PDA

View Full Version : PF Summoner Advice

Fayd
2011-11-10, 09:20 PM
Hello Playground!

I'm in a new Pathfinder campaign that promises to be rather lengthy... and we plan to hit epic level.

I've always wanted to play a Summoner, and I'm going to be doing so. I've read the Summoner handbook, I've got ideas of what I want to do. I think I have the base stuff down. My question: It has been said often that this game will probably hit Epic levels. As far as I am aware, Summoner's don't have an epic progression, so I need another base class or a prestige class to put on top.

Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm allowed pretty much free reign from Pathfinder and 3.5.

The character is a scholar at heart, so if that helps...

legomaster00156
2011-11-10, 09:30 PM
A scholar, you say? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/pathfinder-chronicler)

deuxhero
2011-11-10, 09:35 PM
Noooooo!

Don't EVER multiclass as a summoner.

legomaster00156
2011-11-10, 09:38 PM
Noooooo!

Don't EVER multiclass as a summoner.

Did you even read the original post? :smallconfused:

Curious
2011-11-10, 09:48 PM
The PF Core Rulebook actually provides rules for this kind of thing. All you do is continue progressing HD, BAB, and progressive class features (such as Evolution points for your Eidolon, and your eidolon itself). Your spells might also advance.

Fayd
2011-11-10, 10:03 PM
A scholar, you say? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/pathfinder-chronicler)

That does look interesting. I'll keep it in mind! Another tidbit: We're in the Forgotten Realms setting, so we have access to any stuff (Candlekeep and the Red Wizards) that are 'exclusive' to the setting.

grarrrg
2011-11-11, 11:24 AM
For 21+ progression, HD are easy, Bab/skills/feats are based on HD.
Armor Bonus increases every HD-gain-level when you DON'T get a feat (every other, ignoring multiples of 4 > no HD gain).
Str/Dex boosts are same as Armor levels.
Evo-Points are +1 A level with bonus point every (multiple of 5 add 4), so 4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29...
Your Max Attacks increases at the same rate/level as Evo-Points.
The Ability Score increase starts every 5 levels (5, 10, 15), but then does NOT get one at 20. Odd?

stack
2011-11-11, 11:47 AM
If you don't want to advance your eidolon (which seems like a bad choice for a vanilla summoner) you might look into the 3.5 malconvoker. Probably better with the master summoner archetype though. You could get more mileage out of your summons (already standard actions), assuming you are allowed to apply all the class abilities to the summon monster SLA.

Or make a summon monster X+ to continue your SLA progression to even higher CR summons. MWHAHAHAHA. Not RAW, but if you are epic, reason and balance are unlikely to be an issue.

Fayd
2011-11-12, 03:09 PM
I wasn't aware how the epic progression worked... thanks for that hint, I might just stick with that. The Eidolon is just as important as I am in combat, so...