PDA

View Full Version : Two Weapon Fighting… with one weapon [PEACH]

ShiningStarling
2011-11-09, 09:09 PM
An adventurer has to learn to cope with want, to deal without some things. So when you’re adventuring, and you’ve spent time and energy building a two-weapon fighter, and you find yourself with a disjoined weapon, or have your possessions stolen and only able to find one weapon, or you don’t want to pay for two weapons.

Now that problem is solved with one skill trick, in a fairly balanced way, I think…

Weapon Toss
With a skillful toss, you can switch what hand you are using to wield your weapon mid-routine, though it uses some time.
Prerequisites: Sleight of Hand 10 ranks, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
Benefit: During a full attack routine, you may sacrifice an attack roll with a weapon wielded only in one hand (usually the last one) to make a Sleight of Hand check, DC 15 + (5* the weapon’s weight in lbs.). If the check is successful, the switch is made and you may carry out your off hand attack routine with your other hand. If the check fails, your weapon falls to the ground in your square, and you are distracted enough to provoke an attack of opportunity.
Special: This skill trick and its improvements may be used once per encounter per 2 ranks in Sleight of Hand the owner posesses, and This trick and its improvements may not be used seperately to garner more uses per day..

Now I said one feat, but I think a progression would help.

Improved Weapon Toss
You have honed your tossing ability to near perfection.
Prerequisites: Sleight of Hand 15 ranks, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting
Benefit: Your weapon toss check DC is now 15 + (4* the weapon’s weight in lbs.). You now no longer provoke an attack of opportunity if you fail the roll, though it still falls.

Seerow
2011-11-09, 09:10 PM
To be honest, I'd just make this a unlimited use skill trick that requires the sleight of hand ranks you specified. I find it hard to value this as worth a feat, especially when its intended to benefit a style that is already as feat intensive as two weapon fighting. Especially since you're sacrificing an attack to use it, still have to make a skill check, and failure of the skill check makes you disarm yourself. :/

arguskos
2011-11-09, 09:33 PM
Fun fact: as written, you can now use a two-handed weapon to TWF, thanks to Weapon Toss. The check would be tough, but that you can do this seems... dangerous.

I assume this was unintended. If you add something about how "As long as you are wielding a single one-handed or light weapon, you can <feat>" the issue would be fixed neatly. :smallwink:

Amechra
2011-11-09, 09:57 PM
Leave it as allowing two-weapon two-handed fighting; that just sounds AWESOME!

Just a DC 55 check for a Greatsword!

arguskos
2011-11-09, 10:04 PM
Leave it as allowing two-weapon two-handed fighting; that just sounds AWESOME!

Just a DC 55 check for a Greatsword!
DC 35 for a Quarterstaff, something reasonable to make.

Of course, a Sugliin has a check of 115, so that seems safe. :smalltongue:

Seerow
2011-11-09, 10:06 PM
DC 35 for a Quarterstaff, something reasonable to make.

A quarterstaff is already a double weapon... why would you ever use that with this?

Siosilvar
2011-11-09, 10:07 PM
A quarterstaff is already a double weapon... why would you ever use that with this?

Double PA returns and 1.5x Strength damage.

arguskos
2011-11-09, 10:09 PM
1.5x Str on damage and a greater Power Attack bonus. Since attack bonuses scale so fantastically well and easily, you can abuse it without too much effort.

Additionally, I figured that the flavor here was not "I'm tossing around a two-handed weapon" but more that of the deft swashbuckler. Unless you're saying that throwing around two-handed weapons for damage bonuses is actually the intent, in which case, by all means, have at it. I just took a guess in the dark, after all. :smalltongue:

Cieyrin
2011-11-10, 10:51 AM
To be honest, I'd just make this a unlimited use skill trick that requires the sleight of hand ranks you specified. I find it hard to value this as worth a feat, especially when its intended to benefit a style that is already as feat intensive as two weapon fighting. Especially since you're sacrificing an attack to use it, still have to make a skill check, and failure of the skill check makes you disarm yourself. :/

I concur, TWF has a big enough feat tax to be competent without adding to it. Making it a skill trick has its own problems of making it once per encounter unless you pursue one of the Trickster PrCs (Don't recall of Battle Trickster allows for using skill tricks more than once but Magical and Uncanny definitely do). Requiring a hefty skill check seems to add insult to injury, as it gets rapidly into Truenamer levels of optimization on skills to be competent. And I'm not overly worried about Sugliins breaking this, given you need 2 feats to be competent with those, anyways, before you worry about TWF chain or this feat.

ShiningStarling
2011-11-10, 10:03 PM
There, wording improved, made into a skill trick, uses... keep it coming! This is useful advice!