PDA

View Full Version : Bardbarian- Way to remain preforming while raging?

Mockingbird
2011-11-09, 04:22 PM
So I'm making a character for an upcoming pathfinder (only) game who will be a multiclass bard and barbarian (starting with bard), but I need to figure out a way of preforming while raging.

(My DM doesn't like death metal, and said I can't have a bard who screams metal songs while he beats his enemies to death. :P)

lunar2
2011-11-09, 04:31 PM
i know how to get a barbar to cast spells, but i have no clue how to get him to sing. i know that RAW, it's impossible, since a barbar can't use any charisma based skills while raging.

Cespenar
2011-11-09, 04:43 PM
RAW guys may correct me, but I believe that one can in fact use some of the bard songs while raging. Now, raging doesn't allow usage of Charisma-based skills, abilities that require concentration, and spells.

For example, Inspire Courage doesn't actually make you use the Perform skill (to make a check, for example). Nor does it require concentration to maintain. Thus, it is allowed. So is Inspire Greatness and Inspire Heroics. But, say, Inspire Competence requires you to concentrate, which is not allowed. Countersong and Fascinate is also out, because they need you to make a Perform check.

I'm not sure about Suggestion, because rage doesn't let you cast spells, but Suggestion is a spell-like ability which directly emulates the said spell.

Keld Denar
2011-11-09, 04:47 PM
In order to make a Suggestion, however, your opponents have to be Fascinated, which requires a check. Thusly, you can't do that while Raging, either.

Jopustopin
2011-11-09, 05:06 PM
Page 33 (DMG): Variant: Skills with different abilities.

Put ranks in Perform (Raging) and claim that it uses constitution.

Cespenar
2011-11-09, 05:08 PM
In order to make a Suggestion, however, your opponents have to be Fascinated, which requires a check. Thusly, you can't do that while Raging, either.

Fascinate first, then Rage, then Suggest. You know the metal songs which start out like not metal songs, until at some point the singer jumps you with a death growl? :smalltongue:

Gullintanni
2011-11-09, 06:23 PM
My DM doesn't like death metal.

Then his life and his soul are forfeit! :smalltongue:

Alternately, take the Lingering Song feat (assuming some 3.5 content is permitted...or that it's been updated into Pathfinder) and let your Death Metal rage ambiently for the next minute of game time.

Alternately, Cespenar has it right.

The Glyphstone
2011-11-09, 06:36 PM
Perform (War Yodeling)?

Safety Sword
2011-11-09, 06:36 PM
You could just put ranks into Perform (Greataxe to the face).

I know it's a cool concept, but I'm yet to be convinced that Bardbarian actually has great playability. Very happy to be shown the error of my ways however, as I do think it would make a fun character concept.

BillyBobJoe
2011-11-09, 06:37 PM
What I did was make my bardbarian alternate between playing the drums and hitting the enemies with his oversized drum stick (which we treated as a club).

The Glyphstone
2011-11-09, 06:39 PM
Particularly in Pathfinder, I'd agree with you - Bard and Barbarian both rely on class levels to get extra rounds/use of their signature abilities. They had a similar problem in 3.5, but the equivalent Extra Rage/Music feats had a much higher rate of return then.

JaronK
2011-11-09, 06:40 PM
Have you considered the Orc Warlord PrC? It's a rage based class that has its own version of Inspire Courage for this very purpose.

JaronK

Mockingbird
2011-11-09, 06:41 PM
Perform (War Yodeling)?

Turn one!
Bard uses rage!
He flies into a screaming blood frenzy!
Wizard uses Fireball!
Tarrasque takes 50 points of damage!
Fighter full attacks with his lance!
Tarrasque takes 70 points of damage!
Cleric channels positive energy!
Bard feels refreshed!
Tarrasque's turn!
He regains 120 hit points, bringing him back up to full!
He stomps on the wizard and the fighter!
Turn two!
Bard uses War Yodeling!
Tarrasque runs in terror!
Bard gains two and a half million experience points!

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-09, 06:46 PM
Turn one!
Bard uses rage!
He flies into a screaming blood frenzy!
Wizard uses Fireball!
Tarrasque takes 50 points of damage!
Fighter full attacks with his lance!
Tarrasque takes 70 points of damage!
Cleric channels positive energy!
Bard feels refreshed!
Tarrasque's turn!
He regains 120 hit points, bringing him back up to full!
He stomps on the wizard and the fighter!
Turn two!
Bard uses War Yodeling!
Tarrasque runs in terror!
Bard gains two and a half million experience points!

You can use both of those in the same round.

Safety Sword
2011-11-09, 06:49 PM

But that cuts down on the dramatic tension!

Mockingbird
2011-11-09, 08:54 PM

If you use it on the first round, you won't get all the experience because the wizard and fighter won't be skid marks on the ground.

Blyte
2011-11-09, 09:22 PM
Dervish Bard dances for performance and maintains as a free action. Rage states you can't do things that require concentration to achieve, but free actions should not require much concentration to achieve. They are so easy that they do not encroach upon your action economy.

darkbuu_1
2011-11-09, 09:23 PM
I know you said pathfinder only but if there is anyway you could get 3.5 dragon magazine material allowed, Battle Howler of Gruumsh would be a prefect prestige class for you. Either way it's in DR311.

gallagher
2011-11-10, 12:42 AM
you should totally have your perform be Perform (Percussion) and dual wield clubs, if only so you can drum out a drum solo on your enemies

i think any and all DMs would allow this at least for one game

kulosle
2011-11-10, 02:42 AM
you can't rage while in a dervish dance. it specifically says. my DM was super nice and made a feat for me

Raging Performer

prerequisites: rage ability, bardic music ability
barbarian and bard levels stack for purpose of bardic music and rage, number of uses per day or strength/abilities of each. not both. you must up both of the powers in the same way
a character with this feat may rage and maintain concentration on any of his bardic music abilities. this does not let the character cast spells while in a rage or activate his bardic music.
special: you may take this feat twice. it's affects do not stack. the second time you take it you levels stack for uses per day or strength of bardic music and raging, which ever you didn't chose the first time. you also may activate any bardic music ability while raging, even if it requires a perform check.
normal: you cannot maintain concentration while raging or make skill checks based off of cha