PDA

View Full Version : Mage's Faithful Hound

Lighturtle
2011-11-11, 09:41 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magesFaithfulHound.htm

Isn't this spell grossly overpowered?

What prevents a wizard from stacking dozens of hounds/metamagicked hounds into a hallway and instagib anything passing by?

It seems to be only destructible by divination. The barking? You can get around that by placing the pile o' dogs around a corner, or using zone of silence.

Only vulnerability I can see is the mage must stay near the pile.

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-11, 09:47 AM
Not really, it's what I call situationally powerful and is pretty much what spells should be.

If the players plan right they can use it to gain a significant advantage but most of the time it's nothing special. And even with proper planning it's unlikely to really mess with power levels.

BlackestOfMages
2011-11-11, 11:57 AM
overpowered? almost useless is a lot closer to the truth

it costs a 5th level spell slot and only does 2d6 + 3 damage, if it hits, and when it picks someone up, it starts to fade very quickly, and it's range is pathetic...

or you couldfly more than 30ft of the ground when your invading. it comes in at 9th level minimum, everything other than the dog flies. all it does is really stop a few non-threatening things invading, and by that level you already have beter tools for that by far.

Elboxo
2011-11-12, 06:11 PM
This spell kinda reminds me of various suspicious houses in movies that have something chasing and attacking the (Commoner) Protagonists around the place