PDA

View Full Version : Try and read the text in this image (it really was text)

enderlord99
2011-11-10, 10:07 PM
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/6843/hardread.gif

EDIT: Could a mod please move this to SMBG?

fizzybobnewt
2011-11-10, 10:35 PM
Looks like Braille. What happened to it?

Flame of Anor
2011-11-11, 12:36 AM
Do the colors mean something? Is it somehow related to Conway's Game of Life?

enderlord99
2011-11-11, 11:56 AM
I took a quote, translated it into a foreign language, changed the font to a symbol font (another example would be wingdings), and changed the horizontal spacing between the letters so they overlapped. Then I made the text color very pale so it was hard to make out. The red outline was from when I used the Windows Snipping Tool to change it to picture form so you couldn't just quote it.

fizzybobnewt
2011-11-11, 01:09 PM
Okay... How could anyone read it?

enderlord99
2011-11-11, 01:19 PM

I don't think they can...

...so I'll just provide a translation:

I have dwelt ever in realms apart from the visible world; spending my youth and adolescence in ancient and little-known books, and in roaming the fields and groves of the region near my ancestral home. I do not think that what I read in these books or saw in these fields and groves was exactly what other boys read and saw there; but of this I must say little, since detailed speech would but confirm those cruel slanders upon my intellect which I sometimes overhear from the whispers of the stealthy attendants around me.

Dr.Epic
2011-11-11, 01:47 PM
I took a quote, translated it into a foreign language, changed the font to a symbol font (another example would be wingdings), and changed the horizontal spacing between the letters so they overlapped. Then I made the text color very pale so it was hard to make out. The red outline was from when I used the Windows Snipping Tool to change it to picture form so you couldn't just quote it.

Why not just type use black text on a black background in that case? I'm sure it would take a lot less time to make, and would be just as impossible to read.

enderlord99
2011-11-11, 02:54 PM
Why not just type use black text on a black background in that case? I'm sure it would take a lot less time to make, and would be just as impossible to read.

Because I wanted it to look like text, just not necessarily the text it originally was.

EDIT: The language was Albanian, and the font was Wingdings3.

Flame of Anor
2011-11-11, 03:18 PM

No, I think it's harder to read in the form Pokemon-freak posted. If it were black on black, at least we wouldn't waste time futilely trying to figure it out. :smallamused:

druid91
2011-11-11, 03:19 PM

...so I'll just provide a translation:

I have dwelt ever in realms apart from the visible world; spending my youth and adolescence in ancient and little-known books, and in roaming the fields and groves of the region near my ancestral home. I do not think that what I read in these books or saw in these fields and groves was exactly what other boys read and saw there; but of this I must say little, since detailed speech would but confirm those cruel slanders upon my intellect which I sometimes overhear from the whispers of the stealthy attendants around me.

I love that story... The Tomb isn't it? Lovecraft?

Or was it the Crypt...

enderlord99
2011-11-11, 03:31 PM
I love that story... The Tomb isn't it? Lovecraft?

Or was it the Crypt...

I know it's by H. P. Lovecraft, but I have no idea which story it's from.

Suicidal Charge
2011-11-11, 04:34 PM
It's from The Tomb (http://quotations.amk.ca/hp-lovecraft/).

DeadManSleeping
2011-11-11, 05:20 PM
Even knowing the translated language and the font, I'm pretty sure the plaintext is practically (if not completely) irrevocable, in part because I'm guessing you used translation software, which is notoriously, well, bad. That makes this kind of a bad cipher.

enderlord99
2011-11-11, 05:40 PM
Even knowing the translated language and the font, I'm pretty sure the plaintext is practically (if not completely) irrevocable, in part because I'm guessing you used translation software, which is notoriously, well, bad. That makes this kind of a bad cipher.

Yeah, and Google Translate is one of the worst, so... I ****ed it up.:smallredface:

Mauve Shirt
2011-11-11, 05:55 PM
Try and read the text beneath this sentence!

:smalltongue:

enderlord99
2011-11-11, 05:59 PM
:'smalltongue::

Except, without the apostrophe.

Coidzor
2011-11-11, 06:33 PM
...I notice no one has asked the most important question.

So I'll ask it.

Why?

enderlord99
2011-11-11, 06:40 PM
...I notice no one has asked the most important question.

So I'll ask it.

Why?

...No T.V. and no beer make Homer Simpson... something... something...

:smallcool:

Coidzor
2011-11-11, 07:01 PM
...No T.V. and no beer make Homer Simpson... something... something...

:smallcool:

But Terry Pratchett just had a new book come out. :smallwink:

enderlord99
2011-11-11, 07:43 PM
But Terry Pratchett just had a new book come out. :smallwink:

That was rude. After all, you didn't include the "Sir doctor professor" part.