PDA

View Full Version : Making a Sky knight need advise

urbanwolf
2011-11-10, 04:41 PM
I'm trying to make a PC that will still be fun and cool but will let the other players have the spotlight
I was looking through my books and thought Skylord(exalted deeds) looked like it could fit the bill
Right now I am looking at Knight 6 Sorcerer 2 Skylord X
I went with Wild elf for the favored class and I will be a follower of Vandria Gilmadrith for a reason to be Lawful Good (even though she is lawful neutral)

I will only be taking spells that have no somatic components I am having problems picking my 1st level spells so far I have the list down to

feather fall(always good when you have a flying mount)
True strike (I have a good BA but max Power attack charge with a lance will do a lot of damage)
Power Word Fatigue (No saving throw)
Power Word Pain (No saving throw, but seem a little dark even though it is not evil)

I am also looking at taking Knight 7 and only one of sorcerer I would get less spells overall and second level spells would be further away but fighting challenge goes to +2 instead of +1

I am also having problems picking my exalted feat
Touch of Golden Ice could be great and seems like the easy choice
Sanctify Martial Strike could be good
I was also thinking Nimbus of light and Holy Radiance for laughs and never needing a torch

any thoughts

urbanwolf
2011-11-14, 02:28 AM
well I decided on Feather fall and power word Fatigue for my spells and will be knight 7 sorcerer 1 Skylord X

but I still have been unable to narrow down my exalted feat choice
is there any other exalted feats or are they only in Book of exalted deeds

Keegan__D
2011-11-14, 02:39 AM
Sanctify Strike is good if you know you're facing evil very often. Anything against Nymph's Kiss?
Touch of Golden Ice gets mostly useless at higher levels unless your fists are your weapons. Also, won't you be flying? Doesn't make sense...

urbanwolf
2011-11-14, 02:58 AM
well cannot fly everywhere would be a little hard underground or in a house or anywhere not outside(or a really big cave)

and wow did not see how great Nymph's kiss was

Nymph's Kiss [EXALTED]

By maintaining an intimate relationship with a good-aligned fey (such as a nymph or dryad), you gain some of the characteristics of fey.

Prerequisite: none

Benefit: Fey creatures regard you as though you were fey. You gain a +2 circumstance bonus on all Charisma-related checks, and a +1 bonus on all saving throws against spells and spell-like abilities. Starting with the level when you take this feat, you gain 1 extra skill point per level.

almost seems to powerful
I really want to under shine
by Beguiler has had the spotlight from day one
only really sharing it with the War mage
the party is two levels or more behind (they keep dying)

marcielle
2011-11-14, 04:13 AM
Not that powerful unless you face fey often. Skill points (except things like diplomacy) really depreciate in value as the levels get higher.
Crusader>Knight and Raptoran>Elves. Who needs a flying mount when you yourself can fly. Now, the extra mount damage looks awesome but unless you KNOW you'll be spending most of the time in open sky, the mount might end up a serious liability. Throwing a lot into something that cannot be effectively used indoors(dungeons,towns,towers) might come back to bite you. Note, this is just minor optimization and you really shouldn't let it get in the way of you making a fun character. But really, Crusader>Knight. Specially if anyone else in the party is meelee.

Keegan__D
2011-11-14, 04:56 AM
well cannot fly everywhere would be a little hard underground or in a house or anywhere not outside(or a really big cave)
Will you be attacking with your fists at that point?

Though, Marcielle makes a good point on the mount. I've lost larger animals when I went in a dungeon just because the DM felt like being a ****, or thought it was too powerful. If you're not going underground, it shouldn't be a problem. The animal can find a safe place to rest when you're in a building or something for a short time. It's not like you'd leave it behind crossing a chasm.

almost seems to powerful
I really want to under shine
by Beguiler has had the spotlight from day one
only really sharing it with the War mage
the party is two levels or more behind (they keep dying)
Since it's not a lot in combat, and the alternatives are, wouldn't you be a step behind? The saves are awesome, but they're nothing compared to magic items or certain classes/class features.

Not that powerful unless you face fey often. Skill points (except things like diplomacy) really depreciate in value as the levels get higher.
What does facing Fey have to do with it? The feat gives you the traits because you're chummy with some Fey and it rubs off, apparently. The benefits aren't useable only against Fey.
Skill points are skill points, and for a character with such a low amount and no need for Int, they're definitely useful.

hex0
2011-11-14, 12:33 PM
I'd rather say go for Zhentarim Skymage in Lords of Darkness, though it is more for a Wizard 5 entry. You can still be 'knightly' and be a Wizard. :smallcool:

Fax Celestis
2011-11-14, 01:00 PM
Algorondan Griffinrider (Unapproachable East) makes a far better skyknight than Skylord. A paladin 4/ranger 4 entry is late, but with Devoted Tracker you can stack your animal companion and your mount into one creature and use Natural Bond to bump the associated creature up 3 effective levels.

Or, you can take Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) feat, and then go into Algorondan Griffinrider asap.

hex0
2011-11-14, 03:49 PM
I'd probably do Cleric into Prestige Ranger instead to enter Griffonrider.

Fax Celestis
2011-11-14, 04:10 PM
The problem with prestige ranger is that the earliest you'll get in is 6, and you're spending all your feats on prereqs (Track, Endurance, Rapid Shot), delaying your entry to griffonrider to 12th at least (since you need Mounted Combat and Ride-By Attack as well).

If you just take ranger with a one-level dip in something with Diplomacy as a class skill at 6th (say, warblade, crusader, paladin...), or go Paladin 7 you can get into griffonrider at 7th.

Building off paladin, you can also go Paladin 6/Wild Plains Outrider 1/Algorondan Griffinrider 1/Wild Plains Outrider 2/Algorondan Griffinrider 9/Whateveryouwant (Cavalier?) 1, and take the planar paladin substitution level at 6 to give your mount the celestial template. You'll end up with a pretty solid celestial griffin mount, you can full-attack if your griffin only makes a single move (up to 110'), while mounted you'll both have improved evasion (usable in armor for both of you, and with a good CHA score your Reflex save should be pretty high), you can negate up to four hits against your mount with ride checks each round, and you'll have full BAB.