PDA

View Full Version : Spells I should take?

windweaver
2011-11-12, 11:18 PM
Okay, I've got a campaign in which I'm playing a sorcerer. It's my first real campaign I'll be in long term and I really want to make sure I'm able to contribute well to the group. I'm playing a half-elf sorcerer with a Fae bloodline. I want to know what spells would be good for me to be ready to uses as I level up. I'm not sure I need to put this here (really a newb to the whole playing D&D thing) but I'm focusing on a damage dealing combat wizard. My character has basically been sent on a coming of age quest to learn about his powers by his mother.

My stats are the following

STR: 16
DEX: 17
CON: 17
INT 17
WIS 15
CHA 17+2 (racial bonus) 19

(I've mentioned this character before (once when I thought I lost my sheet) You can see why I was so aggravated. These were some epic rolls).

The game's just started but this is what I have at level one.

Cantrips
Daze
Resistance
Acid Splash
Ray of frost

My two level 1 spells are:
Grease
Magic Missile

What should I be on the lookout to take as I level up?

Suggestions appreciated folks.

Chilingsworth
2011-11-12, 11:31 PM
First, which books do you have access to?

I'd take color spray at first level, and magic missile later, if at all. Color spray is most useful at the lowest levels (though it doesn't become useless until your enemies can outstrip your save DC's, or have immunity to illusions.

deuxhero
2011-11-12, 11:31 PM
Drop resistance. It's a resistance bonus (thus is outdated fairly quick, as it doesn't stack with the standarized Cloak of Resistance). You don't need two damage spells with the same effect, and cold has more resists, so drop Ray of Frost. Replace them with (more options outside of core), Prestidigitation and Detect Magic. When you get more cantrips, pick from light, ghost sound, mending, read magic (for potion IDing) and possibly message.

What sources do you have?

edit: Same Time Posted

Chilingsworth
2011-11-12, 11:34 PM
Also, is this for 3.5, PF, or 3.PF?

deuxhero
2011-11-12, 11:38 PM
Likely PF or 3.PF given he mentions a bloodline (overlooked that).

windweaver
2011-11-12, 11:38 PM
It's just regular pathfinder. I'm not sure precisely what two books my DM's using honestly but I do know this one has been pretty consistent with what he's told me so far

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

windweaver
2011-11-13, 08:28 PM
Any suggestions of what I should take later on? Stuff that's useful as I go up the ladder?

Eldariel
2011-11-13, 08:51 PM
Any suggestions of what I should take later on? Stuff that's useful as I go up the ladder?

1st level you really don't want Magic Missile yet. It's 1d4+1 damage for 1 spell; not especially productive. It becomes an interesting option a bit later on but level 1, it's just really, really wasteful to spend a spell known on it. You can just shoot a Light Crossbow for higher damage (though obviously, a significant miss chance; MM comes out a bit ahead for Dex 14-16 but not majorly; your spell slots are worth about a 100 times an arrow so the pick should be obvious).

Early awesome spells:
- Grease
- Color Spray
- Sleep
- Enlarge Person

Those are all very solid. E. Person is real nice if you have a meatshield with a two-hander; preferably a reach weapon. I like taking it and one other as my 1st level spells; generally Grease since on 1st level you can spam Daze all day when you need to target the Will-save (tho you still wanna learn Color Spray or Sleep level 2).

Later on, Grease (and possibly Enlarge Person) remains good but the rest you may wanna pick out of:
- True Strike; you'll want it eventually
- Magic Missile; it's a decent failsafe
- Mage Armor; doubly useful if there are any other unarmored party members (animal companions or such)
- Protection From Evil
- Silent Image

Level 2 Spells:
- Pyrotechnics (use with e.g. Bulls-Eyes Lantern to only hit enemies; nice range and strong blind effect)
- Web (must-have)
- Glitterdust (still good after the PF nerf)
- Invisibility
- False Life
- Mirror Image
- Rope Trick (for safe resting once you hit caster level 9, or 5 with Extend Spell-feat)
- Bull's Strength-line (good before you start getting heavy duty magic gear)
- Scorching Ray; for a finishing shot or whatever, a rather efficient damage spell at 12d6 for a level 2 slot.
- Resist Energy (good for long duration buffing later on especially)

Level 3 Spells
- Dispel Magic (never leave home without)
- Haste
- Slow
- Stinking Cloud
- Fly
- Phantom Steed (pretty much replaces Fly when it learns to Air Walk; look at that speed!)
- Greater Magic Weapon (your party will love you! Never buy over +1 enhancement weapons again)
- Major Image
- Displacement
- Sleet Storm
- Keen Edges
- Heroism

Level 4 Spells:
- Black Tentacles
- Solid Fog
- Dimension Door
- Enervation (notice it offers no Save)
- Resilient Sphere
- Confusion (switch out when Mind-Affecting immunity gets bothersomely common)
- Scrying

Level 5 Spells:
- Contact Other Plane
- Wall of Stone
- Baleful Polymorph (your first save-or-die as opposed to save-or-be-screwed like Color Spray)
- Teleport
- Overland Flight
- Telekinesis
- Wall of Force (not sure it's worth it over Wall of Stone anymore now that it can be destroyed via. damage tho)
- Feeblemind
- Hold Monster
- Dismissal

And few choice scrolls. That should get you far enough. Just pick a good mix of offense (spells that target specific saves; poor saves are generally easy to guess and your Knowledge-skills really help you there - some that don't need saves and can hurt e.g. Dragons), defense (personal and ally), buffs, utility (especially stuff like Teleport, Rope Trick, Fly, Contact Other Plane, etc. - stuff nobody else can do) and most importantly control spells (Walls, Fogs, disables, etc.). This'll leave you golden.

And note that lower level spells targeting Save X can remain feasible all the way, especially with Heighten Spell somewhere in there. This allows e.g. Pyrotechnics or Glitterdust to somewhat passably cover Will-save targeting role freeing up your higher level slots for more unique spells.

windweaver
2011-11-14, 01:45 AM
Thanks a bunch guys. I appreciate it immensely.