PDA

View Full Version : Touch Spell Vs Grappled Enemy

JackRackham
2011-11-14, 09:38 PM
Ok, so here's the scenario: A PC of mine is grappling an enemy and another PC tries to cast a touch spell (finger of death) on the enemy. Is there a chance that he hits his ally? If so, what percent?

This came up in our last session and I ruled..... (Scrubbed, fibbing to avoid embarrassment is lame)

EDIT: Ok, so actually, I initially thought it was a 25% chance and had HIM roll a fortitude save, but we weren't sure of the rule and I couldn't find it, so I retconned it, with the intention of sending an inevitable his way if I was right.

elvengunner69
2011-11-14, 10:01 PM
Cue the "you never fumble" crowd...:smallsmile:

I'd say the only chance would be if there was a fumble - he still needs to be successful in his touch attack. You could always as DM kind of set your own rule if you think it is realistic. I looked through the rules and don't see anything specifically to what you are asking so I'd say fumble only.

excuse me whilst I hide under my desk when the stampede of you should never fumble crowd attacks what I said. :smalleek:

JackRackham
2011-11-14, 10:07 PM
Cue the "you never fumble" crowd...:smallsmile:

I'd say the only chance would be if there was a fumble - he still needs to be successful in his touch attack. You could always as DM kind of set your own rule if you think it is realistic. I looked through the rules and don't see anything specifically to what you are asking so I'd say fumble only.

excuse me whilst I hide under my desk when the stampede of you should never fumble crowd attacks what I said. :smalleek:

I thought there was a RAW chance of hitting one's ally in this case, since a grappled character had some cover (or something). Maybe that only applies to ranged attacks? I don't freaking know.

NNescio
2011-11-14, 10:28 PM
I thought there was a RAW chance of hitting one's ally in this case, since a grappled character had some cover (or something). Maybe that only applies to ranged attacks? I don't freaking know.

Yes, it only applies to ranged attacks. The relevant section can be found under the "Combat Modifiers" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm) table. Defenders in a grapple lose their Dex mod against attackers not involved in the grapple. Ranged attacks also have a random chance of hitting any of the grappling creatures.

Roll randomly to see which grappling combatant you strike. That defender loses any Dexterity bonus to AC.

That line is only present in the "ranged" column, and conspicuously absent from the "melee" one.

elvengunner69
2011-11-14, 11:44 PM
Yes, it only applies to ranged attacks. The relevant section can be found under the "Combat Modifiers" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm) table. Defenders in a grapple lose their Dex mod against attackers not involved in the grapple. Ranged attacks also have a random chance of hitting any of the grappling creatures.

That line is only present in the "ranged" column, and conspicuously absent from the "melee" one.

Good call mate :smallcool:

Ernir
2011-11-15, 06:25 AM
Ok, so here's the scenario: A PC of mine is grappling an enemy and another PC tries to cast a touch spell (finger of death) on the enemy. Is there a chance that he hits his ally? If so, what percent?
Finger of Death (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/fingerOfDeath.htm) does not, interestingly enough, require a touch attack.