PDA

View Full Version : Factotums taking Warlock PRCs?

hex0
2011-11-13, 06:30 PM
So...Factotums have a caster level from their Arcane Dilettanteability so they should be able to qualify for some PRCs that Warlocks normally have access to that don't require spells. Green Star Adept (ugh) comes to mind, but are they better options? :smallwink:

Are any of these worth while? Is there any way to get least invocations without dipping Warlock.

If not, could you take a mix of Warlock/Wizard or Cleric/Factotum and then go into one of the Warlock Theurgic PRCs to continue Arcane Dilettante?

Human Paragon 3
2011-11-13, 07:15 PM
I'm pretty sure factotum does not get a caster level. His arcane dillitante spells are not spells, but SLAs. Otherwise, he could use any arcane wand without UMD. Someone might correct me, but this is my understanding.

MeeposFire
2011-11-13, 07:31 PM
I'm pretty sure factotum does not get a caster level. His arcane dillitante spells are not spells, but SLAs. Otherwise, he could use any arcane wand without UMD. Someone might correct me, but this is my understanding.

They have spells and they cast them as spell like abilities. A little bit confusing yes but that is what is written.

hex0
2011-11-13, 07:35 PM
They have spells and they cast them as spell like abilities. A little bit confusing yes but that is what is written.

But that is basically the same as what Warlocks do. SLAs with an equilavent caster level, that is.

The Shadowmind
2011-11-13, 07:58 PM
They have spells that are cast as SLA's, and such a caster level. But they don't have a spell list like the Sorcerer/Cleric/Druid have.

They would not benefit from the +spellcasting advancements of most prestige classes, but I believe that Legacy Champion and the other one with the +level of class advancement would work for boosting arcane dilettante.

hex0
2011-11-13, 08:37 PM
They have spells that are cast as SLA's, and such a caster level. But they don't have a spell list like the Sorcerer/Cleric/Druid have.

They would not benefit from the +spellcasting advancements of most prestige classes, but I believe that Legacy Champion and the other one with the +level of class advancement would work for boosting arcane dilettante.

I'm looking at Page 18 of Complete Arcane that has the Warlock rules that +1 arcane (or existing) prcs advance their SLAs instead, so I figure that it would apply to Dragonfire Adept and Factotum as well.

Weezer
2011-11-13, 08:47 PM
I'm looking at Page 18 of Complete Arcane that has the Warlock rules that +1 arcane (or existing) prcs advance their SLAs instead, so I figure that it would apply to Dragonfire Adept and Factotum as well.

While that makes logical sense, by RAW it doesn't work because that same clause isn't there in the Factotum rules.

hex0
2011-11-13, 09:26 PM
While that makes logical sense, by RAW it doesn't work because that same clause isn't there in the Factotum rules.

Right. But if it is allowed, is there any valid builds using a PRC with Factotum?

Sub questions: Who would allow this? (asking DMs) Who was allowed to do this? (asking players)

Fouredged Sword
2011-11-13, 09:36 PM
I would allow it as a DM, as it is not horridly powerful. It would take green star adept and make it somewhat bearable, as the SLA spell caster loss is less of a hurt than true spell casting levels. The construct abilities would actualy be a boon to a vulnerable factotum. Int to to all str and dex skills and take that 4 con and ignore it.

I wonder if something useful could be cobbled together from the class that turns you into a fiend and green star adept. Something like a demon robot just to say that you made something somewhat useful out of two horrid classes.

hex0
2011-11-13, 09:55 PM
The construct abilities would actualy be a boon to a vulnerable factotum. Int to to all str and dex skills and take that 4 con and ignore it.

True. But losing healing isn't fun. Maybe if your were a Warforged Factotum and you went into Green Star Adept?

MeeposFire
2011-11-13, 10:05 PM
But that is basically the same as what Warlocks do. SLAs with an equilavent caster level, that is.

Actually it isn't. Warlocks use invocations which are explicitly SLAs (a special type). They were never spells though they may be based off the spell descritpion. Factotums actually get spells and they are spells until they are cast in which case they are cast as SLAs. So they are spells until cast which is why you can use things based on spells with them and you can't with warlocks.

It is subtle but important difference.

Treblain
2011-11-14, 12:47 AM
Spell-like abilities are neither arcane nor divine. In the warlock's case, it uses a type of spell-like ability, and has an arcane caster level. Factotum arguably has a caster level for its SLAs, but it is not an arcane caster, like the Warlock. I'm pretty sure there are some other details that that prevent it from qualifying for the few classes that just have "caster level" as prereqs. For instance, factotums choose their SLAs day by day. They don't 'have' SLAs, while warlocks do.

Human Paragon 3
2011-11-14, 11:08 AM
If just having SLAs was enough to give you a caster level for prestige classes, a gnome commoner would qualify for them, too. I think the issue here is that warlock is specifically called out as qualifying for PrCs, but factotum is not.