PDA

View Full Version : Does this happen to you?

Asta Kask
2011-11-10, 12:59 PM
I can forget the name of salt when it's on the table. In front of me. And I want it.

Me: "Can you pass the errrr..."

Other person: "I'm sorry?"

Me: "Can you pass the errr...."

Other person: "The what?"

Me: *makes vague hand gestures towards the table*

Other person: "Ok. Pepper? Garlic? Cloves? Salt?"

Me: "YES! Thank you. Salt."

Yora
2011-11-10, 01:02 PM
Yes, happens sometimes with "that thingy".

Unless it happens constantly, it's not a problem. Just the brain glitching a bit.

Keld Denar
2011-11-10, 01:29 PM
It could be worse...you could forget the name of the person in front of you.

Who is your girlfriend...

Who is NOT pleased...

Kneenibble
2011-11-10, 01:30 PM
What kind of meal are you eating that there are cloves and garlic on the table as if they are condiments?

Morph Bark
2011-11-10, 01:32 PM
Which is why, when it comes to people, you shouldn't just say a name that sounds right when you just had trouble remembering it.

"So what do you wanna do, Laura?"

"...the name is Amanda."

"...[explicative]."

Spiryt
2011-11-10, 01:34 PM
It happens sometimes, but no really with salt or whatever.....

Mostly with some words, no matter of language.

I know that this word fits just perfectly, but I can't remind it.....

What kind of meal are you eating that there are cloves and garlic on the table as if they are condiments?

That's good question..... :smalleek:

Haruki-kun
2011-11-10, 01:37 PM
Yup. All the time. Eventually I started pointing at the stuff I was referring to.

Telonius
2011-11-10, 01:49 PM

Who is NOT pleased...

Times like this require quotes from "The Last Unicorn."

BUTTERFLY: Your name is a golden bell hung in my heart. I would break my body to pieces to call you once by your name!
UNICORN: Say it, if you know.
BUTTERFLY: Rumpelstiltskin! Gotcha!

With any luck she'll be laughing hard enough that she forgets you've never actually answered the question.

HalfDragonCube
2011-11-10, 01:53 PM

Have you never eaten a spice cupboard before? :smallconfused: I prefer the oak ones.

Asta Kask
2011-11-10, 01:54 PM
I just made **** up to fill out the table.

HalfDragonCube
2011-11-10, 01:59 PM
I just made **** up to fill out the table.

Ewww... :smallyuk: Asterisks don't taste nice.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-10, 02:05 PM
Not really. Though I hardly ever need anyone to pass me anything.

Asta Kask
2011-11-10, 02:05 PM
No, but sometimes they are necessary.

H Birchgrove
2011-11-10, 02:24 PM
You should have just said "Could you please smurf me the smurf?" :smalltongue:

Yeah, it has happened to me, though not with salt. There are times I sit in front of the laptop, about to write something, realising I've forgotten the word both in English and Swedish. Verily, this frustrate me quite a lot.

Which is why, when it comes to people, you shouldn't just say a name that sounds right when you just had trouble remembering it.

"...the name is Amanda."

"...[explicative]."

I'll just call her "darling", "my angel", "my valkyrie" or "mistress" then, and hope for the best. :smallredface:

I do have terrible memory for names...

thubby
2011-11-10, 03:43 PM
my family calls them TMS
Temporary
Moment of
Stupidity

Bhu
2011-11-10, 03:54 PM
This will sound far more ominous than I intend it to, but have you had your blood sugar/heart health checked?

HalfDragonCube
2011-11-10, 04:09 PM
This will sound far more ominous than I intend it to, but have you had your blood sugar/heart health checked?

Why do I get the feeling that there should be a :elan: 'Duh! Duuuh! DUUUH!' involved?

On a slightly less off-the-wall note (the above two posts being sponsored by sleep loss and chocolate milkshake), yeah, you might have some kinda blood thingy, but it's unlikely.

TheCountAlucard
2011-11-10, 04:11 PM
It happens a few times, though I've never had it occur with salt. A longtime friend's name, though? Yeah, slipped up once or twice there, especially if the person's not around. :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2011-11-10, 04:43 PM
I'll just call her "darling", "my angel", "my valkyrie" or "mistress" then, and hope for the best. :smallredface:

I prefer "delicious" myself. :smallwink: The confusion is generally enough to use to either run away or press the advantage.

H Birchgrove
2011-11-10, 04:46 PM
I prefer "delicious" myself. :smallwink: The confusion is generally enough to use to either run away or press the advantage.

Non nom nom! :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2011-11-10, 04:52 PM
Non nom nom! :smallbiggrin:

More of an om, I find. :smallwink: But then I might be corrupted by sandviches (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAGB11YrSs).

Androgeus
2011-11-10, 06:24 PM
Happens all the times. I'm always after the thing from the place with the generic hand gestures.

MoonCat
2011-11-10, 06:28 PM
Yeah, all the time. Sometimes on an even larger scale, where I temporarily forget anything that happened during the day, or can't remember if I've had dinner yet that day. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Cloudcuckoolander)

DeadManSleeping
2011-11-10, 06:28 PM
This happens to everyone. Every. One. You've probably just forgotten instances of it happening to other people. But I can definitely recall times where my friends have been agonizing over what to call something for hours and I say "you mean the pencil?" and they're like "YES! THANK YOU!".

Howler Dagger
2011-11-10, 06:31 PM
Happens occasoinally. The weird thing is, if my twin brother is around, after a few moments of me saying "that thing" and similar things, he will know what it is. The problem is, he has the brain fail too, so we both are unable to describe the thing.

Eldan
2011-11-10, 06:31 PM
All the time.

Not only with objects. Also names and faces.

Record?

Sitting down and thinking, out of nowhere: "Wait, does my father need glasses? Have I ever seen him with glasses?"

In fact, I have. He rarely takes them off.

Orzel
2011-11-10, 06:36 PM

"...the name is Amanda."

"...[explicative]."

See that's the wrong response

"...the name is Amanda."

"Not you. There's my friend, Laura. HEY LAURA! NO? NOT LAURA. YOU LOOK LIKE MY COUSIN LAURA! Amanda, she looks like Laura. Face's so similar."

Partof1
2011-11-10, 07:00 PM
I remember two instances when I utterly forgot the word "sophisticated".

Very annoying, because I knew the definition, more orless, but not the word.

Lady Moreta
2011-11-10, 07:48 PM

Who is NOT pleased...

My husband's done that with me... except it was forgetting my birthday, rather than my name. Then again, I have trouble remembering our wedding anniversary so I'd say that makes us even :smallbiggrin:

Virtually everyone I know has done this at some point...

My personal favourite is when I start freaking out because I can't find my glasses and am searching the house desperately - only for my husband to point out that I am in fact, wearing them - at which point I realise that if I didn't have them on, I wouldn't be able to see...

Calliope121
2011-11-10, 08:09 PM
YES!!! I'll be reading something for work, and thinking about something else, and suddenly I'll realize that I have no idea what it said, and i'll have to read it all over again

THAC0
2011-11-10, 08:51 PM
My personal favourite is when I start freaking out because I can't find my glasses and am searching the house desperately - only for my husband to point out that I am in fact, wearing them - at which point I realise that if I didn't have them on, I wouldn't be able to see...

Once, my husband lost his wallet. He was panicking, calling everywhere he'd been that day to see if someone turned it in. I found it within 10 seconds. In his pocket.

Another time he lost his wallet. That time I found it in the refrigerator. :smalleek:

llamamushroom
2011-11-10, 09:12 PM
Another time he lost his wallet. That time I found it in the refrigerator. :smalleek:

My degree in Hollywood Medicine leads me to the only possible conclusion: HE'S PREGNANT!

On a more related note, I forget words all the freaking time. Incidentally, I'm practically Italian in my use of hand gestures, but if I forget a word while talking I tend to repeat the gesture I was using over and over until I get it, leading my friends to start playing a game of charades where the answer almost always looks like "dishwasher".

The worst possible time? Just the other day, I taught my class the word "protagonist", and five minutes later forgot it. In front of 16 teenagers whose respect I have only tenuously cultivated. That was the definition of a fun lesson.

MlleRouge
2011-11-10, 09:17 PM
Oh yes. This happens to me.

My favorite example was the time I forgot how to play d&d. Like, I forgot everything. I was in the middle of DMing a session, too. After I told the group to roll initiative, I looked down at my own notes and went 'Holy crap, what are all these numbers for?'

I stared at them for like 15 seconds before it all just sort of came back in a snap. My whole group was staring at me awkwardly...:smallredface:

EmeraldRose
2011-11-10, 09:43 PM
I can forget the name of salt when it's on the table. In front of me. And I want it.

Me: "Can you pass the errrr..."

Other person: "I'm sorry?"

Me: "Can you pass the errr...."

Other person: "The what?"

Me: *makes vague hand gestures towards the table*

Other person: "Ok. Pepper? Garlic? Cloves? Salt?"

Me: "YES! Thank you. Salt."
You have quite the selection of condiments on your table...:smallbiggrin:

HalfDragonCube
2011-11-11, 11:55 AM
You have quite the selection of condiments on your table...:smallbiggrin:

That's a novel euphemism.

Asta Kask
2011-11-11, 05:33 PM

Actually I had my blood sugar checked today. No, I think this dysnomia (difficulty to name things) is just part of my lovable absent-minded professor persona. My mother has it too and has had it for as long as I can remember.

Bhu
2011-11-11, 07:15 PM
well besides sugar i was worried about the possibility of whats called a silent stroke. Hence why i mentioned the heart thingie

Ceric
2011-11-11, 07:17 PM
Happens occasoinally. The weird thing is, if my twin brother is around, after a few moments of me saying "that thing" and similar things, he will know what it is. The problem is, he has the brain fail too, so we both are unable to describe the thing.

My (non-twin) sis and I do this all the time. Except it'll be more like me asking her to pass me the whatsitcalled thingy and she passes it to me and we continue as if nothing happened. Sometimes people stare at us. :smallbiggrin:

Starwulf
2011-11-12, 12:41 AM
This thread has perfect timing, lol, as this very thing just happened to me ^^. Once Upon a Time(the new TV show) had a commercial on, and I was like "Hey sweetheart, There's our new favorite show xxxxxxxx. Wait...what's it called again? Wow, I really can't remember what it's called" "Once Upon a Time honey" Ooooh yeah! Much eye-rolling was done on her part :)

Lord Raziere
2011-11-12, 12:55 AM
Only for names. Me good with faces, not names.

Shadow of the Sun
2011-11-12, 01:14 AM
Yeah, this happens to me a lot.

Out of deference to my love of Terry Pratchett, I'll generally say "thingummy" and "wotsit".