PDA

View Full Version : White Raven character?

Tvtyrant
2011-11-12, 04:58 PM
How would you go about making a ToB character that takes only mostly White Raven maneuvers? Everything from race to class to stats is up for opinion, but the maneuvers have to be White Raven unless there are too many slots otherwise.

Elfin
2011-11-12, 05:03 PM
There aren't enough White Raven maneuvers for you to take nothing but them, so you'll be forced to learn at least a couple from other disciplines. However, you can decide not to actually use any maneuvers but White Raven ones.

Godskook
2011-11-12, 05:07 PM
First, why is cherry-picking from other disciplines not ok?

Second, White Raven synergizes well with charging and allies, a *LOT*. A bardic warblade with leadership is probably a really good start here.

flumphy
2011-11-12, 05:12 PM
Learning only White Raven maneuvers would be possible if you were willing to take levels in non-ToB classes. You'd have less maneuvers known and wouldn't have to start out with all first-level maneuvers.

Coidzor
2011-11-12, 05:22 PM
The idiot crusader is the closest to what you sound like you want, but I don't think that'll work to get only white raven maneuvers. Could get it so that you only knew white raven maneuvers as a crusader though, IIRC.

Tvtyrant
2011-11-12, 05:23 PM
Okay, allow my to alter that. What would be the best build for a character that was primarily focused on White Raven?

Elfin
2011-11-12, 05:26 PM
Bard/warblade is an excellent pick if you choose to go that route. The Song of the White Raven feat makes them synergies excellently, and if you pick up Dragonfire Inspiration you can boost your party's damage quite a bit. The standard bardblade build is warblade16/bard4.

The problem with White Raven-only is that at first level you get three maneuvers known, but there are only two 1st-level White Raven maneuvers.

Edit: White Raven is a very versatile discipline; there's not really any best build, per se. If you're going to be focusing on White Raven, you do want to make sure that there's at least one other melee'er in your party, as a lot of White Raven maneuvers focus on benefiting melee allies.

If you'd like to go the crusader route, you could create a very potent tripper or battlefield controller.

Curious
2011-11-12, 05:30 PM
Perhaps Devoted Spirit would do as a filler? It's nearly as teamwork-oriented as White Raven. In which case you may wish to go the Bardsader route, so your build might look something like-
Dragonborn Warforged/ Silverbrow Human Bard 4/ Crusader 16. DFI is a must. Tons of team-buffing.

Cespenar
2011-11-12, 05:34 PM
By third level, you could potentially make 60+ damage with a charge if you took the Spirited Charge chain.

So, obviously, there's the charger way, mounted or dismounted.

And apparently the discipline has a lot to do with flanking in general, so a one level Rogue dip and Craven might be a way. Doubly effective if you had Rogue allies.

You might cram those all together and build some kind of dual wielding pouncing rogue type too, probably.

Also, you could maybe rely on that "double 5' step stance" and try to harry unprepared wizards, but I don't know if that would work well.

Zonugal
2011-11-12, 06:10 PM
Hmm... What about something like this?

Forestlord Half-Elf Bard 4/Warblade 2/Marshal 1/Dragonfire Adept 1/Warblade 12.

Regarding Marshal you'll pick Motivate Intelligence and with Dragonfire Adept you'll choose Draconic Knowledge with both of these fueling Knowledge Devotion. This will not only aid you in combat via bonuses to attack & damage, but with Collector of Stories you'll have a solid shot at identifying at least one to two weaknesses about any enemy you end up engaging.

With feats like Song of the White Raven and Draconic Aura (Vigor) you'll be a commander you inspires, heals and makes his men more intelligent in addition to directing the flow of combat rather well through maneuvers. Beyond that you can breath a cone or line of fire each round and throw down a Calming Emotions effect through your oratory talents.

Tvtyrant
2011-11-12, 07:09 PM
Hmm... What about something like this?

Forestlord Half-Elf Bard 4/Warblade 2/Marshal 1/Dragonfire Adept 1/Warblade 12.

Regarding Marshal you'll pick Motivate Intelligence and with Dragonfire Adept you'll choose Draconic Knowledge with both of these fueling Knowledge Devotion. This will not only aid you in combat via bonuses to attack & damage, but with Collector of Stories you'll have a solid shot at identifying at least one to two weaknesses about any enemy you end up engaging.

With feats like Song of the White Raven and Draconic Aura (Vigor) you'll be a commander you inspires, heals and makes his men more intelligent in addition to directing the flow of combat rather well through maneuvers. Beyond that you can breath a cone or line of fire each round and throw down a Calming Emotions effect through your oratory talents.

So it would be control through breathing, healing and buffing through songs, and more buffing through maneuvers? I think I like this plan :D

Also, in an earlier post someone mentioned being a dragonborn warforge silverbrow human. Hos is that pulled off?

Curious
2011-11-12, 07:11 PM
So it would be control through breathing, healing and buffing through songs, and more buffing through maneuvers? I think I like this plan :D

Also, in an earlier post someone mentioned being a dragonborn warforge silverbrow human. Hos is that pulled off?

I meant you could get either Dragonborn Warforged or plain Silverbrow for the Dragonblood subtype, so you can grab Dragonfire Inspiration.

ExtravagantEvil
2011-11-12, 07:21 PM
... Also, in an earlier post someone mentioned being a dragonborn warforge silverbrow human. Hos is that pulled off?
I think he meant that you could be either or, not an amalgam of them.
So either Silverbrow Human, or Dragonborn Warforged.

EDIT:
Ninja'd; My first time ever :smallbiggrin:.

Zonugal
2011-11-12, 07:37 PM

Pretty much, the main focusing would be buffing your allies while identifying weaknesses in your enemies.