PDA

View Full Version : Gunslinger [PF]

tehhoods
2011-11-10, 02:48 AM
I've read the Ultimate Combat book and like the gunslinger class, from what I've read but I wonder what it's like in practice. Has anyone played one, and if so, liked it?

Bhaakon
2011-11-10, 03:18 AM
I think it's fantastic for 5 levels. Not much point in taking it past that.

Larpus
2011-11-10, 07:15 AM
Yeah, pretty much that.

Firearms are powerful weapons and, if you happen to be in the first range increment, your attacks are touch, so if you plan to make a gunslinger, ask your DM about called shots rules (you know, "I'm going to shoot his eye"), because quite honestly, that seems to be what the gunslinger is all about.

Otherwise, yeah, it's nice for 5-9 levels and that's it, after that you're most probably better off branching to pretty much anything.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-10, 07:47 AM
It's a very front loaded class. It could be played to higher levels, it has a lot of class features that look like a lot of fun, it's just I see so many possibilities with other classes, especially ones that benefit from getting a lot of attacks that hit, like Rogues or Paladins.

Larpus
2011-11-10, 08:29 AM
It's a very front loaded class. It could be played to higher levels, it has a lot of class features that look like a lot of fun, it's just I see so many possibilities with other classes, especially ones that benefit from getting a lot of attacks that hit, like Rogues or Paladins.
Not to mention that due to overall feat design, going at least Gunslinger 1 is the only truly sensible way to make a gun wielding whatever (sans couple exceptions such as the Spellslinger), which just adds to the whole "ok, gunslinger was cool, but what can I get to have more options now?".

In that sense, it really is quite similar to the class that spawned it.

panaikhan
2011-11-10, 08:46 AM
I'm taking 3 levels of Musket Master, to give my Gnome Alchemist a little "bite" and to help qualify for the precise striking (or whatever it's called) chain of feats (the ones that an extra dice to damage, even bombs :smallbiggrin: )

grarrrg
2011-11-10, 09:54 AM
As has been said, it is a solid class, but VERY front loaded.
The standard stopping points are:
Level 1: Firearm Prof. Grit Pool, Free Gun!, Gunsmithing, handful of Deeds.
Level 5: Dex-to-Damage.
Level 11/12: Level 11 is needed for Signature Deed, which can drop the Grit cost on Deeds, "as long as you have at least 1 Grit". Level 12 for the Bonus feat that you always seem to want for a Gunslinger.

ericgrau
2011-11-10, 09:59 AM
Don't forget gunslinger 3 for the touch attacks; spend a grit to get them at long range. You do get a lot of cool tricks on level 7, but they're awfully situational. Other levels that often don't get mention seem to be the same way. The bonus feats aren't bad either. They give you a reason to take gunslinger a little bit farther rather into the "dead" levels rather than taking fighter levels.

I'm actually in a campaign full of gunslingers. 3 is the minimum allowed. 5 is a common stopping point but the gunslinger 7 with called shot to wings and similar has been handy to have around. Probably wouldn't have much use for 2, but it's good to have 1.

jaybird
2011-11-10, 11:59 AM
Take Paladin on top of the Mysterious Stranger archetype. Say hello to the best saves in the game, and you're only reliant on DEX and CHA. I've been wanting to do a Mysterious Stranger 12/(Anti) Paladin 2/Something else (likely Alchemist or Rogue) 6 for some time.

Cieyrin
2011-11-10, 12:02 PM
Don't forget gunslinger 3 for the touch attacks; spend a grit to get them at long range. You do get a lot of cool tricks on level 7, but they're awfully situational. Other levels that often don't get mention seem to be the same way. The bonus feats aren't bad either. They give you a reason to take gunslinger a little bit farther rather into the "dead" levels rather than taking fighter levels.

I'm actually in a campaign full of gunslingers. 3 is the minimum allowed. 5 is a common stopping point but the gunslinger 7 with called shot to wings and similar has been handy to have around. Probably wouldn't have much use for 2, but it's good to have 1.

Wait, Gunslinger 3? You get touch attacks natively and Dead Eye is available at level 1. 3 you get an initiative bonus and can pistol whip. 3 only makes sense if you go Musketmaster, as that's when they get their boost.

Tokuhara
2011-11-10, 12:03 PM
Take Paladin on top of the Mysterious Stranger archetype. Say hello to the best saves in the game, and you're only reliant on DEX and CHA. I've been wanting to do a Mysterious Stranger 12/(Anti) Paladin 2/Something else (likely Alchemist or Rogue) 6 for some time.

Mysterious Stranger 12/Paladin 2/Justicar 3/Low Templar 3

You are the "sherrif" who does "street justice"

MukkTB
2011-11-10, 12:38 PM
When I first saw this class I kind of scratched my head because not every setting is going to be a firearm setting.

Nice when guns are floating around.

Psyren
2011-11-10, 02:02 PM
I wish Spellslinger had been a Magus rather than a Wizard archetype. Would have been a sweet way to get Gunmage into PF. Then they could have tailored the Magus list to include more ranged spells, with the caveat that they need to be fired through the guns or something.

Bhaakon
2011-11-10, 05:22 PM
You can use a myrmidarch as a magus spellslinger, but you're really giving up a lot.