PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me some games please

Starwulf
2011-11-14, 02:33 AM
As every year, I've been asked to give a couple of suggestions for stuff I'd like for Christmas, both from my wife, and from my parents. This year, I'm at a bit of a loss. I've come up with a couple of games, but for some reason, I'm drawing a big blank on games that have recently come out.

The following is both a list of games I'd like, and games I already have, or have at least played, and greatly enjoyed. Based on it, I'd appreciate if my fellow playgrounders could recommend me some games(recent ones, say, within the last 3 years).

Skyrim
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2
Dark Souls
Professor Layton the and Last Spectre
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Dragon Quest VI
Dead Island
Final Fantasy Dissidia 012
Dead Space

My only stipulation is absolutely no shooters in the vein of Far Cry, Resistance, Call of Duty, Gears of War, or Battlefield. Not my type of games.

Zevox
2011-11-14, 02:52 AM
Well, it'd probably help if you mentioned what systems you have, though we can guess some from the games you listed.

If you liked Dragon Quest 6, odds are very strong you'll like Radiant Historia. It's a DS JRPG centered around a time-traveling story, with gameplay mechanics that involve small-scale control of time by allowing you to easily swap your characters' positions in the turn order, and focused on building combos by having your characters act one after the other, with each successive attack becoming more powerful. It's one of the best games on the DS, and I definitely recommend it.

For a JRPG that is more different from Dragon Quest 6, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor. It's a hybrid of tactical RPG and standard turn-based RPG, with a fantastic story. The demon-training and fusing that is the centerpiece of the gameplay is also not unlike the Dragon Quest Monsters games. Like Radiant Historia, one of the best the DS has to offer, and I'd highly recommend it. And if you have a 3DS it got a remake for that, Devil Survivor Overclocked, which adds voice acting (though from what I've heard that part's not that great) and additional content. Just be warned that it's a rather challenging game - not as much so as the Shin Megami Tensei series usually is, but still not easy by any means. (Then again, you like Dark Souls, which is another Atlus title famed for its difficulty, so you may be fine there.)

I'd be remiss to not add the third great DS JRPG, The World Ends With You. It's not at all similar to Dragon Quest unfortunately, so I can't be as sure that you'd like it, but it's great nonetheless, with very unique gameplay that makes significant use of the touch screen, plus an interesting story.

You may also want to try Batman: Arkham Asylum or the recently-released Arkham City, if you haven't yet. They're great action-adventure games even if you're not a Batman fan (I'm not). Probably the best games of that genre that I've played outside of Zelda and Devil May Cry.

Beyond that, I'm not entirely sure what to recommend, at least without knowing which non-Wii console you have (since you have Dark Souls you must have one or the other, but I can't tell which from the list).

Zevox

psilontech
2011-11-14, 04:36 AM
Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Dumbledore lives
2011-11-14, 04:53 AM
Well if you like fighting games there is always Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 which is coming out sometime at the end of November, and should be amazing, with very stylish combat even if you're not to into learning combos and all that.

Seeing as you have a wii there is also a bunch of good 2d platformers, which I don't see on your list but everyone likes Mario right? Stuff like Rayman Origins which comes out in a couple of days, and Kirby: Return to Dreamland which came out a couple of weeks ago are fun, and also better with a partner, though I don't know if your wife games, some other platformers like Kirby's Epic Yarn or Donkey Kong Returns from last year.

I don't know if you've played the Assassin's Creed series, but the series as a whole is really fun, third person action, and some of the best multiplayer I've ever played with the most recent one Brotherhood, which is promised to improve in the upcoming Revelations. Admittedly if you haven't played the previous ones you might be a bit lost on the story in Revelations, but I figure it'll still be quite a fun game, with great single and multiplayer.

Starwulf
2011-11-14, 06:42 AM
Ooooh, yeah, I apologize: Wii, PSP, DS, Xbox 360, PC. Also, I'll be more specific, I was half asleep when I made this post. I enjoy Action-Adventure Games, RPG games(ALL variation of RPGs), Puzzle games, Platformers, some Sports games, and the occasional fighting game(Soul Calibur mainly)

In order(I"m not going to quote because two of the posts are sizable)

Radiant Historia I've heard of, never played, sounds very interesting. I"ll have to look it up if I can. Thanks!

Aren't there Shin Megami games on the PSP? I've always wanted to play those, but aren't they older games? I don't think I've ever seen one in a store, though admittedly, I never seem to remember them when I am in one, lol.

Batman...hmm, I've never played the first, and I'd hate to pick up in a series without knowing the story of the previous one, even if it's entirely possible to do so. Still, the first one is probably cheap by now, is it on Xbox 360?

Deus Ex Human Revolution! I KNEW there was an important title I had forgotten about! That's an instant "on my list" game, thank you!

The Dreamland Kirby game me and my wife are going to buy as a combined gift for ourselves for Christmas, we both want to play it, as it looks like it would be fun, and somewhat similar in style to Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, which we both immensely enjoyed.

I have the First Assassins Creed, and have not played it yet >< I keep meaning to though!

Zevox
2011-11-14, 12:15 PM
Well if you like fighting games there is always Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 which is coming out sometime at the end of November,
Actually, it's coming out tomorrow. I'd highly recommend it and/or BlazBlue: Continuum Shift if you like fighting games, though that is my personal taste. You may find you prefer a different style of fighting games, like Street Fighter 4, the lastest Mortal Kombat, or Soul Calibur 4.

Aren't there Shin Megami games on the PSP? I've always wanted to play those, but aren't they older games? I don't think I've ever seen one in a store, though admittedly, I never seem to remember them when I am in one, lol.
Shin Megami Tensei is a big series with numerous sub-series - and no, they're not all older games; the series continues to produce new games to this day. Some are on the PSP (mainly remakes of the Persona sub-series*), yes, and most are on the PS2 or PS1, but there are a couple on the DS. Devil Survivor and Strange Journey. Devil Survivor is the better of the two without a doubt, but Strange Journey is pretty good if you like highly challenging dungeon crawling (because that's pretty much the entire game in a nutshell - pretty standard SMT story, albeit with an interesting setup to begin with, and a whole ton of dungeon crawling and turn-based combat).

*Speaking of, there's a Persona 3 remake on the PSP - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable - and I can't recommend Persona 3 highly enough. It's one of my two favorite games of all, alongside its sequel Persona 4. It's just plain fantastic, with some of the best writing in any video game, and challenging combat. The PSP remake even added the option to play as a female main character, which actually changes quite a bit.

Batman...hmm, I've never played the first, and I'd hate to pick up in a series without knowing the story of the previous one, even if it's entirely possible to do so. Still, the first one is probably cheap by now, is it on Xbox 360?
Both games are on the 360, yep. Playing Arkham Asylum first would likely be a decent idea - one important plot point in Arkham City is based on the events of Asylum, and though it's not really necessary to have the back story, it would probably be nice. But yeah, Arkham Asylum should be easy to get ahold of now.

And since you have a 360 instead of a PS3, I can recommend my favorite 360 game: Tales of Vesperia. It's a JRPG with action-oriented combat, and a very good story. It even allows you to play co-op with up to four people controlling different party members in combat, if you like that sort of thing.

Zevox

Illieas
2011-11-14, 12:35 PM
As every year, I've been asked to give a couple of suggestions for stuff I'd like for Christmas, both from my wife, and from my parents. This year, I'm at a bit of a loss. I've come up with a couple of games, but for some reason, I'm drawing a big blank on games that have recently come out.

The following is both a list of games I'd like, and games I already have, or have at least played, and greatly enjoyed. Based on it, I'd appreciate if my fellow playgrounders could recommend me some games(recent ones, say, within the last 3 years).

Skyrim
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2
Dark Souls
Professor Layton the and Last Spectre
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Dragon Quest VI
Dead Island
Final Fantasy Dissidia 012
Dead Space

My only stipulation is absolutely no shooters in the vein of Far Cry, Resistance, Call of Duty, Gears of War, or Battlefield. Not my type of games.

I will be your rare DS game guy
Ghost trick
999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
Super scribblenauts
They are all strong puzzle game scribblenauts being more sand boxy.
for the manual dexterity trauma center series i a good one but damn is it hard

Wii selection
LOZ:Skyward sword is next week. it hasn't been reviewed but i haven't met a zelda i haven't liked
Donkey kong Country returns
New super marion bros Wii
Super mario galaxy 2

PSP
Valkyria Chronicles 2
Kingdom hearts: Birth by Sleep

PS3
Valkyria chronicles
(yeah it doesn't fit the 3 year thing but damn it this game deserved more attention)
Heavy Rain
( a good video game thriller)