PDA

View Full Version : Fighting an Ancient Blacksmith

Rapidghoul
2011-11-09, 03:21 PM
First, background:

My level 10 party (fighter, rogue, cleric, bard, and NPC ranger) is in the catacombs of a mountain filled with undead. It used to be inhabited by orcs that worshipped an Ancient Red Dragon skilled in necromancy. The orcs started dying out from sahuagin attacking them, and the dragon simply reanimated them all to continue the war. The party has been running into all the reanimated corpses (mostly Bone Creatures and Skeletons) of the ancient army.

The dungeon is also filled with Anchor Mist (Dungeonscape 140) and Rust Monsters. The mist prevents them from teleporting out or accessing their bags of holding, and they lost a couple pieces of armor and weapons to the Rust Monsters. They've been deprived of back up weapons and scrolls since the beginning of the dungeon, so they've been using the armor and weaponry they loot off the skeletons.

The party's next encounter is going to be a Noble Salamander named Hephaestus. He was summoned and trapped in the mountain to forge armor and weapons for the orcs' war long ago. The fight will be in the room he's been trapped in for centuries. Since he's been stuck here with no way to escape and nothing else to do, it would make sense that he's been forging armor and weapons all this time.

When the party barges in, Hephaestus (and his pet Fire Necromental which lives in the forge) are going to attack them. Rather than leave this as a typical fight, I want to try to add some additional challenge and flare based on the party using weapons he forged with his bare hands (literally).

Information on the encounter:
The mountain itself has large deposits of Abyssal Bloodiron (PlH 69), though I lowered the bonus to confirm criticals to +2 (Lesser Abyssal Bloodiron I suppose). Once the dragon died, the orcs began using his fangs in weaponry and scales in armor, meaning there's lots of Dragonfang and Dragoncraft equipment (Draconomnom 117) lying around the room.

Hephaestus himself has Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Arms and Armor, and Craft Construct as feats for the various items found around the dungeon. He wields a +1 Flaming Changeling Dragonfang Spear (by far the most powerful weapon they've come across yet), wears a +1 Dragoncraft Breastplate of Mobility, and has a Necklace of Fireballs type V missing three beads. He has several weapons with Lesser Crystals of Return placed in them to call when he pleases.

So, Playground, I ask you: in a fight against an ancient blacksmith surrounded by weapons he's been forging for centuries, what cool things would you like to see happen?

Cirrylius
2011-11-09, 03:28 PM
Dragonbone Golem built to serve as an ersatz phylactery upon his death?

JaronK
2011-11-09, 03:29 PM
First of all, I'd expect to see Spell Turrets designed to work together... one that uses Grease while another summons stuff that can sneak attack, for example.

And lots of traps.

JaronK

Cirrylius
2011-11-09, 03:31 PM
Oops. Double post.:smallredface:

hex0
2011-11-09, 03:35 PM
If he is trapped their couldn't he be diplomacized to turn sides in exchange for freedom? I'm sure your players will try it.

Essence_of_War
2011-11-09, 03:43 PM
If he is trapped their couldn't he be diplomacized to turn sides in exchange for freedom? I'm sure your players will try it.

If you're not married to the idea of having the PCs murder him, he could be an exceedingly interesting contact for them on the elemental plane of fire. Having someone they-care-about/are-owed-a-favor-from on another plane, right around the time when they're starting to be able to travel to, and survive on, the planes, seems like it could be a very useful future adventuring hook.

At least keep the idea in mind in case the PCs get themselves excited by the idea of turning him/letting him go. Those PCs, always getting excited about ideas and such...:smalltongue:

Chained Birds
2011-11-09, 04:17 PM
Animated weapons are always nifty. If I were a magical blacksmith spending centuries alone, I'd probably dable in a bit of everything.
- Reanimating test dumbies for the occasional alchemical/magic device
- Building a few convoluted traps to pass the time
- Making exotic weapons
- Making unique and new weapons
- Building a construct wife for those lonely nights
- Creating the better mouse trap
- Create fire-proof instruments and animate them to play any music he feels like listening to
- Write a bibliography

deuxhero
2011-11-09, 04:35 PM
So, Playground, I ask you: in a fight against an ancient blacksmith surrounded by weapons he's been forging for centuries, what cool things would you like to see happen?

Yuri.

But yeah... why exactly is he fighting the PCs? Salamanders are only usually evil, and from what you said, he'd rather have a way out

Rapidghoul
2011-11-09, 05:36 PM
Dragonbone Golem built to serve as an ersatz phylactery upon his death?
He's not meant to be quite that magical. He only has the typical fire spells Salamanders get and those the Spell Hand feat grants him. The undead stuff is all done by the dragons and the head orc (a Mummified Draconic Orc Favored Soul worshipping Tiamat).

First of all, I'd expect to see Spell Turrets designed to work together... one that uses Grease while another summons stuff that can sneak attack, for example.

And lots of traps.
The dungeon has had lots of traps / spell turrets so far, mostly fire / undead themed. The next room (the boss, see above) will have some as well, focused mostly around an altar to Tiamat. Not sure what I'd place in the forge, but I'll think about it for sure.

If you're not married to the idea of having the PCs murder him, he could be an exceedingly interesting contact for them on the elemental plane of fire.

But yeah... why exactly is he fighting the PCs? Salamanders are only usually evil, and from what you said, he'd rather have a way out
That is part of the encounter. The bard is a pretty good diplomancer already, so it's possible he'd succeed.
However, the party is LG, NG, CG, CN, CN, and the salamander is Lawful Evil. He's also gone a bit insane due to being alone for centuries, and the occasional sahuagin or random other beast might have ventured down into the forge before, which he would promptly kill.
Either way, the encounter is meant to in part give a little history behind the dungeon to clarify some of the confusion the party has expressed. If they can add to the story with it, I'm not going to stand in the way. The campaign will eventually go semi-planar, but probably not until late / epic levels.

Animated weapons are always nifty. If I were a magical blacksmith spending centuries alone, I'd probably dable in a bit of everything.
- Reanimating test dumbies for the occasional alchemical/magic device
The last fight the party had was a group of Magmacore Golems (MM5) that Hephaestus built. I was thinking about having him build them, arm them, fight them, and destroy them to pass the time. It's possible he'd have one in the room to make the encounter more difficult.

- Making unique and new weapons
I am dabbling with this concept. The dragonfang / dragoncraft equipment was supposed to represent this to some degree (as well as give him some satisfaction in using the body of his captor to forge weapons and armor). Maybe I can make something else particularly flashy for him to use.

- Create fire-proof instruments and animate them to play any music he feels like listening to
Neat idea. I might have to include a fancy fire-proof instrument for the bard.

Thanks for the help so far, everyone :)

Sudain
2011-11-10, 06:44 PM
He has been forging weapons for a long time, where did he get the materials? (As a player that's what comes to my mind).

For cool,
Vats of molten material, have him knock a few over. :)

Cannals or other troughs of molten liquid that players can step into.

Rapidghoul
2011-11-10, 07:05 PM
He has been forging weapons for a long time, where did he get the materials? (As a player that's what comes to my mind).

For cool,
Vats of molten material, have him knock a few over. :)

Cannals or other troughs of molten liquid that players can step into.
The materials mostly come from molten bloodiron (of which there is actually a stream flowing through the room, thus virtually endless supply) and the scales / claws / fangs of his dead dragon captor (which would be all used up by now, but he could salvage off old crafts if he wanted).
I like the idea of molten hazards. Might have to use that.

Two changes to the encounter:

First is to make the Fire Necromental a separate encounter and replace them with a construct. It fits the dungeon, but not the encounter. With the party already having fought Magmacore Golems, I'll have a suped-up version in the room with the Hephaestus for his sparring partner.

Second is to add three levels of Artificer to the salamander to make him more flavorful. It allows for a better range of magic items than just those with his SLA's as prereqs, and it gives better reason to specifically want him to forge equipment for the orc's army.

Now, never having played or even really read that much about artificers, I'm not sure how I'd run the encounter. Not sure it would actually change all that much, but any further tips would be appreciated.

Diefje
2011-11-10, 09:01 PM
The salamander could have made "improvements" to himself, with some robotic limbs. Or maybe an Ironman suit. Or a mech walker. Or a tank...

Or the pimpest Apparatus of the Crab ever!

Lapak
2011-11-10, 09:19 PM
In addition to the 'molten hazards' idea, keep in mind that he's a Salamander. When the PCs are pushing him near his limit, he can retreat into the furnace itself to give himself an advantage. Indeed, he might have stored some of his hardier weapons / special items in the coals, so that he can get at them but others can't.

Having him leap backward into the flames, pull a sealed iron cask from the deepest part of the coals, and quaff a boiling-hot healing potion just when they think they have him on the ropes could be striking.

Fax Celestis
2011-11-10, 09:38 PM
The salamander could have made "improvements" to himself, with some robotic limbs. Or maybe an Ironman suit. Or a mech walker. Or a tank...

YES.

HALF GOLEM TEMPLATE.

Belril Duskwalk
2011-11-10, 10:13 PM
Maybe toss in a few weapons with the Dancing enchantment? If I were spending a few centuries making and testing armor and weapons I think I'd make a few Dancing weapons just so I could try dueling myself.

Howler Dagger
2011-11-10, 10:15 PM
What do I expect? A young noble slamander with that homebrew contruct-descent bloodline

The Underlord
2011-11-10, 10:17 PM
What about some warforged minions he crafted to keep himself company?

Rapidghoul
2011-11-10, 10:44 PM
I like the idea of having adding some potions to the room, and keeping a particularly badass weapon in the forge (the changeling spear mentioned above) would be a neat twist on the fight.

Warforged wouldn't quite fit the world, but constructs (and possibly Dancing weapons) would make a lot of sense. Grafting himself is a little far, but there is a lot I could play with that's similar.

Hellwyrm
2011-11-10, 10:56 PM
Once the dragon died, the orcs began using his fangs in weaponry and scales in armor
How long ago did the dragon die? Because you could think about include some red dragon spawn.
Even if you only make them wyrmlings they could really affect the feel of the encounter, plus they really add to the firey theme of the battle.
However I think warforged are a better suggestion, even if Mr Smith just made them to test his skills.

Oh and I love the idea behind this encounter. Sounds like its going to be awesome:smallbiggrin:.

Runestar
2011-11-11, 06:55 AM
An iron golem seems like a suitable bodyguard, though this raises the EL to 14, and may thus be too tough on the PCs.

Fire heals the golem, and the salamander can hide behind the golem and blast the PCs with wall of fire, flaming sphere and quickened fireballs, which heals the golem in addition to damaging the players.

On a side note, you may also want to give the salamander its missing skill points back, though this probably has minimal impact on combat.

Rapidghoul
2011-11-11, 01:57 PM
How long ago did the dragon die? Because you could think about include some red dragon spawn.
Even if you only make them wyrmlings they could really affect the feel of the encounter, plus they really add to the firey theme of the battle.
However I think warforged are a better suggestion, even if Mr Smith just made them to test his skills.

Oh and I love the idea behind this encounter. Sounds like its going to be awesome:smallbiggrin:.
This would have been at least a hundred years ago. The sahuagin have since established dominance over the mountain, while the undead orcs sort of just mill around under the rule of their mummified favored soul.

As for spawn, part of the story is that the red dragon and his mate had a single child of Young age or so. The sahuagin leader, a high level transmuter, was able to kill the child, which is now the zombie pet of the mummy. The mother dragon got in a spell battle with the wizard, ending with both trapped in a temporal stasis bubble. The two of them are out of commission (for now).

Glad you like the idea :smallbiggrin:

An iron golem seems like a suitable bodyguard, though this raises the EL to 14, and may thus be too tough on the PCs.

Fire heals the golem, and the salamander can hide behind the golem and blast the PCs with wall of fire, flaming sphere and quickened fireballs, which heals the golem in addition to damaging the players.

On a side note, you may also want to give the salamander its missing skill points back, though this probably has minimal impact on combat.
You're right, iron golem was definitely my first choice of golem. Even though my party is able to take on enemies a couple levels higher, 14 would be too much.
I actually reworked the Salamander a good deal. I made him venerable age, gave him 3 levels of Artificer, and replaced the Power Attack feats with item creation feats. In doing so I reworked the skills to more accurately reflect a salamander focused on metalworking instead of fighting.

I've added one thing to the fight. I liked Lapak's idea of storing a weapon in the coals of the fire, so at the beginning of the encounter he won't have the spear. Instead, he's going to forge javelins of fire. After all, the Hephaestus from mythology forged Zeus's lightning bolts (much like javelins of lightning out of the DMG), so having a bunch of javelins he's forged over the years would be flavorful and give the party some fun items to collect. I might have them replace the Necklace of Fireballs and have them detonate on impact. Once he throws a few, he'll grab the spear out of the coals.

Sudain
2011-11-11, 04:16 PM
Very interesting setup. :) I love the detail you are putting in.

Maybe toss in something he's in the process of making? Half-made golem or half made armor/weapon? Some schematics?

Something else you could do is include some potions of xxx and reskin them to be coals in the furnace. Leaps, back, grabs some hot coals and then chows down. Still useabe by party if they figure out which ones though suggested they use them once cool. :)

Here are some of my favorite firespells. Maybe you can make use of them in the fight. Fire Seeds, Flame Blade, Heat Metal, Produce Flame. Also consider shrink item - great for storage - and rusting grasp - great for getting rid of stuff you don't need anymore.

Rapidghoul
2011-11-11, 07:03 PM
Maybe toss in something he's in the process of making? Half-made golem or half made armor/weapon? Some schematics?
I really like that idea. Maybe instead of having the golem fight alongside him, I'll have half of it built. He could have just destroyed one in a sparring match, and he needs to rebuild it. It would also keep the CR in the realm of feasibility.
When they walk in, he's going to be hammering on the javelins of fire. I'm going to let them make Listen checks before entering the room to see if they can hear the CLANGCLANGCLANG of the anvil.

Also consider shrink item...
I'm actually thinking of giving him an eternal wand (or more likely, an "eternal ring") of Shrink Item because of how many weapon and armor abilities I'm putting in the room (Changeling spears, Hideaway weapons, Variable shields, Swordbows). Plus, he has Dispel Magic as an SLA, making for all sorts of fun un-shrinking dangerous things. Small bucket of lava suddenly isn't so small anymore.