PDA

View Full Version : Bluff checks on the party

Palthera
2011-11-10, 11:01 AM
Just wondering how much meta-gaming is a problem for other DMs, with my last group (running a story spanning almost six years), I encountered the conundrum of the bluff check, do you, when lying to the party, roll the bluff check regardless or wait for them to use sense motive?
I had one very meta-gamey player, but the rest were really good. Then there was the problem is that I am a very good liar, which is fine when I had someone with a lot of ranks in bluff but if I'd just told a convincing lie and then rolled a 1 on a bluff... problem. So, how do the other DMs out there deal with bluffing?

Flickerdart
2011-11-10, 11:26 AM
Have your NPCs always take ten on bluffing? It'll eliminate the suspicious roll, and also the chance of a bad result.

Pilo
2011-11-10, 11:37 AM
1 on competence check is not a fumble. Only attack roll are subject to fumble.

There is a thing you could do: roll your check then play the liar, so you can adapt your roleplay to the dices.

Morbis Meh
2011-11-10, 12:18 PM
1 on competence check is not a fumble. Only attack roll are subject to fumble.

There is a thing you could do: roll your check then play the liar, so you can adapt your roleplay to the dices.

You forgot that saves are also subject to fumbles as well. As for skills there are variant rules that you get a +10 on a 20 and a -10 on a natural one.

As for the topic at hand, I eliminate the metagame conundrum by rolling there sense motives roll then they never know how their character really did. Also if you're strong arming the PC's into doing something or believing something it usually isn't a good idea if said people ate metagamers...

Lord Vukodlak
2011-11-10, 02:52 PM
Askng a player to walk blindly into something stupid can be a bit much. So it is always best to roll there sense motives for them. The same thing can be said for spot and listen if the results aren't immediately followed by combat.

For example I'd never describe a location as having stone gargoyles unless they really were only statues. Rather then ask my players to blindly walk there characters into a trap. I simply won't mention the Gargoyles unless someone makes the spot check to notice they're alive.

GeekGirl
2011-11-10, 03:49 PM
Personally, I roll with everything my NPC's say. When it sounds like the truth or not. My players have gotten better at when to sense motive and when not to.

Coidzor
2011-11-10, 05:18 PM
passive checks & prepared bunches of notes for major NPCs, even ones that aren't necessarily going to be bluffing them so they never know exactly what the notes truly entail.

Which is a bit too much work for my tastes, but seems the most complete solution I've seen so far.

Zejety
2011-11-10, 05:38 PM
I don't know if that helps you but there is an IPhone app that can automatically roll a die every few seconds. So you'll just have to take a look at your phone when you need a new roll.

GMToolKit (http://itunes.apple.com/de/app/gmtoolkit-rpg-helper/id320133589?mt=8)

edit: I'm referring to the "suspicious roll" that Flickerdart mentioned.