PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Question

Anxe
2011-11-11, 11:28 AM
I know a little Spanish, but my boss keeps saying a phrase that I can't understand. She always says it when I say something that she can't understand (I'm mumbling or in the other room. Her English is fine), or when she picks up the phone (Like Dime). What she says sounds like munde' to me.

So anyone know what munde' means in Spanish or a phrase that looks a lot like that?

Haruki-kun
2011-11-11, 01:23 PM
"Mande". It's used to say "Excuse me?" when you didn't hear or understand, or to say "Yes, what is it?" when someone calls your name.

enderlord99
2011-11-11, 01:27 PM
Wait... Solomon Grunday was born in Mexico on an "Excuse me"? Wtf?:smalltongue:

Orzel
2011-11-11, 01:48 PM
¿Mande? is a way some speakers say "Pardon?", "Can you repeat that, please." or "What would/do you like/want?". Politer than ¿Que? for "what?"... I think.

bluewind95
2011-11-11, 04:09 PM
"Mande" is also used to answer a polite "What?" when someone is calling you. Because if you use the actual translation of "what?" ("Que?") to answer when someone's calling you, it's considered rude.

Asta Kask
2011-11-13, 03:43 AM
But Manuel does it all the time!

Flame of Anor
2011-11-13, 05:03 AM

Well, he's from Bahhcelooona.

Haruki-kun
2011-11-13, 01:41 PM

He does, indeed, but it's a different issue. If he was among fellow Spanish speakers, they would probably think he's being quite rude for answering "que". He could say "que cosa" (lit. "What thing?", meaning "What is it?") Or "que paso" (lit. "What happened?").

EDIT: A little like English, actually. It sounds a little more polite to say "Yes, what is it?" Than just a plain "What?" Add to that the appropriate tone.

Flame of Anor
2011-11-13, 05:25 PM
He does, indeed, but it's a different issue. If he was among fellow Spanish speakers, they would probably think he's being quite rude for answering "que". He could say "que cosa" (lit. "What thing?", meaning "What is it?") Or "que paso" (lit. "What happened?").

EDIT: A little like English, actually. It sounds a little more polite to say "Yes, what is it?" Than just a plain "What?" Add to that the appropriate tone.

Also remember that Manuel is a neurotic simpleton.

Fostire
2011-11-13, 06:38 PM
"Mande". It's used to say "Excuse me?" when you didn't hear or understand, or to say "Yes, what is it?" when someone calls your name.
Never heard that in my life. And I've lived in a Spanish speaking country for most of my life.

Anxe
2011-11-13, 08:09 PM
Looks like I'd interpreted the meaning right, but the spelling wrong. I didn't know that just saying "?que?" was rude, but it makes sense. The mande thing is probably only used in some countries, not all of them.

Thanks everybody!

Lord Seth
2011-11-13, 10:09 PM
Never heard that in my life. And I've lived in a Spanish speaking country for most of my life.Might be one of those things where it's used in some (or one) Spanish country and not really the others. Spanish can vary quite a bit in terms of terminology from country to country.

Asta Kask
2011-11-14, 01:22 PM
Also remember that Manuel is a neurotic simpleton.

I'm not so sure about that. Remember, he has managed to escape from a brutal dictatorship and has made himself a new life in a radically different country. Yes, he doesn't speak the language very well, but how much training has he had?

Respect for Manuel!

dehro
2011-11-14, 02:28 PM
I keep reading this as the "spanish inquisition"

how unexpected is that? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSe38dzJYkY)

Flame of Anor
2011-11-14, 11:50 PM
Yes, he doesn't speak the language very well, but how much training has he had?

He speeks Eenglish...vairy well! He learned eet...from a boook!

Respect for Manuel!

Of course! :smallsmile:

Castaras
2011-11-15, 09:44 AM
He speeks Eenglish...vairy well! He learned eet...from a boook!

Que ?

Flame of Anor
2011-11-15, 09:36 PM
Que ?

http://www.martian.fm/manuel_moose.jpg