PDA

View Full Version : Character needs reading material

Lifeson
2011-11-14, 11:24 AM
So, I've created a character who hoards a library on her person at any time. So, apart from Tomes, I'm wondering if there's any magic books I can use to fill the library and not be just a bunch of bland +2 knowledge (basketweaving) type things.

vitkiraven
2011-11-14, 11:43 AM
There was a third party, bastion press I think, with ink and quill, might help. Other than that, lots of int based skill type books maybe, knowledge local for every locality, history for each, martial lore, etc...

Pilo
2011-11-14, 11:46 AM
You could have golem books, arcane spell books, divine spell books...

hushblade
2011-11-14, 12:46 PM
Perhaps you could add some character to his library with a collection of "exotic fiction" or however you would like to phrase that.

Lifeson
2011-11-14, 01:15 PM
I'm looking for more of a wonderous-item type, something like a Blessed Book that offers something more than just an int-skill bonus.

Psyren
2011-11-14, 02:32 PM
There are some nice in-universe D&D books that your character could have a copy of. Both BoVD and BoED are actual tomes in the default setting, for instance. Most of the alternate magic systems have books too; Truenaming for instance has The Analects of Vondellak, The Spotted Libram, Hadrakk's Tome, The Merciless Tome of Fiends, and Splendors Beyond the Veil.

Draz74
2011-11-14, 02:59 PM
MIC has the Tome of Ancient Lore and the Tome of the Stilled Tongue, either of which has special abilities besides just boosting Knowledge skills if you activate its Relic power. Only useful for spellcasters.

Of course there's also the "Book of Infinite Spells" artifact in Core.

hydraa
2011-11-14, 05:43 PM
SBG gives you some basic rules so you can increase your bland +2 to a not quite so bland +6

gorfnab
2011-11-14, 08:28 PM
Tome of Worldly Knowledge (MIC) - a.k.a. the Junior Woodchucks Guidebook

vitkiraven
2011-11-15, 12:44 AM
I cannot believe I forget these great books earlier:
Al Azif
Unausprechlichen Kulten
Liber Ivonis
Celano Fragments
Chaat Aquadingen
De Vermiis Mysteriis
Eltdown Shards
G'harne Fragments
The King in Yellow
Massa Di Requiem Per Shuggay
Ponape Scripture
Pnakotic Manuscripts
R'lyeh Text
Seven Cryptical Books of Hsan
Zanthu Tablets
Revelations of Glaaki
Cultes des Ghoules

Those are some pretty interesting books to come across, they even advance a type of knowledge the player likely doesn't have.
:biggrin:

NNescio
2011-11-15, 01:22 AM
Tome of Worldly Knowledge (MIC) - a.k.a. the Junior Woodchucks Guidebook

Alternatively...

http://ompldr.org/vYmE4YQ/060809_wiki_1.jpg