PDA

View Full Version : UMD Question in regards to Artifacts

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-12, 12:18 AM
Can you use UMD to emulate the requirements for an artifact? For example, an artifact that can only be wielded by a good aligned individual. Could you really fake it with a DC 30 UMD check?

I don't see any reason that you couldn't but I could be missing something.

tyckspoon
2011-11-12, 12:20 AM
Why not? It's one of the explicit functions of UMD, and artifacts are still Magical Devices to be Used.

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-12, 12:24 AM
Why not? It's one of the explicit functions of UMD, and artifacts are still Magical Devices to be Used.

It just seems wrong somehow.

Deimess
2011-11-12, 12:36 AM
In my opinion, artifacts are a step beyond magic items. I personally probably wouldn't rule it, but by RAW I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Been awhile since I read the Use Magic Device section though.

Big Fau
2011-11-12, 12:44 AM
It just seems wrong somehow.

This, incidentally, is one reason I don't use artifacts that have restrictions on who can use them. Not only are some of the horribly underpowered for "legendary tools of heroes long past", the restrictions in place are often not worth the effort it takes to bypass them.

Snowbear22
2011-11-12, 12:54 AM
Looking at the SRD for UMD, it seems you can emulate an alignment with a check DC of 30. I don't know what kind of check artifacts would need to be activated, but perhaps requiring someone to first pass the DC 30 in UMD followed by another check of UMD to actually use the artfact could be a reasonable solution. However, I am new-ish to DnD and don't know all of the rules.

Curmudgeon
2011-11-12, 01:14 AM
Can you use UMD to emulate the requirements for an artifact?
There's a specific example of Use Magic Device with a major artifact in Dragon # 329 on page 67: Pazuzu's Binding Claw. That also introduces a new subskill for UMD: DC 40 to Emulate a Specific Individual, since normally only Pazuzu can command the artifact's powers.

BobVosh
2011-11-12, 05:13 AM
No restriction per RAW, feels like something a DM would hammer down on though.