PDA

View Full Version : [3.X] Chameleon from Races of Destiny

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-11-10, 07:52 AM
So, I've been thinking about this class a lot, mostly for the purposes of item creation. But since I'm re-reading it, I noticed something.

Ability Boon. Gives you a +2 competence bonus to one ability score when you choose an Aptitude Focus, that lasts until you change your Aptitude Focus. Increases to +4 at 7th and +6 at 10th. But you also gain something else at 7th-- the ability to choose two Aptitude Focuses at the same time.

So, you choose one Aptitude Focus and get a +4 bonus to one ability score. Then, without changing the first Aptitude Focus, you choose another Aptitude Focus.

Am I reading it correctly, that you would then gain a second +4 competence bonus to another ability score?

Also, how do the spellcasting aptitude focuses interact with classes like Wyrm Wizard or Pathfinder Savant that add additional spells to your spellcasting class lists? Obviously, you could already prepare those spells whenever you chose the appropriate focus, but do those classes give you the option of preparing them using either focus?

You can't use Chameleon casting to qualify for a feat or prestige class, but if you are otherwise qualified can you apply "+1 caster level" to the Chameleon's Aptitude Focus?

Would the Academic Priest feat from Legends of the Twins modify the Chameleon's Divine Focus, if you specified the Chameleon class when you took it?

I'm well aware of the rotating bonus feat trick for item creation, but can a spontaneous caster do the same thing with Expanded Arcana (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/expanded-arcana) to gain a little extra flexibility?

Malachei
2011-11-10, 08:09 AM
Am I reading it correctly, that you would then gain a second +4 competence bonus to another ability score?

I'd say yes.

Also, how do the spellcasting aptitude focuses interact with classes like Wyrm Wizard or Pathfinder Savant that add additional spells to your spellcasting class lists? Obviously, you could already prepare those spells whenever you chose the appropriate focus, but do those classes give you the option of preparing them using either focus?

If they are on your spell list (spells known), then yes, of course.

I must say that personally, I think that the concept of the Chameleon is as boring to me as the Factotum. I've nothing against Jack-of-all-trades characters, I just don't like emulating classes. It somehow is a non-class.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-11-10, 08:24 AM
If they are on your spell list (spells known), then yes, of course.

Well, the issue is that the Chameleon doesn't have a class spell list, and as a prepared caster, doesn't have a list of spells known. He can prepare any spell from any arcane spellcasting class as long as it is in his spellbook, and any divine spell from any divine spellcasting class ever.

So, what I'm asking is, if he has a class feature that adds spells to his class spell list, does that mean that he is then allowed to prepare that spell as either arcane or divine?

I must say that personally, I think that the concept of the Chameleon is as boring to me as the Factotum. I've nothing against Jack-of-all-trades characters, I just don't like emulating classes. It somehow is a non-class.

I'm not really shooting for a jack of all trades. There's just no spellcasting class that can cast all the spells I want, much less in the fashion that I would prefer to cast them. Chameleon//Sorcerer appears to be as close as I can get.

Gnaeus
2011-11-10, 08:27 AM
Well, the issue is that the Chameleon doesn't have a class spell list, and as a prepared caster, doesn't have a list of spells known. He can prepare any spell from any arcane spellcasting class as long as it is in his spellbook, and any divine spell from any divine spellcasting class ever.

So, what I'm asking is, if he has a class feature that adds spells to his class spell list, does that mean that he is then allowed to prepare that spell as either arcane or divine?.

You said it yourself. he doesn't have a class spell list. That feature would do nothing for him.

Malachei
2011-11-10, 08:29 AM
A prepared caster does have a list of spells known (aka spellbook).

If a prepared caster enters a prestige class that adds spells known, he adds them to his spellbook.

You prepare and cast these spells just as a wizard does

Gnaeus
2011-11-10, 08:32 AM
A chameleon isn't a prepared caster. It can duplicate a prepared caster with a focus. Adding to a chameleon's class spell list does nothing.

Malachei
2011-11-10, 08:46 AM
Wyrm Wizard points out an addition "class spell list", which, by the way, is poorly written RAW, because it would mean, technically, a prepared caster would not automatically know the spell gained (as they don't know their full spell class list).

As the same text also points out "you gain the knowledge and use of one additional spell in this manner", this strikes me as a contradiction. Especially since the class is open to prepared spellcasters only.

Sandshaper adds spells known (with example for prepared casters, which is what the Chameleon emulates with "You prepare and cast these spells just as a wizard does"). IMO, it is superior to Wyrm Wizard, as well.

Of course, you have to meet the PrC's prerequisites first.

kulosle
2011-11-10, 05:54 PM
the uncanny trickster works for the chameleon no question about it. most people do this to avoid conflict. ask you dm he's the final say anyways. i don't belive that it works by raw, but i haven't met a DM yet who won't let me.

Venger
2011-11-11, 12:01 AM
congrats on playing chameleon! I'm playing one in my game too, they're the best.

as far as feats/prcs though, you are not allowed to use your aptitude focus or free-floating feat to qualify for any feat or PrC.

the easiest way of determining what you actually qualify for is if it says "able to cast xth lvl arcane/divine spells" then you can give it a pass because you do not cast spells, since you don't have a feature called "spellcasting" on your chart.

that said, there are a number of classes that say "caster lvl or spell like abilities xth level" such as mindbender and sand shaper. depending on what you entered the chameleon as (such as a factotum) you can progress its SLAs in the form of arcane dilettante and get cool class abilities from classes.

here is a comprehensive list of all the prestige classes that you can enter that give a unique progression (by which I mean their own list, such as ur-priest or suel arcanamach) that also require no previous spellcasting ability, since you do not have it:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181091

best of luck

Fax Celestis
2011-11-11, 12:06 AM
You can't use Chameleon casting to qualify for a feat or prestige class, but if you are otherwise qualified can you apply "+1 caster level" to the Chameleon's Aptitude Focus?

No. They don't have spellcasting. They have a class feature that emulates spellcasting.