PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge Devotion and Class Skills

NBoomer
2011-11-14, 02:22 PM
If my Cleric of Oghma has Knowledge and Travel as his domains, and he wants to sacrifice Knowledge Domain for the Devotion feat, do I lose the Knowledge skills as class skills except for the one gained from the Devotion feat?

tyckspoon
2011-11-14, 02:25 PM
You'll go back to the default Cleric class skills, so you'll have normal access to Arcana, History, Religion, and the Planes + one of your choice from Knowledge Devotion. Nature (covers like 5 monster Types) and Local (Humanoids) are pretty good choices for Devotion coverage, with an honorable mention for Dungeoneering if your DM is fond of squibbly weird dungeon-dwellers.

kulosle
2011-11-14, 02:30 PM
that is correct. but there are so many ways of adding them to your list.

NBoomer
2011-11-14, 02:40 PM
that is correct. but there are so many ways of adding them to your list.

Some examples, if you would be so kind?

Curmudgeon
2011-11-14, 02:45 PM
Some examples, if you would be so kind?
There's a full list here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19860850/Alternative_ways_to_get_new_Class_skills).

deuxhero
2011-11-14, 02:46 PM
To start, a Cloistered Cleric's gain of all know skills (and 6+int skills) is independent/redundent of the bonus know domain, so it can be traded away.

Lower BAB and HD mean nothing once you prc out and Divine Power sets your BAB to max anyways.

NBoomer
2011-11-14, 03:07 PM
Thanks for that list.

I just checked the book and it says that Cloistered Cleric does get the knowledge skills from the domain, and not as a class skills. Has this been errata'ed or something?

Curmudgeon
2011-11-14, 03:14 PM
Nope; no errata. deuxhero apparently misread this.

candycorn
2011-11-14, 04:08 PM
Correct.

From cloistered cleric skill listing:

Class Skills

The cloistered cleric's class skill list includes Decipher Script, Speak Language, and all Knowledge skills (from the Knowledge domain, see below).
The rules text explicitly states that the source of the knowledge skills is the Knowledge domain. If you lose the knowledge domain, you lose those class skills.

kulosle
2011-11-14, 04:44 PM
there are also level dips combined with able learner. ancestral knowledge helps reduce MAD if you happen to be a dwarf. and i seam to remember an item that gave you them as class skills. does that sound familiar to any one?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-11-15, 08:54 AM
The easiest way is the Education feat from the ECS, it gives you all knowlege skills as class skills, might be level 1 only though.

Sir Enigma
2012-09-09, 08:06 AM
If you're going to use a feat on this, though, wouldn't it be better just to take Knowledge Devotion with that feat and keep the domain?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-09-09, 08:44 AM
If you're going to use a feat on this, though, wouldn't it be better just to take Knowledge Devotion with that feat and keep the domain?

Yes, though it would have to wait until 3rd level. I'd still just take the knowledge domain and spend a feat on the devotion instead of spending a feat on the class skills, Education or Able Learner or similar won't give you the rest of the Knowledge domain's benefits (spell list).

Esgath
2012-09-09, 11:49 AM
There is also the Paragnostic Assembly from Complete Champion. If you manage to get up to level 3 in this society, you gain some skills as class skills including knowledge skills. Doesn't cost a feat, but may take some time and money.