of one of his spells known. The Troubadour gains: Restoration as a 3rd level spell; Heal as a 4th level spell; Raise Dead as a 5th level spell; Regenerate as a 6th level spell. These are granted when that spell level is open to the Troubadour and are not optional.

* Master Healer…The Troubadour’s focus on the healing arts makes his curative spells more potent. Whenever he casts a healing spell, the Troubadour adds 3x his Troubadour level to the total healed.

* Swiftest Cure…The Troubadour’s dedication to healing those in need as quick as possible allows him to cast a healing spell as if it had been Quickened with no increase in spell slot. The Troubadour can use this ability once per day, with an additional use every other level to a maximum of five times per day at level 9. This can not be stacked with Emergency Aid.

* Unstoppable Healer…The Troubadour’s mission to heal is absolute and their will to cure incredibly powerful. At 2nd level, a Troubadour can never be interrupted in casting a healing spell.

* Mounted Physician…The Troubadour works best from horseback and takes special training to become a master rider. This grants the Troubadour many benefits. The Troubadour can push his mount ever faster, granting an increase in move speed while mounted. This starts with +10 ft at 3rd level, and increases by 10 ft every 3 levels to a maximum of +30 ft at 9th level. At 3rd level, provided he is mounted, he gains a Dodge bonus of +2 to his AC; at 6th, it becomes +4 and at 9th it becomes +6.

* Emergency Aid…The Troubadour not only masters how to deliver swift healing but also powerful healing as well. At 4th level, four times a day, the Troubadour can cast a healing spell as if it had been Maximized with no increase in spell slot. At 6th level, he can do this 6 times per day. At 8th level, the Troubadour can do this eight times per day. This can not be stacked with Swiftest Cure.

* Unicorn Mount…The Troubadour’s dedication to the healing of others attracts notice from his god (or other similar source) who rewards such a goodly occupation with a Celestial Unicorn mount at 5th level. Provided the Troubadour does not stray from the healer’s path, the Unicorn will always obey and follow. If the Unicorn is killed, the Troubadour can summon his mount back in 24 hours. At 7th and 9th level, the Troubadour’s Unicorn become tougher. At 7th, it gains 3 HD, +4 to its Natural armor and Improved Evasion. At 9th level, it gains another 3 HD, its Natural armor bonus becomes +8, and it gains SR equal to 10 + ½ the master’s ECL. For every two HD the Troubadour gains after his 9th Troubadour level, his Unicorn mount gains another HD.

* Sonorous Heal…The Troubadour creates a limited connection to those touched by his music. If an ally is under the effect of the Troubadour’s Bard song, the Troubadour can cast a healing spell as if he were touching that ally.

* Healing Song…The Troubadour’s music becomes one with the healing spirit of the Troubadour, healing all those who hear it. At 7th level, for a cost of two daily uses of the Troubadour’s Bardic Music ability, the Troubadour can begin this song that takes one round to complete. Once finished, all allies of the Troubadour who heard the song are cured, such as a Mass Cure Critical Wounds spell (without the limitation of no two creatures more than 30 feet apart).

* Panacea Touch…At 8th level, at a number of times per day equal to his Wisdom modifier, the Troubadour has focused on healing to such an extent, he can perform miracles where many would say there is no hope. With a successful Heal check, the Troubadour can heal certain conditions:

DC 20: Dazed, Dazzled, Fatigued, Shaken, Sickened
DC 25: Cowering, Deafened, Exhausted, Nauseated, Panicked, Stunned
DC 30: Confused, Frightened, Paralyzed.

* Song of Life…Bards normally do not have access to the most potent of life restoring spells such as clerics do. However, the Troubadour has walked the path of the healer to its limits, and with his music he can perform miracles of healing. A Troubadour with 18 ranks or more in a Perform skill can begin a glorious song three times per day that takes one round to complete. This song fully heals an ally for every four levels; once per week, it also can bring back to life one person, chosen before the song is begun, such as a True Resurrection spell. When using the song to revive an alley, the song requires complete focus for ten minutes. This revive also costs the Troubadour diamonds worth at least 20000 gp.

Silva Stormrage
2011-11-10, 08:56 AM
Oh very interesting port from fire emblem. Love that game :smallbiggrin:

Why did you make this a bard prestige class? The Troubadour always seemed like a cleric to me. Of course I only played Fire Emblem 7 so maybe the later ones are more bard like?

For unstoppable healer, I think that it should be changed so that you can't be interrupted while casting healing spells. At level 9 very very few people actually fail casting defensively (12 Ranks + 2 Masterwork Item + 2-3 Con) Means that you only fail on a 3rd or 4th level spell on a 1 or 2. Not all that useful.

For Emergency aid, why did you decide on maximize for the bonus? Empower tends to be more efficient than maximize for cure spells.

For the unicorn mount I would add some other benefits past 9th level like every 2 HD after 9th gain one HD etc. Just to make sure it isn't completely frail once you get out of the prestige class.

Really like sonorous heal.

For song of life I would suggest making the true resurrection cost a material component. Just to prevent it from being abused. Also there is a typo in that paragraph, it should read begin instead of being in the line "A Troubadour with more than 18 ranks in preform can being a song"

Maybe a class ability should be to die at the most inconvenient times and force the group to play the encounter over again... That seems to be a class feature for Priscilla in fire emblem 7 :smallmad:

Very interesting healing class! Healers need more love in 3.5 anyway.

desmond1323
2011-11-10, 06:36 PM
Oh very interesting port from fire emblem. Love that game :smallbiggrin:

It is pretty fantastic.

Why did you make this a bard prestige class? The Troubadour always seemed like a cleric to me. Of course I only played Fire Emblem 7 so maybe the later ones are more bard like?

Because that's what Troubadours were, historically. So, combine the real world Troubadours with FE's take on making them healers...and voila!

And (probably more importantly) because I love Bards. Honestly, ignoring the fact I have no musical talent, if I was any base class, I'd be a Bard. I dunno....as I was making my universe, Bards just...my first race was the Kentao, built to be Bards. My first PrC (quickly abandoned...I need to get back to it) was the Maestro, or basically a Super Bard. Music in general is a powerful force in my setting.

For unstoppable healer, I think that it should be changed so that you can't be interrupted while casting healing spells. At level 9 very very few people actually fail casting defensively (12 Ranks + 2 Masterwork Item + 2-3 Con) Means that you only fail on a 3rd or 4th level spell on a 1 or 2. Not all that useful.

Point. Done and done!

For Emergency aid, why did you decide on maximize for the bonus? Empower tends to be more efficient than maximize for cure spells.

Because, honestly, I have little first hand experience with metamagic. Although...I don't get why you say it's better. Empower is normally more efficient because it's a spell slot lower. This ability doesn't increase slot at all. So, you want me to switch changing every d8 from a guaranteed 8 to an average of 6.75? Maybe I'm missing something...can you explain some more?

For the unicorn mount I would add some other benefits past 9th level like every 2 HD after 9th gain one HD etc. Just to make sure it isn't completely frail once you get out of the prestige class.

Good point, one I didn't think of. I'll change that.

Really like sonorous heal.

Heh, thanks. That was the initial idea for the class, basically. I like it a lot too.

For song of life I would suggest making the true resurrection cost a material component. Just to prevent it from being abused. Also there is a typo in that paragraph, it should read begin instead of being in the line "A Troubadour with more than 18 ranks in preform can being a song"

Done and done. Whoops. Yay typos!

Maybe a class ability should be to die at the most inconvenient times and force the group to play the encounter over again... That seems to be a class feature for Priscilla in fire emblem 7 :smallmad:

Heh, yeah, I never actually use Troubadours (I did on my first play through, but getting Serra so early just trumped once I knew what I was doing). Fire Emblem's RNG is a total jackass in all regards, heh.

Very interesting healing class! Healers need more love in 3.5 anyway.

Yeah, that was another thing kind of backing up my desire to make the class...just how sad the actual Healer class is.

Thanks for a real critique! I don't usually get them....I appreciate it immensely.

Howler Dagger
2011-11-10, 09:32 PM
Because, honestly, I have little first hand experience with metamagic. Although...I don't get why you say it's better. Empower is normally more efficient because it's a spell slot lower. This ability doesn't increase slot at all. So, you want me to switch changing every d8 from a guaranteed 8 to an average of 6.75? Maybe I'm missing something...can you explain some more?
It would give more healing from Heal, because heal is a flat 10/level. It is focused on incombat healing, which is considered to be very weak, but since it advance most of the bards stuff I see no reason why you wouldnt take this if you could.

desmond1323
2011-11-10, 10:19 PM
It would give more healing from Heal, because heal is a flat 10/level.

Except this:

Empower Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit

All variable, numeric effects of an empowered spell are increased by one-half.

Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. An empowered spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

Soooo....you can't empower Heal anyways.

It is focused on incombat healing, which is considered to be very weak, but since it advance most of the bards stuff I see no reason why you wouldnt take this if you could.

That may be a problem....I'll think about it.