PDA

View Full Version : Polished Knight of the Crown V1.0 PEACH before it gos back to the think tank.

PotatoNinja
2011-11-14, 11:47 PM
The Solamnic Order of Knights
http://forums.everything-dragon.com/uploads/gallery/1215647071/med_gallery_1446_5_54355.jpg

The Knight of the Crown

Justification for Changes

Knightly Courage, and Lay on hands i might remove, they seem out of place and maybe necessary and only force this class to become MAD. They're nice if you have the charisma to spare, but if you don't they might become a hindrance.

In my personal campaign, Protection from X spells only offer a +2 bonus to compulsion/mind affecting saves. so the saves offered mean much more to players than they would in a "normal" campaign.

I decided to give them a modified Rage that includes no exhausted stage, or the standard -2 to AC. It's not much, but it helps them find an easy button to push to crank up the damage and survive-ability in a pinch. I decided to stagger it's progression to offer incentive to stick with the class until level 10.

The initiative Modifier is a carry over from the original, i saw no reason to remove it. Same with Armored Mobility.

The blatant rip from factotum was added to allow Knight more diversity and ability to generally deal with situation as they came up. Additions to saves, attacks, and skill checks really help a lack luster melee class do more than just hit stuff.

The displacement/blur affect was added to give them an option to help avoid attacks, but not make them standing walls of invincibility. It's limited to hopefully prevent abuse but remain appealing.

Other abilities remained mostly unchanged due to flavor and application.

The D12 and two good saves are my attempt to make this a sturdy tanking class that can take hits and doesn't have the crippling weakness that is one good save (Fort) fighter guy. I might remove the good will save, and give them stead fast determination as a class ability somewhere past level 5.

The 6 + Int skills are again an attempt to give them some out of combat utility. This might make them MAD because they have alot of skills they can choose. Most of their skills don't require alot of beefing to hit their key numbers though and can be skipped later or magic items can be used to circumvent their necessity. Climb, Swim, Jump & ride all come to mind.

Prerequisites

BAB +3
Fortitude save +3
Knowledge Religion 1

Knight of the Crown

Alignment

A Knight of the Crown’s alignment must Lawful Good.

Hit Die

D12.

Class Skills

The Knight of the Crown's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are CLimb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Handle Animal, Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), (Wis), Knowledge (Nobility) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Swim (Str)

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
6 + Int modifier.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

A Knight of the Crown proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light) and shields (including tower shields).

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fortitude Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|[center]Special|Divine Inspiration Points

1st|+1|+2|+0|+2|Strength of Honor 1/day, Aura of Courage, Divine Inspiration, Lay on Hands|2
2nd|+2|+3|+0|+3|Knightly Courage, Heroic Initiative +1, Divine Cunning|2
3rd|+3|+3|+1|+3|Strength of Honor 2/day,Fight to the death, Divine Bulwark 1/day|2
4th|+4|+4|+1|+4|Armored Mobility, Endurance of Honor|3
5th|+5|+4|+1|+4|Strength of Honor 3/day, Heroic Initiative +2, Divine Protection|3
6th|+6/+1|+5|+2|+5|Might of Honor, Divine Bulwark 2/day|3
7th|+7/+2|+5|+2|+5|Strength of Honor 4/day|4
8th|+8/+3|+6|+2|+6|Heroic Initiative +3, Struggle of Honor, Divine Opportunity|4
9th|+9/+4 |+6|+3|+6|Strength of Honor 5/day, Divine Bulwark 3/day|4
10th|+10/+5|+7|+3|+7|Crown of Knighthood, Indomitable Will|5
[/table][/QUOTE]
Class Features

Divine Inspiration: A Knight of the crown is able to pull forth power, insight, and wisdom from the deity they worship. At the beginning of each encounter they gain a number of Divine inspiration points equal to the amount on the table above as per their class level.

Divine Cunning: At Second level, Before making an attack roll, Damage Roll, or skill check, a Knight of the Crownmay spend one Divine Inspiration point to receive a bonus equal to his Charisma Modifier. This is a free action and can be used on Knight of the Crownr turn or others, and takes no time to activate.

Divine Protection: At 5th level The gods shed their protective Aura around a Knight of the Crown for a brief time, deflecting otherwise deadly attacks. A Knight of the Crown may spend one inspiration point to gain their Charisma Modifier to their AC as a dodge Bonus. This works while wearing Heavy and Medium Armor and is not restricted by maximum Dexterity bonus. This ability can be used at any time and does not have to be on the Knight of the Crown’s turn. This action does not take any time to activate.

Divine Opportunity: At 8th level a Knight of the Crown can spending three Divine Inspiration points may take another standard action during their turn.

Strength of Honor (Su): One per day a Knight of the Crown of first level can gain a +4 moral bonus to their Strength score for a number of rounds equal to 3 + their charisma modifier. For every two additional levels she gains in Knight of the Crown, they can use this ability once more per day. (twice/day at level 3, three times/day at level 5, four times/day at level 7, and 5 times/day at level 9)

Aura of Courage (Su): Beginning at First level, a Knight of the Crown is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects.
This ability functions while the Knight of the Crown is conscious, but not if she is unconscious or dead.

Lay on Hands (Su): Beginning at 1st level, a Knight of the Crown with a Charisma score of 12 or higher can heal wounds (her own or those of others) by touch. Each day he or she can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to her Knight of the Crown level × her Charisma bonus. A Knight of the Crown may choose to divide her healing among multiple recipients, and he or she doesn’t have to use it all at once. Using lay on hands is a standard action. Levels in Knight of the Sword and or Knight of the Rose stack with levels of Knight of the crown for determining how many hit points can be cured with this ability.
Alternatively, a Knight of the Crown can use any or all of this healing power to deal damage to undead creatures. Using lay on hands in this way requires a successful melee touch attack and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. The Knight of the Crown decides how many of her daily allotment of points to use as damage after successfully touching an undead creature.

Knightly Courage (Su): A Knight of the Crown of second level or higher adds his Charisma Modifier (if positive) to all saving throws. This ability does not stack with any other similar ability.

Heroic Initiative (Ex): Staring at second level a Knight of the Crown gains a +1 competence bonus in initiative checks. Thos bonus increases by 1 for every three levels of Knight of the Crown ther-after to a total of +2 at level 5, and +3 at level 8.

Fight to the death (Ex):At third level a Knight of the Crown gains the feat Diehard regardless of whether or not they meet the prerequisites.

Divine Bulwark (Ex): A knight of the Crown cal call upon his deity to protect him in his time of need. Starting at third level, one a day, a Knight of the Crown can call forth a shimmering Aura of light to surround him that functions as the spell Blur with a Caster Level equal to his number of levels in Knight of the Crown. A Knight does not deceive his opponents with illusions, this ability as a divine extraordinary affect that acts as deflection rather than illusory.

For every three levels in Knight of the Crown a character possess he can use this ability one more time per day, for a total of Twice at level 6, and three times at level 9. Upon reaching 9th level, a Knight of the Crown can create a greater affect by burning all three charges of this ability at once. A Knight of the Crown can create the affects of the spell Displacement with a caster level equal the Knight of the Crown's class levels.

Endurance of Honor (Su): When using Strength of Honor a Knight of the Crown of 4th level or higher receives a +4 Bonus to Constitution.

Armoured Mobility (Ex): Beginning at 4th level a Knight of the Crown treats heavy armour as medium armour for all purpose, including running speed. Additionally, armour check penalties for Heavy armour are reduced by 1. This reduction in armour check penalty stacks with those granted by masterwork and Mythral items.

Might of Honor (Su): When using Strength of Honor a Knight of the crown receives a +6 moral bonus to their strength score, instead of 4.

Struggle of Honor (Su): When using Strength of Honor a Knight of the Crown of 8th level or higher receives a +2 Moral bonus to his will saves.

Indomitable Will (Ex): While using Strength of Honor, a Knight of the Crown of 10th level or higher gains a +4 bonus on Will saves to resist enchantment and compulsion spells. This bonus stacks with all other modifiers, including the morale bonus on Will saves he also receives during Strength of Honor.

Crown of the Knighthood (Su): A knight of the crownmay act as if under the spell Heroic Valour spell once per day, the affect Last for 10 minutes. (While under the affects of heroic Valour the Knight of the crown gains a +4 moral bonus on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, and saving throws and 15 temporary hit points)

Considerations on my end for version 1.X

Remove the good will, give them Steadfast Determination @ 5+
Give them maneuver progression in a trade for their Divine inspiration or maybe just tack it one, i am worried this will create to powerful of a melee class though.
Adjust Rage to not scale with level and be a all at once thing that merely progresses.
D10 Hit die

Comments, halps?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-11-15, 12:00 AM
Introducing Divine Inspiration as a mechanic and then only deriving three class abilities to it seems like a waste, especially when one (the extra standard action) is likely to be far superior to the others, and when those others are merely "add +charisma to a roll." That, to me, is a rather boring use of what could be a very interesting mechanic, especially if there were some way to refresh Inspiration points.

If you can't find more to do with the mechanic, I'd cut it in favor of Martial Maneuvers. But I think you can do more with the mechanic: power more interesting abilities with it, allow it to be regained through certain actions of valor...things like that.

PotatoNinja
2011-11-15, 12:10 AM
Ah, i'm very sorry for not including it in the post. Points are refreshed at the start of every encounter, as per factotum. (It did not occur to me that everybody may not know how factotum works)

I could give it more abilities, but it might step on the factotums toes. I could squeeze in a few more, as the one's currently used come straight from the factotum list.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2011-11-15, 12:26 AM
Ah, i'm very sorry for not including it in the post. Points are refreshed at the start of every encounter, as per factotum. (It did not occur to me that everybody may not know how factotum works)

I saw that, and I'm very familiar with the Factotum. Even with that, it didn't impress me as a mechanic. It fits the Factotum, but it doesn't seem like it belongs here: it doesn't feel like something the class needs or wants, especially since it has uninteresting class features tied to it ("+number" is never very exciting), and since there are so few you get every encounter.

As mentioned, I think you could do something much more interesting with a point-based system.

Maybe design attack enhancing powers (channeling divine power) that run off this point system, and restore additional points for attacks against evil creatures, or for protecting your allies, or taking blows for them, or something like that. Make the Knight fight better when he's performing heroic feats by giving him something in exchange for them.

PotatoNinja
2011-11-15, 12:36 AM
Ah, i understand what you are saying now. To small a pool and not enough options to really make it viable.

Point buy system would be pretty nice, I'll work on an expansion for it and maybe bring something to the table in a few days :D My initial thought is to have a base pool that replenishes every encounter. This number could be, say, 5 @ level 10. Then, maybe some actions of valor would replenish the reserve, AND allow you to go over the maximum (which in itself should have a maximum of around double the points you normally have). My only concern is attacking an evil creature can happen upwards of 5-6 times per round, which would make it far to easy to always have enough points to blow every single round.

Again, there's a lot of room for thought and improvement that i'll expand on when i get the time. Just gotta think of ways to balance the system without making is cranked to 11.