PDA

View Full Version : Majora's Mask-style character

Mockingbird
2011-11-10, 06:36 PM
In an upcoming Pathfinder campaign, I'm trying to make a character like the mask salesman or link from Majora's Mask. I'd like to rely on different masks to make me do different things. We're starting at 1st level, and with our starting gold (we're working out starting equipment before we start the campaign) I bought a Hat of Disguise. It said that it can change into a headband, comb, anything along those lines, so I made it a Mask of Disguise. Anyone have any suggestions for the character class, feats, etc.?

The-Mage-King
2011-11-10, 06:47 PM
In an upcoming Pathfinder campaign, I'm trying to make a character like the mask salesman or link from Majora's Mask. I'd like to rely on different masks to make me do different things. We're starting at 1st level, and with our starting gold (we're working out starting equipment before we start the campaign) I bought a Hat of Disguise. It said that it can change into a headband, comb, anything along those lines, so I made it a Mask of Disguise. Anyone have any suggestions for the character class, feats, etc.?

See if you can use some 3.5 stuff- Master of Masks (C. Scoundrel) and Chameleon (Races of Destiny), specifically.

Possibly starting with Factotum, if you can manage it?

Mockingbird
2011-11-10, 06:57 PM
See if you can use some 3.5 stuff- Master of Masks (C. Scoundrel) and Chameleon (Races of Destiny), specifically.

Possibly starting with Factotum, if you can manage it?

Master of Masks sounds promising, just hearing the name. I'll take a look.

The-Mage-King
2011-11-10, 07:08 PM
Master of Masks sounds promising, just hearing the name. I'll take a look.

Yeah. It gets a collection of masks that give 'em different abilities.
Chameleon can change their "focus" a number of times each day, taking a combination of class abilities with each one.

So spellcaster, ranger, fighter-type, stealth, and so on.

Factotum is an "all in one" adventurer. It's really a fun class.

If you go MoM, I'd suggest Bard to start, or a level or two of Sorc in there. It'll give you some spells to start with, which is always nice when you're advancing a form of spellcasting.

Or you could go with a PrC that grants casting before it.

Mockingbird
2011-11-10, 07:11 PM
Yeah. It gets a collection of masks that give 'em different abilities.
Chameleon can change their "focus" a number of times each day, taking a combination of class abilities with each one.

So spellcaster, ranger, fighter-type, stealth, and so on.

Factotum is an "all in one" adventurer. It's really a fun class.

If you go MoM, I'd suggest Bard to start, or a level or two of Sorc in there. It'll give you some spells to start with, which is always nice when you're advancing a form of spellcasting.

Or you could go with a PrC that grants casting before it.

I might even take this PrC for my changeling in another campaign.. *thread write*

Big Fau
2011-11-10, 07:17 PM
The problem with Master of Masks is that it's fairly weak. Chameleon is significantly better, but two of it's Foci are borderline useless with the right feat expenditure.

Another option is to play a Meldshaper, but your DM may not allow Magic of Incarnum. The Totemist in particular is capable of mimicking the masks of Majora's Mask quite well though.

Safety Sword
2011-11-10, 07:28 PM
The problem with Master of Masks is that it's fairly weak.

Understatement of the year :smalltongue:

It has some highlights, but you usually lose more than you gain with MoM. Kind of a good dipping sauce but not much of a main meal.

Saying that, in a low optimisation group that role plays, I would have to swear to highlight how fantastic it can be.

Edit: Examples of creative uses for MoM (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156876)

Vemynal
2011-11-10, 07:52 PM
1 thing you could do - Take the Binder class and theme the vestiges as "Masks" your character can put on or take off.

Treblain
2011-11-10, 09:11 PM
Master of Masks is exactly what you want flavor-wise, but it's very weak. It's not hard to enter, so I would try to take a level or two to get masks, especially the incredibly fun Gladiator's Mask.

Chameleon is good in theory, but is not good in the way you want; it's not actually good at being a chameleon who can switch abilities; it's good because it gets access to many spells, and spells are good.

I second the suggestion of Binder. A level of Master of Masks would be fine, too.

Zaq
2011-11-10, 11:18 PM
I dunno, Master of Masks is weak, yes, but it's one of the only classes I can think of offhand that has the whole "switch what I am on a round-to-round basis" thing going for it. Binders, Chameleons, Totemists, and the like can totally reinvent themselves on a day-to-day level, but the Master of Masks has them totally beat on a round-by-round level, at least where swapping what you can do is concerned. The matter of how powerful those things you swap into are is another story, of course, but the Master of Masks is at least good at the tactical ability swap.

Big Fau
2011-11-10, 11:23 PM
I dunno, Master of Masks is weak, yes, but it's one of the only classes I can think of offhand that has the whole "switch what I am on a round-to-round basis" thing going for it. Binders, Chameleons, Totemists, and the like can totally reinvent themselves on a day-to-day level, but the Master of Masks has them totally beat on a round-by-round level, at least where swapping what you can do is concerned. The matter of how powerful those things you swap into are is another story, of course, but the Master of Masks is at least good at the tactical ability swap.

Totemist comes fairly close. While it's been some time, I do remember that Majora's Mask didn't require you to switch masks mid-combat (baring a few situations, like the FDM or against Twinmold). Totemist could work because you can reflavor the individual soulmelds to be masks.

Wait, that part sounds familiar... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219701) I wonder if that was the inspiration?