PDA

View Full Version : Today is 11/11

Flame of Anor
2011-11-11, 01:01 AM
Today is a very important day...one which we should have had marked on our calendars for a long time. No, in fact, I don't mean Skyrim day; I mean something which happened 93 years ago.

You may call it Armistice Day, Remembrance Day, or Veterans' Day. But whichever it is, it deserves our respect.

(I hope it goes without saying, but don't make this political.)

For the Fallen

by Laurence Binyon

With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.

Solemn the drums thrill; Death august and royal
Sings sorrow up into immortal spheres,
There is music in the midst of desolation
And a glory that shines upon our tears.

They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England’s foam.

But where our desires are and our hopes profound,
Felt as a well-spring that is hidden from sight,
To the innermost heart of their own land they are known
As the stars are known to the Night;

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain;
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

Lord Raziere
2011-11-11, 01:29 AM
For those who fought in World War One and World War Two… including both my grandfathers for the second one if my memory is correct...

I salute you. *Salutes*

Ceric
2011-11-11, 01:37 AM
It's not quite Veteran's Day here, yet, but I'll change my avatar early.

Starwulf
2011-11-11, 01:50 AM
Please keep in mind that while Veterans day originally was meant for the World War 1, and then WW2 Veterans, it is also a day to honor ALL of our Military Veterans who have served in over-seas conflicts and wars.

To my Dad, Who served in Vietnam: I salute you Father!

Lady Moreta
2011-11-11, 02:48 AM
It hadn't actually dawned on me what the date was until I was on a bus in the city and saw men and women from various armed forces collecting donations and handing out the traditional poppies. So once I got off the bus, I promptly got myself one and wound it into the band around the fedora I was wearing. It's still there :smallsmile:

As it happens, the central city does a bugle call at 11am on three intersections all in a row. As one finishes, the next one starts, and I was lucky enough to be in the city at the time. It was very moving to see the people stop what they were doing, to see myself and the elderly man standing next to me both remove our hats and watch and listen the young navy bugler (who looked very nervous, poor thing) play and the two police officers saluting.

Had a conversation with the sales lady in the store I went in to afterwards and we talked about how good it was in society that we still honour them and still remember to the point of having these bugle calls.

Killer Angel
2011-11-11, 03:20 AM
To my grand-grandfather, that fough at Vittorio Veneto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vittorio_Veneto).
To my father's uncle, who fought the english at El Alamein.
To the uncle of my wife's father, medical officier, killed for reprisal at Cephalonia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cephalonia#World_War_II).
I salute You

And now, from Ungaretti, his famous short poem regarding the First World War: Soldati (soldiers):

Si sta come
d'autunno
sugli alberi
le foglie

(There we are
like leaves
on trees,
in Autumn)

Serpentine
2011-11-11, 03:23 AM
A solemn and dignified Remembrance Day to you all. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns82tHhJOr0)

If we're doing roll-call: my maternal grandfather served in World War 2, I think in Borneo. I don't think he talked about it, but we found some things from the time after my grandmother died, like clothes and stuff. Wish I knew what happened to it all...
My paternal grandfather was a padre in the Vietnam War. He had to leave the compound to preach and stuff, but he wasn't allowed off without a gun. He never had any intention of using it, though, so it was never loaded.

llamamushroom
2011-11-11, 03:26 AM
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

We will remember them.

For my father, my papa, and his brothers.

GolemsVoice
2011-11-11, 03:34 AM
I fear both my grandparents were on the "wrong" side of the conflict, but luckily, they survived. Here in Germany, nobody remembers the veterans of any wars, which is understandable, but also sad, in a way. My country still has many problems with the wars it fought and the wars it fights.

Serpentine
2011-11-11, 03:45 AM
I heard a story a few years ago about a couple of fighter pilots, on opposite sides of the war. Possibly Australian and German, but I really don't know. Anyway, they were both, iirc, quite well-known as great pilots. They met in the air and battled and eventually one shot the other down and assumed he'd killed him. But then, years and years later, they somehow managed to meet one-another in person. And, apparently, they got along fine - the one who shot the other down was quite glad he hadn't killed him, and the other didn't hold a grudge for him trying.
Similarly, my mum took our Japanese exchange student, Miki, to an ANZAC Day event. She went to introduce her to a veteran friend of hers, who was talking to someone else about "the Japs this" and "the Japs that", and "the Japs tried to do this to them but we killed them" and so on. Then he turned to Miki and shook her hand, and asked where she was from, and when she said Japan he said "Oh really? And what is it like there?" (or something equally normal and friendly).
So yeah. Interesting how these things fade away, eh?

Eldan
2011-11-11, 05:05 AM
Huh. Wow.

I must admit, I had no idea. ARound here, it's just St. Martin's day. People in masks, throwing candy at kids, parades, amateur brass bands in the streets, that kind of thing. No mention at all, anywhere I can see, of the wars.

We do seem a bit tasteless as a nation, no?

The Succubus
2011-11-11, 05:11 AM
@GV

The important bit is not just to remember what happened in the past, but also to remind you of the guys and gals of the Armed Forces (or equivalent) who are still fighting overseas *today*.

We remember, and we say thank you. o7

Heliomance
2011-11-11, 05:35 AM
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

We will remember them. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4NtSqZcT_4)

EmeraldRose
2011-11-11, 06:17 AM
Thank you to all the Veterans in my life. My family and ancestors- you have made me who I am. My husband- you show me every day why I am so proud of you and love you with everything I am! My friends- you are people I am proud to know. My co-workers- it gives me joy to work with all of you.

The Veterans who have served and the Active Duty Military serving in Armed Forces around the world- Thank You for who you are and all that you do!

factotum
2011-11-11, 07:39 AM
But then, years and years later, they somehow managed to meet one-another in person. And, apparently, they got along fine - the one who shot the other down was quite glad he hadn't killed him, and the other didn't hold a grudge for him trying.

I think that would be the attitude of most professional soldiers--they know that their job is to kill the enemy, and the enemy soldier's job is to kill them; what's the point of holding a grudge against the guy for trying to do to you what you were trying to do to him?

Condolences to all those who lost their life in war...

The Succubus
2011-11-11, 07:55 AM
In the poppy fields
The blood of men soaks the ground
We will remember.

Mono Vertigo
2011-11-11, 08:25 AM
I don't know if anyone fought any of the World Wars in my family, or took part to any actual battle; I was never told of such stories, and the older men all have passed away since.
However, my grandmother was born during the last year of WWI. She's Polish and Jewish. She came here, in Belgium, during WWII, to hide, and never turned back. Her family didn't follow, and still today, she watches documentaries to check if she can recognize anyone, not knowing what exactly was their fate (though we all have a pretty horrible but realistic idea).
When my father was born in 1947, she gave him an American first name to celebrate the soldiers from the USA.

Thanks for those who made it possible for us to lead a relatively good and peaceful life, whether they had the motivation or were forced to make the sacrifice.
Sorry for those who didn't get to enjoy the result of that sacrifice.
Let us not forget.

Morph Bark
2011-11-11, 08:25 AM
It's not quite Veteran's Day here, yet, but I'll change my avatar early.

In Flanders' fields, where poppies grow...

Huh. Wow.

I must admit, I had no idea. ARound here, it's just St. Martin's day. People in masks, throwing candy at kids, parades, amateur brass bands in the streets, that kind of thing. No mention at all, anywhere I can see, of the wars.

Well, considering Switzerland was neutral in both World Wars, it's understandable. The Netherlands was neutral in WWI, but forced into war in WWII. Still, there were many here who supplied the Belgians as they fought bravely, even when only a fourth of their country was still unoccupied.

I have to say though, for WWI, I don't consider either side to have been really "wrong" (or rather, "right"). Many nations got pulled into the conflict simply because they were allied with another nation that got pulled into the conflict (which may also have been pulled into the conflict because of an ally).

Abrexa
2011-11-11, 08:37 AM
I think that would be the attitude of most professional soldiers--they know that their job is to kill the enemy, and the enemy soldier's job is to kill them; what's the point of holding a grudge against the guy for trying to do to you what you were trying to do to him?

If only. If only...

I don't know if there was ever a war worth fighting?

No, I'd say yours has twice the brains of others :smalltongue:

Mauve Shirt
2011-11-11, 08:38 AM
To both of my grandfathers, my aunt and my uncle who fought in the past
To my cousins and friends and coworkers who are fighting now
I salute you.

@Eldan Hey you're right, I need to go out and buy a goose. :smalltongue:

pendell
2011-11-11, 08:52 AM
:Salute:

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Maelstrom
2011-11-11, 08:53 AM

Not really, I mean to have a Veteran's day means you'd actually have to be engaged in a conflict, and in modern times you guys have managed to avoid that rather well (a good thing!)

Besides, St Martins day, being a feast holiday, is a good thing as well!

But yes, to my brothers and sisters in arms around the world, my thanks for the sacrifices large and small.

11/11/11 11:11

arguskos
2011-11-11, 09:13 AM
To my grandfather, who fought bravely in Vietnam, I thank you. I may not agree with the war itself, but you fought for your country, you suffered, and you still carry the scars of war with you today. Thank you, grandfather, thank you.

Winthur
2011-11-11, 09:36 AM
Independence Day for us here in Poland.

:Salute:

Morty
2011-11-11, 09:39 AM
We celebrate Independence Day today, since in 1918, Poland became independent again after over a hundred years and 11 of November is the symbolic date. So I remember all those who made it possible by whatever means.
@^ Ah bugger all, ninjas. Oh well.

Eldan
2011-11-11, 09:58 AM
Not really, I mean to have a Veteran's day means you'd actually have to be engaged in a conflict, and in modern times you guys have managed to avoid that rather well (a good thing!)

Besides, St Martins day, being a feast holiday, is a good thing as well!

But yes, to my brothers and sisters in arms around the world, my thanks for the sacrifices large and small.

11/11/11 11:11

Eh, we still had a few deaths and veterans, actually. But yes, compared with most other nations, we got off pretty well. Just a few bombings that landed on the wrong side of the border, for the most part. My Grandfather still loves telling Air Raid Siren stories.

banjo1985
2011-11-11, 10:27 AM
I heard a story a few years ago about a couple of fighter pilots, on opposite sides of the war. Possibly Australian and German, but I really don't know. Anyway, they were both, iirc, quite well-known as great pilots. They met in the air and battled and eventually one shot the other down and assumed he'd killed him. But then, years and years later, they somehow managed to meet one-another in person. And, apparently, they got along fine - the one who shot the other down was quite glad he hadn't killed him, and the other didn't hold a grudge for him trying.
Similarly, my mum took our Japanese exchange student, Miki, to an ANZAC Day event. She went to introduce her to a veteran friend of hers, who was talking to someone else about "the Japs this" and "the Japs that", and "the Japs tried to do this to them but we killed them" and so on. Then he turned to Miki and shook her hand, and asked where she was from, and when she said Japan he said "Oh really? And what is it like there?" (or something equally normal and friendly).
So yeah. Interesting how these things fade away, eh?

I've heard similar too. Especially in WWI, apparently when pilots from opposite sides saw each other in the air they'd wave, because planes were just seen as reconnaissance rather than any actual threat. Then they started to shout at each other, throwing things at each other, then some bright soul worked out how to mount a gun on the things and things went down hill from there. Wasn't there also a story about the two opposing sides coming out of the trenches on Christmas day to play football together or something? It sounds ridiculous but I swear I've heard about it.

Anyway, remembering all present and past service personnel today, and everyone else who lost their lives in conflict.

*salutes*

Valameer
2011-11-11, 10:31 AM
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

-----------

Still thinking of you today, Guido John, though I never in this life met you.

AngelSword
2011-11-11, 11:06 AM
To my brethren in arms.
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/8/28/04fe7c26-4e9e-4448-baa0-3aeeaff42f08.jpg

Cyborg Mage
2011-11-11, 11:17 AM
So, school remembrance ceremony today. The whole deal, too. Poppy wreaths, military cadets, minute's silence, everything.

Thankfully, none of my family that I know of actually died in the Wars, but my grandfather did serve in the Royal Navy during WW II. Post V-E Day, but it's the thought that counts.

To the memory of those who died in service of queen and country. God rest you merry, gentlemen. God rest you merry.

Kneenibble
2011-11-11, 01:10 PM
My grandfather, from England, and my grandmother, from here, were both part of the military and they met over there during World War 2. :smallsmile: Not all the stories are sad.

God rest the rest merry indeed.

Flame of Anor
2011-11-11, 03:21 PM
I don't know if there was ever a war worth fighting?

I'd venture to say there was never a war where both sides were justified, and quite a few where neither one was. If we discuss this much more, though, it might get political.

Tirian
2011-11-11, 03:41 PM
Wasn't there also a story about the two opposing sides coming out of the trenches on Christmas day to play football together or something? It sounds ridiculous but I swear I've heard about it.

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/truce.asp

Lateral
2011-11-11, 11:12 PM
As I type this, it's 11:11 on 11/11/11. Too bad by the time I post this, it'll be 11:12.

Edit: Oh, look. :smallfrown:

Amiel
2011-11-11, 11:17 PM
I wrote something about this once; a bit melodramatic though.

"Wars teach us not to love our enemies, but to hate our allies."
W.L George

"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."
Thomas Mann

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?"
Mahatma Gandhi

He lies there, a malnourished individual, gaunt cheekbones protruding, the beginnings of a rictus grin. The framed picture of his loved ones shattered under the boots of too many apathetic souls. He dearly clutches it still with whitened knuckles, tears streaming down his face. His one link to a happier life and time.

He raises skeletal fingers to the heavens, his rifle forgotten, useless. The brutality and senselessness of war all around him, bullets continue to fly mercifully through the air relentlessly seeking their targets, bombs continue to explode causing massive wounds in the earth. The screams of the dying, the silence of the dead.

The sky is overcast casting the day as shadowed and haunted, gray clouds laden with lightning and sullen moroseness loom overhead. It begins to rain. A single rose is flung by the wind from some distant garden. It lands on his face, he lowers his hand to hold it, gingerly cradling it.

In his mind's eye, he sees his wife, as beautiful and radiant as he left her. Smiling serenely. He sees his son, hale and all grown up, a protective arm around his mother and sister. An upstanding member of society. He never mentioned this, but he was so proud of him. He sees his daughter, as beautiful as her mother, the very image of an angel. He was so proud of her too.

There is a break in the storm clouds, a single lance of light streams from the heavens, beckoning softly, falling on his face. He can hear the glorious hymns and chorus of angels. He seems to be at peace though his body is in tremendous pain. He passes, another forgotten soul, another victim of tragic circumstances.

Who will tell them? that his son and daughter will be without a father and role model, and that his wife will be without a soul mate and companion? Who will tell them his mother and father of their son's tragic passing? That their only child is lost forever to them? Who will tell his friends of their beloved friend's passing, his voice never again raised in cheer or joke? Who will never support them unflinchingly faithfully and tease them mercifully?

Yes, who will tell them?

Lest we forget.

Timeless Error
2011-11-11, 11:22 PM
Thank you, veterans. *Salute*

EDIT:

As I type this, it's 11:11 on 11/11/11.

I don't think that counts. Unless you're in Bangkok, Hanoi, or Jakarta (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/), you wrote that post on 11:11 PM, which by military, 24-hour time (and it makes sense that we would use military time - for counting 1's - on a day like this) is actually 23:11.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-11-11, 11:33 PM
My grandfather on my dad's side was a truck mechanic in the Saskatoon Light Infantry, fighting in Sicily, Italy, and the Netherlands.
My grandmother on my dad's side was a CWAC: she was in the Canadian Women's Army Corps.
A couple of relatives on my mothers side were code-breakers in America.
My great-great-uncle on my mother's side was a medic in the early days after D-Day.
My great-uncle on my father's side was a rear gunner in an Avro Lancaster. He was killed in action.
My Great-great-grandfather on my mother's side was infantry in the trenches of WWI. He survived gas attacks, and after the war moved his family out of the Ukraine to Canada. Somehow he avoided getting put into concentration camps by joining the army.
My uncle, until he retired, worked in the Department of Defence.
One of my cousins is, as of this moment, in the Royal Canadian Army.
My sister is planning on having a military career, as an infantry officer.
A friend of mine is currently undergoing training at the Royal Military College to drive tanks.

Those are just the ones we know for sure. I'm sure I have relatives fighting on various sides of the War of 1812, and there's a family story of a family member who went to fight for the Union in the American Civil War. My family probably fought in the American Revolutionary War.

They sacrifice, not only for us, but for those we will never meet, and never know. Who THEY might never meet and never know.

lest we forget

Abrexa
2011-11-12, 07:55 AM
I'd venture to say there was never a war where both sides were justified, and quite a few where neither one was. If we discuss this much more, though, it might get political.

I have problems using more than one hand's fingers to name justified conflicts. But yes, it might be too political.

"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."
Thomas Mann

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?"
Mahatma Gandhi

Word.

Asta Kask
2011-11-12, 08:04 AM
"No man is so insane that he prefers war to peace. In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons."

Herodotus