PDA

View Full Version : spellwarp boosting

leegi0n
2011-11-14, 04:56 PM
Fireball does 10d6 damage at any level above 10. It is also Spellwarpable. Split Ray adds one ray to any ray spell you cast. One 10d6 ray + one 10d6 ray = 2 rays totaling 20d6.

1d6 SA from Spellthief, 1d6 SA from Unseen Seer, 3d6 Sudden Strike from Spellwarped Sniper. Thats 5d6, totaling us at 25d6 (not 26, sorry).

Then again, spend your swift action to cast Hunter's Eye (the Ranger2 spell you picked up with your Unseen Seer Advanced Learning), and he'll get another 5d6 damage.

How is it he would get an additional 5d6 by casting Hunter's Eye?

The spell descriptor reads: "You gain the ability to perceive the target when it is invisible or ethereal as though using the see invisibility spell, and receive a +20 competence bonus on Perception checks to locate the target. You ignore concealment provided by fog or mist, blur, displacement, invisibility, and similar effects affecting the target, but not concealment provided by darkness."

I'm confused...I doesn't say anything about applying additional sneak attack damage.

Also, if I take energy substitution, then energy admixture, I could theoretically deal double the damage? 25d6 fireball (as above), 25d6 acid?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-11-14, 05:15 PM
Hunter's Eye, PHBII pg. 114/5:
[...] This spell grants you the sneak attack ability. You deal an extra 1d6 points of damage per three caster levels.

Edit in response to your edit: You would double the elemental damage (1X of each type) but not the precision damage.

JohnDaBarr
2011-11-14, 05:19 PM
and it's says that the effect stacks with SA

Reaver225
2011-11-14, 05:24 PM
Just to clarify the other two: The Hunter's Eye you googled is the PATHFINDER version, which is greatly different.

JohnDaBarr
2011-11-14, 06:06 PM
just one thing is bugging me with this spellwarp stuff

the spell you warp keep's its original range or it gets the range of a ray (30 feet)

Edit: really a triple post! lol! sry ppl

JohnDaBarr
2011-11-14, 06:11 PM

the spell you warp keep's its original range or it gets the range of a ray (30 feet)

jindra34
2011-11-14, 06:13 PM

Rays don't have a fixed range by default. And yes it keeps the original range.

Keld Denar
2011-11-14, 06:27 PM
You can still only snipe within 30' (or 60' with a few levels in Spellwarped Sniper). Shooting an 800' long ray of Fireball is useful, but it probably won't get SA dice.

A Split Ray spell is a volley attack, and thus would only get SA once. If you had some SA from being a Spellthief, some more for having levels in Unseen Seer and SWS, and a few from a casting of Hunter's Eye, you'll have a nice little pool of extra dice to tack onto the top of whichever ray hits. You'll have 1 ray that hits for 10d6+SA and 1 ray that hits for just 10d6. The best part is that you don't have to predeclare which ray carries the extra damage, just as long as one of them hits, you get it, and its [Fire] type damage from the same source as the 10d6 [Fire] damage of the ray (so you'd only check Energy Resistance once for the ray, rather than once for the ray and once for the SA damage).

Fax Celestis
2011-11-14, 08:28 PM
If you could figure out how to get wracking touch into a ray, you could Sneak Attack with it from any range.

Ernir
2011-11-14, 09:08 PM
If you could figure out how to get wracking touch into a ray, you could Sneak Attack with it from any range.

I don't know of a way to turn a touch spell into an area spell, but still, interesting.

Doesn't have much to do with Spellwarp Sniping, but Wracking Touch + Ocular Spell should be able to deliver a significant amount of pain on something like an Unseen Seer build.

JohnDaBarr
2011-11-15, 03:40 AM
or simply Reach Spell feat

or couple of Archmage level's

Diarmuid
2011-11-15, 11:26 AM
Sniper's Shot lets you SA from any distance.

leegi0n
2011-11-15, 12:18 PM
Would something like Weapon Finesse (ray), be legit? ...for purposes of ranged touch attacks?

Diarmuid
2011-11-15, 12:28 PM
Ranged touch attackes already use your dex by virtue of being "Ranged" attacks.

leegi0n
2011-11-15, 12:30 PM
Ranged touch attackes already use your dex by virtue of being "Ranged" attacks.

so, weapon finesse would further boost the 'to hit' factor? My concern is what would the finessed "weapon" be?

Fax Celestis
2011-11-15, 12:34 PM
Two things. Weapon Finesse doesn't require you to choose a weapon. Also, ranged attacks already use your Dex mod. Weapon Finesse lets you sub your Dex for your Str when applicable.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-15, 12:38 PM
so, weapon finesse would further boost the 'to hit' factor? My concern is what would the finessed "weapon" be?

Weapon Finesse only affects melee weapons and those that are "light" or have a caveat that they can be finessed. So taking Weapon Finesse would do nothing to your to-hit for a ray. Weapon Focus (Ray) would but its a waste of a feat.

Also, Weapon Finesse applies to all applicable weapons, not just 1.

Swordsage'd! Curse you Fax!

leegi0n
2011-11-15, 12:50 PM
Two things. Weapon Finesse doesn't require you to choose a weapon. Also, ranged attacks already use your Dex mod. Weapon Finesse lets you sub your Dex for your Str when applicable.

Ah yes. Good point. No melee = no need for weapon finesse bonus

leegi0n
2011-11-15, 12:52 PM
Ah yes. Good Point. *feeling a bit stupid for asking*

no melee = no need for weapon finesse...

gah!