PDA

View Full Version : (PEACH) 3.5 Epic Destinies - Chosen By A Greater Power

Cogidubnus
2011-11-10, 01:37 PM
So, the idea is to do a series of Epic Destinies, each representing the favour of a different powerful entity (The Lords of the Nine, Demon Lords, The Far Realms, The Faerie Courts, etc.) Here's the first.

Chosen of the Nine

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/280/1/1/nobody_but_me_by_dianar87-d3093tv.jpg

Sometimes, an individual comes to attentions of the Lords of the Nine Hells in a good way. Someone they think can help enlarge their kingdom, winning over mortals for them, and fighting their enemies. Such individuals are contacted, often by one of the Lords themselves, and offered the favour of the Lords of the Nine in return for their services. Few would turn down such an offer, and even fewer are those who would dare deny a Lord of the Nine.

Requirements: 21st level, Lawful Evil, Must have made friendly contact with a Devil, 20 ranks in Profession: Barrister

{table=head]Level |
Benefit

21st | Dark Contract, Contract Rewards

24th | Hellfire Infusion

27th | Intervention of the Nine

30th | Blood Pact

[/table]

Dark Contract: At 21st level, you gain the ability to create Dark Contracts. These Contracts allow you to grant various benefits to other creatures, in return for a (usually unfair) price. Creating a Contract requires a Profession: Barrister check with a DC equal to the HD of the creature you are making a contract with, minimum 10. The Contracts that may be formed vary according to your character level, as laid out in the table below. The exact effects are detailed beneath the table. No creature may receive the benefits of more than one Contract at a time, but they may owe payment on more than one. All SLAs granted are cast with a Caster Level of the recipients ECL. Signing a Dark Contract is an Evil act and must be performed of the creature's own will.

{table=head]Level |
Contract |
Cost

21st | Lesser Planar Ally | Equal service for the Chosen and the Hells

24th | Planar Ally | Equal service for the Chosen and the Hells

24th | Ability Score Increase | Alignment shifts one step closer to LE

27th | Greater Planar Ally | Equal service for the Chosen and the Hells

30th | Faustian Pact | Soul

[/table]

Planar Ally Contracts: Allow the recipient to cast the related spell from the Planar Ally line, always summoning a creature from the Nine Hells, with no experience cost and no need to pay the usual cost of the creature’s aid. In return, the recipient must provide an equal duration of service to both the Chosen of the Nine and to the Lords of the Nine themselves, or their chosen representatives.

Ability Score Increase: The recipient benefits from a +3 increase to a single ability score. Their alignment then shifts one step closer towards evil, and one step closer towards lawful. For example, a Chaotic Neutral character would become Neutral Evil. As long as the character’s alignment is not Lawful Evil, they may make this Contract multiple times until their alignment is both Lawful and Evil. A recipient who receives an Atonement to change their alignment loses the benefits of this contract.

Faustian Pact: The recipient benefits from a +5 profane bonus to one ability score, and a +3 profane bonus to another. Their age categories increase in length by 3 times and they cease to suffer from aging penalties. They can cast Greater Planar Ally once per day as a SLA, and do not need to pay for the services rendered as long as the Ally remains no longer than the recipient’s ECL in minutes. When the recipient dies, their soul becomes the property of the Lords of the Nine, and they may only be raised with the express permission of the Lord in control of the soul. Nothing short of the intervention of a major deity may subvert this effect.

Other Contracts: At the DM’s discretion, the Chosen of the Nine may draw up different contracts with different costs (which could include valuables sacrificed to the Nine or the building of a church in their honour), but this is entirely up to the DM, and may also require an increased DC Profession: Barrister check.

Failure to Pay For Contracts: Anyone who signs a contract with a Chosen of the Nine is placed under a Geas to provide the payment when it is demanded, and if they fail they are nauseated until they agree to do so. Any attempt to remove either of these conditions requires a Wish or Limited Wish spell, and a Caster Level check equal to twice the Chosen of the Nine’s ECL, as the Lords of the Nine reinforce the contracts their Chosen make with great vigour.

Contract Rewards: The Chosen of the Nine may pick one of these rewards upon successfully persuading another creature to sign a Dark Contract. A Chosen may never have more than one of these rewards at once.

A +1 Profane bonus to a single ability score for each 6 HD of the recipient.
Regeneration equal to ¼ of the HD of the recipient. This stacks with other forms of regeneration and is bypassed only by silver, good-aligned weapons.
Immunity to either negative levels, ability score damage or death effects.
Resistance to one energy type equal to the HD of the recipient.

Hellfire Infusion: At 24th level, the Chosen of the Nine may wrap its weapons or spells in Hellfire. At the beginning of each round, the Chosen of the Nine may sacrifice one hit point to deal two hit points of extra Hellfire damage whenever he damages an opponent. There is no limit to the number of hit points that may be sacrificed in a given round, and this hit point loss bypasses all regeneration and DR. Alternatively, the Chosen may suffer one point of Constitution damage to deal 15 extra damage for this round. If the Chosen is immune to Constitution damage, they may still use this ability, but may gain no more than 45 extra damage from “Constitution damage” in each round. Hellfire bypasses Fire Resistance and Fire Immunity.

Intervention of the Nine: At 27th level, the Lords of the Nine will actively intervene to save the life of their Chosen. Once per encounter, when the Chosen of the Nine would be killed, this ability activates, restoring the Chosen to half their starting hit points. However, this temporarily uses up the favour of the Lords of the Nine, stopping the Chosen of the Nine from using his Hellfire Infusion ability for the rest of the encounter.

Blood Pact: At 30th level, the Chosen of the Nine is a master at trapping people within contracts. Whenever the Chosen of the Nine uses an action that deals damage to an opponent (such as a standard attack action, a full attack action, or casting a damaging spell), they may snag a little part of the essence of the creature they have injured. The creature must make a Will Save opposed by the Chosen of the Nine’s Profession: Barrister check. If they fail, then if they die in the next 5 minutes they are damned, as though they had sold their soul through a Faustian Pact. The Chosen of the Nine receives the usual Contract Reward for forming this sort of Contract, but only if the recipient dies within 5 minutes. Furthermore, the recipient must make a Will Save each round (same DC as the original one) if it wishes to attempt an action that would harm the Chosen of the Nine. Failure does not waste the action.

Immortality – Soul-Gatherer of the Hells
You continue on the path your Lords have set you upon, winning over souls for them. You cease to age, and become for all eternity an instigator of the will of the Nine. The Hells are full of souls you have tricked into damnation, and you are richly rewarded for it.

Cogidubnus
2011-11-10, 01:38 PM
<Reserved for Far Realms>

Cogidubnus
2011-11-10, 01:39 PM
<Reserved for Demon Lords>

Cogidubnus
2011-11-10, 01:40 PM
<Reserved for Good deities>

Cogidubnus
2011-11-10, 01:42 PM
<Reserved for Faerie Courts>

gkathellar
2011-11-10, 02:11 PM
I'm a little disappointed that even after 30 levels and an Epic Destiny you're still just a delivery boy for the Nine. You don't even get to replace one?

Blisstake
2011-11-10, 02:16 PM
I don't think any class should have a Profession skill be a major component of it. I mean, who actually would take Profession (Barrister) unless it was specifically for the benefit of an epic class they wouldn't be able to benefit from until epic levels?

Cogidubnus
2011-11-10, 04:12 PM
I don't think any class should have a Profession skill be a major component of it. I mean, who actually would take Profession (Barrister) unless it was specifically for the benefit of an epic class they wouldn't be able to benefit from until epic levels?

I often take Profession: Barrister. It's hilarious if some tries to arrest you :smallbiggrin:

And could a 30th level character REALLY replace a Lord of the Nine without DM Fiat? :smallamused: That'd be a short fight, I'm sure.

gkathellar
2011-11-10, 04:52 PM
And could a 30th level character REALLY replace a Lord of the Nine without DM Fiat? :smallamused: That'd be a short fight, I'm sure.

... which versions of the Nine do you use? Dicefreaks? Because I love their fluff, but statting up CR sixty-whatsit boss monsters does not strike me as either constructive or interesting.

The whole assumption of Epic Destinies is that there's really no point in going past level 30, and I honestly don't see the point in a big bad you can't defeat by that point even existing. I suppose if you're working from the whole "the Nine are invincible universal constants, like unto gods" angle that's okay, but really the only one I could imagine applying that to is Asmodeus.

The Tygre
2011-11-10, 07:14 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/newsfeed/000/165/461/My%20body%20is%20ready.jpg?1314046728

This looks like it's going to be all sorts of kick ass. :smallcool:

Shadow Lord
2011-11-10, 09:04 PM
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/075/0/5/Cthulhu_Seal_of_Approval_by_freemustard.jpg

Far Realms better be next. I got ideas, I do. Perhaps add some options to incorporate it with, I don't know, Xenotheurgy and/or Ozodrin?

Yitzi
2011-11-10, 10:18 PM
A technical issue with the regeneration bonus:
Say a troll (regeneration 5/fire and acid) becomes a Chosen of the Nine, signs a contract with a 12HD creature, and picks the regeneration bonus.

-What happens if he is dealt fire damage not by a good silvered weapon?
-What happens if he is dealt non-fire-or-acid damage by a good silvered weapon?
-What happens if he is dealt nonlethal fire damage by a good silvered weapon? (Note that if nonlethal fire damage is dealt to a troll, he still regenerates; while the fire damage means it isn't automatically converted to nonlethal damage, once it's nonlethal it's regenerated as usual.)

Unless there's going to be different categories of nonlethal damage (overall a mess), I see no real way to deal with the complications.

Cieyrin
2011-11-11, 02:27 PM
I don't really see how signing a contract, infernal or otherwise, is an Evil action. What's in the contract may be Good or Evil but agreeing to one before hand is clearly a Lawful action, since it involves giving your word that you'll pay back what is owed, regardless of whether the trade is fair, as that is not a requirement of writing up an agreement.

Another thing is I think the number of Contract Rewards a Chosen can benefit from should scale as they get better at the tricking people deeper into the hole.

Hellfire Infusion is a bit too modular, I think, basing it off of hitpoints and all. Especially since they can just use the "Con damage without taking damage" route to Hellfire City, since Immunity to Con damage should not be a difficult prospect to achieve in the Epic levels. Even without that, getting a Craft Contingency of Heal on you so you can burn somebody to flinders and come back full health or use that Devoted Spirit maneuver that casts a Heal on you or any number of other ways to go about it to make it an absolute joke to get something for nothing. I'd probably do some heavy reworking of that, either just granting some Hellfire damage on top of whatever you normally deal, make it limited per encounter based off of some ability score mod, like Con or Cha, or some other solution.