PDA

View Full Version : Making Rinzler (Tron: Legacy)

Drakevarg
2011-11-14, 12:44 PM
It always seems like a good idea to have a backup character, and the one I have in mind this time around is to basically make Rinzler from Tron: Legacy. Still mulling over how to do that, so I thought I'd take it to the Playground.

Right now my plan is basically a Warforged Monk dual-wielding Annulats. Maybe throw a bit of Dervish and/or Master Thrower in there.

Feel free to take your own shot at it. Starts out at Level 4, can't use material from any books not found in my signature. I'll try to think up a 4-20 progression myself and get back to you on that.

tyckspoon
2011-11-14, 12:47 PM
Shame you don't have Tome of Battle in there, because you really want Bloodstorm Blade. Without it, you throw your Annulat and it.. flops to the ground. With it, you can get those improbable wall-bounces and always-return-to-the-thrower flings.

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-14, 01:07 PM
Are online resources kosher? I think there's a link to Boomerang Daze currently making the rounds.

Doc Roc
2011-11-14, 01:33 PM
boomerng daze and ricochet are mandatory, and if you run monk, nothing you do will matter compared to how much you'll suck for being a monk.

Doktor Per
2011-11-14, 02:21 PM
Speaking as someone who's playing Rinzler as a gruff Vampire Hunter via Inglorious Basterds and Uncharted.

You take a level of Fighter for the Exotic Shield Proficiency (Because you will be wanting the Dwarven Axe Buckler), I threw in a couple of ranger level for obvious reasons. You might want Constructs as your favored enemy (Programs, you know), though you might want to change that up as I did, for that personal touch.
Then you follow that with the typical Warblade -> Bloodstorm Blade thing. Then you might want something from Exotic Weapon Master (some of the tricks are quite neat) or Master Thrower to top it all off.

Thankfully for me, I am playing Rinzler in a Gestalt game. So on the other side, I have two levels of Swordsage (hello Wis to AC in black leather with glowie bits, and jumping 20 feet as a swift action) which happily coincide with Ranger, with the rest being chockful of Scout with the usual Swift Hunter hijinks.

Drakevarg
2011-11-14, 04:29 PM
Shame you don't have Tome of Battle in there, because you really want Bloodstorm Blade. Without it, you throw your Annulat and it.. flops to the ground. With it, you can get those improbable wall-bounces and always-return-to-the-thrower flings.

+1 Returning Annulat. That problem is easily solved, at least.

Are online resources kosher?

No. Meatspace books, or nothing.

TroubleBrewing
2011-11-14, 04:36 PM
No. Meatspace books, or nothing.

Drag. There's some sweet articles with good stuff out there.

tyckspoon
2011-11-14, 04:42 PM
+1 Returning Annulat. That problem is easily solved, at least..

Not..really. Returning is *terrible* for this kind of thing, once you're wanting to make full attacks; the Returning weapon only comes back to you at the start of your next turn. If you want to make multiple attacks with them you have to buy multiple weapons, and the ones you don't have enough hands to catch just pile up at your feet so you have to blow extra actions picking them back up. Bloodstorm Blade instantly returns the weapon, letting you use a singular weapon for all your attacks (or fluffing it as ricocheting/ hooking/slicing it through multiple enemies in one throw if you want it a bit more accurate to the movie.)

Drakevarg
2011-11-14, 04:50 PM
Not..really. Returning is *terrible* for this kind of thing, once you're wanting to make full attacks; the Returning weapon only comes back to you at the start of your next turn. If you want to make multiple attacks with them you have to buy multiple weapons, and the ones you don't have enough hands to catch just pile up at your feet so you have to blow extra actions picking them back up. Bloodstorm Blade instantly returns the weapon, letting you use a singular weapon for all your attacks (or fluffing it as ricocheting/ hooking/slicing it through multiple enemies in one throw if you want it a bit more accurate to the movie.)

Fair enough. I'll have to cave and buy ToB eventually. In the meantime, is there any superior alternatives in the books I actually have access to?

Drakevarg
2011-11-15, 04:56 PM
Well, I've got a working prototype. Ranger 2/Monk 1/Fighter 2/Swashbuckler 1/Dervish 10/Master Thrower 4

Rinzler Mk. III
Race: Warforged
{table=head]Level|Class|HD|BAB|Special|Feats

1|Ranger 1|1d8|+1|Favored Enemy (Constructs)|Mithral Body, Track

2|Ranger 2|2d8|+2|--|Two-Weapon Fighting

3|Monk 1|3d8|+2|Flurry of Blows, Unarmed Strike, AC Bonus|Stunning Fist, Weapon Focus (Annulat)

4|Fighter 1|3d8+1d10|+3|--|Dodge

5|Fighter 2|3d8+2d10|+4|--|Mobility

6|Swashbuckler 1|3d8+3d10|+5|--|Weapon Finesse, Combat Expertise

7|Dervish 1|3d8+4d10|+6/+1|Dervish Dance (1/Day), Movement Mastery|--

8|Dervish 2|3d8+5d10|+7/+2|--|--

9|Dervish 3|3d8+6d10|+8/+3|Dervish Dance (2/Day)|Spring Attack, Point Blank Shot

10|Dervish 4|3d8+7d10|+9/+4|Dance of Death|--

11|Dervish 5|3d8+8d10|+10/+5|Dervish Dance (3/Day)|--

12|Dervish 6|3d8+9d10|+11/+6/+1|Improved Reaction|Precise Shot

13|Dervish 7|3d8+10d10|+12/+7/+2|Dervish Dance (4/Day), Elaborate Parry|--

14|Dervish 8|3d8+11d10|+13/+8/+3|--|--

15|Dervish 9|3d8+12d10|+14/+9/+4|Dervish Dance (5/Day), Tireless Dance|Improved Two-Weapon Fighting

16|Dervish 10|3d8+13d10|+15/+10/+5|A Thousand Cuts|--

17|Master Thrower 1|4d8+13d10|+16/+11/+6/+1|Two With One Blow|Quick Draw

18|Master Thrower 2|5d8+13d10|+17/+12/+7/+2|Evasion|Greater Two-Weapon Fighting

19|Master Thrower 3|6d8+13d10|+18/+13/+8/+3|Doubletoss|--

20|Master Thrower 4|7d8+13d10|+19/+14/+9/+4|--|Snatch Arrows[/table]

I might change it up a bit so I take Master Thrower before Dervish. Any other suggestions?

Edit: I may want to consider dumping Monk since I only grabbed it for Flurry of Blows, and it pretty much hinges on me being able to convince my DM to let me trade one of the special monk weapons for the Annulat.