PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Spells] New Evocation Spells (PEACH)

Zakaroth
2011-11-13, 06:54 PM
Some notes:

• As we all know the evocation school is, to say the least, "meh". In order to improve it somewhat I have been working on new evocation spells. Maybe to bundle them one day in something that would be called the Grimoire of the Evoker... Anyhow, first I would like to start with the following four 9th level evocation spells (as we can all agree that the existing 9th level ones suck). This to see what people think about them, taking in the general feedback and likely make some adjustments.
Edit: Added some additional evocations of other levels. Could use feedback on what the appropriate level for these spells would be.

• Damage: There have, of course, been some forum discussions about evocations in general and what 9th level ones should do. In conclusion the general consent about the damage was about 15/CL for types with common immunities and resistances (fire, cold, lighting), and a bit lower for other ones. This was kept in mind while designing these spells

• SR: As you will see, the following spells don't allow for spell resistance. This is done with intension. I believe that evocations emit raw energy which, when hitting the target, affects it in whatever manner is suited for such an energy type. In other words, its not a form of magic that influences its target directly, it just spits out energy. Much like when some random creature with SR would fall into a bonfire; it will get fire damage and isn't allowed a SR check to prevent this. Same should apply to real Evocations.

Energon Lash
Evocation [Variable]
Level: Sor 1
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft + 5 ft/2 levels)
Target: Single target
Duration: Instantaneous
Save: None
Spell Resistance: No

Upon learning or preparing this spell you choose one of the following energy types; cold, electricity, fire, negative or sonic. This spell gains the respective descriptor.
You evoke bolts of energy that lash at your opponent. A successful ranged touch attack, causes this spell to deal 2d4 + (primary casting modifier) points of the corresponding energy damage. For every three caster levels beyond the first you may make an additional lash (with a maximum of 5 lashes at 15th or higher level). Each lash uses your highest attack modifier.

Crimson Wind
Evocation [Air, Force]
Level: Sor/Wis 6?
Components: V, S
Area: 60 ft. Cone
Save: Reflex partial

You use pure kinetic energy to create a sphere of extreme pressurized air. Upon releasing, an explosion of ripping winds blasts forward. The spells deals 1d6 per caster level damage (max 30d6) in a 60 feet cone. Halve the damage is force and the other halve consist of slashing damage. A successful Reflex save halves this damage. In addition, the target is subjected to a bull rush, and must make a Strength check (with appropriate modifiers for a bull rush) against a DC of 10 + Caster Level + Casting modifier. If the check is failed, the subject is pushed back 5 feet, plus 5 feet for every 5 points by which it failed the check. If the target is pushed into a solid object, it receives an additional 2d6 points of bludgeoning damage for every 5 feet it would have been pushed back.

Eye of the Earth Slayer
Evocation [Electricity]
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 9
Casting time: 1 full round action
Range: Long (400 + 40 ft./level)
Area: 60-ft.-radius emanation from the target.
Saving Throw: Reflex and Fortitude partial

Moments after you complete the spell a funnel of swirling dark clouds manifests itself above the target, within second’s a vicious bolt of unearthly lightning ravages through the sky, seeking out its target. This spell deals 1d20 + 5 points of electric damage per caster level to the initial target, and it must make a successful Fortitude save or become paralyzed and blinded for 1 round.
The immense force causes an electric nova to surge outward, creatures within a 60 ft. radius from the spell’s target are dealt 1d10 points of electric damage per caster level and become paralyzed and blinded for 1 round instead. A successful Reflex save halves the damage from the nova (the initial target does not receive a save to prevent any damage), while a successful Fortitude save prevents the paralysis and blindness.

Frost Nova
Evocation [Cold]
Range: Personal
Area: 120-ft.-radius burst centered on you

You evoke a nova of true cold energy that diminishes all warmth within its path. The nova deals 2d6 points of cold damage per caster level. A successful Reflex save halves the damage. Creatures that fail their Reflex save must make an additional Fortitude save or become Frozen. Frozen creatures cannot move, attack, cast spells, or defend themselves; they are considered immobile, loosing shield and dexterity bonuses to AC and taking a further -4 penalty to AC. Each time a frozen creatures is dealt damage it is entitled an additional saving throw to break free from the Frozen status. The Frozen status otherwise lasts for 1 minute per caster level. Creatures with the [Cold] subtype are immune to the Frozen effect.

Pillars of Threefold Calamity
Evocation [Fire]
Range: Medium (100 + 10 ft./level)
Area: Special

This spell instantly causes a threefold cascade of flaming pillars to spawn from the ground. The pillars emanate from a single point and reach up to a 100 feet high. The inner pillar has a 15 ft. radius dealing 5 points of fire damage per caster level; the second pillar has a radius up to 30 ft, also dealing 5 points of fire damage per caster level; finally, the third has a 60 ft. radius, dealing 1d10 points of fire damage per caster level. The pillars overlap, for example; creatures in the center pillar (15 ft.) take 1d10+10 points of fire damage per caster level. A successful Reflex save reduces the damage by one pillar, or by half for the outer pillar.
Furthermore, the spell causes a massive explosive impact, lifting its victims of their feet. Creatures who failed their Reflex saving throw, are forced to make an additional Fortitude save or become knocked-prone and stunned for 1 round. The destructive power of this spell also ravages the land, turning the affected area into difficult terrain.

Solar Lance
Evocation [Fire, Light]
Level: Sor/Wis 6?, Sun Domain
Range: 120 ft. Line
Save: Reflex halve

You evoke a concentrated beam of solar light, burning everything in its wake. The spell deals 1d6 points of damage per caster level (max 20d6). Half the damage is fire damage, but the rest is solar energy directly drawn from the stars, and thus is not affected by resistance to fire. Certain creatures that are vulnerable to sunlight, such as undead, fungi, molds and oozes, take 1d10 points per caster level instead. In addition, the intense light causes blindness for 1d4 rounds. This spell ignores any immunity to blindness that undead creatures might possess. A successful Reflex save negates the blindness and reduces the damage by half.

Sphere of the Damning Void
Evocation [Darkness, Negative]
Area: 60-ft.-radius emanation centered on you
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

You evoke a sphere out the essence from the negative energy plane, causing an absolute void, consuming all light, air and even life. While in the sphere no one, except for the caster, can see, hear or feel anything (meaning that even abilities like Blindsight and Tremorsense do not work). Neither can creatures outside the spell's area see through it. Furthermore, the atmosphere inside the sphere becomes deprived of air, causing all within to suffocate. Finally, when you cast this spell, and each round thereafter at the start of your turn, all creatures within the area take 1d6 points of negative energy damage per two caster levels and gain a negative level. A successful Fortitude save halves the damage and prevents the negative level.
You are unaffected by all harmful effects of this spell.

Adjustments & updates:

Clarified and improved the wording of the spells.

Eye of the Earth Slayer
Decreased paralysis and blindness from 2d4 initial/1d4 secondary targets to 1 round for both.
Changed the damage from 2d10+4/CL to 1d20+5/CL. (To reduce rolling dice)

Status effects are only inflicted on two failed saves.
Changed damage from 1d8/CL for each pillar to: fixed 5/CL for the inner two and to 1d10/CL for the final one.

Chaos_Laicosin
2011-11-13, 11:21 PM
A few comments:

1) For frost nova, you more or less describe frozen characters as being helpless (immobile, 0 dex/strength, etc.) so couldn't you just say "A frozen character is considered helpless, but they get a new save to break free of the helplessness if attacked." or something to that effect? I just think it would be easier to understand if pre-existing status conditions are used in the description.

2) For pillars of calamity, why d8? Every other evocation spell is d6 because of the number of dice required at higher levels and d6's are easy to come by. I have well over thirty d6's when I play but I only have maybe six d8's. So considering that at 17th level you would have to roll 51d8 against the central target of the spell... that would take a lot of rolling for most gamers using d8's. Also, maybe add a damage cap on the spell like 30d6/20d6/10d6 for each radius going outwards.

3) This is solely aesthetic, but on damning void you describe the interior as a vacuum. This would be far worse than suffocating under water. If you try to hold your breath in a vacuum you lungs will be severely damaged (possibly to the point of being useless) so you have to exhale. With the very little oxygen left in your body after exhaling you would pass out in 15-30 seconds (3-6 turns) depending on fitness levels. Maybe say there is suffocating miasma or something of that sort instead of a vacuum. But, like I said, this is just a science-y sort of bother.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-11-13, 11:24 PM
Overall, I think you're right about direct damage, but the solution is not to use more than 1d6 per caster level and then throw status effects on top. A good baseline would be 1d6 per caster level, and on a failed Reflex save they have to make a Fortitude save to avoid 1 round of a stun or something similar (the XPH would be a good resource.)

Eye of the Earth Slayer
Evocation [Electricity]
Range: Long (400 + 40 ft./level)
Area: 60-ft.-radius emanation from the target.

Moments after you complete the spell a funnel of swirling dark clouds manifests itself above the target, within second’s a vicious bolt of unearthly thunder ravages through the sky, seeking out its target. This spell deals 2d10 + 4 points of electric damage per caster level to the initial target, and become paralyzed and blinded for 2d4 rounds. The immense force causes an electric nova to surge outward, creatures within a 60 ft. radius from the spell’s target are dealt 1d10 points of electric damage per caster level and become paralyzed and blinded for 1d4 rounds instead. A successful Reflex save halves the damage from the nova (the initial target does not receive a save to prevent any damage). A successful Fortitude save allows all affected creatures to prevent the paralysis and blindness.
It doesn't make sense that the main target can take less damage than those around it. I'm okay with the amount of damage, but only if affected creatures don't need to make the Fortitude save if they succeed on the Reflex save. If they have to make both saves no matter what, then the damage is just too much.

Paralysis and blinding overlap way too much (if you're helpless, who cares if you're flat-footed?) And compared to mass hold person, which allows a save every turn to break it, this is just ridiculously overpowered. I would change it to only stunning instead (blindness overlaps with stunning too.) If you REALLY want blindness, then it would work with an effect like making them act as if staggered.

And it really requires spell resistance. Direct damage of this magnitude cannot ignore spell resistance. Since it's a sonic effect, maybe you could make it "spell resistance (partial)" and prevent damage but still cause the stun/blind effect.

Frost Nova
Evocation [Cold]
Area: 120-ft.-radius emanation centered on you

You evoke a nova of uttercold energy that diminishes all warmth within its path. The nova deals 2d6 points of cold damage per caster level. A successful Reflex save halves the damage. Creatures that fail their Reflex save must make an additional Fortitude save or become Frozen. Frozen creatures cannot move, attack, cast spells, or defend themselves; they are considered immobile, loosing shield and dexterity bonuses to AC and taking a further -4 penalty to AC. Frozen creatures are entitled to an additional saving throw if attacked. The Frozen status lasts for 1 minute per level.
Emanations are simply bursts with durations. Why not make this a burst instead? Or you could just make it last one round per caster level and do the 2d6 damage each round, with a note that creatures can only be frozen once per casting.

The effect is weird. Why aren't you just using petrification with modified hardness? (Ice is hardness 0.) Also, the duration is confusing. Make it "Instantaneous (see text)". Besides that, I don't think it's overpowered (it requires two saves.) Having it last as long as the wizard concentrates would make it a nice spell.

I would specify EXACTLY what happens if they are attacked. Note that each time a frozen creature is damaged, they get a new Fortitude save to break free.

Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 9, Destruction

This spell instantly causes a threefold cascade of flaming pillars to spawn from the ground. The pillars emanate from a single point and reach up to a 100 feet high. The first has a 15 ft radius, the second a 30 ft. radius and the third a 60 ft. radius, each dealing 1d8 points of fire damage per caster level (effectively causing creatures in the center pillar to take 3d8 points of damage per CL, and in the second pillar’s band 2d8, etc). A successful Reflex save reduces the damage by 1d8 per caster level. Furthermore, the spell causes a massive explosive impact, lifting its victims of their feet, forcing them to make a successful Fortitude save or become knocked-prone and stunned for 1 round. The destructive power of this spell also ravages the land, turning the affected area into difficult terrain.
Rather than reducing the damage by 1d8 per caster level, reduce it by one step (you don't want them to roll up for damage, then down for a save, do you?) And in practice, I think it already requires rolling too many dice.

Why not have it do 1d8 per caster level in the center, half that in the second ring, and a quarter of that in the fourth ring? The direct damage is too much when coupled with the stun effect, disintegrate can only get away with 2d6 per caster level because it requires both an attack roll and a save.

Again, the lack of spell resistance is ridiculous.

You evoke a sphere of the essence from the negative energy plane, causing an absolute void, consuming all light, air and even life. While in the sphere no one, except for the caster, can see, hear or feel anything (meaning that even abilities like Blindsight and Tremorsense do not work). Only creatures under the effect of Deeper Darkvision can see through it, but still cannot hear or feel. Furthermore, the atmosphere inside the sphere becomes a vacuum, causing all within to suffocate. Finally, when you cast this spell, and each round thereafter at the start of your turn, all creatures within the area take 1d6 points of negative energy damage per two caster levels and gain a negative level. A successful Fortitude save halves the damage and prevents the negative level.

I like this one.

I would note that creatures in the effect can move at half speed (because the way I'm reading it right now, you could fall over and not notice.)

Also note that the effect blocks vision in and out. (Unless you want people outside the effect to be able to shoot the mage, which I think is an unnecessary balancing factor when you compare this to energy drain.) I would also note that the level loss and negative energy damage do allow spell resistance (if only because there is no precedent for either effect ignoring spell resistance.) Or you could make half of the negative energy damage result from the vacuum, being typeless and not subject to spell resistance (but not harming creatures who don't need to breathe.)

Zakaroth
2011-11-14, 04:37 PM
A few comments:

1) For frost nova, you more or less describe frozen characters as being helpless (immobile, 0 dex/strength, etc.) so couldn't you just say "A frozen character is considered helpless, but they get a new save to break free of the helplessness if attacked." or something to that effect? I just think it would be easier to understand if pre-existing status conditions are used in the description.

Well, actually, I was lazy and just copied that part from the Freezing Glance spell. But you have a fair point, I'll see what I can do to improve the description.

2) For pillars of calamity, why d8? Every other evocation spell is d6 because of the number of dice required at higher levels and d6's are easy to come by. I have well over thirty d6's when I play but I only have maybe six d8's. So considering that at 17th level you would have to roll 51d8 against the central target of the spell... that would take a lot of rolling for most gamers using d8's. Also, maybe add a damage cap on the spell like 30d6/20d6/10d6 for each radius going outwards.

Before making these spells I did some research about what people thought was wrong with evocation spells and what 9th level ones should do when it comes to damage. The general consent seemed to be about 15 damage per caster level, in some area. 3d8 is just a bit below that. Also keep in mind that fire immunity is quite common, its one of the worst energy types.
I also assumed, which seems to have been a mistake on my part, that people used calculators for these type of spells and their corresponding dice rolling.

3) This is solely aesthetic, but on damning void you describe the interior as a vacuum. This would be far worse than suffocating under water. If you try to hold your breath in a vacuum you lungs will be severely damaged (possibly to the point of being useless) so you have to exhale. With the very little oxygen left in your body after exhaling you would pass out in 15-30 seconds (3-6 turns) depending on fitness levels. Maybe say there is suffocating miasma or something of that sort instead of a vacuum. But, like I said, this is just a science-y sort of bother.

Coming from a scientific background myself, I can relate to this. And I did realized it as well, but though that no one would really notice. It would actually cause far more (I guess bludgeoning) damage or maybe even Con damage. Although the vacuum part fits nice with the fluff, have to think about this.

Thanks for the feedback!

Up to the next post.

Zakaroth
2011-11-14, 05:09 PM
Overall, I think you're right about direct damage, but the solution is not to use more than 1d6 per caster level and then throw status effects on top. A good baseline would be 1d6 per caster level, and on a failed Reflex save they have to make a Fortitude save to avoid 1 round of a stun or something similar (the XPH would be a good resource.)

That seems like a fair idea, will start to work with this. What are you referring to with XPH?

It doesn't make sense that the main target can take less damage than those around it.

It is extremely unlikely that the primary target takes less damage. Maybe I need to word it more clearly. The main target takes 2d10 + 4 damage per caster level (again aiming for the 15 damage per CL), no save to reduce this damage. The creatures within 60 ft. take 1d10 per CL, and are allowed for a reflex save halving the damage.

Paralysis and blinding overlap way too much (if you're helpless, who cares if you're flat-footed?) And compared to mass hold person, which allows a save every turn to break it, this is just ridiculously overpowered. I would change it to only stunning instead (blindness overlaps with stunning too.) If you REALLY want blindness, then it would work with an effect like making them act as if staggered.

It was done to cover more ground, if something is immune to paralysis but not against blindness and vice versa. Its also because of a fluff standpoint, as in the intense electricity screws all nerves.

And it really requires spell resistance. Direct damage of this magnitude cannot ignore spell resistance. Since it's a sonic effect, maybe you could make it "spell resistance (partial)" and prevent damage but still cause the stun/blind effect.

Like I stated at the notes at the beginning of the initial post, I dont see why a creature would get SR against this spell. It would get SR when it would been struck by natural lightning right? This spell amplifies and aims natural lightning.

Emanations are simply bursts with durations. Why not make this a burst instead? Or you could just make it last one round per caster level and do the 2d6 damage each round, with a note that creatures can only be frozen once per casting.

The effect is weird. Why aren't you just using petrification with modified hardness? (Ice is hardness 0.) Also, the duration is confusing. Make it "Instantaneous (see text)". Besides that, I don't think it's overpowered (it requires two saves.) Having it last as long as the wizard concentrates would make it a nice spell.

Ok, good idea. I'll adjust the spell accordingly. Although I had a nova like spell in mind, which is by definition a instantaneous-like event. So, have to think about this a bit.

I would specify EXACTLY what happens if they are attacked. Note that each time a frozen creature is damaged, they get a new Fortitude save to break free.

Will fix this.

Rather than reducing the damage by 1d8 per caster level, reduce it by one step (you don't want them to roll up for damage, then down for a save, do you?) And in practice, I think it already requires rolling too many dice.

Yes, thats how it was intended. Poor wording on my part. Will fix this.

Why not have it do 1d8 per caster level in the center, half that in the second ring, and a quarter of that in the fourth ring? The direct damage is too much when coupled with the stun effect, disintegrate can only get away with 2d6 per caster level because it requires both an attack roll and a save.

Well, to be fair, disintegrate is only a 6th level spell. This is 3 levels higher, it should be significantly more powerful. Fire damage is also one of the worst types of damage. I think the damage is fine, again aiming for around 15 per CL for the center ring. I might change this spell so that you must fail both the Reflex and the Fortitude to become stunned.

I would note that creatures in the effect can move at half speed (because the way I'm reading it right now, you could fall over and not notice.)

Never thought about that, but its a really good point!

Also note that the effect blocks vision in and out. (Unless you want people outside the effect to be able to shoot the mage, which I think is an unnecessary balancing factor when you compare this to energy drain.) I would also note that the level loss and negative energy damage do allow spell resistance (if only because there is no precedent for either effect ignoring spell resistance.) Or you could make half of the negative energy damage result from the vacuum, being typeless and not subject to spell resistance (but not harming creatures who don't need to breathe.)

Will take these points into account.

Thanks your very much for the extensive feedback.

Shadow Lord
2011-11-14, 05:16 PM
I believe that lowering spells back down to 1d6 per caster level is several steps backwards. Really, doing only 20d6 damage at level 20 once again makes it so that a 6th level spell is better at blasting. And it's a transmutation.

I like how these are right now. They give a proper sense of power for 9th level Evocation spells.

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-14, 05:26 PM
I suggest you add a clause to Frost Nova stating that creatures with the [Cold] subtype are immune to being frozen.

:smallconfused: You made Pillars of Threefold Calamity a Destruction spell instead of a Fire spell? (for Domains)

Also, if you're doing negative energy, you have to do positive energy as well! ("I will heal your FACE off!")

Zakaroth
2011-11-14, 05:35 PM
I believe that lowering spells back down to 1d6 per caster level is several steps backwards. Really, doing only 20d6 damage at level 20 once again makes it so that a 6th level spell is better at blasting. And it's a transmutation.

My thoughts exactly.

I suggest you add a clause to Frost Nova stating that creatures with the [Cold] subtype are immune to being frozen.

Good point, will add.

:smallconfused: You made Pillars of Threefold Calamity a Destruction spell instead of a Fire spell? (for Domains)

Ahhh-uhmm, yeah.. Cant really recall how/why that got there.

Also, if you're doing negative energy, you have to do positive energy as well! ("I will heal your FACE off!")

True that! A rough concept of such a spell is in my evocation .doc file. More will be posted, just wanted some initial feedback.

Shadow Lord
2011-11-14, 05:37 PM
Also, you need Magic Missile Swarm. It's, like, a staple. Everyone wants to swarm people with Magic Missiles.

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-14, 05:44 PM
Also, you need Magic Missile Swarm. It's, like, a staple. Everyone wants to swarm people with Magic Missiles.

Oooh oooh! I want to swarm people with magic missiles! The Force Missile Mage from Dragon Compendium was the best example of fan service for 3.5 since every elf subrace ever written!

By the way, you should put all of these spells on the poor warmage's spell list too. Blasting is all he has. Don't take that away from him.

Magic Missiles of Doom
Evocation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 9, Warmage 9
Range: Long
Target: One creature per level, no two of which may be more than 60 ft apart.
Saving Throw: None
SR: Yes

This spell functions exactly like magic missile except that it creates 5 missiles per caster level, to a maximum of 100 missiles, and each missile deals 2d4+2 damage. No single creature may be targeted by more than 20 missiles. The shield spell offers no protection against magic missiles of doom.

Zakaroth
2011-11-14, 05:51 PM
Added 3 new lower level evocations: Crimson Wind, Energon Lash, Solar Lance

Seems like I have no choice now, will have to make a magic missile swarm spell. Btw, feel free to suggest your own version! Edit: Lol, he beat me to it, nice one!

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-14, 05:54 PM
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk151/Bob1963/senkeisenbonzakurakageyoshi.jpg

This is a picture of someone casting magic missile of doom. He only had one target, so the other 80 just kind of sat back and gave him a background. He didn't complain about that.

Gideon Falcon
2011-11-14, 08:04 PM
Those 9th level spells are Ultra-Nifty. I always get giddy when I see multiple d10s or d12s in damage dice.:smallsmile:

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-11-14, 08:22 PM
I know you want to ignore spell resistance with these, but there's already a precedent for that. Conjuration spells can ignore spell resistance, and they ALWAYS do it with reduced damage and few other effects. Direct damage just isn't the wizard's schtick (at least, not without some attack rolls or failed saving throws leading into it.)

The Expanded Psionics Handbook has a pretty good example of a 9th-level spell that ignores spell resistance. Tornado blast is restricted to specialist kineticists (but shapers can pull off the same sort of things reliably at 1d4 damage per caster level.)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/tornadoBlast.htm

Energon Lash
Evocation [Variable]
Level: Sor/Wis 1
Components: S
Range: Close (25 ft + 5 ft/2 levels)
Target: Single target
Save: None

Upon learning or preparing this spell you choose one of the following energy types; cold, electricity, fire, negative or sonic. This spell gains the respective descriptor.
You evoke arcing bolts of energy that lash at your opponent. A successful ranged touch attack, causes this spell to deal 2d4 + (primary casting modifier) points of the corresponding energy damage. For every three caster levels beyond the first you may make an additional lash (with a maximum of 5 lashes at 15th or higher level). Each lash uses your highest attack modifier.
I'm sorry, that's just too good for first level, between the spell resistance and the nice damage. Maybe if it allowed a Reflex or Fortitude save for half damage (depending on the energy type) it would be okay.

Crimson Wind
Evocation [Air, Force]
Level: Sor/Wis 6?
Area: 60 ft. Cone
Save: Reflex partial

You use pure kinetic energy to create a sphere of extreme pressurized air. Upon releasing, an explosion of ripping winds blasts forward. The spells deals 1d6 per caster level damage (max 30d6) in a 60 feet cone. Halve the damage is force and the other halve consist of slashing damage. A successful Reflex save halves this damage. In addition, the target is subjected to a bull rush, and must make a Strength check (with appropriate modifiers for a bull rush) against a DC of 10 + Caster Level + Casting modifier. If the check is failed, the subject is pushed back 5 feet, plus 5 feet for every 5 points by which it failed the check. If the target is pushed into a solid object, it receives an additional 2d6 points of bludgeoning damage for every 5 feet it would have been pushed back.

Probably 8th.

Eye of the Earth Slayer
Heavy damage, status effects, AND ignoring spell resistance? Sorry, this is overpowered. Maybe if you increased the casting time to 1 round with a pre-designated target it would work.

Frost Nova
Evocation [Cold]
Area: 120-ft.-radius burst centered on you

You evoke a nova of uttercold energy that diminishes all warmth within its path. The nova deals 2d6 points of cold damage per caster level. A successful Reflex save halves the damage. Creatures that fail their Reflex save must make an additional Fortitude save or become Frozen. Frozen creatures cannot move, attack, cast spells, or defend themselves; they are considered immobile, loosing shield and dexterity bonuses to AC and taking a further -4 penalty to AC. Each time a frozen creatures is dealt damage it is entitled an additional saving throw to break free from the Frozen Status. The Frozen status otherwise lasts for 1 minute per caster level. Creatures with the [Cold] subtype are immune to the Frozen effect.
Too much damage. Extreme damage plus a nasty status effect is overpowered.

Evocation [Fire]

This spell instantly causes a threefold cascade of flaming pillars to spawn from the ground. The pillars emanate from a single point and reach up to a 100 feet high. The first has a 15 ft radius, the second a 30 ft. radius and the third a 60 ft. radius, each dealing 1d8 points of fire damage per caster level (effectively causing creatures in the center pillar to take 3d8 points of damage per CL, and in the second pillar’s band 2d8, etc). A successful Reflex save reduces the damage by one band. Creatures in the outer band take halve their normal damage instead. Furthermore, the spell causes a massive explosive impact, lifting its victims of their feet. Creatures who failed their Reflex saving throw, are forced to make an additional Fortitude save or become knocked-prone and stunned for 1 round. The destructive power of this spell also ravages the land, turning the affected area into difficult terrain.
The status effect isn't that bad, but the damage is far too extreme. Maybe if it had a casting time of 1 round with a pre-designated target it could work. You could also get it to work with "Reflex negates".

Solar Lance
Evocation [Fire, Light]
Level: Sor/Wis 6?, Sun Domain
Range: 120 ft. Line
Save: Reflex halve

You evoke a concentrated beam of solar light, burning everything in its wake. The spell deals 1d6 points of damage per caster level (max 20d6). Half the damage is fire damage, but the rest is solar energy directly drawn from the stars, and thus is not affected by resistance to fire. Certain creatures that are vulnerable to sunlight, such as undead, fungi, molds and oozes, take 1d10 points per caster level instead. In addition, the intense light causes blindness for 1d4 rounds. This spell ignores any immunity to blindness that undead creatures might possess. A successful Reflex save negates the blindness and reduces the damage by half.
I'd peg it at 9th. Only allowing a single save makes this a bit more powerful than you wanted it.

You evoke a sphere of the essence from the negative energy plane, causing an absolute void, consuming all light, air and even life. While in the sphere no one, except for the caster, can see, hear or feel anything (meaning that even abilities like Blindsight and Tremorsense do not work). Only creatures under the effect of Deeper Darkvision can see through it, but still cannot hear or feel. Furthermore, the atmosphere inside the sphere becomes a vacuum, causing all within to suffocate. Finally, when you cast this spell, and each round thereafter at the start of your turn, all creatures within the area take 1d6 points of negative energy damage per two caster levels and gain a negative level. A successful Fortitude save halves the damage and prevents the negative level.
Blindsight and tremorsense aren't spells. They shouldn't be italicized or capitalized.

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-14, 08:34 PM
I'm sorry, that's just too good for first level, between the spell resistance and the nice damage. Maybe if it allowed a Reflex or Fortitude save for half damage (depending on the energy type) it would be okay.

Probably 8th.

Heavy damage, status effects, AND ignoring spell resistance? Sorry, this is overpowered. Maybe if you increased the casting time to 1 round with a pre-designated target it would work.

Too much damage. Extreme damage plus a nasty status effect is overpowered.

The status effect isn't that bad, but the damage is far too extreme. Maybe if it had a casting time of 1 round with a pre-designated target it could work. You could also get it to work with "Reflex negates".

I'd peg it at 9th. Only allowing a single save makes this a bit more powerful than you wanted it.

What are you basing all of this off of? The OP has already stated that damage is too low. So where are you getting a basis for your claim that damage is too high? It is unacceptable to claim that his damage is too high using any other evocation spell as a precedent. The only other options are for other attacks that deal damage, so let's take a look at that.

Compared to a dragon's breath weapon? These spells pale in comparison (The strongest dragons deal 20-24d10 damage with their breath, in cones)

Compared to an actually "balanced" ninth level spell? Well, the only 9th level spell other than meteor swarm that deals "damage" is shapechange. And since shapechange can turn you into a dragon whose breath weapon deals up to a maximum of 14d10 damage (mature adult red dragon), or an attack routine that consists of 1 bite, 2 claws, 2 wings and 1 tail slap with 33 Strength... (and that's every round for a duration of 250 minutes, or 4 hours, and also grants AC, higher physical stats, and flight, as opposed to an instantaneous amount of damage)

Yeah, these spells aren't overpowered either. You can say "Shapechange is an incredibly broken spell", but that's the point. 9th level spells are unfair, except for evocation. So to bring evocation back up to the proper standards, how about judging it against spells it has to compete with, rather than the spells that already exist and are too weak?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2011-11-14, 08:56 PM
What are you basing all of this off of? The OP has already stated that damage is too low. So where are you getting a basis for your claim that damage is too high? It is unacceptable to claim that his damage is too high using any other evocation spell as a precedent. The only other options are for other attacks that deal damage, so let's take a look at that.

Compared to a dragon's breath weapon? These spells pale in comparison (The strongest dragons deal 20-24d10 damage with their breath, in cones)

Compared to an actually "balanced" ninth level spell? Well, the only 9th level spell other than meteor swarm that deals "damage" is shapechange. And since shapechange can turn you into a dragon whose breath weapon deals up to a maximum of 14d10 damage (mature adult red dragon), or an attack routine that consists of 1 bite, 2 claws, 2 wings and 1 tail slap with 33 Strength... (and that's every round for a duration of 250 minutes, or 4 hours, and also grants AC, higher physical stats, and flight, as opposed to an instantaneous amount of damage)

Yeah, these spells aren't overpowered either. You can say "Shapechange is an incredibly broken spell", but that's the point. 9th level spells are unfair, except for evocation. So to bring evocation back up to the proper standards, how about judging it against spells it has to compete with, rather than the spells that already exist and are too weak?

Here's my reasoning:

The highest-damage spell I know of is disintegrate, a transmutation spell that deals 2d6 damage per caster level, to a maximum of 40d6. It is an extremely powerful spell, designed to one-shot enemy spellcasters. It gets away with this by doing less than half damage on a successful save, and it requires both an attack roll and saving throw. Obviously, any PC ability that can one-shot an opponent of your CR, usable once per day, has to be situational.

The other place we can look for high-damage spells is psionics, which does about 1d6+1 per caster level with most psychokinesis powers, and introduces other fun stuff too. Crystal spells (metacreativity) deal 1d4 piercing damage per caster level, but they ignore spell resistance and ignore energy resistance (but not damage reduction.) Telepathy has mind thrust, which deals 1d10 per caster level (but it's mind-affecting and the target takes exactly 0 damage on a successful save.) Psionics also has a wide range of energy powers that stack status effects on top of their damage, and all of them do less damage than a standard energy ray, even at 20th level (even low-level energy powers can be pretty ridiculous with the right metapsionic feats.)

Dragon breath weapons are a poor thing to compare wizard spells to. In my opinion, the biggest mistake in 3.5 D&D design was having monsters use the same rules as the PCs. Monsters and PCs are asymmetrical in most cases.

If you want to argue that the utility of high-level wizard spells is overpowered, I'll agree. Most of the high-level wizard spells are overpowered. That's no reason to make things worse by making mages better at dealing damage than warriors. However, some of the spells being posted here (like that one that stunned for 1d4 rounds on a successful save) have better status effects than some 9th-level debuffs.

Yes, I agree that evocation is an underpowered spell school. But most of these are going too far in the other direction.

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-14, 09:09 PM
Here's my reasoning:

The highest-damage spell I know of is disintegrate, a transmutation spell that deals 2d6 damage per caster level, to a maximum of 40d6. It is an extremely powerful spell, designed to one-shot enemy spellcasters. It gets away with this by doing less than half damage on a successful save, and it requires both an attack roll and saving throw. Obviously, any PC ability that can one-shot an opponent of your CR, usable once per day, has to be situational.

The other place we can look for high-damage spells is psionics, which does about 1d6+1 per caster level with most psychokinesis powers, and introduces other fun stuff too. Crystal spells (metacreativity) deal 1d4 piercing damage per caster level, but they ignore spell resistance and ignore energy resistance (but not damage reduction.) Telepathy has mind thrust, which deals 1d10 per caster level (but it's mind-affecting and the target takes exactly 0 damage on a successful save.) Psionics also has a wide range of energy powers that stack status effects on top of their damage, and all of them do less damage than a standard energy ray, even at 20th level (even low-level energy powers can be pretty ridiculous with the right metapsionic feats.)

But that's the problem. 3.5 Design was made to combat 2nd edition monsters (as in, you took the damage spells from 2nd edition, ported them without changing them, but then made every monster stronger). That's why you need a whole new scale, that you have to make from scratch. None of the damage spells that are in print are good enough. Even the best ones are still subpar. That's why blasting is so bad in 3.5, that's why we need fixes. So if you want to make a 3.5 blaster fix, you can't use any spell in the current 3.5 existence as a basis. If there was any spell that existed already that was acceptable, you wouldn't need to fix the whole entire role.

So we make a new baseline from scratch. And that baseline is going to deal more damage than all existing spells. If you don't accept that precedent, you can't help the OP, because that's what he has to do in order to make blasting useable and comparable to other options for a Tier 1 caster.

If you want to argue that the utility of high-level wizard spells is overpowered, I'll agree. Most of the high-level wizard spells are overpowered. That's no reason to make things worse by making mages better at dealing damage than warriors. However, some of the spells being posted here (like that one that stunned for 1d4 rounds on a successful save) have better status effects than some 9th-level debuffs.

Er...what ninth level spell is a debuff? Every 9th level spell I know of is either defensive, utility, or save-or-die (you know, other than imprisonment)

Yitzi
2011-11-14, 10:00 PM

So every save-or-die is situational?

Disintegrate isn't really a damage spell; it's a save-or-die, and should be judged as such regarding balance.

If you want to argue that the utility of high-level wizard spells is overpowered, I'll agree. Most of the high-level wizard spells are overpowered. That's no reason to make things worse by making mages better at dealing damage than warriors.

This.

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-14, 10:08 PM
So every save-or-die is situational?

Disintegrate isn't really a damage spell; it's a save-or-die, and should be judged as such regarding balance.

Well that's not true. Plenty of creatures after 11th level have more than 132 hit points. (11th level caster, 22d6 points of damage. Won't kill much even if it's maximized)

Even if you deal maximized 40d6 damage, that's only 240 hit points. Want to check how many CR 20s have less than 240 hit points?

Disintegrate is not a save-or-die. It's a spell designed to prevent resurrections. Save-or-dies are things like wail of the banshee, destruction, slay living and finger of death. No hit points. No problem.

That's why damage is so bad in the first place. Because people think that disintegrate is a save-or-die, when it only deals 240 damage with a 9th level spell slot at 20th level, and if you make the save, you take 30 damage instead. If that's the best damage spell, then it shows how terrible blasting really is, compared to the hit points of monsters of the same CR.

Edit: If we want blasting to be effective, it should deal enough damage that it competes with save-or-dies.

motionmatrix
2011-11-15, 12:53 AM
I am not sure how to implement it, but the thought of using multipliers in the math rather than a huge amount of dice (I love rolling a bunch of dice, the rest of the players get bored of it pretty quickly though) seems like a way to make it less time consuming and friendlier to large groups. I role play with a group that sits 8 to 12 players regularly.

I have a couple of spells in mind, trying to do the multiplier thing.

Unleash the Evocations

Conjuration? (not quite sure)
Level: Sor/Wis 5th or 7th?
Duration: 1 round per level.

You tap into primal universal energies, creating a rift between planes centered on you, destabilizing the area around you, a font of raw energy. While this area is unstable, all evocations you call upon double the damage they deal. Each evocation you cast reduces the available energy from the rift that you can safely use. You can use one evocation for every 5 caster levels you posses before you must release the rift, which happens as part of the casting of the last evocation or its duration runs out, whichever happens first.

You could actually make this a set of spells, start at 5th level by just enhancing the next evocation. then the 9th level version maybe triples and simple has a duration, no charges?

And yes, I know its not an evocation (please don't flame me too hard, I thought it fit here)

Elemental Soul

Evocation (variable)
Level: Sor/Wis 9th
Casting Time: 1 full round action
Duration: 1 round per 2 levels.
Saving Throw: See below.
Spell Resistance: See below.

You tap into your very soul, that of a powerful mage whose had a lifetime of elemental forces at his command. Doing this grants you the ability to create one elemental effect each turn as a swift action. This effect duplicates one of the following spells:

chain lightning, cone of cold, fireball, flame strike, lightning bolt, Wall of fire

The effect however differs in several ways:

The effect has a damage cap of 50 caster levels. Each effect is under the equivalent of the Empowered Spell Feat, Enlarge Spell Feat, Silent Spell Feat, Still Spell Feat, Widen Spell Feat.

If you choose to replicate a Wall of fire, the time increases by one step to a move action.

You choose what element the effect has from among acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. You may instead choose positive or negative energy, but this turns the effect into a move action. You may instead choose a force effect, but this turns the effect into a standard action.

If the effect uses cold, electricity, or fire, it is a reflex save and deals 1.5 damage. If the effect uses acid, sonic, or force, it is a fortitude save and bypasses spell resistance. If the effect uses positive or negative energy, it is a will save and its area is doubled.

The effects DCs are as a 9th level spell. You can choose to make the area smaller if you desire.

I was thinking of your example of a dragon, and figured that the ability to make any of these enhanced spells happen once per turn on top of your regular ability (mostly) for about 10 turns sounds balanced vs. shapechange.

From Within

Evocation (variable)
Saving Throw: Fortitude Partial. Reflex half.
Spell Resistance: No and Yes. See below.

You pick a target in your line of sight, who's body liquids begin to be replaced into whatever element(s) you choose, his body wracking in pain, stunning them for one round. The target receives a fortitude save for half damage and to negate the stun, but Spell resistance does not apply. This effect deals 6d6 damage per caster level of whatever elements you chose.

At the beginning of your next turn, the target's body violently explodes in either a 40 ft. radius burst dealing 5d6 damage per level, 80 ft. radius burst dealing 3d6 damage per level, or 300 ft. radius burst dealing 2d6 damage per level. A reflex save for half is provided, which also allows spell resistance. The original target receives this damage as well.

Any damage with more than one element is divided evenly among all elements used.

hope you guys like either of these.

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-15, 01:17 AM
Unleash the Evocations

Conjuration? (not quite sure)
Level: Sor/Wis 5th or 7th?
Duration: 1 round per level.

You tap into primal universal energies, creating a rift between planes centered on you, destabilizing the area around you, a font of raw energy. While this area is unstable, all evocations you call upon double the damage they deal. Each evocation you cast reduces the available energy from the rift that you can safely use. You can use one evocation for every 5 caster levels you posses before you must release the rift, which happens as part of the casting of the last evocation or its duration runs out, whichever happens first.

You could actually make this a set of spells, start at 5th level by just enhancing the next evocation. then the 9th level version maybe triples and simple has a duration, no charges?

And yes, I know its not an evocation (please don't flame me too hard, I thought it fit here)

Good premise, well implemented. Strikes me as a transmutation effect, actually, since it's modifying your ability to cast spells. (Divination?)

Elemental Soul

Evocation (variable)
Duration: 1 round per 2 levels.
Saving Throw: See below.
Spell Resistance: See below.

You tap into your very soul, that of a powerful mage whose had a lifetime of elemental forces at his command. Doing this grants you the ability to create one elemental effect each turn as a swift action. This effect duplicates one of the following spells:

chain lightning, cone of cold, fireball, flame strike, lightning bolt, Wall of fire

The effect however differs in several ways:

The effect has a damage cap of 50 caster levels. Each effect is under the equivalent of the Empowered Spell Feat, Enlarge Spell Feat, Silent Spell Feat, Still Spell Feat, Widen Spell Feat.

If you choose to replicate a Wall of fire, the time increases by one step to a move action.

You choose what element the effect has from among acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. You may instead choose positive or negative energy, but this turns the effect into a move action. You may instead choose a force effect, but this turns the effect into a standard action.

If the effect uses cold, electricity, or fire, it is a reflex save and deals 1.5 damage. If the effect uses acid, sonic, or force, it is a fortitude save and bypasses spell resistance. If the effect uses positive or negative energy, it is a will save and its area is doubled.

The effects DCs are as a 9th level spell. You can choose to make the area smaller if you desire.

I was thinking of your example of a dragon, and figured that the ability to make any of these enhanced spells happen once per turn on top of your regular ability (mostly) for about 10 turns sounds balanced vs. shapechange.

It kind of sucks that while every effect you create is Stilled and Silenced, the spell itself is not. Also, what is it with everyone in this thread and not giving these new awesome spells to warmages? Why the warmage hate?

The spell itself is good though. Flavorful, lasts an entire encounter, which is rare for an evocation, and yet still feels instantaneous. The only real problem is that it devalues one of the very few boons a sorcerer gets (the ability to spam low level spells regardless of the number of encounters per day) by giving wizards the ability to simply blast out low level effects every round for free (while they spend the actual round gating or summoning or painting their nails, whatever.)

From Within

Evocation (variable)

You pick a target in your line of sight, who's body liquids begin to be replaced into whatever element(s) you choose, his body wracking in pain, stunning them for one round. The target receives a fortitude save for half damage and to negate the stun, but Spell resistance does not apply. This effect deals 6d6 damage per caster level of whatever elements you chose.

At the beginning of your next turn, the target's body violently explodes in either a 40 ft. radius burst dealing 5d6 damage per level, 80 ft. radius burst dealing 3d6 damage per level, or 300 ft. radius burst dealing 2d6 damage per level. A reflex save for half is provided, which also allows spell resistance. The original target receives this damage as well.

Any damage with more than one element is divided evenly among all elements used.

hope you guys like either of these.

See, here's the problem with this spell, and it's not what you think it is. The problem isn't how much damage it deals. As a single-target 9th level spell, 120d6 of elemental damage is pretty reasonable. The problem is that sheer amount of dice rolling. Seriously. No one will want to roll 120d6, and that's the problem, because you miss out on the ability to roll a huge fistful of dice simply because the huge fistful stepped over the line between awesome and ridiculous/tedious. That's why you just need to use a higher dice damage instead, find that sweet spot!

Know what I'd suggest? 2d20 points of damage per caster level, maximum 40d20. That's both highly damaging, insanely awesome for the player, and not quite broken. (You can't mess with its spell slot pre-epic anyway, so an average of 400 energy damage at a single target with a save for half at 20th level is about as good as a save-or-die)

Zakaroth
2011-11-15, 06:21 AM
I know you want to ignore spell resistance with these, but there's already a precedent for that. Conjuration spells can ignore spell resistance, and they ALWAYS do it with reduced damage and few other effects. Direct damage just isn't the wizard's schtick (at least, not without some attack rolls or failed saving throws leading into it.)

For example; the Orb spells. They dont allow for spell resistance because they just create a sphere of energy, which on impact exposes the target to those energies. Its not magically altering the target (like disintegrate does), so no SR applies.
However, I will think about SR for half damage, maybe get some more opinions on this. Yes or no to SR for half damage

Seriously? Lets bring this in perspective. At lvl 15; Mod +7? The missiles deal around 25 + 35 = 60 damage. This with limited uses a day, against a single target and requires all of them to hit. A rogue that sneak attacks at this level and would also hit with each attack would deal +24d6 (or +84) from sneak attack alone.

I think we just have different opinions about what 9th level evocations should be capable of. I want them to indeed compare to spells like Wail of the Banshee, Shapechange etc.

See, here's the problem with this spell, and it's not what you think it is. The problem isn't how much damage it deals. As a single-target 9th level spell, 120d6 of elemental damage is pretty reasonable. The problem is that sheer amount of dice rolling. Seriously. No one will want to roll 120d6, and that's the problem, because you miss out on the ability to roll a huge fistful of dice simply because the huge fistful stepped over the line between awesome and ridiculous/tedious. That's why you just need to use a higher dice damage instead, find that sweet spot!

Know what I'd suggest? 2d20 points of damage per caster level, maximum 40d20. That's both highly damaging, insanely awesome for the player, and not quite broken. (You can't mess with its spell slot pre-epic anyway, so an average of 400 energy damage at a single target with a save for half at 20th level is about as good as a save-or-die)

Valid point. An alternative would be to change along the lines of 1d10+X per CL. Fair amount of dice rolling, plus added consistency. Which is nice for a 9th level spell. Hmmm, think I will implement this in the Pillars of Threefold Calamity as well.

Eldest
2011-11-15, 07:57 AM
Quick point: the uttercold discriptor (which you use in the frost nova description) actually means something that is half cold energy, half [some sort of evil energy I forgot]. So you might want to change that word in the description.

Qwertystop
2011-11-15, 08:23 AM
Mind spoilering that picture?

Also, the spells look cool. No good at judging spells on balance though.

motionmatrix
2011-11-15, 10:48 AM
Good premise, well implemented. Strikes me as a transmutation effect, actually, since it's modifying your ability to cast spells. (Divination?)

Yeah, I really could not peg the school. Adding the rift part fluff allowed me to cement it in conjuration.

It kind of sucks that while every effect you create is Stilled and Silenced, the spell itself is not. Also, what is it with everyone in this thread and not giving these new awesome spells to warmages? Why the warmage hate?

No hate for the warmage! I just didn't think of him. I figured anyone who will play a class that should have this spell should be able to add it, assuming the DM agrees that evocation is weak.

Two reasons for not being Still and Silent: Its a 9th level spell. You will probably already have some types of buffs up. It is thematically proper for a wizard to spend a full round summoning the primeval energies he is about to unleash. And you more than make up for it in the next few rounds, as far as action economy is concerned.

I was considering adding Polar ray and scorching ray to the list of replicable spells. what do you think? anything else that should be there?

The spell itself is good though. Flavorful, lasts an entire encounter, which is rare for an evocation, and yet still feels instantaneous. The only real problem is that it devalues one of the very few boons a sorcerer gets (the ability to spam low level spells regardless of the number of encounters per day) by giving wizards the ability to simply blast out low level effects every round for free (while they spend the actual round gating or summoning or painting their nails, whatever.)

As a 9th level spell, it should have the capacity to dwarf others (including other wizards) when it is cast. And there is no reason a sorcerer can't have the spell as well. Doing the same as the wizard, or throwing even more low level spells around than normal.

I kept it d6s since I just read an argument earlier (maybe on this thread, not sure) that made sense to use d6's if you are using large numbers of dice, just because everyone is likely to have more d6s than anything else.

I know the spell uses a lot of dice, and is totally counterproductive to what I state earlier in the thread, but I wasn't sure how you guys would react to the multiplier idea, but this can be tweaked.

Perhaps change it to (1d6 + Int mod) X (CL X 4), for the single target. And the following would drop to 1d6 + int x cl x3, then 1d6 + int x cl x 2, finally the largest area being 1d6 + int x cl. But I am not sure that will fly.

Assuming a 30 int (+10) 20th level wizard is casting this would mean the single target gets 11-16 x 20 = 220-320 x 4 = 880-1280 damage on a failed fortitude save, no SR. Everyone in a 40 ft. radius would take 660-960, or 440-640 in a 80 ft. radius, or 220-320 in a 300 ft. radius. On failed reflex saves, which allow SR. Is that too broken with the new evocation caps we are aiming at? If you go by ratio, a 5th level wizard with a well aimed fireball can deal about 50% damage to a reasonable amount of targets of a proper CR, so I figure this should up the ante, maybe dealing 75% damage (although reflex save/evasion, resistances, and SR still apply, which will decrease that number dramatically). I mean most non-evokers have had several save or die options, assuming you are only using core. By this point they have aoe save or die.

If the main target of the spell has evasion and a reasonable reflex save (and if he has evasion, chances are he does) he negates the secondary damage altogether (which bothers me a bit, since it is "exploding" from his body). perhaps a clause there of some type.

motionmatrix
2011-11-18, 03:54 PM
my rewrite:

From Within
Evocation (variable)

You pick a target in your line of sight, who's body liquids begin to be replaced into whatever element(s) you choose, his body wracking in pain, stunning them for one round. The target receives a fortitude save for half damage and to negate the stun, but Spell resistance does not apply. This effect deals 2d6+int modifier + caster level, this is the base damage. This number is multiplied by 1d4+1.

At the beginning of your next turn, the target's body violently explodes in either a 40 ft. radius burst dealing the base damage multiplied by 1d4, 80 ft. radius burst dealing the base damage multiplied by 1d3, or 300 ft. radius burst dealing the base damage multiplied by 1d2. A reflex save for half is provided, which also allows spell resistance. The original target receives this damage as well.

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-18, 04:29 PM
No PEACH for my Magic Missile Swarm?

Chronos
2011-11-18, 04:31 PM
The dice roller on my iPod can't even do 120d6 (it caps out at 100 dice). If you can't roll it with real, physical dice, and you also can't roll it with a program, the spell is busted.

Oh, and another problem with Energon Lash:

Upon learning or preparing this spell you choose one of the following energy types; cold, electricity, fire, negative or sonic. This spell gains the respective descriptor.If I'm reading this right, this means that a wizard can scribe the spell into his book once and prepare a different energy each day, while a sorcerer can only get one energy type out of it, unless he spends multiple spells known on it. Wizards are already better than sorcerers; they don't need the extra help. Split it up into multiple spells, so the wizard at least has to spend more pages on it. Or make the element chosen at casting time, but that's probably too good for a 1st-level.

motionmatrix
2011-11-18, 10:01 PM
Oooh oooh! I want to swarm people with magic missiles! The Force Missile Mage from Dragon Compendium was the best example of fan service for 3.5 since every elf subrace ever written!

By the way, you should put all of these spells on the poor warmage's spell list too. Blasting is all he has. Don't take that away from him.

Magic Missiles of Doom
Evocation
Level: Sorc/Wiz 9, Warmage 9
Range: Medium
Target: One creature per level, no two of which may be more than 30 ft apart.
Saving Throw: None
SR: Yes

This spell functions exactly like magic missile except that it creates 5 missiles per caster level, to a maximum of 100 missiles, and each missile deals 2d4+2 damage. No single creature may be targeted by more than 20 missiles.

No PEACH for my Magic Missile Swarm?

It should be range long, it is a 9th level spell!

Targets within 60ft. of each other.

100 of 2d4+2 = 1000, max 200 to any particular target. Nice, very fitting.

Shield spell still blocks it? perhaps it just cuts damage in half. If so, pump the damage dramatically, a 9th level spell is reduced by a level 1 is pretty big deal.

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-18, 10:05 PM
It should be range long, it is a 9th level spell!

Targets within 60ft. of each other.

100 of 2d4+2 = 1000, max 200 to any particular target. Nice, very fitting.

Shield spell still blocks it? perhaps it just cuts damage in half. If so, pump the damage dramatically, a 9th level spell is reduced by a level 1 is pretty big deal.

All good points!

Zakaroth
2011-11-19, 11:52 AM
The dice roller on my iPod can't even do 120d6 (it caps out at 100 dice). If you can't roll it with real, physical dice, and you also can't roll it with a program, the spell is busted.

Oh, and another problem with Energon Lash:
If I'm reading this right, this means that a wizard can scribe the spell into his book once and prepare a different energy each day, while a sorcerer can only get one energy type out of it, unless he spends multiple spells known on it. Wizards are already better than sorcerers; they don't need the extra help. Split it up into multiple spells, so the wizard at least has to spend more pages on it. Or make the element chosen at casting time, but that's probably too good for a 1st-level.

Good points. I will see how to fix it, may even make it sorcerer only spell! Ha!

I agree. How about it would cut the damage, like suggested, and break/destroy the shield spell. As if it is overloaded by the barrage of missiles.

Al also think you should make the damage a fixed number, otherwise require way to many rolls. Something like 6 damage per missile? Or/and group several missiles on a single attack roll, like 5 or so.

motionmatrix
2011-11-19, 02:56 PM
Two things:

The magic missile swarm damage as of right now would actually be 400-1000 with any one target taking 40-200. I think you have to up it somehow. More missiles, they deal a bit more damage.

Also, yea totally destroy shield spells, FTW!

NeoSeraphi
2011-11-19, 03:04 PM
Two things:

The magic missile swarm damage as of right now would actually be 400-1000 with any one target taking 40-200. I think you have to up it somehow. More missiles, they deal a bit more damage.

Also, yea totally destroy shield spells, FTW!

2d4+2 has a minimum of 4 damage, and if you can be hit by up to 20 missiles, that's 80 damage minimum, and 200 damage maximum. Is that better?

Qwertystop
2011-11-19, 05:06 PM

Yeah, but by the time you've got 9th level spells, who bothers with Sheild? AC doesn't exactly matter much, and Magic Missile isn't very common.

Also, technically, Sheild only blocks the spell Magic Missile by RAW, not other thematically-similar spells.