PDA

View Full Version : Intentional gag?

Pianonab338
2011-11-11, 10:25 PM
Someone's probably noticed it before, but I didn't know if it's come up before: did anyone else see how Roy's eyes are...different?

If you look at even the latest comic, number 815, and ones dating back to Miko's entrance (and probably further, but I didn't look back any more, since that's where I noticed), his 'tall' eye is the one closest to the direction he's looking in: if he's looking right, the tall eye is on the right side, while the shorter, fwtter one is on the left. However, with all other characters (see the last comic - Tarquin, the kobold, Belkar, Ian, etc) all have 'normal' eyes, with the tall eye being closer to the middle of the circle that is their head.

The MID is a good example of how the eyes 'should' be.

Thanks ahead for amswering.

Mutant Sheep
2011-11-11, 10:34 PM
Someone's probably noticed it before, but I didn't know if it's come up before: did anyone else see how Roy's eyes are...different?

If you look at even the latest comic, number 815...
Thanks ahead for amswering.

You saw comic 815? Where??? I wanna see it!:biggrin:

I think it is just how Roy is specially aware of his "larger boot" and other perception jokes, so he gets to have awesome eyes and stuff.

Pianonab338
2011-11-11, 10:40 PM
Sorry, meant 814 :smallwink:

Sorry to get you excited.

Darakonis
2011-11-11, 10:40 PM
It's a serious medical problem; don't laugh at him :(

Goosefarble
2011-11-11, 10:41 PM
Huh, wow. I'd never noticed that before! Maybe that's the reason he gets confused with his boots - he can't use his eyes for a point of reference.

John Cribati
2011-11-11, 10:45 PM
This was explained somewhere. IIRC, Rich just goofed when he was making Roy's base template. Note that Thog and a bunch of the Nameless Azure City warriors have the eyes reversed as well.

Goosefarble
2011-11-11, 11:43 PM
Ah. Well, explains it then. Makes for a minor interesting trivia point about the comic I guess.

Boogastreehouse
2011-11-12, 02:59 AM
This was explained somewhere. IIRC, Rich just goofed when he was making Roy's base template. Note that Thog and a bunch of the Nameless Azure City warriors have the eyes reversed as well.

Well, Roy's assertions aside, Thog is Roy's counterpart...

irenicObserver
2011-11-12, 03:07 AM
Yes someone noticed it before. There was a thread about it a few years ago.

Kobold-Bard
2011-11-12, 03:21 AM
Someone's probably noticed it before ...

Someone has always noticed it before.

ALWAYS :smalltongue:

irenicObserver
2011-11-12, 10:46 PM
Also, how would mismatched eyes be a gag?

veti
2011-11-13, 05:36 PM
If you check the archives, you'll find it's a family trait. Eugene, Horace and Eric all share it.

Not Julia, though. So either it's male-linked, or just possibly Julia isn't Eugene's daughter. (Which would be a nice twist for him to learn at some point...)

Bulldog Psion
2011-11-14, 12:06 AM
If you check the archives, you'll find it's a family trait. Eugene, Horace and Eric all share it.

Not Julia, though. So either it's male-linked, or just possibly Julia isn't Eugene's daughter. (Which would be a nice twist for him to learn at some point...)

Or, it's neither male-linked nor a family trait, but a sign that the same "model" was used for all the males in the family with a few individual details added in, and the females, being female, use a different head image.

In short, I think it's an art mistake that's duplicated because of the medium of a stick figure comic (same image used for multiple characters, including Thog and a sprinkling of random guards) rather than any kind of deep statement about the characters' connection to each other.

Gift Jeraff
2011-11-14, 12:33 AM
Yeah, you'll notice characters with it tend to be square-bodied like Roy (most male characters have a body like Elan's). Interestingly, it's been consistently that way for kobolds from day one (whereas it was inconsistent for Roy for a while), except the tiny one here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0717.html). Again, likely because that kobold uses a different base model.

Hilgya also suffers this eye condition most of the time, though if she ever reappears I suspect it'll be cured because it's normal in DStP's recap.

Forikroder
2011-11-14, 12:50 AM

1nb4 20 page thread discussing whos julias father actually is based on eyes

veti
2011-11-14, 05:00 PM
Or, it's neither male-linked nor a family trait, but a sign that the same "model" was used for all the males in the family with a few individual details added in, and the females, being female, use a different head image.

That's just another way of saying it's a male-linked family trait. If the Giant decided to use the same template for all Greenhilt menfolk's heads, then - just because the medium of transmission is artistic rather than genetic, doesn't make it any less 'family'.

Nimrod's Son
2011-11-15, 04:59 AM
That's just another way of saying it's a male-linked family trait. If the Giant decided to use the same template for all Greenhilt menfolk's heads, then - just because the medium of transmission is artistic rather than genetic, doesn't make it any less 'family'.
Only if it also makes Thog "family". :smallwink:

hewhosaysfish
2011-11-15, 07:27 AM

Let the wild speculation commence!

So while he was a young adventurer, Eugene Greenhilt met this beautiful Orc lady...

Bulldog Psion
2011-11-15, 07:31 AM

So while he was a young adventurer, Eugene Greenhilt met this beautiful Orc lady...

... and a couple of dozen young ladies in Azure City whose children were all destined to join the military ... :smallwink:

Raistlin82
2011-11-16, 10:56 AM

Interesting.

What about Therkla? Does she have reversed eyes? :smalltongue:

veti
2011-11-16, 05:21 PM

Look: if you have red hair, and your father has red hair, and your son has red hair, then red hair is a family trait.

The fact that several million other people, who aren't (known to be) directly related to you, also have red hair doesn't invalidate that.

Bulldog Psion
2011-11-16, 06:47 PM
Look: if you have red hair, and your father has red hair, and your son has red hair, then red hair is a family trait.

The fact that several million other people, who aren't (known to be) directly related to you, also have red hair doesn't invalidate that.

That's fine, but this theory is skirting mighty close to the "everyone in the comic looks the same, so they must be related" theories. The problem is that everyone DOES look pretty much the same because they're stick figures. So to me, saying that the eyes are an intentional family trait rather than just a random oddity of using the same models over and over again seems excessively complicated.

In short, my opinion is that the eyes mean absolutely nothing.

Nimrod's Son
2011-11-17, 04:41 AM
Yes, what Bulldog Psion said.