PDA

View Full Version : Character creation for newbies

WarKitty
2011-11-10, 01:27 PM
I've noticed a few pitfalls that new roleplayers tend to fall into. Since I'm starting with a new group, I wanted to put together a list of tips for creating decent roleplaying characters. Trying to keep it both system and GM independent (so it doesn't run in trouble with groups like mine where the GM is also new). Suggestions desired!

A few that I had:

(1) Try to create active characters, rather than reactive ones. Avoid the dark brooding types. It may seem like a good idea, but your character won't become involved in the world.

(2) If you're not too confidant with your roleplaying skills, give your character one major, generic motivation. Don't make it too specific without GM approval - you want something general enough to fit to whatever plot is available. A desire for fame/honor/money/power works well.

(3) While a major or overriding motivation is fine, don't make a one-dimensional character. Generally, 2 character traits and 2-3 important motivations work well.

(4) Ask how serious or silly the game is before you start building a character. Don't put a ninja clown in a serious dramatic game, and don't build a revenge-obsessed orphan for a silly game. It will lead to frustration all around.

Mando Knight
2011-11-10, 01:53 PM
While keeping (1) in mind, it's alright if one player ends up being the outsider, so long as he's OK with that. At the same time, the players should collaborate to some extent... no one should make an Elf who bears an eternal grudge against all Dwarves when the rest of the party is Dwarven, and relations might be tense between the one player from the Holy Empire of Awesome and the pals from the Free Republic of Freedom, even if they're all nominally Good.

Terraoblivion
2011-11-10, 03:13 PM
5. Have a clear idea of what you're trying to do and what kind of character you want to make. Focus is one of the most important parts of creating a character, then branch out once you feel confident that you know the core basics of the character.

WarKitty
2011-11-10, 03:31 PM
While keeping (1) in mind, it's alright if one player ends up being the outsider, so long as he's OK with that. At the same time, the players should collaborate to some extent... no one should make an Elf who bears an eternal grudge against all Dwarves when the rest of the party is Dwarven, and relations might be tense between the one player from the Holy Empire of Awesome and the pals from the Free Republic of Freedom, even if they're all nominally Good.

I wasn't complaining about the outsider status within the world as much as the difficulty of getting such characters to interact meaningfully with the world. I've seen far too many anti-social "I sit in the corner of the bar and ignore the obvious plot hook NPC looking for people to hire" types coming from new players. Usually it's caused by a new player who isn't sure of their roleplaying skills and thinks such a character will be easier, only to find themselves having to work to find reasons to stay involved in the game.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-10, 03:36 PM
The method I see most people use:

1. Pick one of your favorite characters from TV, film, or literature.

2. Add you own "charm" to how the character is played.

3. Get the person who introduced/convinced you to play do most of the work.

4. ???

5. Profit

That's how decided upon my first character. Right After I saw the Lord of the Rings. Ever imagine Frodo Baggins as CE?:smallwink:

Mando Knight
2011-11-10, 04:54 PM
I wasn't complaining about the outsider status within the world as much as the difficulty of getting such characters to interact meaningfully with the world. I've seen far too many anti-social "I sit in the corner of the bar and ignore the obvious plot hook NPC looking for people to hire" types coming from new players. Usually it's caused by a new player who isn't sure of their roleplaying skills and thinks such a character will be easier, only to find themselves having to work to find reasons to stay involved in the game.

Well, being an outsider to the rest of the party (or being a party of outsiders toward each other), especially if your loyalties remain outside the party, also leads to similar anti-social behavior.

Reynard
2011-11-10, 05:07 PM
(1) Try to create active characters, rather than reactive ones. Avoid the dark brooding types. It may seem like a good idea, but your character won't become involved in the world.

As an Exalted ST, I agree so damn hard with this. I've seen so many people new to the game creating characters who honestly never would have Exalted in the first place if they'd acted they way they do during the game.

On the flipside, I was the only "active" character in one Exalted game, and after a while it felt like I was hogging the spotlight. I don't like that feeling, but...

When the quietest person in the game complained about how I was playing my character, I'd responded with a "Man up, it's Exalted. If you want the spotlight on your character, then have your character actually do things, instead of just following along and reacting to things that happen."

Hyudra
2011-11-10, 05:50 PM
6) Attach yourself to the world. Think of friends, family, allies, enemies, people you've fought alongside. Conversely, avoid severing yourself from the world; being amnesiac doesn't give your character anything to work with and is surprisingly bland. Ditto for being the sole survivor of an orc raid that killed everyone in your village except you.

This does a lot for making a character well rounded, and you can get a lot of brownie points with a DM by giving them some free material/ideas to work with, even getting characters a thumbs up where they normally wouldn't get one (by virtue of being a monster, evil, a little off the wall, etc).

jackattack
2011-11-10, 06:47 PM
E. Think about what your character does when he is out of combat. What kind of skills does he have? How would he make a living without an adventure or a quest or a war? What does he do for fun? Buy skills appropriately.