PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Heirophant's Companion Familiar

Elric VIII
2011-11-14, 09:53 AM
Some relevant quotes from the Companion Familiar ability:

Upon becoming an arcane hierophant, you must dismiss your familiar, if you have one.

You add your arcane hierophant class level to your arcane spellcasting class level, and determine the Intelligence bonus and special 1abilities of your animal companion accordingly (see the sidebar Familiars, page 53 of the Player’s Handbook).

Emphasis, mine.

So, nowhere in this ability does it require you to have a familiar.

So, if I enter this class as a Wu-Jen/Druid, would my current AC get the abilities of a familiar based on my Wu Jen + AH level?

What if my AC was something from the list of animals that grant bonuses when they are familiars (for instance, a Raven)? Would I get the special bonus if I designate it as my Companion Familiar or does the subject of this ability not actually count as a familiar?

Rising Phoenix
2011-11-14, 10:12 AM
Some relevant quotes from the Companion Familiar ability:

Emphasis, mine.

So, nowhere in this ability does it require you to have a familiar.

So, if I enter this class as a Wu-Jen/Druid, would my current AC get the abilities of a familiar based on my Wu Jen + AH level?

What if my AC was something from the list of animals that grant bonuses when they are familiars (for instance, a Raven)? Would I get the special bonus if I designate it as my Companion Familiar or does the subject of this ability not actually count as a familiar?

Heh, the requirements do not list having the class feature either. Nicely spotted. I guess that RAI would want you to have the class feature.

Coidzor
2011-11-14, 10:13 AM
To your first... seems like a yes.

As to your second... no idea. :/

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-11-14, 11:44 AM
I would say that RAI it's a "stealth" class feature of the Arcane Hierophant, similar in fashion to how the Obtain Familiar feat uses your entire caster level-- including PrCs that would not normally progress your familiar.

Waker
2011-11-14, 02:23 PM
The class doesn't require any kind of familiar or even the ability to have a familiar, so you're in the clear on that bit.
As for the second bit, I would say that you get the bonuses from the familiar.

Elric VIII
2011-11-14, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the clarification, guys.

As for counting as a familiar or not, is being a familiar specifically tied to the Wiz/Sor class feature or is it tied to the table of abilities (i.e. - the one referenced in the AH ability)?

Coidzor
2011-11-14, 10:04 PM
You can use obtain familiar to get a familiar as an arcane caster, so I wouldn't say so, necessarily.