PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a monster (3.5)

Hyfigh
2011-11-09, 07:28 PM
I know there is a hobgoblin that grants spell casting as a 4th level sorcerer as an Ex. I seem to recall seeing a 14HD-ish outsider that had a similar ability granting casting as a 9th level cleric. Anyone know what I'm talking about, or am I crazy...?

AslanCross
2011-11-09, 07:42 PM
The first one is the Hobgoblin Warcaster (MM5). They have Wizard casting, not Sorcerer.

The second is the Planetar (core). 14 HD, 17th level cleric casting PLUS spell-like abilities.

Hyfigh
2011-11-09, 07:52 PM
Yea, the Warcaster I knew about. They have an Ex ability that provides the casting (and is thus eligable from polymorph-ish stuff).

This other monster has a similar Ex ability, but granting cleric casting instead. The Planetar simply has cleric casting as an unnamed (and, as such, a natural) ability. I believe it was an outside. I want to say it's picture resembled a Naga style creature with a human woman torso and head, and a long snake-like lower body.

Edit: I want to say it's from Fiendish Codex, II, or Fiend Folio; but I may be way off base.

Mystic Muse
2011-11-09, 08:01 PM
The creature you're describing sounds like a Lillend. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lillend.htm

However, they only get 6th level bard casting, not 9th level cleric.

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-09, 08:02 PM
The Couatl (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/couatl.htm) might be what you are thinking about.

In the same vein, the phaerimm from Lost Empires of FR casts all it's sorcerer spells as SLA's and casts as a Sorcerer 19.

Hyfigh
2011-11-09, 09:20 PM
For certain not the Lillend or Couatl. Both of those casting types are natural casting like the Planetar.

The Hobgoblin Warcaster from MM5 gets Arcane Talent (Ex) which allows them to cast as a 4-th level wizard.

The Lilitu from Fiendish Codex I has Mock Divinity (Ex) allowing them to cast as a 9-th level cleric. They have access to the Demonic and Trickery domains. They can't turn or rebuke, nor can they spontaneously cast cure or inflicts.