PDA

View Full Version : From two Handed....

Loki Eremes
2011-11-11, 08:55 PM
Hi there playgrounders, long time no see

Do You know...
Any feat or item that allows to wield a two-handed weapon with one hand??? :smallconfused:

bebosteveo
2011-11-11, 08:59 PM
Assuming dnd 3.5

Monkey grip (feat) does exactly this. Technically, it lets you use weapons of one size category larger, but a two-handed weapon is a one-handed weapon for a large creature.

Loki Eremes
2011-11-11, 09:01 PM
this leads me to another question:
Does larger weapons give REACH?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-11, 09:04 PM
Assuming dnd 3.5

Monkey grip (feat) does exactly this. Technically, it lets you use weapons of one size category larger, but a two-handed weapon is a one-handed weapon for a large creature.
It doesn't let you use two-handed medium weapons, only one-handed large weapons. :smallannoyed: No longspear and shield.

this leads me to another question:
Does larger weapons give REACH?

No.

In general, spending a feat slot and taking a -2 to attack rolls isn't worth +1-+2 to damage.

Loki Eremes
2011-11-11, 09:30 PM
It doesn't let you use two-handed medium weapons, only one-handed large weapons. :smallannoyed: No longspear and shield.

No.

In general, spending a feat slot and taking a -2 to attack rolls isn't worth +1-+2 to damage.

But....my question was if there is any FEAT or ITEM that allowed me two wield TWO-HANDED weapon (like a two-handed spear) with ONE HAND. :smallconfused:

Qwertystop
2011-11-11, 09:34 PM
No need for the random capitalization of words.

As you should have been able to see if you read the posts, one person says that Monkey Grip allows it, another person says it doesn't. Not knowing where it's from, I don't have much of an idea whether there is an objective answer.

thubby
2011-11-11, 09:55 PM
monkey grip will allow you to use a 2 handed weapon in 1 hand. a long spear would still give you reach.

if you mean wielding weapons that are larger than your character should be able to use at all, they get weird with reach. no matter how much bigger your great sword gets, it's still 5 foot reach.
reach weapons double the reach of a creature of the intended size. so a large long spear gives +10ft reach (ie, you hit at 15ft), with a 10ft dead zone.

kaomera
2011-11-11, 09:59 PM
The 3.5 version of Monkey Grip is in Complete Warrior. I don't have access to that book anymore; doing a quick search turned up a version (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Monkey_Grip_%283.5e_Feat%29) online, that includes wording to the effect that two-handed weapons are ''considered a size category larger'', but IIRC that should not actually be correct, and I can't be sure that's the official version anyway. If it is the official version, or if you're willing to go with that, then you're set. But I'm not aware of any other way of accomp0lishing what you want.

Jeraa
2011-11-11, 10:06 PM
THe Complete Warrior Monkey Grip:

You can use melee weapons one size category larger than you are with a –2 penalty on the attack roll, but the amount of effort it takes you to use the weapon does not change. For instance, a Large longsword (a one-handed weapon for a Large creature) is considered a two-handed weapon for a Medium creature that does not have this feat. For a Medium creature that has this feat, it is still considered a one-handed weapon. You can wield a larger light weapon as a light weapon, or a larger two-handed weapon in two hands. You cannot wield a larger weapon in your off hand, and you cannot use this feat with a double weapon.

CW Monkey Grip does not let you wield a two handed weapon in one hand. It just lets you wield a weapon designed for a creature one size larger then you without changing its handedness. Normally, you can't wield large 2 handed weapons, but with this feat you could. Its useless when dealing with weapons your your size category, however.

Loki Eremes
2011-11-11, 10:14 PM
No need for the random capitalization of words.

As you should have been able to see if you read the posts, one person says that Monkey Grip allows it, another person says it doesn't. Not knowing where it's from, I don't have much of an idea whether there is an objective answer.

Sry, but they were not random, I emphatized the words of my first question (feat, item, two handed, one hand)

and yeah, Monkey grip does not allow what im trying to do.
please: LEAVE SIZE ASIDE from the topic.

Focus xD: what im trying to do is take a two handed sword (for example) in one hand.
-Is that possible somehow?
-do I take penalties for doing that or i can't do it at all?
-Is there any item or feat that will allow me to do this or at least lighten up the penalties?

thubby
2011-11-11, 10:19 PM
CW Monkey Grip does not let you wield a two handed weapon in one hand. It just lets you wield a weapon designed for a creature one size larger then you without changing its handedness. Normally, you can't wield large 2 handed weapons, but with this feat you could. Its useless when dealing with weapons your your size category, however.

there's no difference. a large creature's long sword is a medium creature's greatsword.

thubby
2011-11-11, 10:20 PM

there's no difference. a large creature's long sword is a medium creature's greatsword.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-11, 10:22 PM

No it's not. Medium creatures take a -2 penalty with a large longsword, and large creatures take a -2 penalty with a medium greatsword.

Qwertystop
2011-11-11, 10:33 PM
Fine, go for it the other way. If your goal is to gain Reach (as you implied above), use a Small creature's reach weapon in one hand as a Medium creature. Just make sure you don't use one that counts as another weapon when weilded by an unintended size. For example, use a Small Guisarme as a Medium creature to get 5 feet of extra Reach. Longspears wouldn't work for this because they count as shortspears (or normal spears, not sure which) when used by a character one size larger.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-11, 10:36 PM
Longspears wouldn't work for this because they count as shortspears (or normal spears, not sure which) when used by a character one size larger.

That's a variant.

Loki Eremes
2011-11-11, 10:52 PM
Fine, go for it the other way. If your goal is to gain Reach (as you implied above), use a Small creature's reach weapon in one hand as a Medium creature. Just make sure you don't use one that counts as another weapon when weilded by an unintended size. For example, use a Small Guisarme as a Medium creature to get 5 feet of extra Reach. Longspears wouldn't work for this because they count as shortspears (or normal spears, not sure which) when used by a character one size larger.

that goes for a good lol over there.
So a two-handed SMALL guisarme, has a reach of 10ft
when a two-handed LARGE guisarme, has...still the same reach xD

But...
a small two-handed guisarme on a Medium creature can be wielded in one hand???

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-11, 10:55 PM
Okay. Monkey grip, in the current rules, do not let you wield two handed weapons one handed. There is a set of optional, variant houserules that does weapon equivalencies, and as such let you wield smaller weapons with different sorts of handedness. This is an optional set of rules; by default, a medium character wielding a small longspear can only wield it in two hands, has reach, and takes a -2 to hit.

Why not look at this a different way: what precisely do you want to do with the weapon, on a broad conceptual level? Maybe that can help?

Qwertystop
2011-11-11, 11:17 PM
that goes for a good lol over there.
So a two-handed SMALL guisarme, has a reach of 10ft
when a two-handed LARGE guisarme, has...still the same reach xD

But...
a small two-handed guisarme on a Medium creature can be wielded in one hand???

Not quite.
A two-handed Small guisarme has a reach of 10 feet, even when wielded by a Medium or Large creature (In the case of Large, I'd say it acts as +5 feet reach, based on the wording of the rules on reach weapons).
A two-handed Large guisarme has a reach of 15 feet (doubles the natural reach of 10 feet means that it adds 10 feet, plus the 5 feet of a Medium creature), on a Medium creature (who would need Monkey Grip to use it).

Your third point is correct.

A weapon changes in handedness (Light, One-handed, Two-handed) by one handedness category down per category larger of the wielder (as compared to the intended wielder), and one handedness category up per size category larger. There is a variant rule that allows a weapon of the wrong size to be used without a penalty if used as a similar weapon (like using a Large longsword as a Medium greatsword).

Keep in mind, however, that there's a stacking -2 penalty on attack rolls for each size category of difference, if the above variant is not in use or if the weapon has no equivalent.

Loki Eremes
2011-11-11, 11:19 PM
Okay. Monkey grip, in the current rules, do not let you wield two handed weapons one handed. There is a set of optional, variant houserules that does weapon equivalencies, and as such let you wield smaller weapons with different sorts of handedness. This is an optional set of rules; by default, a medium character wielding a small longspear can only wield it in two hands, has reach, and takes a -2 to hit.

Why not look at this a different way: what precisely do you want to do with the weapon, on a broad conceptual level? Maybe that can help?

We already discarded Monkey Grip.

I just got curious about being able to hold a two-handed weapon in each hand.
Almost all reach weapons are two-handed ones (as far as the ones I know)

EDITED:
But, i have to ask again or i feel this doubt will never be answered:
- a small two-handed guisarme on a Medium creature can be wielded in one hand???

Soooooooooo, im getting a bit dizzy over here.......

Call my crazy, but...for that i understood that i can use a small guisarme one handed and hit targets 10ft away.
But then you said that that is incorrect??? What the....

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-11, 11:22 PM
Not quite.
A two-handed Small guisarme has a reach of 10 feet, even when wielded by a Medium or Large creature (In the case of Large, I'd say it acts as +5 feet reach, based on the wording of the rules on reach weapons).
A two-handed Large guisarme has a reach of 15 feet (doubles the natural reach of 10 feet means that it adds 10 feet, plus the 5 feet of a Medium creature), on a Medium creature (who would need Monkey Grip to use it).

It doesn't add 10 feet to reach. It just doubles it. And there's no rule saying one-handed weapons can't have reach, look at kusari-gamas in the DMG.

Sploosh
2011-11-12, 12:02 AM
Spinning swords are another fun ONE HANDED MEDIUIM REACH WEAPON. You'd have to snag a feat on them since they are exotic but they accomplish REACH without needing a LARGE TWO HANDED WEAPON in ONE HAND to do so. It's also less silly.

Though that doesnt really help you if your real goal requires that TWO HANDED WEAPON in ONE HAND.

Loki Eremes
2011-11-12, 12:15 AM
Spinning swords are another fun ONE HANDED MEDIUIM REACH WEAPON. You'd have to snag a feat on them since they are exotic but they accomplish REACH without needing a LARGE TWO HANDED WEAPON in ONE HAND to do so. It's also less silly.

Though that doesnt really help you if your real goal requires that TWO HANDED WEAPON in ONE HAND.

mmmmmmmmmmm, sounds good.
Where are they from? :smallbiggrin:

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-12, 12:27 AM
Okay. So you want to simultaneously be wielding two reach weapons, correct?

That is your goal?

What do you wish to accomplish while wielding two reach weapons? Do you have something in particular in mind?

Quietus
2011-11-12, 07:19 AM
On reach : Weapons do not change anything about reach based on size. Each weapon is classed either as a "reach weapon", or not. It doesn't matter what size you are, or what size the weapon you're wielding is, if it's a reach weapon it doubles your reach, period.

So yes, you could dual wield two-handed reach weapons sized for a small creature, by taking a -2 penalty to attack rolls for inappropriately sized weapons.

Spinning sword : A two second google search tells me it's from Secrets of Sarlona.

DogbertLinc
2011-11-12, 11:32 AM
The Diopsid from Dragon Compendium have an extra set of arms that let them wield two handed weapons in one (primary) hand, thanks to the extra set. They're LA+1.

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-12, 03:41 PM
So yes, you could dual wield two-handed reach weapons sized for a small creature, by taking a -2 penalty to attack rolls for inappropriately sized weapons.

No, you can't! You can only do that if an optional house rule is in play, and then, they do not function as reach weapons for you... Like a small longspear's weapon equivalency would be a shortspear or something. I forget which book has the chart for those *optional rules*.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-12, 03:45 PM
No, you can't! You can only do that if an optional house rule is in play, and then, they do not function as reach weapons for you...

What optional rule? There's no rule against one-handed or light weapons with reach, and 3.5 kusari-gama and spinning sword support my claim.

Gavinfoxx
2011-11-12, 04:04 PM
I suppose you could wield two Whip-Daggers...

And the optional rule I was talking about was weapon equivalencies... like a Small Longsword is the same as a medium short sword or something like that.

Anyway, Kusari-Gama has a long and storied history of weird rules in D&D. There's the 3.0 version. The 3.0 errata version. The Oriental Adventures version. I think it might have been updated or changed in Dragon Magazine 318. There's the DMG version. There's also the fact that, if you LOOK at one of the things, it's a freaking two handed weapon... look one up, you can't wield it in one hand... You hold the sickle in one hand and the chain in other and twirl the ball.

Qwertystop
2011-11-12, 04:06 PM
No, you can't! You can only do that if an optional house rule is in play, and then, they do not function as reach weapons for you... Like a small longspear's weapon equivalency would be a shortspear or something. I forget which book has the chart for those *optional rules*.

The optional rule allows you to ignore the weapon penalty but use it as a different type of weapon.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-12, 04:07 PM
I suppose you could wield two Whip-Daggers...

And the optional rule I was talking about was weapon equivalencies... like a Small Longsword is the same as a medium short sword or something like that.

I know that. But why do you need the optional rule that then negates it entirely?

Whips, whip-daggers, DMG kusari-gamas, spinning swords, all can be wielded in one hand. Reach weapons don't lose reach when used in one hand.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-11-13, 07:59 AM
Exotic weapon proficiency with a bastard sword technically answers your question, but given what else you've said in the thread it doesn't actually answer it.

Loki Eremes
2011-11-13, 10:54 AM
Exotic weapon proficiency with a bastard sword technically answers your question, but given what else you've said in the thread it doesn't actually answer it.

Its a good example of a from two-hand to one-hand. Shame its the Bastard sword rule.

But well, to settle this: There is no possible normal way of wielding a two-handed wepon with one hand.
(besides from the legal hole that is sizes categories i think)

Chilingsworth
2011-11-13, 12:39 PM
Umm... shouldn't this be in the 3.5 forum? :smallconfused: