PDA

View Full Version : Steam hacked???

Avilan the Grey
2011-11-12, 03:27 AM
I just got a popup on STEAM: They aknowledges a hacking attempt, and that someone got inside. However they have no proof of any accounts being hacked or stole, but gently suggests you change passwords anyway.

Sith_Happens
2011-11-12, 05:47 AM
Just opened the News tab on my Steam client:

Yesterday, on November 10, 2011, the following message was sent to all users via a Steam message.

Dear Steam Users and Steam Forum Users:

Our Steam forums were defaced on the evening of Sunday, November 6. We began investigating and found that the intrusion goes beyond the Steam forums.

We learned that intruders obtained access to a Steam database in addition to the forums. This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information. We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating.

We don't have evidence of credit card misuse at this time. Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely.

While we only know of a few forum accounts that have been compromised, all forum users will be required to change their passwords the next time they login. If you have used your Steam forum password on other accounts you should change those passwords as well.

We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password.

We will reopen the forums as soon as we can.

I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Gabe.

No brains
2011-11-12, 12:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JexvRBoa5M

The HAAAAAAX!!

Squark
2011-11-14, 11:22 AM
Nerf Now!!'s take on this matter. (http://www.nerfnow.com/comic/624)

It really is nice to know that Valve was forthright about this, though.

Duneyrr
2011-11-14, 11:24 AM
Luckily it was just the forums and not their Steam login information

Miklus
2011-11-14, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I had to change my password too.

Amazing how poor security is on the internet. This is why I hate buing stuff there. That, and fact that they usually screw up my order.

Leecros
2011-11-14, 11:56 AM
Amazing how poor security is on the internet. This is why I hate buing stuff there. That, and fact that they usually screw up my order.

It's not necessarily the fact that security is poor so much as there are people who devote their lives to hacking things and can hack just about anything. It's kind of along the same lines as video game piracy. It doesn't matter what measures you take, there's a good chance that it will be hacked someday.

What i do is that i have an account opened specifically for online shopping and i never have more than $100 in it at any given time. That way, if the <insert online store here> gets hacked and steals my account information before i notice, the most they can get away with is $100. Also have to make sure they don't hijack my store account completely and run off with all of my games, but there really isn't much you can do about that other than change your password when the store says that it had been hacked and take the suggested, appropriate measures.

Bayar
2011-11-14, 12:15 PM
It's not necessarily the fact that security is poor so much as there are people who devote their lives to hacking things and can hack just about anything. It's kind of along the same lines as video game piracy. It doesn't matter what measures you take, there's a good chance that it will be hacked someday.

What i do is that i have an account opened specifically for online shopping and i never have more than $100 in it at any given time. That way, if the <insert online store here> gets hacked and steals my account information before i notice, the most they can get away with is $100. Also have to make sure they don't hijack my store account completely and run off with all of my games, but there really isn't much you can do about that other than change your password when the store says that it had been hacked and take the suggested, appropriate measures.

I never keep more than 2 dollars on my credit card since Romania is well known for it's hackers. If I want to buy something, I go to the bank and make a deposit before buying that thing online.

Leecros
2011-11-14, 12:50 PM
I never keep more than 2 dollars on my credit card since Romania is well known for it's hackers. If I want to buy something, I go to the bank and make a deposit before buying that thing online.

yeah that's pretty much what i do too. I didn't really explain it too well(and i have 5, not 2), but i said that i never had more than $100 in it which us true, but usually i never have much of anything in it. However the most a hacker could get away with is $100...assuming that i'm hacked before i can buy a $100 game(which thankfully i've never seen...yet, i was just using that number as the high point.