PDA

View Full Version : Gate Question

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-12, 03:19 AM
Do the rules say what happen if something is transferring through a Gate spell when it ends?

Say you cast gate and then stick a metal rod through the gate. What happens when you end the Gate? Is the rod chopped in half? Fully on one side or the other? Lost in the planes randomly?

What?

Or is it entirely up to DM adjudication and houserules?

Dragonsoul
2011-11-12, 03:23 AM
I really don't like where this thought is going.....

The text on gate states that it functions like Plane shift, which would suggest that you touch the wibbley bit in the middle and are transported to the destination point

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-12, 03:25 AM
Except Gate is specifically an open two way portal.

Dragonsoul
2011-11-12, 03:31 AM
:smallconfused: Fine it plane shifts in both directions, it doesn't join to points in space together despite its name,form and function, its just a plane shift on a stick that has a few extra tricks.

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-12, 03:34 AM
"The gate itself is a circular hoop or disk from 5 to 20 feet in diameter (caster’s choice), oriented in the direction you desire when it comes into existence (typically vertical and facing you). It is a two-dimensional window looking into the plane you specified when casting the spell, and anyone or anything that moves through is shunted instantly to the other side.

A gate has a front and a back. Creatures moving through the gate from the front are transported to the other plane; creatures moving through it from the back are not."

Except that's exactly what it is.

Dragonsoul
2011-11-12, 03:39 AM
"The gate itself is a circular hoop or disk from 5 to 20 feet in diameter (caster’s choice), oriented in the direction you desire when it comes into existence (typically vertical and facing you). It is a two-dimensional window looking into the plane you specified when casting the spell, and anyone or anything that moves through is shunted instantly to the other side.

A gate has a front and a back. Creatures moving through the gate from the front are transported to the other plane; creatures moving through it from the back are not."

Except that's exactly what it is.

.....It's pretty bad when I can make my point by quoting the person I'm discussing it with.

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-12, 03:48 AM
.....It's pretty bad when I can make my point by quoting the person I'm discussing it with.

Nah, I'm asking if the whole is shunted; if you stick your finger through does just your finger pass through, like a door, or does your whole body just instantly come out the other side?

HunterOfJello
2011-11-12, 03:50 AM
Nah, I'm asking if the whole is shunted; if you stick your finger through does just your finger pass through, like a door, or does your whole body just instantly come out the other side?

considering it uses the word 'shunted' it should push/pull the rest of you through.

i.e. don't touch it if you don't want to travel

BobVosh
2011-11-12, 04:39 AM
It sounds like the second you touch it, you are on the other side. Which leaves the question of why does it matter how big the hole is if you can just do that?

Also what was it that you wanted to chop in half? Some sort of artifact destruction? The answer to the DM wants to kill me thread you already posted in?

Earthwalker
2011-11-12, 04:51 AM
If you open the gate linking the ocean floor and the mountain top. Does -

a) The entire ocean appear on top of the mountain (shunted instantly)
b) Nothing come through at all
c) water begin pouring out on top of the mountain

I I am thinking b, but just wondering.

Emperor Tippy
2011-11-12, 11:13 AM
It sounds like the second you touch it, you are on the other side. Which leaves the question of why does it matter how big the hole is if you can just do that?

Also what was it that you wanted to chop in half? Some sort of artifact destruction? The answer to the DM wants to kill me thread you already posted in?

Just thinking of more weapons to weaponize gate. Tricking a dragon into sticking it's head through a gate and then closing it, decapitating the dragon, seems thematically appropriate for some reason. Was wondering if it was possible/RAW or not.

bloodtide
2011-11-12, 12:14 PM
The rules say 'instantly' so you can't ''cut things off with a gate'. And as 3E is full of the safety rules(you can't summon stuff on top of people or teleport them to bad spots or polymoprh them into fish on land and so on) it's say even if something was 'mid way' in a gate, it would just get pushed to the other side all safe and sound.

The way spell is written, I don't think you 'pass through the gate, per say', I think it's a little more like this effect:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShYVwNFivcg Just fast forward to 3:40.

Urpriest
2011-11-12, 02:16 PM
Manual of the Planes was more explicit about this IIRC. Gate and similar portally objects transport an entire creature or object (note that D&D objects are discretized and cannot be viewed as continuous). You touch it, all of you goes through. Given the discretization argument, water shouldn't go through either.

Psyren
2011-11-12, 03:02 PM
You can't go half-way through a Gate, or stick your head through etc. Therefore there is no "cutting in half" to worry about.

(Hence, Dragonsoul's reading is correct.)