PDA

View Full Version : help the noob!

Drazik
2011-11-10, 09:05 PM
i keep hearing people reference something called exalted. what is it?

Traab
2011-11-10, 09:10 PM
Its a tabletop game like D&D. Apparently, you play characters that are basically gods or devils. Thats what ive picked up so far from the boards.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-10, 09:40 PM
Its a tabletop game like D&D. Apparently, you play characters that are basically gods or devils. Thats what ive picked up so far from the boards.

Actually, they're demigods. Sorta. The main type is the solars, which are mortal heroes who were granted immortality and got all their skills turned up to 11. Lunars are some shapeshifting nature weirdos. Dragonblooded are basically elemental benders from Avatar: TLA that think lunars and solars are all evil and kill them on sight. Sidereals are the guys who work behind the scenes, using powers to make it that they're not remembered by anybody except possibly the extraordinarily strong willed who are also lucky.

Traab
2011-11-10, 09:51 PM
Yeah my bad, I meant more god-like than actual gods. You wont be playing Odin, or Quetzalcoatl. I tossed in the devils part because I remembered that there were also evil races or whatever you want to class them as.

Drazik
2011-11-10, 09:53 PM
kool stuff, thanks guys

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-10, 10:01 PM
Yeah my bad, I meant more god-like than actual gods. You wont be playing Odin, or Quetzalcoatl. I tossed in the devils part because I remembered that there were also evil races or whatever you want to class them as.

Oh yeah, there are also abyssals, who are basically emos and, as another poster put it:

They have a charm to make music that can kill you. They have a charm to make an argument that can kill you. They have a charm to give you a look that can kill you. And we haven't even reached the actual killing charms yet :smalltongue:.
They also have stuff for undead.

Finally, there's infernals, who are like solars with slightly different powers and a lot more evil bent.

Tanuki Tales
2011-11-12, 06:42 PM
Oh yeah, there are also abyssals, who are basically emos and, as another poster put it:

They also have stuff for undead.

Finally, there's infernals, who are like solars with slightly different powers and a lot more evil bent.

The Elegant Nova of Progression would like a word with you for forgetting her flavor of Exalted. :smalltongue:

Cold, metal love from mother Autocthon is on the way for you now. :smallwink:

Yora
2011-11-12, 07:20 PM
There's also a "Book of Exalted Deeds" for D&D, that does not have anything to do with the RPG and is basically about super-good D&D characters.

It's usually shortened to BoED, though there might be a few threads in which Exalted Feats are mentioned, which refer to material of the D&D book, not the RPG.

Arbane
2011-11-12, 09:19 PM
This entry on 1d4Chan (http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Exalted) is actually a pretty good summary of Exalted.

Yuki Akuma
2011-11-13, 07:04 AM
Exalted are far more than mere gods.

Gods in the Exalted setting aren't really anything special - many are lesser than mortals, although generally those ones don't interact with people. Some of the ones who do can be beaten down by a significantly experienced Heroic Mortal, and the rest can be beaten down by a starting Solar or a middling Dragon-Blooded.

Except for the Incarna, who are the head honchos of the gods - and even then, lesser than a Solar with comparable Essence.

Then there are the Primordials, who created the gods, and embody facets of reality. Even they can be murdered by a big enough team of Exalts.

(Also I would like to object to the idea that Infernals are evil. Infernals are failures and are tempted to be evil, but they can be just as heroic as any Solar. Or even moreso, considering they don't suffer from the Great Curse*...)

*The Great Curse is a curse placed on the Exalted who helped kill the Primordials who would become the Neverborn the Solar, Lunar, Sidereal and Terrestrial (later Dragon-Blooded) Exalted. Abyssals and Infernals, as twisted Solars serving either the Neverborns or their sort-of allies the Yozis, have had their Curse removed, and the Alchemicals never had it to begin with. The Great Curse tends to make its targets go insane - Solars have it worst, and Terrestrials barely feel it at all.