PDA

View Full Version : Help with the paladin

lorddrake
2011-11-10, 01:52 PM
Some while ago I started a thread asking some PrC suggestions to, well, suggest to my druid player. People thought it is not necessary to apply a PrC on the druid because, you know, tier 1 might etc (the lone exception the well balanced planar shepherd).

Now I come again for help. (And this time I might find people agreeing more about Prc).

What is your suggestion for a kind of homebrewed version of the paladin (that is neutral good)?

This guy needs more love, certainly, than the druid.

(And remember... I'm not gonna push this PrC to the player... I'm gonna suggest and maybe she'll like)

EDIT: Forgot to tell: assume anything (books, etc) goes.

Keld Denar
2011-11-10, 02:18 PM
Its not "homebrew" but Crusaders can be NG, practice divine butt-kickage in a very paladinesque way, are martially inclined like a Paladin is, and solidly Tier 3 in terms of power and versatility.

Its in Tome of Battle: The Book of 9 Swords.

It's probably one of THE most recommended books on this forum.

EDIT: Its also multiclass friendly. If your Pally wants to multiclass into Crusader, he'll start with a decent IL and get access to moderatly decent maneuvers. It would be like being a Fighter for 4 levels, then taking a level of Wizard and immediately getting access to 1st and 2nd level spells, instead of just 1st.

Optimator
2011-11-10, 04:24 PM
A charging smite Paladin with Rhino's Rush prepped multiclassed with a Crusader focusing on charge maneuvers would be pretty nasty.

kulosle
2011-11-10, 04:59 PM
isn't there a PrC called gray guard that lets you be neutral good. not sure. any who if you were to play a paladin i'd suggest the ordained champion PrC in the Complete Champion. it makes paladin a viable class. there is a really cool build for it that is a bard paladin ordained champion with a one level dip in cloistered cleric. Initiate of Milil (CoV): Bard, Cleric, & Paladin levels stack for Bardic Music/turn undead/smite. From Sword to Song: turns smite attempts into bardic music. then the ordained champion turns turn undead attempts into smite attempts. all of the bardic music ever.

darkdragoon
2011-11-10, 05:22 PM
Gray Guard gives them wiggle room... if the act is serving the interests of the order. It does open up smite evil to smite chaos, and later any alignment.

Keld Denar
2011-11-10, 06:55 PM
Greyguard doesn't allow them to be NG, but it does allow them to act NG sometimes.

gorfnab
2011-11-10, 09:38 PM
Crusader 5/ Hellreaver X is fairly decent for a melee type Paladin.

Mystic Ranger 4/ Knight of the Raven 3/ Stalker of Kharash 2/ Crusader 2/ Ruby Knight Vindicator 9 makes for a fairly decent paladin like character.

Mystic Ranger 5/ Stalker of Kharash 10/ X 5 - X could be anything thematic like Sacred Exorcist, Eldeen Ranger, more Mystic Ranger, Beast Master (if you want something resembling a mount).