PDA

View Full Version : The Wanderer (3.5)

lunar2
2011-11-11, 11:32 PM
The WANDERER
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills
The wanderer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (any) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

BAB, saves, and spells as druid.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the wanderer.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Wanderers are proficient with simple weapons, and light and medium armor, but not with shields.
Spells: A wanderer casts divine spells, which are drawn from the wanderer spell list. A wanderer must choose and prepare her spells in advance (see below).
To prepare or cast a spell, the wanderer must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a wanderer’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the wanderer’s Wisdom modifier.
Like other spellcasters, a wanderer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Wanderer. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Wisdom score. She does not have access to any domain spells or granted powers, as a cleric does.
A wanderer prepares and casts spells the way a cleric does, though she cannot lose a prepared spell to cast a cure spell in its place. A wanderer may prepare and cast any spell on the wanderer spell list, provided that she can cast spells of that level, but she must choose which spells to prepare during her daily meditation.
Bonus Languages: A wanderer’s bonus language options change to any, besides secret languages, such as Druidic.
Empathy (Ex): A wanderer can improve the attitude of a creature. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check made to improve the attitude of a person. The wanderer rolls 1d20 and adds her wanderer level -2 and her Charisma modifier to determine the empathy check result.
To use empathy, the wanderer and the creature must be able to study each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal conditions. Generally, influencing a creature in this way takes 1 minute but, as with Diplomacy, it might take more or less time.
A wanderer gains a +4 bonus to the check when using empathy on creatures that the wanderer shares a language with.
Companion (Ex): A wanderer may gain a travelling companion at 3rd level. This companion can be of any race that does not cast spells, have spell-like abilities, or advance by character class. A 3rd level wanderer can have a companion of up to CR 3. At every level divisible by 3, the companion is advanced by 2 CRs. A companion is not attached to the wanderer in any way, and if its attitude ever drops to unfriendly or hostile, it will immediately leave or attempt retribution for its treatment, whichever is appropriate. A wanderer can only have 1 companion at a time, but can dismiss an active companion, or gain a new one, at any time. a wanderer can designate any eligible creature that has an attitude of friendly or better as its companion.
Tireless Traveller: At 7th level, a wanderer gains immunity to fatigue and fatigue effects. Any effect that would make a wanderer exhausted makes them fatigued instead.
Sleepless Traveller: At 11th level, a wanderer no longer needs to sleep, and becomes immune to all sleep effects.
A Thousand Faces (Ex): At 15th level, a wanderer gains the ability to change her appearance at will, as if using the alter self spell. This process takes 1 minute, as the wanderer's features physically reshape themselves. The wanderer heals as if she had rested for one day when using this ability.
Timeless Traveller (Ex): After attaining 20th level, a wanderer no longer takes ability score penalties for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any penalties she may have already incurred, however, remain in place.
Bonuses still accrue, but the wanderer no longer dies of old age.

so, i wanted to remove the druid from its environment, and nerf it somewhat as well, and the wanderer is what i got. instead of being associated with nature (druid) or cities (urban druid), this guy is just a random traveller. I still need to make a spell list, but what do you think from what you see so far?

Eleven
2011-11-12, 05:37 AM
Comme ça?

The WANDERER

The Wanderer has a vast and unspeakable affection for the unknown horizon. They are found where the roads have long since disappeared and where civilisation is lost completely. They are a valuable ally to have - they know the natural world and it knows and respects them. They are also to be feared, since few can stop them in their path and the natural world bends to their suggestion.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs12/i/2006/280/a/c/This_is_the_end____by_WormBaby99.jpg
A Wanderer at the edge of the known world.

Hit Die: d8.

Alignment: Any.

Table: The Druid
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0th|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9 th
1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Spells, Bonus Language, Empathy|3|1||||||

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3||4|2||||||

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Companion|4|2|1|||||

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4||5|3|2|||||||

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4||5|3|2|1|||||

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5||5|3|3|2|||||

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Tireless Traveler|6|4|3|2|1||||

8th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+2|
+6||6|4|3|3|2||||

9th|
+6/+1|
+6|
+3|
+6||6|4|4|3|2|1|||

10th|
+7/+2|
+7|
+3|
+7||6|4|4|3|3|2|||

11th|
+8/+3|
+7|
+3|
+7|Sleepless Traveler|6|5|4|4|3|2|1||

12th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8||6|5|4|4|3|3|2|||

13th|
+9/+4|
+8|
+4|
+8||6|5|5|4|4|3|2|1||

14th|
+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+9||6|5|5|4|4|3|3|2||

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+9|
+5|
+9|A Thousand Faces|6|5|5|5|4|4|3|2|1|

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10||6|5|5|5|4|4|3|3|2|

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10||6|5|5|5|5|4|4|3|2|1

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+6|
+11||6|5|5|5|5|4|4|3|3|2

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11||6|5|5|5|5|5|4|4|3|3

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|Timeless Traveler|6|5|5|5|5|5|4|4|4|4[/table]

Class Skills
The wanderer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Jump (Str), Knowledge (any) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) x 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the wanderer.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Wanderers are proficient with simple weapons, and light and medium armor, but not with shields.

Spells: A wanderer casts divine spells, which are drawn from the wanderer spell list. A wanderer must choose and prepare her spells in advance (see below).
To prepare or cast a spell, the wanderer must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a wanderer’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the wanderer’s Wisdom modifier.
Like other spellcasters, a wanderer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Wanderer. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Wisdom score. She does not have access to any domain spells or granted powers, as a cleric does.
A wanderer prepares and casts spells the way a cleric does, though she cannot lose a prepared spell to cast a cure spell in its place. A wanderer may prepare and cast any spell on the wanderer spell list, provided that she can cast spells of that level, but she must choose which spells to prepare during her daily meditation.

Bonus Languages: A wanderer’s bonus language options change to any, besides secret languages, such as Druidic.

Empathy (Ex): A wanderer can improve the attitude of a creature. This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check made to improve the attitude of a person. The wanderer rolls 1d20 and adds her wanderer level -2 and her Charisma modifier to determine the empathy check result.
To use empathy, the wanderer and the creature must be able to study each other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under normal conditions. Generally, influencing a creature in this way takes 1 minute but, as with Diplomacy, it might take more or less time.
A wanderer gains a +4 bonus to the check when using empathy on creatures that the wanderer shares a language with.

Companion (Ex): A wanderer may gain a travelling companion at 3rd level. This companion can be of any race that does not cast spells, have spell-like abilities, or advance by character class. A 3rd level wanderer can have a companion of up to CR 3. At every level divisible by 3, the companion is advanced by 2 CRs. A companion is not attached to the wanderer in any way, and if its attitude ever drops to unfriendly or hostile, it will immediately leave or attempt retribution for its treatment, whichever is appropriate. A wanderer can only have 1 companion at a time, but can dismiss an active companion, or gain a new one, at any time. a wanderer can designate any eligible creature that has an attitude of friendly or better as its companion.

Tireless Traveller: At 7th level, a wanderer gains immunity to fatigue and fatigue effects. Any effect that would make a wanderer exhausted makes them fatigued instead.

Sleepless Traveller: At 11th level, a wanderer no longer needs to sleep, and becomes immune to all sleep effects.

A Thousand Faces (Ex): At 15th level, a wanderer gains the ability to change her appearance at will, as if using the alter self spell. This process takes 1 minute, as the wanderer's features physically reshape themselves. The wanderer heals as if she had rested for one day when using this ability.

Timeless Traveller (Ex): After attaining 20th level, a wanderer no longer takes ability score penalties for aging and cannot be magically aged. Any penalties she may have already incurred, however, remain in place.
Bonuses still accrue, but the wanderer no longer dies of old age.

Mangles
2011-11-12, 07:05 AM
seems a bit empty. You certainly loose a lot of stuff by not taking standard druid and don't gain much in return. Your most powerful ability is your companion too.

Greysect
2011-11-12, 12:39 PM
seems a bit empty. You certainly loose a lot of stuff by not taking standard druid and don't gain much in return. Your most powerful ability is your companion too.

I think that was Lunar's point. He wanted to nerf the druid so it can be used next to lower tiered classes.

lunar2
2011-11-12, 01:17 PM
yeah, i wanted to remove the nature connection, and nerf it somewhat (or a lot). in exchange, empathy and the companion are no longer type restricted, and at level 20 you become basically immortal. i still need to redo the spell list, but it will be mainly travel and utility spells, with some weather control and a bit of social interaction thrown in.

EDIT: Here's the spell list. If it seems too weak, I was thinking about adding in terrain manipulation as well. I can just see the Wanderer that uses move earth to level out a hill rather than climb it. Also, I'm thinking of adding shocking grasp or burning hands to the 1st level spells, or maybe magic stone because as it stands they get no 1st level offensive magic. Also, if the cure line and lesser restoration are to far off the theme, they can be removed, but i thought they could fit in under the utility theme. Whatever the case, I don't want the wanderer being a primary healer. which is why i gave him cure at the standard levels. I drop them by 1 level on clerics, so that cure light wounds is a 0-level spell, and up from there.

0-LEVEL WANDERER SPELLS (ORISONS)
Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Know Direction, Light, Mending, Create Water, Cure Minor Wounds, Purify Food and Drink

1ST-LEVEL WANDERER SPELLS
Alarm, Charm Person, Comprehend Languages, Cure Light Wounds, Disguise Self, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Unseen Servant, Endure Elements, Longstrider, Goodberry, Jump, Pass without Trace, Mount, Floating Disk, Obscuring Mist, Socking Grasp, Burning Hands, Magic Stone

2ND-LEVEL WANDERER SPELLS
Cure Moderate Wounds, Darkness, Whispering Wind, Make Whole, Resist Energy, Lesser Restoration, Gust of Wind, Spider Climb, Fog Cloud, Continual Flame, Alter Self, Darkvision, Levitate, Soften Earth and Stone,

3RD-LEVEL WANDERER SPELLS
Charm Monster, Cure Serious Wounds, Daylight, Dispel Magic, Gaseous Form, Haste, Phantom Steed, Slow, Tiny Hut, Create Food and Water, Protection From Energy, Water Breathing, Water Walk, Wind Wall, Fly, Call Lightning, Sleet Storm, Stinking Cloud, Blink, Searing Light, Stone Shape,

4TH-LEVEL WANDERER SPELLS
Cure Critical Wounds, Dimension Door, Freedom of Movement, Repel Vermin, Secure Shelter, Air Walk, Tongues, Ice Storm, Minor Creation, Solid Fog, Fire Shield, Control Water,

5TH-LEVEL WANDERER SPELLS
Plane Shift, Control Winds, Commune with Nature, Teleport, Call Lightning Storm, Tree Stride, Cloudkill, Mage's Faithful Hound, Major Creation, Mind Fog, Fabricate, Overland Flight, Passwall, Wall of Stone, Transmute Mud to Rock, Transmute Rock to Mud,

6TH-LEVEL WANDERER SPELLS
Find the Path, Heroes' Feast, Greater Dispel Magic, Wind Walk, Word of Recall, Transport Via Plants, Acid Fog, True Seeing, Shadow Walk, Wall of Iron, Move Earth,

7TH-LEVEL WANDERER SPELLS
Control Weather, Ethereal Jaunt, Sunbeam, Greater Teleport, Mage's Magnificent Mansion

8TH-LEVEL WANDERER SPELLS
Whirlwind, Sunburst, Phase Door, Reverse Gravity, Incendiary Cloud, Polar Ray

9TH-LEVEL WANDERER SPELLS
Astral Projection, Etherealness, Gate, Storm of Vengeance, Meteor Swarm

zegram 33
2011-11-13, 08:15 AM
i know they arnt divine magic, but what about: alter self and rope trick at 2nd level?
both seem to fit the rather tricksy, utility theme of this class lol
similarly maybe tongues at level 3, maybe "locate creature" at this or an ealier level.
possibly hallucinatory terrain at some point, although not massivley useful i guess.
probably stone shape to allow the opening of stone passages etc
for a similar reason id say definatley "Transmute rock to mud" and "mud to rock", certainly rock to mud for travelling across swamps etc
possibly add in control water for crossing rivers easily and maybe even move earth

this looks like a really nice utility type class, be quite fun to play as the guy who maybe cant bring it in a fight to stupid levels, but can always gather information or understand things when you meet civilisation, and can always cover the group if (lets be honest, when) you get trapped in a snowstorm or something similarly foolish :smalleek:

lunar2
2011-11-13, 10:28 AM
i know they arnt divine magic, but what about: alter self and rope trick at 2nd level?
both seem to fit the rather tricksy, utility theme of this class lol
similarly maybe tongues at level 3, maybe "locate creature" at this or an ealier level.
possibly hallucinatory terrain at some point, although not massivley useful i guess.
probably stone shape to allow the opening of stone passages etc
for a similar reason id say definatley "Transmute rock to mud" and "mud to rock", certainly rock to mud for travelling across swamps etc
possibly add in control water for crossing rivers easily and maybe even move earth

this looks like a really nice utility type class, be quite fun to play as the guy who maybe cant bring it in a fight to stupid levels, but can always gather information or understand things when you meet civilisation, and can always cover the group if (lets be honest, when) you get trapped in a snowstorm or something similarly foolish :smalleek:

I've got alter self at 2nd level.

I don't like rope trick, so that's out.

I've got tongues at lv. 4

I didn't want to go too heavy on the divination. a wanderer typically travels just for the sake of it, not to go somewhere in particular, so locate object and locate creature are out.

I was thinking about adding in some terrain manipulation, specifically stone shape, soften earth and stone, rock to mud and vice versa, move earth and control water.

I might possibly add in wall of stone and wall of iron, as well, if someone thinks those would be a good idea.

I also need to add in death ward at 4th level. The wanderer travels anywhere, even other planes, and as such is prepared for whatever the local conditions may be.

as for bringing it in a fight, the companion is still a valid melee option, just not as much so as the druids animal companion. take any dragon type companion, and every 3 levels you gain, it gains 2 CR, which works out to 26 + 4x Con HP, +4 BAB, a feat or two, and an ability point to put somewhere. The companion, if built properly, can hit on a level with the fighter, but they will have low AC unless someone buffs them or spends gold on items for them. Since the wanderer doesn't have a wide variety of buffs to cast, the companion would be dependent on other casters in the party for its defense.

also, some fluff on the companion's advancement. A wanderer is a fountain of facts, experience, and wisdom. simply travelling with one for an extended period of time allows creatures to better utilize their natural capabilities, as they learn a portion of the wanderers knowledge. This translates mechanically into a 1 RHD increase per day, until the companion reaches the CR limit of the class feature.

lunar2
2011-11-15, 05:01 PM
Ok, I'm going to add all the spells mentioned above except rope trick, plus searing light, drop the HD to D6 and BAB to 1/2 (it's a full caster, it doesn't need to fight physically), and then I'm going to use it in This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221384) campaign as one of the 4 primary caster classes. It will take the place of the druid as the terrain manipulator type caster. also, any opinions of what tier this is?

now i just need the other 3 casters, and the 4 warriors.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-11-15, 05:27 PM
Probably a Tier 3, by virtue of being a full caster. Although there is MASSIVE potential for cheese in the companion, being a second character at level -1. I would keep the animal companion, but limit it to unassuming animals, like dogs, cats, horses, and the like.

lunar2
2011-11-15, 07:14 PM
it's cr 3 at level 3, 5 at level 6, 7 at level 9, etc. by level 18, it's CR 13. and it can't be a creature with spells, spell like abilities, or class levels. having a melee companion, he might hit hard, but he won't have any decent defenses unless gold is spent on him (or another caster's spell slots, since the wanderer is short on buff spells). that should be enough to keep him under the fighter in terms of melee ability.

Grod_The_Giant
2011-11-15, 09:31 PM
it's cr 3 at level 3, 5 at level 6, 7 at level 9, etc. by level 18, it's CR 13. and it can't be a creature with spells, spell like abilities, or class levels. having a melee companion, he might hit hard, but he won't have any decent defenses unless gold is spent on him (or another caster's spell slots, since the wanderer is short on buff spells). that should be enough to keep him under the fighter in terms of melee ability.

Ok. I missed the part about class levels.