PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #815 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2011-11-15, 01:29 AM
New comic is up.

MoonCat
2011-11-15, 01:31 AM
What did Ian just do???

Great to see Haley back though, I've somehow managed to miss her on a short space of time. At least she's nnot pulling a Durkon. :smalltongue:

But that knowledge withholdal is cruel, and you know it. Totally worth it.

blueblade
2011-11-15, 01:36 AM
ELAN!!! Way to slow us down, while still being entirely in character...

Also, the whole Ian conspiracy is looking pretty believable now...

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-15, 01:38 AM
I was just about to go to bed when I see "OOTS #815" next to the OOTS forum. Glad I refreshed the page! :smallbiggrin: Everything is starting to get back together for once! Now all they need is to retrieve V.

What did Ian just do???

Great to see Haley back though, I've somehow managed to miss her on a short space of time. At least she's nnot pulling a Durkon. :smalltongue:

But that knowledge withholdal is cruel, and you know it. Totally worth it.

Batman has this annoying tendency to dissappear just as someone addresses him while turning around to speak to him directly.

Zejety
2011-11-15, 01:38 AM
You are a bad person, Giant, and you know it! :smalltongue:

MoonCat
2011-11-15, 01:41 AM
I was just about to go to bed when I see "OOTS #815" next to the OOTS forum. Glad I refreshed the page! :smallbiggrin: Everything is starting to get back together for once! Now all they need is to retrieve V.

Batman has this annoying tendency to dissappear just as someone addresses him while turning around to speak to him directly.

Heh, me too. Pity it's a school night, or for once I'd actually stay up and be able to follow the entire thread for once.

I think I just lost geek cred for not knowing that already, thanks for telling me! :smallsmile:

(for a few seconds I thought that Durkon was also on the brontosaurous. Then I figured it out)

You are a bad person, Giant, and you know it! :smalltongue:

That wink is one of pure sadism, no doubt about it.

danielmayer
2011-11-15, 01:44 AM
Haha! yet another climatic cliffhanger! Elan aspires to be an epic bard, I bet. :)
Those off-panel-updates speed up many things, while I hope to get some bonus-paper-strips sometime. I miss Malak already.
Great work, Giant, I can't wait for the next strip.
- btw, I have to sit today and tomorrow in awful boring schooling sessions, a fast next update would be *very* greatly appreciated :smallbiggrin:

Loved it, can't wait. And I'm very curious if Tarquin really helps them without making trouble...

Cruiser1
2011-11-15, 01:45 AM
Heh, this isn't the first time (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0283.html) that Elan has said something like this to cause important information to be delayed to the next strip. :smallwink:

legomaster00156
Well, duh, you can't miss a good dramatic pause!

MesiDoomstalker
Heh, me too. Pity it's a school night, or for once I'd actually stay up and be able to follow the entire thread for once.

I think I just lost geek cred for not knowing that already, thanks for telling me! :smallsmile:

(for a few seconds I thought that Durkon was also on the brontosaurous. Then I figured it out)

That wink is one of pure sadism, no doubt about it.

Your welcome! It is fairly late on a school night so your cred is in tack, at least in my view. It took me a second to figure it out what it meant too.

EpsilonShawn
2011-11-15, 01:46 AM
So peg-leg guy wants them to meet up with some associates. Has this 'Ivy' been mentioned before? Probably not by name.

MoonCat
2011-11-15, 01:47 AM
Heh, this isn't the first time (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0283.html) that Elan has said something like this to cause important information to be delayed to the next strip. :smallwink:

Heh, first thing I thought of too.

Your welcome! It is fairly late on a school night so your cred is in tack, at least in my view. It took me a second to figure it out what it meant too.

Yeah, I randomly got up to post on another thread, so I'm glad I still qualify.

So, who thinks that the next strip will be exposition?

random_guy
2011-11-15, 01:48 AM
Ivy is Ian's sister and the peg leg guy's wife.

No comment on Haley saying "gasp" and referring to Roy as "the gladiator I have never met before"? I thought that was amusing considering she criticized Elan for the same thing.

Gift Jeraff
Anyone else hoping for more crayons? :smallbiggrin:

There's a possibility that Nale and/or Sabine are right there listening invisibly. Plus a good chance the archfiends are watching on a HDTV, so whatever Tarquin knows might make its way over to the Linear Guild.

MoonCat
So peg-leg guy wants them to meet up with some associates. Has this 'Ivy' been mentioned before? Probably not by name.

Aunt Ivy, Geoff's wife. Geoff is peg-leg guy, who is the brother in law of Ian, Haley's dad.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-15, 01:49 AM

Ivy is Geoff's (peg-leg guy) wife and Ian's sister. She's been mentioned a few times but I don't have the patience to link them all.

EDIT: Swordsag'd hard!

deuxhero
2011-11-15, 01:49 AM
Favorite line: "See? That probably saved three panels right there."

Love it.

tcrudisi
2011-11-15, 01:50 AM
... :smallfurious:

Okay, okay. Just so everyone knows: I absolutely love OotS and Rich is an amazing writer and comedian.

But dang, after reading this comic, I wanted to call Rich all sorts of mean and inappropriate names that would get me banned. Seriously cruel.

If the next comic doesn't come out within 5 minutes, I'm afraid I might just explode from anticipation.

Seerow
2011-11-15, 01:52 AM
Cue Rich taking a 3 week break before the next update. Just to be extra cruel.

EpsilonShawn
2011-11-15, 01:53 AM
Got it: http://oots.wikia.com/wiki/Hard_Time
Thanks guys.

I'm going to assume that's the main reference on these relations.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-15, 01:54 AM
Heh, first thing I thought of too.

Yeah, I randomly got up to post on another thread, so I'm glad I still qualify.

So, who thinks that the next strip will be exposition?

I second the next comic being exposition. I'm perfectly fine with that too. Explaining all thats going on would be awesome.

Ivy is Ian's sister and the peg leg guy's wife.

No comment on Haley saying "gasp" and referring to Roy as "the gladiator I have never met before"? I thought that was amusing considering she criticized Elan for the same thing.

I was originally going to comment on Haley's Natural 1 on her bluff (which she's so good at that she still beats Tarquin's Sense Motive which is saying ALOT) but I got distracted by Batman. :smalltongue:

Vemynal
2011-11-15, 01:56 AM
That was awesome! =D

Mastikator
2011-11-15, 01:58 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, Elan just pwned every last one of us.

Landis963
2011-11-15, 01:58 AM
:haley: "That gladiator I've never met before is right!"

Uh, Haley? Ian did tell you not to do that during a con, right?

Psyren
2011-11-15, 01:59 AM
Wait... Could it actually be... the main plot?

We've... we've waited for you. So very long.

Psychonaut
2011-11-15, 02:02 AM

Huh. I guess that's where Garrett from the Thief games gets that habit.

Hippopotamus
2011-11-15, 02:06 AM
Elan just plotblocked all of us.

Faltenin
2011-11-15, 02:10 AM
No-one seems too worried about V... serves hir right I suppose.

I loved how Roy was honestly surprised at the disappearance but Belks is taking it a level further with "what men?" :smallbiggrin:

Landis963
2011-11-15, 02:14 AM

For the second time, remember his original lampshade during the Azure City trial?

Xondoure
Classic Elan. :smallbiggrin:

FlawedParadigm
Roy's expression in the last panel is great. I also feel sorry for the Giant for continually having to do panels like panel six due to the crowd of nitpickers on the forum. Heh.

Thanatosia
Er, is Haley's dad going someplace Roy or Haley would know to meet up with him later?

Wanderer
2011-11-15, 02:15 AM
*makes a note* Execute the bard.

Tundar
2011-11-15, 02:16 AM
Great Batman escape. And now it's time for a: Dun dun duuuun!

EpsilonShawn
2011-11-15, 02:17 AM

Very apt, that. But if he hadn't, we would have been in for a quickie or a bit of frisky business before, y'know, time's up.

So. Really. He's helping to make the big event special, you know?

For the second time, remember his original lampshade during the Azure City trial?

Ok. Maybe he really is that much of a jerk.

Silverraptor
2011-11-15, 02:42 AM
After reading this comic, the "Weekend cliffhanger (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0283.html)" comic immediately came to mind.:smallamused:

Teucros
2011-11-15, 02:42 AM
It's good to see that the great bardic traditions are observed :elan:.

Gift Jeraff
2011-11-15, 02:52 AM
I just remembered that #301 was moved in the print version to take place after the "weekend cliffhanger." Maybe book 5 will have a bonus strip with the food guys as #815A. :smallcool:

Gaius
2011-11-15, 03:05 AM
Oh, Giant, you tease. :smalltongue:

I'm looking forward to all the Draketoothy goodness on the next page.
... Probably. C'mooooon, no scene transition, no scene transition...

Onyavar
2011-11-15, 03:09 AM
I was just about to go to bed when I see "OOTS #815" next to the OOTS forum.
Well, speaking for myself, I just got up :-)

Especially, since Roy doesn't have a gladiator uniform anymore, which makes it even more unbelievable.

Great comic, Giant! Though, the docking process of the dinos would have been awesome.

Burner28
2011-11-15, 03:15 AM
Nice:smallsmile:

fibonacciseries
2011-11-15, 03:18 AM
And Roy is the DM's best friend; the PC who's actually trying to keep the party on the rails...

jidasfire
2011-11-15, 03:34 AM
So I have to wonder: was Belkar lying to cover up for Ian and Geoff, or did he have another classic moment where he failed a spot check?

Also, it's nice to see that the Order is just about back together (once V returns), and we'll finally learn at least something about Girard. I am betting Tarquin doesn't know everything, though.

DougTheHead
2011-11-15, 03:38 AM
I just realized this is the first time Roy's had to deal with the "Elan in stereo" phenomenon. In a couple minutes he's going to be wishing Thog was still there to bash his head through some more pillars.

Flame of Anor
2011-11-15, 03:41 AM
So I have to wonder: was Belkar lying to cover up for Ian and Geoff, or did he have another classic moment where he failed a spot check?

The former, clearly. He was covering for them with his "clumsy sidekick physical comedy", and there's no reason he wouldn't be still doing it now.

Also, I'm just worried something will happen to Tarquin before he gets the chance to give us some good exposition. But he's a high-level character, surrounded by five other high-level characters, so it would really be stretching credibility if some attack were to be a significant threat. Or really to happen at all. But I guess the Giant can make anything plausible... :smallwink:

ThePhantasm
2011-11-15, 03:42 AM
Dang those dramatic pauses!!! :smallfurious:

:smalltongue: Loved the strip. Eager for the next one.

snikrept
2011-11-15, 03:42 AM
Comic #816:
Meanwhile in Azure City....

ShikomeKidoMi
2011-11-15, 03:47 AM
Comic #816:

You mean Goblotopia, right?

And I'm still trying to decide if Tarquin really thinks Roy is a random adventurer or knows he's part of his son's party and just doesn't want to bother letting on. Remember this is the guy who is willing to play the 'general' to someone else's 'king' as long as he's got the real power, so we know Tarquin is fine with letting people think less of him when it's advantageous.

Of course, he also thinks life is a lot like a story, so he may assume Roy's appearance at the same time as his son means he's destined to join Elan's party rather than that he's already in it.

DougTheHead
2011-11-15, 03:48 AM
Another thing I noticed:

"And if you think [the amnesty papers] are good for anything but wiping your ass, you don't understand Tarquin at all!"

Does Ian still have the Idiot Ball in a death-grip? On one hand it seems clear that he's wrong about the amnesty papers being worthless- Tarquin is Lawful enough that he would keep his word. But on the other hand, amnesty papers don't prevent Ian from being picked up for felony jaywalking two steps outside the castle gates.

Comic #816:

Oh God, that's exactly what's going to happen.

Procyonpi
2011-11-15, 04:50 AM
Anyone else hoping for more crayons? :smallbiggrin:

Yes. Indeed, while everyone is comparing this to the weekend cliffhanger strip, it actually made me think more of the "it all began at the dawn of time" from strip 272 and page 35 of SoD

I was originally going to comment on Haley's Natural 1 on her bluff (which she's so good at that she still beats Tarquin's Sense Motive which is saying ALOT) but I got distracted by Batman. :smalltongue:

I'm not convinced Tarquin actually completely bought it, it just isn't important to him. To quote Xykon "don't confuse not caring for not knowing."

I'd say it may be partially that (Belkar at least doesn't hate Ian's guts, which is more than you can say about a lot of people, some of whom are in his party), but I think it's more about seeing what he can pull under the nose of what he views as excessively lawful types.

Finally, a bit of "original" thought here: as much as people are railing against the cliffhanger, I think it was basically a necessity of pacing. You don't start your long, multi page exposition in the middle of a strip. Would this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html) sequence have been as awesome if it started in the middle of a strip?

tcrudisi
2011-11-15, 05:00 AM
Finally, a bit of "original" thought here: as much as people are railing against the cliffhanger, I think it was basically a necessity of pacing. You don't start your long, multi page exposition in the middle of a strip. Would this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html) sequence have been as awesome if it started in the middle of a strip?

Of course we know it was a necessity (barring a multi-page strip). We are railing against it because it was cruel.

Anarion
2011-11-15, 05:15 AM
I'm definitely hoping for more crayons. Considering that everything we've heard so far was filtered through
A) Redcloak, which was itself filtered through the Dark One
B) Shojo, which was filtered through Soon and the paladin order.

It would be nice to get the story as filtered through Tarquin, which would have been filtered through Girard.

Yeah, we're never going to find out what actually happened until the whole comic ends, will we?

faustin
2011-11-15, 05:34 AM
Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post

I was originally going to comment on Haley's Natural 1 on her bluff (which she's so good at that she still beats Tarquin's Sense Motive which is saying ALOT) but I got distracted by Batman.
I'm not convinced Tarquin actually completely bought it, it just isn't important to him. To quote Xykon "don't confuse not caring for not knowing.

Donīt underestimate Tarquin. He knows about the actual numbers of the Order since Elanīs verbal slip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0780.html) in the Arena Games... or even before.

Another thing I noticed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Starshine

"And if you think [the amnesty papers] are good for anything but wiping your ass, you don't understand Tarquin at all!"
Does Ian still have the Idiot Ball in a death-grip? On one hand it seems clear that he's wrong about the amnesty papers being worthless- Tarquin is Lawful enough that he would keep his word. But on the other hand, amnesty papers don't prevent Ian from being picked up for felony jaywalking two steps outside the castle gates.

Actually, Ian could be right this time (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0735.html).

Yendor
2011-11-15, 06:07 AM
Tarquin clearly suspects Ian of something, and Ian doesn't want to wait around for Tarquin to find out he's really a dangerous insurgent with multiple jailbreaks and a massive ransom hanging over him. Or that he's connected to Haley, for that matter.

Actually, Ian could be right this time (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0735.html).
Exactly. Tarquin's not Lawful Stupid. He'll go back on his word if it suits him. All it takes is for Ian to be picked up on some trivial matter, and for Tarquin to decide, oops, the amnesty form wasn't filled out correctly, it's invalid. Or anything like that.

Especially, since Roy doesn't have a gladiator uniform anymore, which makes it even more unbelievable.
They saw him in the arena fighting Thog. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0788.html)

Procyonpi
2011-11-15, 06:23 AM
I'm definitely hoping for more crayons. Considering that everything we've heard so far was filtered through
A) Redcloak, which was itself filtered through the Dark One
B) Shojo, which was filtered through Soon and the paladin order.

It would be nice to get the story as filtered through Tarquin, which would have been filtered through Girard.

Yeah, we're never going to find out what actually happened until the whole comic ends, will we?

Is there anything particularly contradictory about Shojo and Redcloak's accounts? Sure, they're told from very different perspectives and focus on different parts of the story, but I can't think of anything that makes the two accounts mutually exclusive off the top of my head.

Naimless
2011-11-15, 06:25 AM
I honestly gave a gleeful little cackle at Elan's interjection.

The fact that Tarquin called it a "Good catch"? Cherry on the top. :smallbiggrin:

Sunken Valley
2011-11-15, 06:29 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I hope it's not a long wait.

In other news: Ian is set to have a "nice job breaking it hero" moment

Procyonpi
2011-11-15, 06:30 AM
Something I just realized that I don't think anyone has pointed out yet - when she gets turned back to flesh in this strip, Haley finishes her sentance from Strip 789 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0789.html), when she got turned to stone. Talk about attention to detail.

The Pilgrim
2011-11-15, 06:33 AM
So, the sidequest is at last complete? we are returning to the Main Plot, at last?

Ladorak
2011-11-15, 06:35 AM
Oh god, now there's two of them...

Frustrating but awesome

Werbaer
2011-11-15, 06:36 AM
Er, is Haley's dad going someplace Roy or Haley would know to meet up with him later?

arbitrary speculation:
He tries to hide at the same place as Nale

Werbaer
2011-11-15, 06:37 AM
So, the sidequest is at last complete? we are returning to the Main Plot, at last?
I don't think the Linear Guild sidequest is over qet.

Bulldog Psion
2011-11-15, 06:38 AM
Nice comic. :smallsmile:

Judging by how well things went for the slaves after they escaped, I'm not sure if Ian is quite as scot-free as he thinks. :smalleek: Still, I don't think he had much of a future there, either, so I guess it's better to be on the run with some chance of survival, than in Tarquin's clutches with no chance at all if he decides on a summary execution.

Good to see Elan's still a bard, too. :smallbiggrin:

hamishspence
2011-11-15, 06:41 AM
I don't think the Linear Guild sidequest is over qet.

True, but the "find Girard's Gate" quest seems to be heating up again.

Might be interesting to compare this point in the Book to the same point in the last two books- 137 strips in.

In Don't Split The Party, 137 strips in, the V arc was just about to start, and the fight with Bozzok and the Thieves Guild had just ended.

In War & XPs, it was part way through the Battle for Azure City- the dread knight was punching through the defenses.

So- maybe we're approaching another climax.

Mauve Shirt
2011-11-15, 06:44 AM
Nice one, Giant. :smallbiggrin:
I hope Ian doesn't do something stupid.

suszterpatt
2011-11-15, 06:51 AM
And I bet the next strip will be a cutaway to someplace completely different too, like Xykon or O-Chul. Or Nale, at the very least.

hamishspence
2011-11-15, 06:53 AM
Possible. In the last book this was the point where a new chapter began (Round 7: Deus Elf Machina) and a cutaway to V having a flashback ensued.

If the book is split up a similar way, it does seem close to "new chapter point".

Orzel
2011-11-15, 07:23 AM
Oooooooooh Dang it Elan.

When I say Papa Drama talking right before the end of the comic, I expected a huge confusing reveal. Not that.

DaOldeWolf
2011-11-15, 07:24 AM
Good thing Elan was there or his father would have forgotten an important point in drama (the cliffhanger).

Still, I wonder where is Haleyīs father going to? Any guesses?

hewhosaysfish
2011-11-15, 07:24 AM
Anybody else have a sneaky suspicion that Ian's idea of a good place to hide from a bloody tyrant might be
the home of a powerful and strongly anti-authoritarian illusionist?

RecklessFable
2011-11-15, 07:25 AM
"Close Call" indeed. I hate you, Rich! Now I have to keep hitting refresh until the next update!

weckar
2011-11-15, 07:32 AM
Next 10 strips: what ever hijinks is team evil up to?

faustin
2011-11-15, 07:33 AM
Anybody else have a sneaky suspicion that Ian's idea of a good place to hide from a bloody tyrant might be

Except Ian didnīt know him or where is hidden, only Tarquin seems to know.

Darkfyre99
2011-11-15, 07:35 AM
"Wait! Don't you want a dramatic pause first?" Left me chuckling for a good minute.

Not to mention, "That gladiator I've never met before..."

Good Job ^_^

Bulldog Psion
2011-11-15, 07:53 AM
Except Ian didnīt know him or where is hidden, only Tarquin seems to know.

Do we know specifically that Ian doesn't know Girard? :smallconfused: I don't seem to remember that being mentioned one way or the other, but on the other hand, this arc has been going on so long that I probably forgot a detail or two along the way.

Ron Miel
2011-11-15, 07:56 AM

do what during a con ?

Blaznak
2011-11-15, 08:01 AM
I was worried the plot was going to significantly move forward. Fortunately Elan saved the day!

Shatteredtower
2011-11-15, 08:06 AM
This is the first time I've read a strip I've wanted to see adapted to stage. This was an exceptional display of quality ham all around.

factotum
2011-11-15, 08:06 AM

She saw him fighting Thog in the arena, and even in his normal armour, he's a fairly distinctive looking person--it would be perfectly reasonable for her to have said "The gladiator is right!".

Howler Dagger
2011-11-15, 08:39 AM
GAHHH! How could you, Giant?:smallwink:

Sky_Schemer
2011-11-15, 08:52 AM
Absolutely loved the last panel. It had me laughing out loud and the people around me wondering what was so funny. :)

Scarlet Knight
2011-11-15, 08:53 AM

Frustrating but awesome

"Is yours always like this?"
"Sadly, yes."

AutomatedTeller
2011-11-15, 08:56 AM
Don't think Sabine or Nale are hanging around invisibly - Nale is running for his life and Sabine went back to base.

I kind of think that Tarquin knows about Roy knowing Elan and Haley, though. He's very smart and he's made Roy a job offer, so I assume he's looked into the background and found out that he's a gladiator because of the fight with the bounty hunters, which was started over asking about a bounty, which was Elan and Haley. Along with the slip in the arena...

I don't think he knows about Haley and Ian yet. His reaction when he finds out? Dunno.

Ian is paranoid... but I think he has reason to be.

I liked the "Belkar failed another spot check" implication, even if it's not really true. Always amusing stuff. And I had to go back to see what sentance "now" finished... which is when I saw that Haley had dropped the bag which had all that stuff in it.

Huh. When and how did Haley grab all of Roy and Belkar's stuff? That's probably been asked and answered, hasn't it?

Laws of Chaos
2011-11-15, 09:06 AM
I love how Elan points out how explaining what happens off-panel speeds things along. Then follows that up by bringing things to a screeching halt for a dramatic pose. It's fitting.

Morty
2011-11-15, 09:07 AM

On a side note, while Ian is definetly right about the amnesty papers not being worth a dime to Tarquin if he wanted to keep him locked up, it likely wouldn't be an issue if he'd kept his mouth shut in the first place.

Bulldog Psion
2011-11-15, 09:28 AM
On a side note, while Ian is definetly right about the amnesty papers not being worth a dime to Tarquin if he wanted to keep him locked up, it likely wouldn't be an issue if he'd kept his mouth shut in the first place.

That is true. He didn't need to go along with anything -- just sit there, keep his mouth shut, and plot his revenge and/or freedom fighting silently in his mind. So yes, you're right -- all of his problems basically stem from shooting off his mouth in a thoroughly retarded fashion.

Especially considering all his speeches to Haley about trusting nobody, giving away no information, keeping your mouth shut, etc. Maybe spending time in jail drove him insane. :smallconfused:

CoffeeIncluded
2011-11-15, 09:31 AM
Yeah, Haley's back! And here we go...

JSSheridan
2011-11-15, 09:39 AM
Thanks Giant!

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-15, 09:44 AM
If we get more crayon drawings, I can see Tarquin doing a big, embelished story with beautifully carved sentences, all elegant and awesome and stuff. And Elan trying to butt in every panel to say "Dad, we know this already."
I want to see Tarquin's face after that, it would be priceless.

turkishproverb
2011-11-15, 09:51 AM
Ah Elan. Increasing Page counts regularly.

Vinsfeld
2011-11-15, 10:02 AM
If the palace was not attached, and was actually far, with the palace. How did Elan got to the palace so fast? I mean, Tarquin and Roy had to go by Brontosaur.

pendell
2011-11-15, 10:10 AM
... :smallfurious:

Okay, okay. Just so everyone knows: I absolutely love OotS and Rich is an amazing writer and comedian.

But dang, after reading this comic, I wanted to call Rich all sorts of mean and inappropriate names that would get me banned. Seriously cruel.

If the next comic doesn't come out within 5 minutes, I'm afraid I might just explode from anticipation.

I remind you that Rich is not an especially well man. He was out of space in this panel, so there was no way Tarquin's exposition was getting into this strip in any case. Not enough room for exposition, just enough room for a joke, so well played.

I also wait with breathless anticipation for the next strip. But I'm willing to be patient. I don't especially like being pushed for results when I'm not up to it. It only means I make mistakes.

And if I don't want to be put under that kind of pressure , then I can't do it to others, can I?

Still enjoying the strip and looking forward to the next installment. Especially now that the Plot Train seems to have pulled into the station. Who knows? Maybe we'll see Xykon and Tsukikko again!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

t209
2011-11-15, 10:12 AM
Can the Order reach Girard's gate?
Will Xykon be defeated?
TUNE IN NEXT TIME FOR ORDER OF THE STICK!

mistformsquirrl
2011-11-15, 10:15 AM
I love this comic. So so much. >_<

KoboldRevenge
2011-11-15, 10:48 AM
Very good I wonder what he knows.

Also, how the Shmell did Geoff make that landing with that peg leg!?

mrzomby
2011-11-15, 10:54 AM
fully expected a troll face custom smiley for this thread.

Werbaer
2011-11-15, 11:20 AM
If the palace was not attached, and was actually far, with the palace. How did Elan got to the palace so fast?
You can see the distance here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0775.html).
Elan ran.

KinnetDynamon
2011-11-15, 11:22 AM
Can the Order reach Girard's gate?
Will Xykon be defeated?
TUNE IN NEXT TIME FOR ORDER OF THE STICK!

Same OOTS time, same OOTS channel.

Bulldog Psion
2011-11-15, 11:31 AM

Maybe he just belly-flopped on the sand. :smallbiggrin:

dps
2011-11-15, 11:32 AM
Same OOTS time, same OOTS channel.

Darn! I was gonna say that.

Oh, well. Gotta say I loved Roy's reaction in the last panel.

rbetieh
2011-11-15, 11:35 AM
If the palace was not attached, and was actually far, with the palace. How did Elan got to the palace so fast? I mean, Tarquin and Roy had to go by Brontosaur.

Havent you ever seen the flinstones? Brontosaurus busses are slower than flinstone mobiles!

SamBurke
2011-11-15, 11:42 AM
Complicated comic!

Vectner
2011-11-15, 12:47 PM
So . . . um, what about V? Or has he/she become as easily forgetable as Blackwing to the rest of the Order?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-15, 12:50 PM
So . . . um, what about V? Or has he/she become as easily forgetable as Blackwing to the rest of the Order?

Time is of the essence as no one but V, Z, Quarr and Sabine know where V is. V has no way of communicating this (as far as we know), Z is unconcious and won't divulge it easily (or maybe he will thinking V is already dead), and they don't even have the option to question Quarr and Sabine.

For as far as the Order knows, V is attempting to rendevouz with them as they speak and can catch V up on the exposition as Elan demonstrated in this comic.

kojar
2011-11-15, 12:59 PM
Oh good job, Elan, because of you we have to wait about a week until Taruin can spill everything.

Edit: wait, "fill me in later"? I thought it's "fill me in *never*"....

Peelee
2011-11-15, 01:00 PM
Time is of the essence as no one but V, Z, Quarr and Sabine know where V is.

....or both Roy and Belkar (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0809.html) know.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-15, 01:02 PM

But they have no reason to divulge it in front of Tarquin as they still think he doesn't now they are not connected to Elan and Haley. Weather he does now or not is still to be seen.

WickedWizard17
2011-11-15, 01:21 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HALEY'S BACK AND THE GROUP IS TOGETHER ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And now we have to wait and find out what Tarquin knows . . .

YAY GIANT!!

And does this remind anyone else of this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0283.html) comic? Like father, like son.

hamishspence
2011-11-15, 01:24 PM
Most of the group. V is still off on the Plane of Ranch Dressing.

gooddragon1
2011-11-15, 01:30 PM
Grammatical error in panel 6: should be "Like those Restoration spells Durkon cast on himself and me."

hamishspence
2011-11-15, 01:32 PM
It's coming from Elan- it's not really that surprising for him to make the odd grammatical error.

Sylvius
2011-11-15, 01:33 PM
Roy's facepalms always make me happy.

Gift Jeraff
Grammatical error in panel 6: should be "Like those Restoration spells Durkon cast on himself and me."Humans normally don't talk like that in real life, especially someone as casual as Elan...

gooddragon1
It's coming from Elan- it's not really that surprising for him to make the odd grammatical error.

You shall not diminish my victory!

Just kidding, maybe it could I guess.

EDIT: :D :O ^^ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vf8N6GpdM)

Doug Lampert
2011-11-15, 01:35 PM
do what during a con ?

Hang a lampshade on the con by unreasonably emphasising the parts that are lies.

No one would say "That gladiator I've never met before is right!" if they'd actually never met the gladiator before.

The natural wording is "The gladiator is right!" or "That guy is right!". Why in the world would you TELL people he's someone you've never met when no one has said or implied that you know each other? How often do you walk up to someone and say "Hello person I've never met, what's your name?" rather than just saying "What's your name."

Part of lieing well is acting as if you are telling the truth, and that includes not volunteering information that you normally wouldn't mention.

If Haley LEAVES of the part about "I've never met before" then it draws far less attention to her relationship to Roy. Saying "I've never met before" there makes you substatantially less likely to fool most people over the age of 2.

pendell
2011-11-15, 01:40 PM
Another thing I noticed:

Oh God, that's exactly what's going to happen.

I respectfully disagree. Tarquin will keep the letter of his agreement, but he's not above violating the spirit of it in horrible ways. Ask the dark-skinned woman from the Free City of Doom or wherever it was.

ETA: Case in point (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0756.html).

It's possible Ian has dealt with Tarquin enough to know just what a guarantee of his is worth. Tarquin may promise not to kill you, for example, but that doesn't mean he can't stick you on a torture rack and make you wish he had.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Peelee
2011-11-15, 01:41 PM
But they have no reason to divulge it in front of Tarquin as they still think he doesn't now they are not connected to Elan and Haley. Weather he does now or not is still to be seen.

Oh, well, yeah. I was just commenting on how more than just V, Z, Quarr and Sabine know. Timing doesn't appear to be of the essence, really, as they are merely trying to keep Tarquin from realizing their association to each other. Roy just needs to let Durkon know V's location to be able to get him back in the party, and while sooner is always better than later, there's no particular rush on it at the moment. Though they don't know exactly WHAT plane V got sent to, so maybe they're just hoping he's alright.

In any case, didn't mean that they were gonna just up and start wondering where he was in the middle of things here. Sorry 'bout that confusion

AutomatedTeller
2011-11-15, 01:51 PM
can't V get back? Does Durkon have to do the retrieval?

btw - it seems to me that the ICFF will work to get V back - I'm assuming they want V nearby when the gate is found.

Belsirk
2011-11-15, 01:51 PM
Good comic!

Anyway... right now... i just... hate elan...

Jagos
2011-11-15, 02:00 PM
Is it safe to say that Haley's father is a milder example of "Chaotic Stupid?"

faustin
2011-11-15, 02:01 PM
Good comic!

Anyway... right now... i just... hate elan...

Why? We already know the full exposition would cover an entire strip or more, so there wasnīt any way Tarquin gonna spoil anything in the last 2 panels.

kojar
2011-11-15, 02:03 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HALEY'S BACK AND THE GROUP IS TOGETHER ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And now we have to wait and find out what Tarquin knows . . .

YAY GIANT!!

Wow, you like being mean to V don`t you?

Zea mays
2011-11-15, 02:10 PM
Good stuff.

Now that Tarquin has taken that dramatic pause I can help but anticipate that some ominous foreshadowing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0751.html) is about to bear fruit.

The Giant sure has the delicate knack of leaning heavily on the fourth wall without breaking the story's tension.

bronnt
2011-11-15, 02:13 PM
I love that the alternative interpretation of Belkar's line is that he failed another spot check. It's such a staple that it doesn't even need to be stated explicitly.

I love that Haley is still completing her sentence from 26 strips ago.

I love Elan giving us a long, dramatic pause to end the strip. I love Roy's facepalm in the last panel.

I love this trip.

Palthera
2011-11-15, 02:26 PM
Grammatical error in panel 6: should be "Like those Restoration spells Durkon cast on himself and me."

Technically, should be "himself and I", but as was said elsewhere, most people don't get it correct anyway.

Bulldog Psion
2011-11-15, 02:32 PM
Is it safe to say that Haley's father is a milder example of "Chaotic Stupid?"

I'm not quite sure where that impression comes from. What, specifically, makes you say so? :smallconfused:

bronnt
2011-11-15, 02:59 PM
Technically, should be "himself and I", but as was said elsewhere, most people don't get it correct anyway.

No, the previous poster has it right. Here's the easy test for this rule-what sounds right if we're only talking about one person?

"Like that Restoration potion Durkon used on me," or "Like that Restoration potion Durkon used on I." It's the first one. The object of a prepositional phrase is the objective case.

"Like that Restoration potion Durkon used on him," or "Like that Restoration potion Durkon used on himself." The first one is confusing, the second is right.

Peelee
2011-11-15, 03:05 PM

.....rage building.

No, the previous poster has it right. Here's the easy test for this rule-what sounds right if we're only talking about one person?

"Like that Restoration potion Durkon used on me," or "Like that Restoration potion Durkon used on I." It's the first one. The object of a prepositional phrase is the objective case.

"Like that Restoration potion Durkon used on him," or "Like that Restoration potion Durkon used on himself." The first one is confusing, the second is right.

Rage subsiding.

Thank you, bronnt. You are my hero

hamishspence
2011-11-15, 03:08 PM
Some songs alternate between correct and wrong useage simply for the sake of rhyme- which is understandable.

"Underneath the Mango Tree" from the James Bond movie Dr No, for example.

gooddragon1
2011-11-15, 03:16 PM
.....rage building.

Rage subsiding.

Thank you, bronnt. You are my hero

Oddly enough, the grammar nazis college humor video I linked addresses this.

"The trick is to take the other person out of the sentence to see if it makes sense. Me buy milk? I think not. I buy milk..."

The only problem I foresee with the necessary change to grammar I proposed is that he may have to re-size the text bubble. I apologize for this in advance Giant... I am sorry to have burst your bubble.

bronnt
2011-11-15, 03:25 PM
Oddly enough, the grammar nazis college humor video I linked addresses this.

"The trick is to take the other person out of the sentence to see if it makes sense. Me buy milk? I think not. I buy milk..."

The only problem I foresee with the necessary change to grammar I proposed is that he may have to re-size the text bubble. I apologize for this in advance Giant... I am sorry to have burst your bubble.

Actually, I'm okay with grammatical errors being in the text itself, since it's Elan speaking. Doesn't bother me. I was only bothered when someone was trying to offer a correction that was incorrect itself, which is where I jumped in.

Real people do not speak with perfect grammar, which is why good dialogue will have some grammatical errors in it. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but it's perfectly believable to me that Elan would speak incorrectly there.

gooddragon1
2011-11-15, 03:32 PM
Actually, I'm okay with grammatical errors being in the text itself, since it's Elan speaking. Doesn't bother me. I was only bothered when someone was trying to offer a correction that was incorrect itself, which is where I jumped in.

Real people do not speak with perfect grammar, which is why good dialogue will have some grammatical errors in it. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but it's perfectly believable to me that Elan would speak incorrectly there.

Very true.

Another possible error however is in panel 10: Might need to be "everything that I know about Draketooth." rather than "everything I know about that Draketooth."

Could also be unintentional though.

EpsilonShawn
2011-11-15, 03:35 PM
.....rage building.

Rage subsiding.

Was so with you there.

Going back to conversational conventions in language, I personally feel that a more self-centered statement would be most natural. It's what I'm more likely to expect. So whereas I stumbled on what Elan actually said, I don't think I would have if he had said "cast on us" or "cast on me and him" even though neither option improves precision.

Very true.

Another possible error however is in panel 10: Might need to be "everything that I know about Draketooth." rather than "everything I know about that Draketooth."

I'm not seeing the error, though I agree that could have been an unintentional transposition.

Kish
2011-11-15, 03:42 PM

There is no error there.

Peelee
2011-11-15, 03:44 PM
Wow. I did not expect to see such brotherhood on that. I don't even think I'm particularly grammar nazi-esque. I just can't stand when people incorrectly use "I" instead of "me." It's as if the person is actively trying to sound correct without bothering to have actually learned it, which for some reason I find far more offensive than just not knowing in the first place. Other than that, I take bronnt's stance; people don't speak perfectly all the time, and for the most part, that's ok.

Though bronnt and gooddragon1, you two warmed my heart. I thought I came up with the "remove all people other than yourself" explanation on my own. Glad to see it's apparently fairly common

dtilque
2011-11-15, 03:46 PM
Ian is paranoid... but I think he has reason to be.

Yes, there's some backstory between Ian and Tarquin that we only have hints about. Hopefully we'll find out what it is when Kilkil gets the records on Ian and Geoff.

And I had to go back to see what sentance "now" finished... which is when I saw that Haley had dropped the bag which had all that stuff in it.

Huh. When and how did Haley grab all of Roy and Belkar's stuff? That's probably been asked and answered, hasn't it?

Several times. Roy asked Haley to pick up his and Belkar's stuff when she visited them in prison.

J's
2011-11-15, 04:54 PM
arbitrary speculation:
He tries to hide at the same place as Nale

You mean Girrard.

And Roy isn't the only one that is annoyed by the stereoscopic drama, Haley is vexed too.

J's
2011-11-15, 05:11 PM
Very true.

Generally calling someone 'That' shows dislike of the one being spoken of. I don't consider it an extraneous word.

Devon_Darkblade
2011-11-15, 05:12 PM
hoping to see the next plot twist comic soon,

wru 816 :)

eusticepious
2011-11-15, 05:34 PM
Giant-

The quality of oots is too high for you not to be getting paid. You deserve better. Please start advertising on the main site.

Mutant Sheep
2011-11-15, 05:45 PM
Giant-

The quality of oots is too high for you not to be getting paid. You deserve better. Please start advertising on the main site.

What do you mean by "main site"? He owns this site, why would he advertise on it? :smallconfused: (Also, fans buy books, so he does get paid for the extra content, deeper plot, and awesome prequel-ness found in said books. And the ad revenue goes to him. Why would he give himself his own money?)

Onyavar
2011-11-15, 06:10 PM
Just a random thought...

Is one of Tarquins adventuring party maybe son or daughter of Girard? Obviously not Malack, Catgirl and Tarquin himself, but the female caster with ion stones, Miron Screwdancer or that warrior could be...

MesiDoomstalker
2011-11-15, 06:12 PM
can't V get back? Does Durkon have to do the retrieval?

btw - it seems to me that the ICFF will work to get V back - I'm assuming they want V nearby when the gate is found.

Plane Shift and its variants are Conjuration spells, and since V banned Conjuration, V can't get home by V's self. Cleric's get Plane Shift and Durkon is the most immidiate, compliant source of it the Order has.

Procyonpi
2011-11-15, 06:34 PM
Don't think Sabine or Nale are hanging around invisibly - Nale is running for his life and Sabine went back to base.

I kind of think that Tarquin knows about Roy knowing Elan and Haley, though. He's very smart and he's made Roy a job offer, so I assume he's looked into the background and found out that he's a gladiator because of the fight with the bounty hunters, which was started over asking about a bounty, which was Elan and Haley. Along with the slip in the arena...

The first reason you stated is plausible, but Tarquin offered Roy a job BEFORE the arena fight.

They know he was "banished to another plain." Not "banished to the semi-elemental plain of ranch dressing."

Good stuff.

Now that Tarquin has taken that dramatic pause I can help but anticipate that some ominous foreshadowing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0751.html) is about to bear fruit.

The Giant sure has the delicate knack of leaning heavily on the fourth wall without breaking the story's tension.

I actually interpreted that as having more to do with his revelation of his fellow adventure's scheme to take over the Western continent without anyone knowing.

the home of a powerful and strongly anti-authoritarian illusionist?

That's quite plausible, and would create huge headache's for the order, when they did find him. Ian would feed Girard a story that this was all a conspiracy by Tarquin to get him, and Girard might just believe him.

This comic has also revived my epileptic tree theory that Ian IS Girard. They both (were) redheads and they have a very similar sense of paranoia.

weeping eagle
2011-11-15, 06:52 PM
Technically, should be "himself and I", but as was said elsewhere, most people don't get it correct anyway.Pepe: "Oh, Papa Homer, you are so learn-ed."
Homer: "It's 'learned,' Pepe. 'Learned.'"

Not to pile on, but it's just too brilliant.

Hardcore
2011-11-15, 07:24 PM
I appreciate that the quality of this strip is always very high.

Not many seems to realise this is rare.

Holy_Knight
2011-11-15, 07:37 PM
Hang a lampshade on the con by unreasonably emphasising the parts that are lies.

No one would say "That gladiator I've never met before is right!" if they'd actually never met the gladiator before.

The natural wording is "The gladiator is right!" or "That guy is right!". Why in the world would you TELL people he's someone you've never met when no one has said or implied that you know each other? How often do you walk up to someone and say "Hello person I've never met, what's your name?" rather than just saying "What's your name."

Part of lieing well is acting as if you are telling the truth, and that includes not volunteering information that you normally wouldn't mention.

If Haley LEAVES of the part about "I've never met before" then it draws far less attention to her relationship to Roy. Saying "I've never met before" there makes you substatantially less likely to fool most people over the age of 2.
I agree, except it could make more sense if Haley was doing that specifically for Elan's benefit. That is, she might be well aware that her line is a big giveaway, but it's at least less of one than if Elan blurts out "Roy, you're back!" or something. She could have decided to risk it in light of that alternative.

Generally calling someone 'That' shows dislike of the one being spoken of. I don't consider it an extraneous word.
Not necessarily--it can also indicate someone of low familiarity. Like, "Hey, you remember that Roger guy at karaoke? Turns out he was my sister's date yesterday!"

Landis963
2011-11-15, 07:42 PM
do what during a con ?

I'll just leave this here. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SuspiciouslySpecificDenial)

J's
2011-11-15, 08:02 PM
Not necessarily--it can also indicate someone of low familiarity. Like, "Hey, you remember that Roger guy at karaoke? Turns out he was my sister's date yesterday!"

Fair enough. And it is hard to tell which from pure context, you need the spoken intonation to be sure the meaning intended by that that, so it must be my expectations that are making me see it that way.

However moving the placement of 'that' after 'everything' in the sentence would have gotten me yelled at by my creative writing teacher. Adding unneeded words weakens the statement, and 'everything I know about Draketooth' is a complete thought.

AutomatedTeller
2011-11-15, 08:09 PM
The first reason you stated is plausible, but Tarquin offered Roy a job BEFORE the arena fight.

ok - so? He met Roy and offered him a job. I'm guessing that he did some checking on why Roy was there and found out that he was there because of the bounty hunters, who are connected to Elan. And, of course, he would know that Roy was brought in with Belkar, who Elan definitely doesn't know.

And, of course, there's Durkon, who clearly isn't a secret dwarf ally :)

There's literally no evidence in the comic that he has done that, of course. I'm just assuming he did, since he's pretty smart and organized.

Procyonpi
2011-11-15, 08:24 PM
ok - so? He met Roy and offered him a job. I'm guessing that he did some checking on why Roy was there and found out that he was there because of the bounty hunters, who are connected to Elan. And, of course, he would know that Roy was brought in with Belkar, who Elan definitely doesn't know.

My point was that the slip in the arena wasn't a valid reason why he might suspect Roy was related to Elan before offering him a job. I was agreeing that the bounty thing was.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-11-15, 08:24 PM
Frustrating but awesome

I just realized this is the first time Roy's had to deal with the "Elan in stereo" phenomenon. In a couple minutes he's going to be wishing Thog was still there to bash his head through some more pillars.

Please that happened right here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0043.html) for the first time... and since then has happened here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0064.html) and here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0336.html) and here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0363.html)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I hope it's not a long wait.
In other news: Ian is set to have a "nice job breaking it hero" moment

Nah... most people have guessed it... another intermission, or Linear Equation to solve, or Team Evil Team Building Exercise, or Visit to the Oracle's House of Lies for a piece of poohbarb pie with some whipped dreams and a cherry on top, or maybe a day in the life of Samurai Baby Parents where we learn the little one's name (needs a name to be safe), or perhaps the adventures of O-Chul and MitD as they seek to reunite with one another.

Something I just realized that I don't think anyone has pointed out yet - when she gets turned back to flesh in this strip, Haley finishes her sentance from Strip 789 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0789.html), when she got turned to stone. Talk about attention to detail.

Really? I totally expected it. I was expecting it since I saw she was cut off mid sentence in the first place.

He dashed... he is a Dashing Swordsman after all... :) And we saw him add he should take Endurance or Run as his next level feat because of it... see, here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0793.html)

I pegged him as the type to just stick the landing? Might take a point off for form, but still I wood give him the benefit of the gout.

You can see the distance here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0775.html).
Elan ran.

Oooooo, good reference to depict everything.

They know he was "banished to another plain." Not "banished to the semi-elemental plain of ranch dressing."

That's quite plausible, and would create huge headache's for the order, when they did find him. Ian would feed Girard a story that this was all a conspiracy by Tarquin to get him, and Girard might just believe him.

This comic has also revived my epileptic tree theory that Ian IS Girard. They both (were) redheads and they have a very similar sense of paranoia.

Actually, sending shouldn't be too hard for Durkon to perform, with that they can get further details from V and voila, V's vicariously viewed voluminous venture verily vexed, vehemently. (Sorry, been looking for an excuse to emulate another V since I first saw Vaarsuvius' name abbreviated to the iconic letter)

On the subject of Ian knowing Girard and going to him... he need not know him by that name, he could know him as GD, or Old Scribble, some other alias, perhaps one based on his facial mark. So it is completely plausible that he is going to him. As for Ian being Girard... um... no... for one, Girard does have a quite distinctive mark, second Ian is a 1st Edition Thief not a 1st Edition Illusionist, third Ian is actually way to young to be Girard as we knew Soon and Girard are older then Durokan and Durokan was fairly old when he got beaten by Xykon, meanwhile Soon died of old age. Girard may be long lived, but he is older then Ian is, and if Ian were Girard he wouldn't have gone gray in prison.

Fair enough. And it is hard to tell which from pure context, you need the spoken intonation to be sure the meaning intended by that that, so it must be my expectations that are making me see it that way.

However moving the placement of 'that' after 'everything' in the sentence would have gotten me yelled at by my creative writing teacher. Adding unneeded words weakens the statement, and 'everything I know about Draketooth' is a complete thought.

Which Draketooth? The Hermit Draketooth that hides in the desert? The Adventurer Draketooth who fights with some egotistical Paladin? The Illustionist Draketooth that lives on a Secret Hiddent Tropical Island just off the shores of new Gobopolis so that he is far from where anyone expects him? The Con Man Draketooth who changed his name to Starshine and lives in the town of Greysky where he acts as a member of the Thieves Guild? Or the Dictator Draketooth who rules the land of Bamboozleyah just on the far side of the Wheepies Kingdom? That Draketooth makes sure it is known that he is talking about the one that they're talking about without saying the name Girard or some adjective to define him as the same specific individual with the surname that they've asked about.

Procyonpi
2011-11-15, 08:26 PM
Please that happened right here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0043.html) for the first time... and since then has happened here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0064.html) and here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0336.html) and here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0363.html)

Nale =/= Tarquin. He doesn't have the same sense of dramatic convention.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-11-15, 08:34 PM
Nale =/= Tarquin. He doesn't have the same sense of dramatic convention.

He still sounds like Elan

Toofey
2011-11-15, 08:52 PM
Have the theories about an Ian - Giraud connection been re-raised yet?

Procyonpi
2011-11-15, 09:01 PM
He still sounds like Elan

Maybe, but that's not the point. He doesn't go out of his way to follow dramatic convention like Elan or Tarquin. He got his approach from his mother (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html), afterall.

Roland Itiative
2011-11-15, 09:28 PM
Great strip, as always.

And 10 gold says Ian will go to wherever Girard is :smalltongue:

Peelee
2011-11-15, 09:30 PM
Great strip, as always.

I'll take that bet. Think he'll happen across Nale, I do I do.

Knaight
2011-11-15, 09:37 PM

There is a distinction however. In the case of low familiarity, the name is almost used as an adjective to describe a noun that is usually some variety of person (or the noun turns into an adjective to describe the name). It's "that Roger guy", "that Carlos fellow", "that one actress, Charlotte", "the plumber from last week, Sandy" or similar. Whereas just "that Carlos" or "that Charlotte" or "that Sandy" usually denotes hostility.

It is also worth noting that hostility can be indicated with a noun that is inherently negative. "That jerk Sam" is hostile, though it fits with the first pattern.

Shoelessgdowar
2011-11-15, 09:46 PM
There is a distinction however. In the case of low familiarity, the name is almost used as an adjective to describe a noun that is usually some variety of person (or the noun turns into an adjective to describe the name). It's "that Roger guy", "that Carlos fellow", "that one actress, Charlotte", "the plumber from last week, Sandy" or similar. Whereas just "that Carlos" or "that Charlotte" or "that Sandy" usually denotes hostility.

It is also worth noting that hostility can be indicated with a noun that is inherently negative. "That jerk Sam" is hostile, though it fits with the first pattern.

That Girl
and the song from Grease 2
'Whose That Guy?'
would both contradict your premise, as they make That before a single other term positive.
That Girl was essentially the It Girl of her generation, so cool that she was 'That Girl'
and in 'Whose That Guy?' the character being asked about is cool and mysterious, talked about even looking so cool that he could fly (how coolness and the capacity to become airborne equate I do not know, since cool things then to fall while hot things tend to float, but that is a totally different matter).

Peelee
2011-11-15, 10:03 PM
That Girl
and the song from Grease 2
'Whose That Guy?'
would both contradict your premise, as they make That before a single other term positive.
That Girl was essentially the It Girl of her generation, so cool that she was 'That Girl'
and in 'Whose That Guy?' the character being asked about is cool and mysterious, talked about even looking so cool that he could fly (how coolness and the capacity to become airborne equate I do not know, since cool things then to fall while hot things tend to float, but that is a totally different matter).

The negative connotations alluded to in his treatise came from the use of a proper name, which implied both parties (the speaker and the listener) both were aware of who was being addressed, in which case the modifier "that" takes on a pejorative tone. The use of nonspecific "guy" or "girl" makes "that" needed to make the specific person more identifiable. As such, the premise still holds.

I like how this thread has drifted into deep grammatical territory. Time to switch out my sourcebooks... PHB getting replaced with MLA!

King Bosco III
2011-11-15, 10:56 PM
It can also be endearing. Ex:

:belkar: Bwaha! I have deep-seated emotional problems! Die! Die! Die!

Option 1: That Belkar. :smallmad:

Option 2: Oh, that Belkar. :smallredface:

It depends on intonation, just like most of communication.

AutomatedTeller
2011-11-15, 11:29 PM
My point was that the slip in the arena wasn't a valid reason why he might suspect Roy was related to Elan before offering him a job. I was agreeing that the bounty thing was.

Ahh :) I completely agree :) I guess I didn't write that first one carefully enough - I meant that the slip might have reinforced that belief.

rbetieh
2011-11-15, 11:43 PM
Great strip, as always.

Super-big spender...you just made a $17,000 bet! Giant, please note the total amount of money that rides on your arbitrary decision to put Ian and Girard in the same room...:smallamused:

Zeta Kai
2011-11-16, 01:30 AM
Well, it was a "close call" that Ian ran away literally one panel before his daughter was revived, preventing them from conversing before he went into self-imposed exile for who-knows-how-long. :smallsigh:

Morgan Wick
2011-11-16, 02:33 AM
I have to say, this comic contains some clunky dialogue. With Haley it's intentional, but Elan and Tarquin aren't botching covering for not knowing Roy.

gooddragon1
2011-11-16, 02:44 AM
The negative connotations alluded to in his treatise came from the use of a proper name, which implied both parties (the speaker and the listener) both were aware of who was being addressed, in which case the modifier "that" takes on a pejorative tone. The use of nonspecific "guy" or "girl" makes "that" needed to make the specific person more identifiable. As such, the premise still holds.

I like how this thread has drifted into deep grammatical territory. Time to switch out my sourcebooks... PHB getting replaced with MLA!

I'm sorry, but I will never switch over to MLA from APA. MLA is too much like a video game and so on and so forth.

Jk :P I don't even pay attention to grammar styles.

Sith_Happens
2011-11-16, 03:39 AM

:mitd: What con?

faustin
2011-11-16, 05:27 AM
My vote for adding D&D versions of Wally and/or Carmen Sandiego in Girardīs hideout.:smallbiggrin:

EccentricFellow
2011-11-16, 07:48 AM
Good to see that even despite their differences, Elan still has his Dads back. Father-Son bonding moments like this bring a tear to the eye...

Jay R
2011-11-16, 09:41 AM
Havent you ever seen the flinstones? Brontosaurus busses are slower than flinstone mobiles!

That was a previous edition, though. They're riding a 4E brontosaurus.

========

And on another topic, I can't wait to see all the wailing when the next strip begins in the throne room, with Tarquin saying " ... and that's all you need to know about Draketooth."

Dr.Epic
2011-11-16, 11:30 AM
Way to go Elan! We could have gotten the answer in this comic, but you had to interrupt! This is just like the verdict with the trial.

rbetieh
2011-11-16, 12:14 PM

========

And on another topic, I can't wait to see all the wailing when the next strip begins in the throne room, with Tarquin saying " ... and that's all you need to know about Draketooth."

I thought this was a 3.5 world....

Shoelessgdowar
2011-11-16, 12:39 PM

========

I thought this was a 3.5 world....

Yes, this is definitely 3.5 edition... we saw them upgrade at the beginning and they haven't been updated again since.

If you want a mockery of 4e rules you need to read 'Will Save World For Gold'

slurpzURbrainz
2011-11-16, 01:02 PM
Love the strip.. thanks so much Giant.

Ah Elan.. :)

There are so many levels and directions to OOTS, love them all...
Right now several pcs in my party come to mind... you love them as friends, but sometimes thier characters can so annoy yours... yet you share the spotlight.

Re: Haleys gladiator ive never seen before.. shes depetrified, chats with Elan for a bit.. sees Roy and Tarquin walk up.... and her first words to that ensamble..... I took as a reminder to Elan.

How did pegleg Geof make the landing? into presumably soft sand? Which sports metaphor should i use....

Hole in one?
He nailed it?
He stuck the landing?

Or perhaps theatre?

With his best foot forwards?
Break a leg?
Footloose and fancy free?

Ok.. ill stop now

Holy_Knight
2011-11-16, 04:40 PM
Which Draketooth? The Hermit Draketooth that hides in the desert?
I wonder if he means old Ben Draketooth...

factotum
2011-11-16, 05:46 PM
Yes, this is definitely 3.5 edition... we saw them upgrade at the beginning and they haven't been updated again since.

The Giant has said that he'll use 4E jokes in the strip if they make sense. I think he also says that doing the big "rules upgrade" gag in strip #1 was a bit of a mistake, because that particular joke doesn't age well...how many people even understand the differences between 3.0 and 3.5 these days to get that joke?

Plus, of course, Xykon existed as a sorcerer decades before Haley's father was a "First Edition thief", so even within the existing canon the editions are a bit mixed up!

Peelee
2011-11-16, 05:54 PM
I wonder if he means old Ben Draketooth...

That wizard's just a crazy old man

Tobimaro
2011-11-16, 07:50 PM
:elan: duh duh DUH!

Geordnet
2011-11-16, 08:00 PM
Anyone want to bet the next strip is in Crayon-Vision(tm)?

Gusion
2011-11-16, 08:54 PM

As otherwise mentioned, she (I like to think of V as a she) can't cast conjuration spells. So that limits her choices. But there are still a few options:

1. If she has the spell, casting banishment (abjuration) on herself would send her back to the material plane... most likely where she was pushed out of it. I think this is the most likely course of action. V has an extensive spellbook after all, she just has to wait 9 hours before being able to do it (assuming it isn't memorized currently).

2. There is also dismissal, but that could have serious problems. (20% chance of being sent to another plane could be very problematic.)

3. Finding someone else to cast an appropriate spell for her.

Gift Jeraff
2011-11-16, 09:02 PM
1. If she has the spell, casting banishment (abjuration) on herself would send her back to the material plane... most likely where she was pushed out of it. I think this is the most likely course of action. V has an extensive spellbook after all, she just has to wait 9 hours before being able to do it (assuming it isn't memorized currently).V does indeed have Banishment. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0585.html)

I personally like the idea that s/he'll be rescued by Durkon casting "Summon Monster: V." :smallwink:

King Bosco III
2011-11-16, 09:12 PM
lol. Sadly unlikely, though...

Probably whatever it is will be off screen, or some sort of side quest to further delay new info on Girard and his gate.

veti
2011-11-16, 09:13 PM
V does indeed have Banishment. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0585.html)

Could V cast Banishment on herself? According to the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/banishment.htm): "It enables you to force extraplanar creatures out of your home plane." It says nothing about what happens if you're not on your home plane.

I personally like the idea that s/he'll be rescued by Durkon casting "Summon Monster: V." :smallwink:

I like this idea much better.

Gusion
2011-11-16, 10:03 PM
Could V cast Banishment on herself? According to the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/banishment.htm): "It enables you to force extraplanar creatures out of your home plane." It says nothing about what happens if you're not on your home plane.

Well true, although that is a rule that could be bent. But I guess dismissal is still strictly okay since it "forces an extraplanar creature back to its proper plane if it fails a special Will save" - which V could choose to fail.

Procyonpi
2011-11-16, 11:26 PM
Well true, although that is a rule that could be bent. But I guess dismissal is still strictly okay since it "forces an extraplanar creature back to its proper plane if it fails a special Will save" - which V could choose to fail.

V needed scrolls for Dismissal during the battle of Azure City.

rbetieh
2011-11-17, 12:29 AM
V needed scrolls for Dismissal during the battle of Azure City.

Are you sure she didnt just scribe a bunch of scrolls because V figured she would need more spells than her spell slots allowed, it was a war after all?

DougTheHead
2011-11-17, 02:35 AM
Maybe, but that's not the point. He doesn't go out of his way to follow dramatic convention like Elan or Tarquin. He got his approach from his mother (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html), afterall.

Thanks for clarifying my original point- you're right, I was talking about Elan and Tarquin both having the same approach to dramatic convention, not so much about the way they sound or looked. Roy finds Nale equally annoying, sure, but in his own way.

faustin
2011-11-17, 02:52 AM
Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post

I personally like the idea that s/he'll be rescued by Durkon casting "Summon Monster: V."
I like this idea much better.

Blackwing can still urge the Order in the seeking of his master (even if they still think BW is nothing but an illusion spell). If not, Quarr may be forced to subtly interventions (his true Lords still need V as a pawn, and Quarr knew this fact when he gave Z the coordinates of that plane ).
And above all, V is a main character, so the question is how he will manage to escape.

Halleflux
2011-11-17, 02:56 AM
Upcoming scribble?

That would be neat, and it's about time for another anyways.

Hey Vegeta9000
2011-11-17, 08:11 AM
Everyone sings for scribble-drawings.... And so do I :smallsmile:

Kymme
2011-11-17, 01:48 PM
WAIT!!
V is still trapped on the semi-elemental plane of ranch dressing!!

Quackenbush
2011-11-17, 04:08 PM

Ivy's Ian's sister

Raistlin82
2011-11-17, 05:33 PM
Wrapping things up quite fast, I see.

Last time this happened was right before the Darth V vs Xykon fight.

I got a feeling something awesome is going to happen soon.

Chad30
2011-11-17, 07:49 PM
Darn you, Elan! Dramatic pause indeed. I don't know if Hailey's dad is right, or just being paranoid.

Halleflux
2011-11-17, 08:08 PM
WAIT!!
V is still trapped on the semi-elemental plane of ranch dressing!!

Yeah, but we can't make any really accurate predictions with that because the last comic with V was, like, two months ago. Probably gonna involve paying off the debt though.

However, if Rich doesn't do plotline related stuff in this next one (as in, the importiant stuff), well.... :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious: :furious::furious::furious::furious::furious:

Chad30
2011-11-17, 09:36 PM
Calm down. There really hasn't been much if any filler that I've seen.

Ridureyu
2011-11-17, 11:11 PM
I wonder. WIll that dramtic pause be long enough for him to die before actually saying the info?

i6uuaq
2011-11-18, 02:39 AM
I wonder. WIll that dramtic pause be long enough for him to die before actually saying the info?

Nope, because he didn't say the magic words (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0663.html).

FujinAkari
2011-11-18, 05:52 PM
However, if Rich doesn't do plotline related stuff in this next one (as in, the importiant stuff),

Uuuh... how is 'getting information about Girard's Gate' not important again?

Procyonpi
2011-11-18, 06:13 PM
Uuuh... how is 'getting information about Girard's Gate' not important again?

I think he was implying that Rich might switch scenes.

Cranica
2011-11-18, 10:48 PM

This must happen. I don't care if the script is already written, change it :D

Chad30
2011-11-19, 05:53 PM
That would definitely be funny, though some may consider it an ***pull. rule of Funny, though, as TV tropers might say.

Someone may say "But V's not a monster." Well, he's not a person of high moral character, either.

Ron Miel
2011-11-19, 08:42 PM
Someone may say "But V's not a monster." .

But he's in the Monster Manual
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0640.html

Jagos
2011-12-05, 02:55 PM
I'm not quite sure where that impression comes from. What, specifically, makes you say so? :smallconfused:

The problem with his dad is that he's Chaotic with no reason or rhyme to it. Whatever makes him feel a certain way, he's apt to go with it, so long as it's for the greater good and against Tarquin. It makes no sense whatsoever.

He was to be released, but he still felt the need to escape. He didn't like Roy's plans so he just went out the door. It's kind of frustrating.

Kish
2011-12-05, 06:01 PM
He was to be released, but he still felt the need to escape.
He stated unambiguously why he was running away: He didn't trust Tarquin to keep his word.

Ian Starshine has done many stupid and dubiously ethical things. "Not trusting Tarquin" is not one of them.