PDA

View Full Version : Miniatures?

Silma
2011-11-11, 03:55 AM
Hey guys does anyone know where i can find d&d miniatures, apart from the new 4th edition pack. It costs me 10 euros for only 3 miniatures. The older pack, that again costed 10 euros, contained 8 miniatures, but they not longer make it.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-11-11, 04:33 AM
ebay is your best bet for old D&D miniatures, also I believe Paizo are going to be releasing some pathfinder miniatures in the near future.

Togath
2011-11-11, 04:58 AM
there are also warhammer minatures, if you'r willing to asemble and paint them they're the right scale for dnd, though most of them come in packages of 10-30 so they're better for monsters then PCs(though some of the hero figurines could work for some PCs)

BraveSirKevin
2011-11-14, 06:21 AM
There are also the DnD boardgames (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/9547/dungeons-and-dragons-adventure-system-board-games), they include a number of figures that were previously released in the Dungeons and Dragons Miniatures lines, but they're unpainted.

Also, a lot of Fantasy Flight Boardgames include suitable minis, most notably, Descent, but that's going to be hard to come by as most editions are out of print as they prepare for the release of their second edition.

I will second what Togarth said though, Warhammer Plastics are definitely a good way to go. The come as kits that can be assembled in a variety of ways and they're quite convertible and interchangeable. With a few of the sets and some creativity you could make pretty much whatever you need. I've converted Tieflings, Duergar, all manner of undead, Elves, Half Elves and even gnolls (though they involved a lot of green stuff). Currently, all of the PCs in my campaign were converted from Warhammer plastics with the exception of the dwarven cleric who I found a perfect figure for in the Reaper line.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-14, 06:44 AM
The wargame Warmachine & Hordes has some absolutely wonderful miniatures that would be perfect for D&D. Rather expensive though.

Eldan
2011-11-14, 06:56 AM
If you want to be really cheap and aren't turned off by the look:
Lego figurines are a reasonable approximation for humanoids, you can buy them dirt cheap online, and there's a staggering variety of clothing, heads, gear and weapons for them.

DoctorGlock
2011-11-14, 07:18 AM
Reaper Miniatures has a huge selections and fairly good prices, they make for good characters and humanoids. Rank and file mooks and huge monsters... well, those are slightly harder.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-14, 07:21 AM
For dinosaurs, wildlife, and even some dragons and giant arthropods, some plastic toys attached to appropriately sized bases would work.

Anxe
2011-11-14, 09:34 AM
If price is your concern I don't think you're going to find something cheaper than 3 euros per mini. I use Reaper minis myself and they cost about $5-8 (~3-6 euros) per mini.

Tyndmyr
2011-11-14, 12:13 PM
there are also warhammer minatures, if you'r willing to asemble and paint them they're the right scale for dnd, though most of them come in packages of 10-30 so they're better for monsters then PCs(though some of the hero figurines could work for some PCs)

I've done this...as well as ebaying things. Legos are also fantastic, though when we use them, we tend to go all legos.

None of these, however, are cheap.

TheThan
2011-11-14, 01:54 PM
I use a mix of dnd minis, warhammer, lord of the rings, warmachine, decent and whatever else i can get my grubby hands on.

the issue with buying dnd packs is that they are randomized, so if your looking for a group of similar monsters, that won't work. Which is a wonderful thing for warhammer. if you buy a box of 25 orc boyz, you will have 25 orcs to use. the hard part is getting a hold of specific types of monsters, carrion crawlers, oozes etc. for that there's reaper minis. (since the chances of needing more than two or three at a time is not likely)

Grod_The_Giant
2011-11-14, 05:34 PM
If you want to be really cheap and aren't turned off by the look:
Lego figurines are a reasonable approximation for humanoids, you can buy them dirt cheap online, and there's a staggering variety of clothing, heads, gear and weapons for them.

I love doing this. Of course, I'm a dirt-poor college student, and I usually just use appropriately-sized dowels with letters and numbers written on the top, or even just 1 inch pieces of cardboard. :smallredface:

Mando Knight
2011-11-14, 05:38 PM
None of these, however, are cheap.
In fact, drug dealers wish they were in the minis market (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrackIsCheaper). :smalltongue:

Lord Il Palazzo
2011-11-14, 05:50 PM
I love doing this. Of course, I'm a dirt-poor college student, and I usually just use appropriately-sized dowels with letters and numbers written on the top, or even just 1 inch pieces of cardboard. :smallredface:If you're really broke (or just cheap) you can do what I do and use Scrabble (or Bananagrams, or whatever) tiles. You get 27 easily distinguishable miniatures (26 letters and the blank/back of other tiles) for about 12 bucks (not to mention the fact that you get a perfectly good board game too.) If you're really looking to save money, you can also use the Scrabble board as your battle grid.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-14, 06:24 PM
If you are going to use scrabble tiles, be sure to include a scroll of genocide (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/GuestStrips.html).:smalltongue:

nedz
2011-11-15, 06:09 PM
Where to buy figures:

Your local games store
Conventions
Websites, all of the figure manufacturers have them. Google has a list of them somewhere
Ebay
The only trouble with buying online is that you're never quite sure what your going to get, much better to have a look at them in a shop IMHO.

Or you could buy a random assortment in a sealed box ? I'm not sure why you would do that personally, but hey - it is an option

Silma
2011-11-15, 08:07 PM
Where to buy figures:

Your local games store
The only minis they have is the new 4e pack which includes 3 minis (which you can see through the box-which is good) and costs 10 euros. Way too expensive. The old pack had 8 (random) minis at the same price.

Conventions
None happening where I live.

Websites, all of the figure manufacturers have them. Google has a list of them somewhere
I'll check it out

Ebay
The only trouble with buying online is that you're never quite sure what your going to get, much better to have a look at them in a shop IMHO.

Yeah, but still, most minis cost like 3 euros because of the billing order.

Or you could buy a random assortment in a sealed box ? I'm not sure why you would do that personally, but hey - it is an option

That's what I used to do, but they no longer make this pack. I find it quite interesting that I don't know what I'm getting before I open the pack. Besides, I already have enough minis to run my game (and when I don't I use anything that covers all the squares I want it to). I just like to collect them.

Also, warhammer minis might be a good idea. I'm quite short on groups of same monsters. A few orcs would sure come in handy.

The Boz
2011-11-15, 08:29 PM
If you're gaming, chances are you know someone who plays Warhammer Fantasy Battles. Get together with that crowd, buy some minis for cheap. If you need to paint them, you will like it.

nedz
2011-11-16, 03:35 PM
This (http://theminiaturespage.com/oldlib/fan/25mm.html) might help.

Ravens_cry
2011-11-16, 05:15 PM
If you're gaming, chances are you know someone who plays Warhammer Fantasy Battles. Get together with that crowd, buy some minis for cheap. If you need to paint them, you will like it.
I remember a campaign like that.
We fought so many dwarves in that campaign . . .

nedz
2011-11-16, 06:02 PM
You can often buy 2nd hand fantasy armies at wargames conventions. You may need to re-base them individually and they will all be of a similar type.

Togath
2011-11-16, 07:36 PM
Another benefit of plastic wargaming models is that they are fairly easy to customize or alter(either cutting away parts, or adding parts with something such as greenstuff(yes, there really is something with that name)

Ravens_cry
2011-11-16, 11:01 PM
For those who are curious, it is a two part epoxy that you can mould and shape for quite a while before it hardens, one part blue, one part yellow.
No points for guessing the final colour.

nedz
2011-11-17, 04:16 PM
For those who are curious, it is a two part epoxy that you can mould and shape for quite a while before it hardens, one part blue, one part yellow.
No points for guessing the final colour.

Milliput is another alternative